Dabpress Rosin Plates

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
I just pressed some recently dried organic autoultimate lower buds. 14% yield at 220F on PID for 90 seconds, 3.25 tons of pressure, puck was 1.75" diameter. I am going to do an ethanol wash on these auto pucks soon to see what else is left in there. This rosin was very running though easy to collect when placed on a 1lb block of frozen butter. Taste was good, I think the flower probably tastes a bit better at this point but its still flavorful. The color started out a really light gold when it was juicing out, then when collected in a clump it was a bronze color. Effects are nice, the harshness was up there, I had a coughing fit!

2j3kv1l.jpg

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I just pressed some recently dried organic autoultimate lower buds. 14% yield at 220F on PID for 90 seconds, 3.25 tons of pressure, puck was 1.75" diameter. I am going to do an ethanol wash on these auto pucks soon to see what else is left in there. This rosin was very running though easy to collect when placed on a 1lb block of frozen butter. Taste was good, I think the flower probably tastes a bit better at this point but its still flavorful. The color started out a really light gold when it was juicing out, then when collected in a clump it was a bronze color. Effects are nice, the harshness was up there, I had a coughing fit!

2j3kv1l.jpg

Looks like some righteous rosin right there!

Alexis

Effects are nice, the harshness was up there, I had a coughing fit!
I was recently listening to Bubbleman's Hash Church episode "the past present and future of rosin", and he commented at one point on how he prefers to press from flowers which have cured for sometime to cure out certain terpenes which can be a bit harsh.

Im sure you have a lot of experience and ideas on this with a lot of comparison opportunities I bet, but maybe this is the main factor here relating to the harshness? (No need to answer btw just a thought)

Lasy year we did 3 Think Differents (I like it, its very non-debilitating and works any time of day, but I have found it not to be mold resistant enough and can be a late finisher too outdoors.

Anyway, we ended up with 3 different phenotypes a super lemony one which stank the place out a piney Christmas tree like one and the main one which is more like oranges and cinnamon. Of the 3 this one budded the best, the most like "proper stuff" that we had. Dense nugs and very good weed. Amazing amount of vapor from it too, like double as much as some others.

We had damp all summer and were trimming bud rot throughout to salvage buds and keep at bay. We did a good job, bit you end up with little jars all over the place of hacked up buds.
So I had a 500ml jar full of amazing buds from this one plant that were rescued. I loved this weed every single time. The smell was amazing, and it did cure into that grey/greenish fossil colour.

But not dried and cured properly, slowly of course. And this herb was always the most tickly/ aggravating on the throat. Im sure some strains/phenos are naturally higher in different terpenes, and I wonder if this jar was like that due to the scratchy terps being trapped in there, despite the herb still curing very well overall.

Sorry not sure what my point was now. But I can say that I am very excited about the prospect of ordering my Dabpress as soon as Im confident enough hopefully that there will be "product" to play with. Going good but boy is there a stink around. The Brooklyn Sunrise I picked this year for its uplifting high, with some body though (50/50 with Sativa high), mold and insect resistance, high potency and more.

However the one disad- it has a name for ponging from mid flower. Wow its like having incense in my room. Lucky we have no right-hand neighbours while the house is being prepared for reletting. The other neighbour has to Autos herself I help her out with it lol she does exactly what I say and she gets a harvest each year. :leaf::)

Edit- I still have 2 small mason jars full of that Orangey Think Different- the best, densest nugs after a long cure, about half ounce in each. I have saved it for when we have a new harvest of even better stuff and I will crack it open to celebrate then while the Sunrise is curing.

Last edited:

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Looks like some righteous rosin right there!

Thanks! That was also in the pre-press using 160u dabpress filter. I think if I set the PID to 230F the plates will be closer to 220F, perhaps that'll juice out an extra 1%. Always fun working with new strains! I should have pressed some of the autoxtreme though, the autoultimate doesn't have that sativa dominance.

