What would you change on the Iolite and why?

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
clear butane chamber , a screwed bowl (or lockable) an maybe a bit more heat and a better air/vap flow and a faster shut off maybe :brow:

Clear_Dome,

max

Out to lunch
I think a butane level indicator would be on everyone's list. And although the herb chamber does lock in place once it's in the unit, mine does have a little up and down play within the plastic housing. Doesn't seem to be a problem, but OTOH I can't see a reason for it if it's supposed to be like that. A little more plastic on the vent side would be nice. Maybe recess the vent area a little and have some solid plastic surrounding it to some extent for cooler handling. I'm sure a lot of users would like a temp control, but there's only so much you can cram in a small unit without increasing the price and compromising reliability.

max,

Ben

Bonjour,

I agree with the CD and max and i won't repeat what they say.

(but, among what they said, being able to adjust heat and having a butane level indicator would be especially appreciated)

I've not applied with an appropriate e-mail in order to be a future beta tester ( kind of lazy with it comes to that sort of things....selling myself :rolleyes: ) but if I had to suggest other improvements (not very expensive by the way) , here is what I would say:

*An additional mouthpiece extension like the biggest one you provide (the one with the screw threads ) to make it twice longer if wanted ( cooling down).

*a button for the piezo ignition strictly aligned (with no" play") in the longitudinal axis of manual thrust.

*an adapter for filling the fuel chamber ( like one can find inside the cap of butane cans) with the usual diameters of common butane cans.

*a more resistant transport pocket , especially in the corners (mine has gradually flattened having it in the pocket of a blue jean)

*a clearer and better translated manual (remember "broche de rglage de la chaleur"? ;))

*a simple and obvious means (without pressing the valve) to completely empty the butane chamber

*and also : Why not test different designs for the heating pin, more or less thick and/or sculpted (holes?) to provide better heating with a better flow of hot air thus increasing the power of the radiant heating pin? I'm quite sure there is a good "line of work" if heading in this direction.
if not too expensive it could give an opportunity to provide each unit with two pins, one as the current and another that would achieve a higher temperature if wanted.

Au revoir.

PS : forgive my poor English sometimes :/

Ben,
my :2c: < bear in mind that this is my 2cents australian, dunno how that stacks against the greenback or euro :lol: i too agree with those esteemed gentlemen max and cd, my biggest "want " is more airflow and more time for the intake air to be heated(spiral or rifled air intake "sleeve" maybe)and for that heated air to then be forced thru the herb perhaps by putting the air intake into the bowl itself, underneef the heat pin and bottom screen. also IMHYUCO there needs to be better airflow where the vapor exits the chamber into the mouthpiece. seems like too much of a bottleneck in terms of flow and cleaning,also one good rip on finely ground herb which as we all know produces the best vapor seems to "clog" the screen, admittedly a lil breath back in "unclogs" it but it also wastes a wee bit o vapor. So in conclusion, does any of that make sense? excuse me if it doesnt but this new GodBud is rather effective :ko: peace and many many thanks II team

thevapedcrusader,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I don't own one, but if I ever did, I'd want it all black...

Lots of nice 'colors' but it all looks childish in my opinion.
i-inhale-colors.gif

SpiralArchitect,

max

Out to lunch
thevapedcrusader said:
my biggest "want " is more airflow
Have you removed the moisture condenser from the mouthpiece? With that out of the path, and some tubing added, I don't have a problem with the airflow.

max,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I-Inhale wrote: What would you change or would like to see changed on the current model or even a new one?
First and foremost, sturdier parts (mouthpieces, piezo button, heat pin/herb chamber, etc.); an extremely clear/explicit owner's manual/warranty; and what you stated in your reply to LB couldn't hurt ("What we will be doing is improving heat in some areas of the herb chamber and removing heat from other parts. The objective is to make the mouthpiece cooler and improve vapour at the same time and also decrease initial heat up time.")--plus a cap to cover pre-filled bowls (filling in public can be hard--wind, etc.).

If I-I were able to make a unit that could safely handle more heat and a faster draw speed/volume, I think it would benefit them to come out with a GonG mouthpiece so people realize "SHIT! I can carry this with me, use it on the go AND as a rockin' home unit ! ! ! :o (A MAN CAN DREAM, RIGHT!)

