Weird News Stories of the Day.....

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Man drags shark out of water, takes pictures on Florida beach

A man was filmed pulling a shark out of the water and pinning it down while passersby at a Florida beach stopped to take pictures.

More people have died from selfies than shark attacks this year

A 66-year-old Japanese tourist has died, and his travel companion has been injured, after falling down stairs while attempting to take a selfie at the Taj Mahal.

Hitler had micropenis, historians claim

The news under the jodhpurs keeps getting worse for Adolf Hitler.

Last edited by a moderator:

grokit

well-worn member
Charles Koch agrees with ... Bernie Sanders?
Koch says he agrees with Sanders that the country’s political and economic system is rigged in favor of the privileged few, and he agrees that our criminal justice system needs reform

"Today, if you’re poor and get caught possessing and selling pot, you could end up in jail. Your conviction will hold you back from many opportunities in life. However, if you are well-connected and have ample financial resources, the rules change dramatically. Where is the justice in that?"
:whoa:

BeardedCrow

I don't know if this would be classified as "weird" but hell, I'll put it here anyway.

The headline should read......"Mother Nature Self Corrects"

http://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/new-el-ni-o-photo-should-scare-the-shit-out-of-the-west-coast

Could this actually spawn hurricanes and tornados in SoCal?

Hmm, we got 95 degree weather in winter here in southern California.
Barely any rain, some snow in high elevation.

I was expecting heavy rain, we got less than normal.

BeardedCrow,

lwien

This is not a news story, but rather an advertisement that kinda blew me away. I guess it could be considered a weird news story in that it was news to me that a mass warehouse discount retailer like Costco would sell something that was this expensive, eh? Guess I'll just pick up one of these along with my months supply of toilet paper......

78Ho7BV.png

Last edited:

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Last edited:

gaseous_clay

WALTON COUNTY, GA. - A Georgia man trying to videotape shooting a lawn mower packed with explosives lost his leg.

One of Pressley's friends told investigators they put three pounds of Tannerite into an old lawn mower "to blow it up". That friend also told the responding deputy the entire incident was captured on video. It became police evidence.
11Alive obtained that video. It shows Pressley dressed in what appears to be a tactical vest, sunglasses, and a ball cap. He shoots a semi-automatic rifle at the lawn mower for 30 seconds, getting off more than 20 shots. On the last shot, the lawnmower explodes in a cloud of water vapor. Shrapnel can be seen flying in all direction. The camera shot wavers.
"I blew my leg off! Oh, [expletive]!"
That's when what's happened hits the amateur cameraman: "Aw, [expletive]!"
"Call an ambulance! Call an ambulance!" a voice is heard yelling. The video ends.

http://www.11alive.com/news/man-loses-leg-after-shooting-lawmower-full-of-explosives/99971283

grokit

well-worn member
:cool: Coming soon to the msm. You would think.

The company that bribed the world

It was the company with jet-set style and dirty hands. From the tiny principality of Monaco, Unaoil reached across the globe to pay multi-million dollar bribes in oil rich states. The beneficiaries? Some of the biggest companies in England, Europe, America and Australia..

In the list of the world's great companies, Unaoil is nowhere to be seen. But for the best part of the past two decades, the family business from Monaco has systematically corrupted the global oil industry, distributing many millions of dollars worth of bribes on behalf of corporate behemoths including Samsung, Rolls-Royce, Halliburton and Australia's own Leighton Holdings.

Now a vast cache of leaked emails and documents has confirmed what many suspected about the oil industry, and has laid bare the activities of the world's super-bagman as it has bought off officials and rigged contracts around the world.

http://www.theage.com.au/interactiv.../day-1/the-company-that-bribed-the-world.html

https://www.salon.com/2016/03/30/wo...ow_corporations_help_destabilize_middle_east/
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlik..._what_do_all_of_these_leaked_emails_from_big/

:popcorn:

grokit,
Reactions: macbill

lwien

This story is only weird because there are not many artists that feel so strong in their convictions that they would cancel a concert to do what they feel is the right thing. My respect for Springsteen just went up a couple notches:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruce Springsteen has canceled his concert in Greensboro, North Carolina, this Sunday in protest of the state’s new law that requires transgender people to use public bathrooms conforming to the sex on their birth certificates and restricts protections for LGBT people.

Springsteen explained his decision in a lengthy statement to fans.

“As you, my fans, know I'm scheduled to play in Greensboro, North Carolina this Sunday. As we also know, North Carolina has just passed HB2, which the media are referring to as the ‘bathroom’ law. HB2 - known officially as the Public Facilities Privacy and Security Act - dictates which bathrooms transgender people are permitted to use. Just as important, the law also attacks the rights of LGBT citizens to sue when their human rights are violated in the workplace. No other group of North Carolinians faces such a burden. To my mind, it's an attempt by people who cannot stand the progress our country has made in recognizing the human rights of all of our citizens to overturn that progress. Right now, there are many groups, businesses, and individuals in North Carolina working to oppose and overcome these negative developments.”

The rocker added he felt it was not the right time for him and the E Street Band to perform in North Carolina.

He continued, “Taking all of this into account, I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters. As a result, and with deepest apologies to our dedicated fans in Greensboro, we have canceled our show scheduled for Sunday, April 10th. Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry - which is happening as I write - is one of them. It is the strongest means I have for raising my voice in opposition to those who continue to push us backwards instead of forwards.”

"Bruce Springsteen is a hero and an icon because he gives voice, both through his music and his advocacy, to those who struggle against injustice and equality," Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin said in a statement, reacting to the Boss' announcement.

