What heating technology is superior to ceramic rod

Tremojem

I have heard ceramic rod heating is outdated and there are other methods of heating flower for vaporization.

I know there is torch or butane, and coil elements.

If there are more and a description of how it is used, that would be great.

Tremojem,

Tremojem

Auto assist heat sounds like what Onsen has claimed as well.

So this is cool...but what and or how is the heat created...

Tremojem,

florduh

It’s a controversial company, but AVS’s directly energized Silicon Carbide works well for concentrates. It might be a viable heating element for dry herb too. Most of my favorite herb vapes use a steel heating element. Maybe SiC would offer a slight flavor bump.

florduh,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
what and or how is the heat created...
In the Evo, the glass "bamboo", or insert is tapered in the middle. Wrapped around the tapered glass is a metal coil that heats the glass by rheostat control. Total glass airpath. Product is suspended at top of bamboo in a metal basket for flower, and a modified glass tube for concentrates. There are various ways to "hit" it. Through water, dry, etc.

Last edited:
macbill,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
There are a wide variety of steel heaters for pure convection on demand portable vaporizers, they are not necessarily coils, and they are not necessarily always steal either... TM uses steel ribbon, Nomad uses nichrome ribbon, RBT high surface area heaters are steel mesh over ceramic or mica panel, Tetra uses spiral steel coils within glass tubes, a lot of big desktops use metals too sometimes with ceramics as well (kanthal is a metal you will see used by some too)

Tremojem

Great read...thank you.

Wow the Evo sounds interesting.

I see a benefit with steel on glass, with all glass dedicated air path. I like how it sounds anyway, as I am not an expert.

Shit Snacks

Great read...thank you.

Wow the Evo sounds interesting.

I see a benefit with steel on glass, with all glass dedicated air path. I like how it sounds anyway, as I am not an expert.

Yes you can even use a whip with Evo! ;)

Shit Snacks,

Shit Snacks

If you do go that route, I'd recommend a wrapped whip from Lamart (makers of Tetra) as they are super nice, all you need is glass 18mm female whip adapter for use with Evo (also you can grab Lamart's Piro to try direct torch style convection very easily!)

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: Tweakz

Tremojem

After using my new Ditanium last night for the first time, I can say without reservation that this NEWB is impressed.

Nothing to compare it to other than my PAX3 and Mighty.

So now I have to get a Super Surfer to compare...lol.

I don't feel confident anymore in the EQ, so I won't be pursuing that as an option. Too many reports and pics of filthy air path and stuck or broken glass.

So for now I like the ceramic rod heater technology.

Pure flavourful, smooth, cool, thick or thin clouds of joy.

Texus

After using my new Ditanium last night for the first time, I can say without reservation that this NEWB is impressed.

Nothing to compare it to other than my PAX3 and Mighty.

So now I have to get a Super Surfer to compare...lol.

I don't feel confident anymore in the EQ, so I won't be pursuing that as an option. Too many reports and pics of filthy air path and stuck or broken glass.

So for now I like the ceramic rod heater technology.

Pure flavourful, smooth, cool, thick or thin clouds of joy.
It is an effective technology as the positive reactions to Ditanium, Terp Torch and others have shown. (BTW, getting flower a touch closer to the heater in the Ditanium is nice if you are hunting really heavy hits, I do this with DDave kit, and Sneaky Pete glass piece does this too IIRC).

Let's not forget how effective good implementation of old tech can be. Another great example is the brute force of the kanthal heater and massive ceramic body of the VapBong.

Though yes, new tech can be fantastically implemented too, and open up new horizons. Specifically, I am thinking of induction heaters. Amazing for Dynavaps (especially adjustable options like PWM models by Fluxer), and killer for concentrates in the Dr Dabber Switch. But note that most feel that the Switch doesn't do flower as well (from what I can tell this is a matter of the device's airflow rather than the induction tech, which Dynavaps amply demonstrate can work great with flower).

Last edited:
Texus,
Reactions: arb

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Most heaters are actually coils/wires ! Those ceramic rod heaters has a NiCr wire encased within,the VB is similar but has Kanthal wrapped around a ceramic rod . I dont know if it can be called superior ,but check the Musa vaporizer,it uses a Halogen bulb like the Aromed 4.0 ,bulbs have coils inside the quartz bubble.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Ceramic rods are great for soldering irons...Induction Heating would be superior :2c:

LesPlenty,

Texus

Ceramic rods are great for soldering irons...Induction Heating would be superior :2c:
But so much comes down to implementation. I'd be surprised to find many vapers who don't prefer Ditanium ceramic rod hits for flower over flower in the induction heater Switch.

And there is zero new tech that I would take over my VapBong for flower. There is some analogy between the high mass, brute force approach of the VapBong with the old car saying that "there is no replacement for displacement."

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Vapbong has a kanthal heating wire that is an irritant to some and is as old tech as you get (like an incandescent bulb), I just answered the OP question on what tech is superior to an old soldering iron rod, also, not how it is implemented as different makers can fuck things up (eg Switch vs Dablamp). :2c:

LesPlenty,
Top Bottom