@Alexis yes there are a lot of really early volatile terpenes which contribute to the harshness. I had suspected it, as just about every time I see bubbleman take rips of rosin or hash, he almost always coughs and I believe thats due to the high terpene content in his dabs. So, in a way I take it as a badge of pride if it's a bit harsh off the terps that just means there's a lot in there! Some are smoother than others, the cured buds seem to have the smoothest. I do think though that the buds have to be dried and cured to a certain point to reach a level of smoothness for preference. That being said, for those of us who are using concentrates to cut back on the irritation, I think a good 2 month cure is a safe starting point to avoid the harsh terpenes. I think you could also sample the flower throughout the cure, and see if it's smoothed out, may be a good indication it's time to press Your medicine.

The think different I have tastes like minty pine, the buds are not very pretty, but pretty dense.

5es3f6.jpg

psychonaut

Company Rep
Company Rep
Am I missing something? Are there more benefits using SS over whatever is standard.

The SS press will utilize a 10-ton cylinder and pump (sold seperately), it has a different look/form factor but same sized plates and heaters. The difference is 6-tons (upgradable to 8-tons) vs 10-tons, so that pretty much just translates into the amount of flower you plan to press at a time and form factor as the biggest differences. Both units are quite compact, especially compared to a DIY shop press like what we're using with the caged/non-caged plates.

Plus, the stainless unit is awesome looking. LOL

I think they should make a small self contained unit with 4" round plates. I just don't understand all this 'square plate' mentality. We are pressing round pucks with square plates. C'mon guys square peg in a round hole?? LOL I think the plates selection should be 4" diameter, 6" diameter, 8" diameter, etc. Rather than 3x5 and 3x7, etc.

My pucks were perfectly sized every time (2 grams) so the puck came out to within a few mm of the edge when completely pressed and all rosin went out starburst instead of trying to 'direction flow' it. And it was away from the plates almost instantly. For 3 gram pucks, a 6" might be perfect. I don't want to take this thread off topic with that conversation but, it just never made sense to me. LOL

I am harvesting some incredible Grape Stomper next week so I'm looking forward to pressing some flowers at different stages of curing/drying.

Alexis

@anasrzi I think also and not mentioned yet, there may be a price gap between the SS and bottle jack models. The bottle jack is such an amazing option to surface for me at this time, as it is just within my budget and very small and tidy. And it seems without much compromise except max pressing amounts.

So to me personally the bottle jack is a no brainer, but I was also curious if I was missing something else on the differences.

@psychonaut thanks that all resonates as does all you share. I can see your Think Different has some potency to it. Our last years autos, as good as the best wont yield anywhere near as high I dont think, going by your picture. Sun was lacking last year it was a washout!

Thats why it's so important to me this year with this amazing hot summer. Due to my fert allergies I havent had anything close to full potency weed for years. We have struggled with problematic outdoor grows, last year was the first time I ever had a sufficient personal supply with no fert allergy.

What is coming on now is vastly superior. An unsettling time now SO much to gain, SO much to...I dare'nt say it, but you wouldn't believe the hurdles we face. For starters they need moving round all day to catch enough sun. Big, heavy things too I tell you!

Hence why I wait a little before I order. This is a really positive new venture for me. I have nothing to lose. Maybe I cant even tolerate rosin? We'll see, I am quietly confident and very hopeful. Worth a try though if it doesn't work move on.

My ONLY real concern is material. I feel like we have this one unique shot to have high strength meds with good returns. All down to weather now really (and a bit of luck!). Heat wave coming this week to UK one day at a time, but only some sort of mind changing event will stop me from ordering the dp-bj6t35 this month as things stand today. :cool:

Alexis

@Alexis rosin is king! The quality you can get out for such minimal amount of effort is unbeatable! Solventless, chemical free goodness which vaporizes much more efficiently than whole flower.
I hear you bro, and I was actually thinking that it's not much more effort than grinding your weed once you have the pre pressed pucks ready of course I guess that is a little effort and collecting it afterwards too ok so it's not quite THAT simple lol.

But Im personally not intimidated by this process, I'm actually quite excited to put my hand to it. The process of bubble has always intimidated me with fatigue levels so high that only essential tasks are taken usually and even those can be unreachable targets (basic food and sleep).