"It means so much that he has spoken out against this hateful bill on behalf of thousands of citizens whose rights and fundamental dignity are being trampled by the leadership of North Carolina."

Tickets for Sunday’s show will be refunded.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...th-carolina-due-to-new-law/?intcmp=latestnews

grokit

well-worn member
The Panama Papers Prove It:
America Can Afford a Universal Basic Income

If the super-rich actually paid what they owe in taxes,
the US would have loads more money available for public services

We should all be able to agree: no one should be poor in a nation as wealthy as the US. Yet nearly 15% of Americans live below the poverty line. Perhaps one of the best solutions is also one of the oldest and simplest ideas: everyone should be guaranteed a small income, free from conditions.

Called a universal basic income by supporters, the idea has has attracted support throughout American history, from Thomas Paine to Martin Luther King Jr. But it has also faced unending criticism for one particular reason: the advocates of “austerity” say we simply can’t afford it – or any other dramatic spending on social security.

That argument dissolved this week with the release of the Panama Papers, which reveal the elaborate methods used by the wealthy to avoid paying back the societies that helped them to gain their wealth in the first place.

Roads and transportation infrastructure. Educated workforces. Courts and legal systems. Innovations sparked by government funding, such as the internet. No one – no matter how smart or hard working – joins the American or global elite without making use of these shared resources.

But while working and middle-class families pay their taxes or face consequences, the Panama Papers remind us that the worst of the 1% have, for years, essentially been stealing access to Americans’ common birthright, and to the benefits of our shared endeavors.

Worse, many of those same global elite have argued that we cannot afford to provide education, healthcare or a basic standard of living for all, much less eradicate poverty or dramatically enhance the social safety net by guaranteeing every American a subsistence-level income.

The Tax Justice Network estimates the global elite are sitting on $21–32tn of untaxed assets. Clearly, only a portion of that is owed to the US or any other nation in taxes – the highest tax bracket in the US is 39.6% of income. But consider that a small universal income of $2,000 a year to every adult in the US – enough to keep some people from missing a mortgage payment or skimping on food or medicine – would cost only around $563bn each year.

A larger income, to ensure that no American fell into absolute abject poverty – say, $12,000 a year – would cost around $3.6tn. That is a big number, but one that once again seems far more reasonable when considered through the lens of the Panama Papers and the scandal of global tax evasion. Because the truth is that we have all been robbed, systematically, by the world’s wealthiest people, for decades. They have used those stolen dollars to build yet more wealth for themselves, and all the while we have been arguing with ourselves over what to do with the leftover pennies.

Enough. We have the money to solve our problems. The first step is to stop the global elite from hoarding and hiding it. Cracking down on tax evasion alone will not fund all our priorities, but the Panama Papers do put the lie to the politics of austerity.

A universal basic income would go a long way towards ensuring all Americans can have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, as promised way back in 1776. Some may disagree with the notion of an unconditional cash grant, or object to it going to everyone. Just don’t say we can’t afford it.

http://www.commondreams.org/views/2...-it-america-can-afford-universal-basic-income

grokit

well-worn member
One Day After The Panama Papers Were Leaked, IRS Headquarters Closes Then Catches Fire

As we have been covering this week, the release of the Panama Papers has created a panic among world governments, by exposing some of their darkest secrets.

In the leak, 11.5 million documents were stolen from Mossack Fonseca and were leaked to Suddeutsche Zeitung, who then turned to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists to examine the documents. In the time since, media organizations have been scrambling to sift through a large number of documents, in hopes of finding stories that they can spin to fit their narrative.

So far, most of the information to be released through the mainstream media has been directed at foreign governments and leaders, with a passing mention of several hundred American citizens who store their money offshore without reporting it to the IRS. Ironically enough, at the height of the Panama Papers publicity, a fire broke out in the basement of the IRS headquarters, leading to a full closure of the headquarters for over a week.

According to a short report from the Associated Press:

IRS headquarters in Washington will remain closed for the rest of the week while repairs are made after a basement fire in the building.The agency said in a news release Tuesday that Monday afternoon’s fire affected the air handling system. No one was hurt in the fire. The IRS says telework-ready employees are expected to telework from their approved location. Officials say tax returns are not processed at headquarters; taxpayers should continue to file their returns.

The timing of the fire and the closure have led many to speculate that perhaps the fire is an inside job, and created intentionally for the purpose of destroying records, which could possibly be evidence that correlates to Panama Papers revelations.

The building was closed and workers sent home approximately 45 minutes before flames engulfed the basement “due to electrical issues with the air-conditioning system,” an IRS spokesman said. He said that about 2,000 people work there but that “a few hundred” were still in the building when the fire broke out.

So far, there has been no indication from local authorities or representatives at the IRS as to whether the fire was an accident or an act of arson, and it is likely that this news will never be revealed. However, it is important to point out that the IRS headquarters is one of the most secure buildings in the country, which would make it nearly impossible for someone to start a fire in the basement unless they had authorized access to the area.

Aside from the mention of some Americans’ use of so-called “tax havens,” there have been no reports of the IRS being implicated in the Panama Papers through the mainstream media. But the mainstream media has yet to report on the full scope of the 11.5 million documents that were released. It is, however, possible that the IRS is expecting some sort of fallout from sensitive information, and is taking protective measures to safeguard their secrets.

It is also possible that they are somehow connected or complicit in the offshore tax avoidance that has been practiced by some American citizens. It is also yet another possibility that this is just a mere coincidence; but when there is smoke, there is usually fire.

http://www.activistpost.com/2016/04...rs-headquarters-closes-then-catches-fire.html

Top Bottom