What does thc % mean.

Baron23

That means by weight it is 35% THC, AFAIK.

By the by, for herb that would be the highest figure I have seen on tested flower by maybe 7-10%.

Baron23,
Reactions: OF

herbivore21

Have not seen a good explanation of what it means. I got some 35% bud. What does that mean.
It means that you've been given a suspect number. Flowers do not have 35% active THC IME, no exceptions. Flowers have varying amounts of THCA (I've never heard of flowers being 35% THCA by weight either) and maybe very small single digit or less percentages of active THC.

The most recent hash church featured a discussion on this. Google Hash Church episode 119 to get some more explanation (saves me a lot of typing lol).

THC is often conflated with 'potency' or psychoactivity of a cannabis product. This is a very flawed view of cannabis that does not consider the psychoactivity of other terps/minor cannabinoids (nor the potential for some of each of these kinds of compounds to reduce the psychoactivity experienced from THC)!

Anybody who has used pure THC will tell you that it is pretty boring on its own compared to hitting flowers or concentrates with much less THC and more of the minor cannabinoids.

killick

But I like it!
I have some Bubba Kush from WMMC - here's there version of lab analysis. My batch says 27.3%, as opposed to the 23.7% listed below from their website. Citizens aren't allowed to test in Canada as yet, so we blindly trust that the El Pees are doing the right thing...

LABORATORY ANALYSIS

CANNABINOIDS
TERPENES
https://whistlermedicalmarijuana.com/products-shipping/medical-cannabis/

killick,

MinnBobber

the only way to determine thc% is lab test right?
But now you can bring the lab into your home.... if the price is right.
Portable is $699 plus.
https://www.cdxlife.com/canna-sensor/

they also say the sensor needs replacing every 6 months for $70 per.
You'd need to be a serious consumer to get this bad boy.

Back to THC %;
just like beer or wine where having a higher alcohol % does not mean it's a better product, having a higher THC % does not mean it's better.
But some minimum threshold % is important to me: I'm not going to buy a 10% product if there are great 18%, 22%, 26% options UNLESS I'm shopping for a high CBD strain where a 6% THC/ 6% CBD might be great strain choice

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Generally a high THC content means the bud was grown well but then again not all strains have high THC content. I'd rather have a well balanced strain than something with an overwhelming amount of THC on its own like Sour D.

Winegums,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I have always believed that cannabis therapy is all about ratios of cannabinoids to one another. Then you add your terpenes in and you get the "entourage" effect. Different ratios "play" a different "tune" on your endocannabinoid system. Pure THC by itself is not much fun, it has to be down regulated by CBD etc. This video is a perfect example. You can see this woman gets an intravenous infusion of THC/CBD and laughs her ass off but the next time she just gets THC and has a really bad trip.

Last edited:

PPN

Volute of Vapor
You can see this woman gets an intravenous infusion of THC/CBD
I thought the main reason the THC was not really used as a medicine was cause it was not "hydrosoluble" and can't be infused/injected by intravenous or others similar infusions/injections....?

PPN,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I thought the main reason the THC was not really used as a medicine was cause it was not "hydrosoluble" and can't be infused/injected by intravenous or others similar infusions/injections....?
Correct, however, there are medical solvents for both polar and non polar ingredients. Hydrosoluable just means polar solvents can be used, however, most of our medicine is non-polar in nature, oil/fat based. They probably purified the cannabinoids using a super critical distillation rig, and once they had chemically pure examples dissolved in a sterile, bipolar liquid medium, they had it.

Last edited:
Regarding laboratory total THC % marketing numbers, ala http://steephill.com/blogs/28/Why-Do-Labs-Report-Total-THC-So-Differently?- this past week's episode of hash church had Ryan chime in about what test numbers really mean:
But since just about every dispensary that has testing results available shows the total amount of THC (THCa+THC) we just have to know that the actual ingested amount of delta9THC is significantly lower. In the Steephill example we have a sample with 15% THCa and 3% THC = 18% "total" THC. But when it's multiplied by 0.88 (loss of mass due to decarboxylation) and again by 0.75 (total conversion inefficiency is about 75%) the actual available THC is only 12.9%. Unfortunately many labs just report "total THC" without any of that calculation. At least in the SCLabs example in my post they showed that the max THC was less than the THCa.

Cannabinoid Summary
red-box.png
Total THC Δ9THC+THCa 28.34 %
Total Potential Δ9THC 249.8 mg/g 24.98 %

A user would have to then do the last calculation to arrive at the likely THC availability: 24.98%x0.75=18.7%
But of course that's not really true per Steephill's method of calculation. It would be 27.4x0.88x0.75=18.08+1=THC of 19.08%

Last edited:
archangelz001,
Regarding laboratory total THC % marketing numbers, ala http://steephill.com/blogs/28/Why-Do-Labs-Report-Total-THC-So-Differently?- this past week's episode of hash church had Ryan chime in about what test numbers really mean:

Ok I watched the video and the conversion stuff was interesting but I still did not understand in this case
the 30% thca. So is this telling me that if I have a bud then 30% of that bud is thc thca etc. The trichomes are just a very little part of the bud. I cannot believe that they compose more than a very few percentage of the total bud. So what is the 30% - 30% of what. This was not answered in the video

MonsterWithoutBorders,

TwistedGray

Ok I watched the video and the conversion stuff was interesting but I still did not understand in this case
the 30% thca. So is this telling me that if I have a bud then 30% of that bud is thc thca etc. The trichomes are just a very little part of the bud. I cannot believe that they compose more than a very few percentage of the total bud. So what is the 30% - 30% of what. This was not answered in the video

I don't know myself, but maybe it's 30% of the total it could be which is not 30% of 100% of the plant but rather 30% of 100% of the potential available content.

TwistedGray,
Top Bottom