What’s up with imgur?

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
It’s just not the same not being able to download pics. I would be willing to donate $10 or $20 to be able to download pics again. I don’t like using the Imgur App and every time I go to Imgur it automatically pops up. Even when I get rid of the app. Every time I try to use Imgur it comes back. What a pain in the ass.

Sometimes when trying to make things work better the old way is often better.

natural farmer

We've been notified by imgur that the issue is due to the fact that we have a classifieds section. This is against their terms of service regarding non-commercial use (even though we don't make any money from sales) and so they are blocking their images to our forum.

While we continue to try to resolve this problem, the best solution for now is to simply add the add-ons that Pak provided a few posts back. These will essentially fix the problem for your browser, eliminating the issue. I realize this doesn't help everyone, but for Chrome and FireFox users, it's a simple workaround.

:peace:

So that workaround is just for desktop Chrome and Mozilla, right? :\

natural farmer,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations,

Tinypic works with no login or account needed

Same here, except i must remind the reader that TinyPic had its own dead-end episode a while ago, which actually caused me to switch to PostImages which then forced me to change again after their .Org domain started failing and it finally required a move to .CC instead, secure or not...

Forum administrators should retaliate in behalf of content creators, i suggest a multi-source option where dead links auto-magically fall down a list to promote healthier competition between hosts, although this would imply posting a same image more than once. After all it's our pictures they rely on for their intrusive 3rd-party data mining, right?

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

P.S.: ZERO cats if from FC.

HerbieVonVapster

We've been notified by imgur that the issue is due to the fact that we have a classifieds section. This is against their terms of service regarding non-commercial use (even though we don't make any money from sales) and so they are blocking their images to our forum.

Would they work with you if classifieds where a private member only area? Right now anything posted there shows up on search engines. Just thinking private without search tags might work? Wouldn't get the same traffic but better than nothing.

I am also willing to kick in a few bucks too if helps. Honestly I would rather give up the classified section than pictures if boils down to a choice.

asdf420

@steama I still don't see how installing that extension causes any privacy risks, it just seems to slightly reduce them, though it's useless against most tracking methods. Does it have any bugs that provide a vector for more tracking?

the one thing that worries me about that extension is, would disabling referrers for images not break many images? but it has an option for working around hotlink protection

Somehow, pictures seem to be working fine for me, regardless..

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
I can't get tinypic.com to work. I even registered, but when I copy the links over there, they don't show up in the the post reply box. :\

I installed the firefox added referenced in pakalolo's post & it works perfectly.

Last edited:
Summer,
@Summer I tried tinypic and it is working for me. Use the code that says, "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" and paste it right into your reply without using the "image" option.

It will look like this..... [IMG...]your file name from tinypic[IMG...] (without the dots after IMG. I had to do that or it would show an image.) :)

2n21so2.jpg

Hackerman,

Deleted Member 1643

Isn't the larger problem that new visitors to the site will find that the posts returned in their search results are not as helpful without their images? These visitors are unlikely to install a plugin. This makes FC less relevant. Switching to new image hosts is essentially abandoning this content. The administrators might ultimately conclude that this is the best (or only) approach, but it's still a loss that would be better avoided, if possible.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Totally agree!

Another vote for donations but do we have to be able to contact @vtac in order for the mods to make any changes? That maybe difficult to do. I haven’t personally used the classifieds here on the forum.

What a waste that all my pics are gone now off of FC. Many of the posts don’t make sense now.:huh:

I will give tinypics a try today.

Last edited:

Alexis

Everyone maybe I misinterpreted @Stu 's post but it sounded as if there may be a chance that this issue could still possibly be resolved with imgur if they can be persuaded that the terms of their contract/service are not being violated??

So fingere crossed that the (marvellous :bowdown:) mods can work some magic and put "Humpty Dumpty together again." :freak:

Last edited:

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Accept,

Isn't the larger problem that new visitors to the site will find that the posts returned in their search results are not as helpful without their images? These visitors are unlikely to install a plugin. This makes FC less relevant. Switching to new image hosts is essentially abandoning this content. The administrators might ultimately conclude that this is the best (or only) approach, but it's still a loss that would be better avoided, if possible.

