What is the temperature of the vapor?

psoul

hi
gettin into this new world
so i understand the vaporizing temperature for herbs, and how it works
i can't understand btw the temperature of the vapor when u breathe in it, i've seen (but might be wrong) that on normal joint combustion is really high, but then temperature drop massively when u breathe, wondering if is the same for vaporizer and if anybody have ever crossed an article or similar
of course it is basically related to vaporizer model, but just to have an idea, more curiosity
yo

psoul,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
The temperature of your vapor will depend on a few things. First is the temperature you are vaping at. This can be anywhere from about 350*F to a little over 400*F.

Next is the length and materials in your air path. Longer air paths deliver cooler vapors. Short air paths can be hot and harsh. Some materials cool more than others.

Next we come to diffusers (bongs, HyrdaTubes, bubblers), dry cooling units etc. If you moisture condition your vapor, or use a "car muffler" type cooling unit like what comes with the Crafty/Mighty, your vapors will be much cooler, less harsh, and may even taste better. Many people here love to moisture condition their vapor, I do, but I don't all the time.

Finally, another factor is how much air might be mixed with your vapors. Air that passes through a heater will be hot, however, some vapes have carb holes, some adjustable, and these let in fresh air to mix with your vapor thus cooling it.

Also, different vapor paths will offer different levels condensation. When vapor condenses on a surface the laws of physics tell us that this will lower its temperature. Its a latent heat thing. It is also interesting to note that condensers remove some harshness as well. The compounds with the highest boiling points will condense out first but I doubt that fractional condensation in a vaporizer could be used to isolate compounds effectively.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Enjoy your vapors . . . :)

Last edited:

psoul

hi t-dub
thanks a lot for the reply
anyway apart that is all relative, i'm aware of this, but is there any test or reference? i mean from a specified vaporizer or similar do we know a temperature to understand a bit more?

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
hi t-dub
thanks a lot for the reply
anyway apart that is all relative, i'm aware of this, but is there any test or reference? i mean from a specified vaporizer or similar do we know a temperature to understand a bit more?
Vaporizer manufacturers focus on the temperature you are vaping your herbs at and not so much on vapor temp at the mouthpiece. This is because different vaporization temps will give you different effects from your medicine. Since vapes are variable temp, measuring vapor temp at the mouthpiece would seem to be a long, difficult, and pointless exercise for manufacturers to undertake. I can't think of a single manufacturer who does this. People just vape and judge from their personal experience wether or not additional cooling is necessary.

Edit: Draw speed can affect this as well along with whip length if using one.

Last edited:

psoul

yes i've notice there is no info about, still dunno i feel some curiosity about this
anyway thanks a lot for the info, let's see if someone else had this curiosity before me and had an answer

psoul,

C No Ego

yes i've notice there is no info about, still dunno i feel some curiosity about this
anyway thanks a lot for the info, let's see if someone else had this curiosity before me and had an answer

your only way to tell is real time on the draw= how does the vapor feel on the inhale? that is how you determine it and then adjust that flow with water tools- extensions etc... in terms of harms with vaporizing etc... tests have been done and comparisons are of a firefighter breathing in heated air during putting one out.. those are the only real harm tests done for comparison purposes I know of... most vapes are made to condition the vapor at the mouthpiece some so it is not totally harsh at the inhale...

C No Ego,

psoul

yes exactly this
i've seen some use the glass to cool the air, other like mighty use the cooling system to let air pass trough inner hold and so reduce the temperature, and so on, many different system, other adding water and or longer mouthpipe
anyway other info are welcome, thanks

psoul,
Reactions: C No Ego

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Longer air paths deliver cooler vapors.

i found this to be true, also.

And, drawing the vapor into a larger volume before inhaling will also cool the vapor ... i go from the 12mm vial into a 18mm 6" long draw tube ... i tried using a 14mm 4" draw tube - not as nice, although it may be better for concentrates ... needs more testing if i could get concentrates i trust.

i've got a 25mm 6" long tube that feels like a bong.

MinnBobber

i can't understand btw the temperature of the vapor when u breathe in it
Others have focused on the temp of the vaporizer, like 400 F, but I think your question is- how hot is the vapor when you breath it, correct?

Best figures I found was that temps of 140 F + will burn your mouth so vapor is not hotter than this. Air does cool down very quickly/over a short path as even the 1000 F temp of a joint burning will cool down enough to not burn your mouth. So, vapor that starts out at "only" 440 F max will cool down quickly too/ cool over a very short vapor path.

That's why my "vape mantra" has always been:
- vapor does not need to be cooled (much) as heat is not the MAJOR issue.
- vapor needs to be moisturized as it is very very very dry and moisturizing offers the most dramatic increase in vapor quality IMO.

psoul

Others have focused on the temp of the vaporizer, like 400 F, but I think your question is- how hot is the vapor when you breath it, correct?

Best figures I found was that temps of 140 F + will burn your mouth so vapor is not hotter than this. Air does cool down very quickly/over a short path as even the 1000 F temp of a joint burning will cool down enough to not burn your mouth. So, vapor that starts out at "only" 440 F max will cool down quickly too/ cool over a very short vapor path.

That's why my "vape mantra" has always been:
- vapor does not need to be cooled (much) as heat is not the MAJOR issue.
- vapor needs to be moisturized as it is very very very dry and moisturizing offers the most dramatic increase in vapor quality IMO.

:)

psoul,
Top Bottom