But pressing rosin- I can't wait! It looks so fun and accessible, especially now with this work Roger is doing. :rockon:

dabpress.com

Manufacturer
@dabpress just gave you 5 stars on the pre press puck

Thank you very much!

Plus, the stainless unit is awesome looking. LOL

I think they should make a small self contained unit with 4" round plates. I just don't understand all this 'square plate' mentality. We are pressing round pucks with square plates. C'mon guys square peg in a round hole?? LOL I think the plates selection should be 4" diameter, 6" diameter, 8" diameter, etc. Rather than 3x5 and 3x7, etc.

My pucks were perfectly sized every time (2 grams) so the puck came out to within a few mm of the edge when completely pressed and all rosin went out starburst instead of trying to 'direction flow' it. And it was away from the plates almost instantly. For 3 gram pucks, a 6" might be perfect. I don't want to take this thread off topic with that conversation but, it just never made sense to me. LOL

I am harvesting some incredible Grape Stomper next week so I'm looking forward to pressing some flowers at different stages of curing/drying.

Square sized plates is easy to install more longer heating rods (high watt).
For example, 4"-diameter round plate only fit 3.5"-length heating rod, this length of rods will be less 150 watts.

very slow heating up

But if we choose square plates to install heating rods and make round-shape surface, it will be nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

MinnBobber

Is there a sweet spot for pressing without a filter??
What range for pressing bare-naked buds works , pre-pressed into small cylinder shape, but no filter??

I'm just guessing 1.0 - 1.5 g ?? I originally didn't want to wreck buds as a newbie,
so pressed like 0.5 G which not really seem worth the effort.

skube

Is there a sweet spot for pressing without a filter??
What range for pressing bare-naked buds works , pre-pressed into small cylinder shape, but no filter??

I'm just guessing 1.0 - 1.5 g ?? I originally didn't want to wreck buds as a newbie,
so pressed like 0.5 G which not really seem worth the effort.

I use 2.5g.Ramp up to pressure slowly.I have a pressure gauge on my setup.When you add a litttle pressure,the gauge goes down as the puck compresses and starts releasing the rosin.

superdang9000

Flameo Hotman!
So, I received my dp-bj6t35 press already, along with all the extra goodies. Processing and shipping was crazy fast... I ordered on Friday, it came this afternoon, and I've already pressed a couple 7 gram bags. :rockon:

It came fully assembled, I just made sure everything was nice and snug and thoroughly cleaned before running some homegrown bud I've had curing for several months.

I haven't ran any numbers yet, just wanted to make sure it worked and I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed so far. I'll be working to refine my technique and track efficiency as I learn more about this thing.

Anyway, thanks @dabpress.com! Couldn't be happier with the service, and looking forward to testing this sucker out more.

dabpress.com

Manufacturer
So, I received my dp-bj6t35 press already, along with all the extra goodies. Processing and shipping was crazy fast... I ordered on Friday, it came this afternoon, and I've already pressed a couple 7 gram bags. :rockon:

It came fully assembled, I just made sure everything was nice and snug and thoroughly cleaned before running some homegrown bud I've had curing for several months.

I haven't ran any numbers yet, just wanted to make sure it worked and I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed so far. I'll be working to refine my technique and track efficiency as I learn more about this thing.

Anyway, thanks @dabpress.com! Couldn't be happier with the service, and looking forward to testing this sucker out more.

Thank you for your comments.

dabpress.com,

Grifo

WOOO just got the best press so far! I was initially applying pressure way too fast and pressing way too hard. But this time i applied pressure slowly and once i started seeing rosing bubble out i applied more pressure. I used 3.4G pressed at 220F and got .9G for it.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
WOOO just got the best press so far! I was initially applying pressure way too fast and pressing way too hard. But this time i applied pressure slowly and once i started seeing rosing bubble out i applied more pressure. I used 3.4G pressed at 220F and got .9G for it.

That's what I'm talking about!! :rockon:gotta give the resin heads a second to melt and flow through the plant material. It's really a fairly gentle process once you start seeing how little pressure it takes to start flowing.

Top Bottom