:nod:

Excellent point to make, too bad i didn't know about FC's administrative problems a couple months before... So it's all starting to make sense now!

M'well, HTTP hosts with no HTTPS alternative should be rejected promptly anyway.

Good day, have fun!! :peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: steama

MoltenTiger

I've nearly always used tinypic for hosting images for forum posts. It's quick, easy and free.

It has had an issue once or twice with their server dropping, but I've noticed most of my posts still render images, even from years back. Most other uploads from other hosts disappear. This could be a feature for some, but the info is very much still in existence and fingerprinted to the uploader. You can see the pics cached just via Google images..

Imgur hosted pics were quite often mis-linked, I've seen many mod edits fixing this. Even when hyperlinked directly to the image file on Imgur, when formatted correctly and clicked on, it will direct the user to imgur. Tinypic images behave normally and expand to full size when clicked, keeping traffic at FC. It's much, much better.

Now with good reason to boycott imgur, I feel like it's time to say good riddance

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Why don`t FC just change things so we can post our pictures directly to the site, other Forums do and it is very easy to upload. I have never linked my own pics here and never will through a 3rd party site, it is too hard for an old prick like me to be bothered learning how.

Summer

Long Island, NY
I've nearly always used tinypic for hosting images for forum posts. It's quick, easy and free.

It has had an issue once or twice with their server dropping, but I've noticed most of my posts still render images, even from years back. Most other uploads from other hosts disappear. This could be a feature for some, but the info is very much still in existence and fingerprinted to the uploader. You can see the pics cached just via Google images..

Imgur hosted pics were quite often mis-linked, I've seen many mod edits fixing this. Even when hyperlinked directly to the image file on Imgur, when formatted correctly and clicked on, it will direct the user to imgur. Tinypic images behave normally and expand to full size when clicked, keeping traffic at FC. It's much, much better.

Now with good reason to boycott imgur, I feel like it's time to say good riddance

I can't get tinypic to work for me. I'm using it on a PC. I created an account & uploaded a couple of pics, then I click on the pic & enable Adobe (I have it set to disabled), I see all the codes to grab, but when I copy either the IMG code for forums & message boards or even the direct link for layouts, nothing happens when I past it in my post reply here. I don't know why? I would use it if I can get it to work.

Summer,

Summer

Long Island, NY
If you don't want to use the Chrome or Firefox add-ons as suggest above, you can always do this, but I find it a royal PITA so for me the add-on words great:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-splinter-by-rbt.23476/page-65#post-1273228

I quoted this post from another thread, so as not to reply there & be OT & for everyone's benefit here.

MT, I created an account on tinypic & uploaded 2 pics. When I click on a pic, & enable Abode which I enable manually, I get the codes. I have tried copying the code for message boards & forums & also the pics for layout, but when I go to paste here directly in the post reply box or even using the image link to insert, nothing happens. I don't know why? I'd use tinypic if I could get it to work.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Again, why don`t FC host the pictures? This is a good forum that would be great if I could just ad a picture directly. Surely it can`t be that hard to implement and it would save us having to talk about this shit instead of Vaping.
Fuck add ons and fuck giving any money to Imgur or anyone just to see pictures.:rant::disgust:

Summer

Long Island, NY
@LesPlenty, I don't know anything about what hosting entails, but the owner of this site has been MIA, & as I understand it, he's the only one with administrative privileges. So you either go with the browser add-on, post pics directly via another hosting, post a link to a hosting site with your pic or do the indirect viewing via the post reply box. Those are your only choices.

Edited to add: I asked the mods if they would move the 10 posts discussing this picture posting matter on the Cheap, high-quality bubbler?? thread to this thread so everyone has access to the information discussed ... & it gets rid of the OT there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom