What do you guys want to see in a vaporizer?

Trixer

Alright,

So I think I might try my hand at designing a vaporizer, I am honestly rather new to the vaping scene only about two months have I taken combustion out of my life!

So what kind of features do you guys expect and want to see out of a vaporizer. I am going to to attempt to design one that matches all of these or most of these needs. Nothing I am going to be serious about selling, but if it ends up working will I will do a tutorial on how to make one, as well as any chip designs and code you need. (It sounds daunting but its very easy)

Trixer,

FEAR420

Im surprised nobodies responded to this yet...:ninja:

So you wanna design a vape ehh? Seeing as how Im new to all of this the features that Ive seen and have been looking for are as follows...

1- Convection is an absolute must

2- Temp control - Analog/dial methods seem to work best for control with an LCD readout to monitor temps.

3- Tower Style/Top Loader - Seeing as how heat naturally rises,it only makes sense to have a top loader like the Extreme,V-Tower,Volcano,etc,etc...

4- Fan - The fan would serve multiple purposes. One being to help cool the heating element when done vaping...Sorta like a Turbo car and how youre supposed to let it run for a minute before shutting down to cool the turbine. It could also be used as an assisted-air/Bag filler system.

5- Captive bowl - A bowl with screens on both ends is optimal seeing as how nothing will fall out & onto the heating element.

6- LED showing the unit is ON & runnning. Ive seen a few people complain about the PD & some others that they couldnt tell if their unit was on or not.

Well there's my :2c: Hope it helps/gives ya some ideas :D

FEAR420,

greenmachinexlt

NoFuxLeft
I'd like to see something new in the mobile vape scene. Something that is super stealthy for a person like me that has spent 20 years being either careful, or lucky enough to not get caught while partaking on the go.

How about something that is a mix of the LB heating system and the size of an IOlite? Make it look just like a cell phone and use a rechargeable battery with a car charger. Some cells still use a protruding antenna, so to me, that's what the tube should look like. That would be ninja stealthy.

Imagine if you will, sitting at a bar or restaurant, or even at home with company. Maybe the company is painfully boring, and even worse, they don't like herbs. You quietly slip your hand into your pocket and press a button on the side of your vapor-cell and make it ring. You pull your vapor-cell out of your pocket with a surprised look on your face and excuse yourself for a moment because you simply must take this call. Head outside, or maybe into the rest room and answer that important call. Hell you can even put it up to your ear between pulls and the deception is perfection. Nobody knows nuthin. :ninja:

Also give it an alarm that goes off at 4:20. :D

Hope I helped, and I would be happy to demo your prototype. Just let me know when you are ready. ;)

greenmachinexlt,

Bananiq

my preferences for a portable vaporizer are mainly

1. quality materials / vapor path - glass is a leader I think
2. convection / air flow method of heating
3. quick and easy usage - simple loading, heating, inhaling,

Bananiq,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
FEAR420 said:
Im surprised nobodies responded to this yet...:ninja:

So you wanna design a vape ehh? Seeing as how Im new to all of this the features that Ive seen and have been looking for are as follows...

1- Convection is an absolute must

2- Temp control - Analog/dial methods seem to work best for control with an LCD readout to monitor temps.

3- Tower Style/Top Loader - Seeing as how heat naturally rises,it only makes sense to have a top loader like the Extreme,V-Tower,Volcano,etc,etc...

4- Fan - The fan would serve multiple purposes. One being to help cool the heating element when done vaping...Sorta like a Turbo car and how youre supposed to let it run for a minute before shutting down to cool the turbine. It could also be used as an assisted-air/Bag filler system.

5- Captive bowl - A bowl with screens on both ends is optimal seeing as how nothing will fall out & onto the heating element.

6- LED showing the unit is ON & runnning. Ive seen a few people complain about the PD & some others that they couldnt tell if their unit was on or not.

Well there's my :2c: Hope it helps/gives ya some ideas :D
I don't own one, so I'm not sure, but did you just describe The Extreme Vaporizer?

Pseudonymous,

Vapaman

I want the thing to hold a good temp, good air flow, high quality materials for everyday use, and a sweet little swivel bottom lol...:lol:

Vapaman,

FEAR420

Pseudonymous said:
I don't own one, so I'm not sure, but did you just describe The Extreme Vaporizer?
Shit!!! I think I did...:lol: Either way...those are some damn nice features to have on a vape.

FEAR420,

vap999

Trixer:

First, you are going to have to make a number of fundamental, all-important decisions about what type of vaporizer you want and how you are going to build it. Low-power (e.g., 12 volts) or high-power (120 volts)? What basic approach - convection, conduction, a combination? Hand-held or desk-top; portable or fixed? With or without feedback-based, real-time temperature control; and associated with this, will it have no, a small, medium or massive heat sink? Heating element source - nichrome wire, a resistor, a cartridge or other industrial heater optimized for heating and longevity? Will you use insulation for what it was designed for or not (with most vaporizer designs simply not using any actual insulation, other than air/space and maybe wood)? Will the heated air (presuming it's a convection vape) contact metals, ceramics, glass, etc. (what will the heat exchanger and piping be composed of)? How do you plan to permanently connect/wire the heating element and any other hot electrical parts, with solder? What type of enclosure and venting will there be? And then, once you've started to figure these things out, you'll have to make innumerable more specific design decisions.

No matter what you decide on and build, you will encounter many unavoidable engineering problems, each requiring compromises and/or ingenuity.

With all of the time, effort and probably also money you will be investing in this project, you should be building it for your own use, not from others' wish lists. What are YOU interested in building? What's on your wish list? For example, are you interested in making something along the lines of any marketed vaporizer(s)? Which one(s)?

vap999,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Good post ... that pretty much sums up what i've been doing for the last 8 years to develop my Bud Toaster.

The first and foremost design principle for my vape is to have an all glass, and only glass, vapor path.

And after moving to computer temperature control, i discovered a heat sink is not needed if the heater has fast enough response.

So rather than incorporating a heat sink, an (almost) infinite current source can drive the heater and maintain the desired temperature. The Tesla electric car batteries (from A123Systems.com) can supply 70 amps continuous, 120 amps instantaneous.

Plus, the batteries make the vape portable. i love vaping on the balcony without having to sit right next to the AC outlet.

From my perspective you're right vap999 -- build a vape to satisfy your own needs. And solving the engineering problems is a great exercise -- icing on the cake.

Hippie Dickie,

Trixer

wow now thats the feed back I wanted, Ill do some sketches and see what you guys think!

Trixer,

dreadlocknot

jamesrock said:
I would love to have my volcano digit be as portable as the VM3.

I agree, what is it about that Volcano vapor? It dominates all of the portable models. Maybe a question of power source? Your VV is plugged into a lot more power than any of the portable energy sources are capable of.

What do you like about the digit so much?

dreadlocknot,

Egzoset

Banned
I'd want the vaporizer everyone wants but there's no unanimity at the moment so i'll simply suggest you read my "fantasy" thread backwards (otherwise you'd stop after a few post like most people do):

http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=108131#p108131

Who knows, you might find some source of inspiration in it that you'll like - but don't hold you're breath as it's only a fantasy...

Egzoset,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Your VV is plugged into a lot more power than any of the portable energy sources are capable of.

there are few plug in power supplies that can deliver 70 amps of current like the LiFePO4 batteries do.

Hippie Dickie,
Top Bottom