Here is where the ideas begin to border on dreams, so feel free to stop reading if you wish :lol: :
I would want (some or total) temperature control (preferably rheostatic, but thermostatic if necessary, and digital with screen on/off option if possible) to compensate for environmental differences, personal preferences, etc. It would be cool if the small I-I had a relatively-equal-sized component that acted as a fan (like the Herbal Aire has), so the unit could be used with or without it...('It Exhales'?)... :lol: A glass insert for the bowl that gets heated from below?:cool: :lol:

If you would like any future insight, please do not hesitate to ask (I imagine my reply would be, "I-I Captain!" :lol: ).

I just LOOOOOVE PROGRESS! (it may sound egotistical, but I imagine you understand what I really mean :p ).

Progress,

Rmpl Stltskn

I would like to second the suggestions for a butane level window and an all black model, with no bubble graphics, more like an electronic device.

Also a latch or lock to keep the chamber attached to the main unit. I have a short length of tubing attached to the mouthpiece, and it's very tempting to hold it by the tube and let it dangle for one handed operation.

Rmpl Stltskn,

buddhaholic420

Grand master-vaper
jcw919 said:
im not sure, but if you send me a free one im sure i could be helpful :brow:
They have a beta progam that is listed in this forum. Might want to shoot them a message.

buddhaholic420,

kalinga

-replace aluminum pin and chamber to a stainless version for easier cleaning.
-make a smaller herb chamber(as an accessory) that will still accomodate the present pin and pin-chamber design for efficiency and herb conservation.
-redesign the fuel chamber so the owner can clean/replace the butane-filter
-reinforce any weak parts that are prone to breakage when unit is dropped

kalinga,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Okay... A pretty new user here and I'm waiting for a 2nd one that I understand is re-designed a bit but... My thoughts...

I'm glad I'm not the only one always wondering how much fuel is left... I've never used butane before and had a problem with the nozzle on the Colibri brand suggested (bought 12 bottles that won't work :( ) I also think some sort of adapters for different butane nozzles would be great!

I also wish the little dots weren't on the unit so it could be more stealth.

The chamber/mouthpiece comes off my unit VERY easily and unexpectedly. I'm hoping the new one will lock on better.

I think the extended mouthpiece should come standard. The mouthpiece that comes with is WAY too short and gets HOT. Thank goodness I had a piece of tubing around or I'd have been a sad puppy!

Of course if there is anything that could be done to make more efficient use of the herbs... That'd be great.

A herb storage tube that fits in case and is slightly smaller than herb chamber for on the go filling would be nice but not a big deal.

If I totally reach for the stars.... I'd love one that ran on re-chargable batteries where I could pop in spare batteries versus fuel up while on the go but not lose any of the function ;)

I haven't had mine more than a few weeks and I'm still getting used to it but I enjoy it so much I ordered a 2nd one.

Lo,

niall

A lanyard hole at the top of the unit.

It would be really, really handy to be able to have a wrist-strap to secure the iolite like a digital camera, or hang it around your neck.

Some kind of locking mechanism for the bowl

Every newbie I've seen picks it up by the mouthpiece stem unless shown how to hold it. But even after using it for months I still occasionally bump it and spill out the bowl into my pocket or worse.

Replace the white mouthpiece tip with a black version.

White draws too much attention to an otherwise stealthy tool. It would otherwise look like a mobile phone or walky-talky, but the white tip says otherwise and people can't as easily rationalise what they just glimpsed in your hand.

Improve heat characteristics of the entire mouthpiece.

Even with the white mouthpiece it still gets way too hot for my liking. I guess this is a toughie as it'll be a compromise with vapour re-condensing.. but hopefully there is a solution that won't compromise vapour quality and delivery.

Switch all mouthpiece attachments to the same slot-in join rather than threaded (aside from the bowl)

Aside from the bowl stem, it'd be nice to have a standard slot-in joint with a variety of different stem sizes not just 2 sizes. This would also make it easy to join them all up in different combinations for even more choice in stem length.

Butane window?

Personally this was my #1 observation, but in reality I don't need it and would never check. I just refill it as required, or top it up if I know I'm going to be using it a lot that day.

Smaller case

The all black case without the i-inhale logo is an improvement, but it could be made shorter. There's a lot of room above and below the iolite which is not able to be used. Perhaps on the opposite side there could be elastic straps (perpendicular to the iolite's strap) to safely hold mouthpiece stems or even have these beside the iolite in their own strap.

There's a lot of wasted room which can't easily be utilised. The magnetic pocket is great, but if it was full height then you could store bulky objects at the bottom and top using the spaces around the iolite when closed. Just seems like you should make all space useful, or make the case smaller and less bulky.

A hard, moulded case would be awesome. I find I don't use the soft case at all now, just carry the iolite and a stem in my pocket. Having a lanyard hole would mean I'd carry it around my neck and use a wrist-strap while using it... so yeah the case is not useful enough or small enough for me to want to use it while travelling.

More separated exhaust/intake

I'm not sure much can be done to improve the location of the air intake, but separating it further from the exhaust (if possible) would be great. I've gotten into the habit of only inhaling while the unit is not exhausting but if it's possible to move them further apart then even better.

Stainless steel pin

Same as the previous comments, and it'd be nice to improve the durability of the thread and perhaps you guys could try a variety of different heat pin shapes and sizes?

Stainless bowl could be made liquid safe

I noticed some of the newer beta models have a rounded bottom for the bowl - seemed to be one piece of stainless. Something like this to vape oil or hash (as long as the unit is kept upright while in use and cooling off) would be a really great bonus.

Improved bowl design

The bowl design isn't great. It's relatively difficult to pack a new bowl or to clean out an old one. The plastic around the bowl often catches what spills over and it's a pain to clean that out other than half attaching the bowl and blowing it out. I've started filling the bowl on the main unit rather than the lid attached to the mouthpiece, the whole upside down thing was a pain and I find I get better heat exposure filling it bottom up. But there's got to be an easier way of filling. Like some of the whip style vapes it would be nice to be able to suck up your herb like a straw through the mouthpiece.

90 degree adapter for mouthpiece

It'd be nice to have a 90deg adapter for the mouthpiece. It could then fold away alongside the top of the unit when not in use - this could even be incorporated as part of a bowl locking mechanism. Then when you want to inhale rotate it 180deg out. Could make for improved stealth and let you fold it away and stick in a pocket quicker and it won't be as uncomfortable. I prefer removing the entire stem, but if I could fold the stem back then just as good imho.

Gnurled grip on the first mouthpiece stem

To make it easier to unscrew the mouthpiece add a gnurled grip - just for the first one, otherwise all slot-in joints as above.

Temperature influence, if not control

I'm no expert on bi-metallic temp control, but if it was possible to slide a switch that exposed a heatsink somewhere in the temperature path then it would be possible to slide this into one of 2 positions giving the normal 190degC or when enabled a lower temp such as 180-185, kind of a brute force heat sink approach rather than adding any electronics. Part of why I like this unit is there are no electronics, saw a post of a guy dropping his in a spa - dried it out and all working fine - that convinced me ;)

Ummm.. will think some more I'm sure I've had other thoughts on this :-D

And yes I'd love to test out future beta units :-)

niall,

max

Out to lunch
lo said:
I'm waiting for a 2nd one that I understand is re-designed a bit
I hope you get a unit with the changes. I don't know how long iolite's been shipping the newer unit and I'm sure some resellers are still selling the original. If your new one has no bottom screen and the heat pin is fixed to the bottom, you're good. If not, just unscrew the pin, remove the screen and carefully screw the pin back in. Stripping the threads is easy and is the main reason for making the pin permanent.

I also wish the little dots weren't on the unit so it could be more stealth.
You can remove the label from each side yourself. You may have to use a little gum remover for the adhesive. It's been done before-no effect on the warranty. There's a pic on the iolite thread-all black unit.

I think the extended mouthpiece should come standard.
You should have one. I bought one of the first ones shipped last Oct. and the kit had an extension. It's always been included. It slips right into the end of the mouthpiece. There should also be a 3/4" white tip that fits into either the extension or the mouthpiece. It adds a half inch. You get two 2" total with the tip and extension.

max,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Hey Max!! Thanks for the info! I had removed the bottom screen and then put it right back without even using it because I wasn't sure if I should remove it. I definintely have the old style and talked with a supplier mentioned here about getting an updated one :) so I'm waiting on that one now.

I peeled off my stickers this morning too - Yeah!! Thank you... Didn't know they'd come off so easily, again - was afraid to mess it up!

I am not sure if my kit was messed up when I bought (new from a supplier mentioned here). I did not get 2 of those 7 hole dealios everyone mentions when talking mods... Only one in the bag with one of the screens with hold in it. I did receive several bits of black plastic mouthpiece parts but not all of them screw into each other so I just assume it's two short sets... I just added a bit of tubing from the Vapir and that works for me. I think I like the tubing just fine though it's collecting a bit of honey oil, have to see how that works.

Thanks again Max!

Lo,

magicmonkey

I love being out and about with my iolite, and overall I'm very satisfied, but I've found a few interesting deficiencies
#1 It needs a lockable bowl. It loses some of it's "portable-ness" when the bowl comes apart so easily.

#2 I usually wait 2 cycles before hitting while between vapes. If I'm indoors, it's no problem keeping track of it (although, honestly... I do occasionally lose track once my mood's better :lol:). I wish instead of just one light I could see something like a progress bar. It doesn't have to be anything dramatic or electronic; it could just be a bowl thermometer with a light behind it, instead of the orange blinking light. This would tell me a lot more.

#3 I have no idea when it's close to out of butane until I'd like to use it, but end up with the disappointing discovery of "oh... there's no butane in it". It would a significant user experience improvement to have a butane meter by just making some parts out of transparent/translulect, instead of black, plastic.

magicmonkey,

max

Out to lunch
It needs a lockable bowl.
Won't happen on this model. It'll cost ya more.

I wish instead of just one light I could see something like a progress bar.
Again, anything like that is gonna cost more. I don't think it's likely they'll do anything like this. The vape's ready to go in a couple of minutes.

It would a significant user experience improvement to have a butane meter by just making some parts out of transparent/translulect, instead of black, plastic.
Just see through plastic like some disposable lighters use can't be done. Butane would eat at that kind of plastic over time. Another feature for a more expensive model.

max,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
An all white stem for the mouthpiece so it would resemble a straw when using it in a cup. The black kinda stands out.

highendvapes,

max

Out to lunch
A piece of vape tubing takes care of the straw camouflage very well.

The improvement I'd like to see is in the area of reliability. Too many units have quit working.

max,

magicmonkey

Won't happen on this model. It'll cost ya more.

Again, anything like that is gonna cost more. I don't think it's likely they'll do anything like this. The vape's ready to go in a couple of minutes.
I guess I don't really know here, but I was imagining a simple latch and a thermometer. It might raise costs $10 tops. If they'd like to charge more then I'd be glad to pay $20 more if Oglesby & Butler will produce a "premium" model that has significantly more functionality.

Just see through plastic like some disposable lighters use can't be done. Butane would eat at that kind of plastic over time. Another feature for a more expensive model.
You gotta be kidding me. I have those long candle lighters that refill with butane, which I got from Wal-mart for $10, like 5 years ago. I've been refilling and reusing those lighters without problems; and they have a transparent fuel window. I can't imagine any iOlite lasting beyond 5 years.

magicmonkey,

max

Out to lunch
If they'd like to charge more then I'd be glad to pay $20 more if Oglesby & Butler will produce a "premium" model that has significantly more functionality.
That's probably what will happen. They don't want to make any changes in the current model that would require altering the housing on the unit.

I've been refilling and reusing those lighters without problems; and they have a transparent fuel window.
Just repeating what the iolite rep told me.

I can't imagine any iOlite lasting beyond 5 years.
I'm sure both the company and all owners can imagine it (except for you I guess). We all want products that last. I'm still driving a car I bought new 20 years ago, and using a microwave that's 27 years old.

max,
Top Bottom