Watercuring ABV for use in brownies - a pictorial from start to finish

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
So i finally collected enough ABV to make some brownies. I started with 28 grams of moderately vaped herb (which i forgot to snap a pic of - use your imagination) and decided to water cure it to see if i could get it to taste less nasty than it smells. I have never baked (or done anything with actually) with ABV, so this is all new to me. I just know i don't want to ruin perfectly good brownies with that taste!

Anyway, my setup consists of a permanent coffee filter that just happens to fit beautifully in an old yogurt container. ~patent pending~

0901001257.jpg

I put in the herbage and poured distilled water over it while stirring gently to thoroughly saturate the ABV. It takes a bit of stirring to get it good and mixed, otherwise the filter floats and you can't fill it to the top.

step back and go "eeewwww - that's fucking gross" as the water in the yogurt container turns to something that looks like coffee, but sure as hell does not smell like it. *blech*

this photo shows just how skanky the water got after just about 15 minutes of sitting there.

0901001242a.jpg

I plan on changing the water daily for 5-7 days, or until it is as clear as i think it will get, drying out the resulting material in the dehydrator, grinding again if needed, then baking into some scratch brownies.

Not sure whether i'll bother making canabutter first or just throwing the powder right in with the flour and removing some flour from the recipe to compensate for it.

Going to take pics along the way, success or failure.

herbgirl,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Awesome! :D

Cant wait to see how your WC journey of (ABV) comes out! Do me a favor if you would - attempt to smoke or even revape some of your ABV. Just to take note of how its drastically changed! (Hint - im sure it will be as smooth as a babys bottom)

AGBeer,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Well, I plan :lol: on setting a bit aside to smoke, vape, and possibly do QWISO. or i may just end up making a double batch in a 9X13 pan! who knows?! they freeze, right?

It's fun to be doing new things with one of my favorite herbs.:):)

herbgirl,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
I use an old coffee can to store ABV. I have noticed that it basically makes my ABV smell exactly like coffee (which I love, but hate the taste of). I did a little ISO extraction with some (about 7 grams) ABV two days ago and got about 1.5-2grams of what I am calling 'Grease'. Lets just say that I have used vary little bud the last few days!

Just set half a cup aside and let the water evap. It will take a while since it isn't ISO but I would assume it still works. My 'Grease' DOES NOT taste bad (it doesn't really taste good, like normal hash) and actually smells like coffee! Looks like and has the consistency of chocolate syrup...maybe a little thicker.

finchrock24,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
finchrock, you just made me realize that i could put a drop of essential oil of choice inside my ABV container and have flavored/scented ABV. :o

I have been playing with essential oils and weed for about the same amount of time, almost 20 years, and I never had the idea to do that until now.

Holy crap! I could also use some to flavor my bud as well. a cotton ball in the storage mason jar with just a drop of lime oil would be amazing! ooooh, or mandarin or mint or even coffee essential oil!

A few times I have vaped a trench with the addition of one half of a dried organic spearmint leaf from my garden and it was very pleasant. Somewhat reminiscent of when I used to smoke menthols, but nowhere near as strong.

-whole nother thread, i got excited, sorry. :D:D

herbgirl,

finchrock24

Proud MMJ Patient
Well I'm glad you got some useful info outta me! I have always wondered what other people put in with there herbs for extra flavor. What do you recommend thats easy to get and tasty?

finchrock24,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
*off topic, but it's my topic**
finchrock, any of the citrus oils would be nice. usually lemon, lime, orange, peppermint or spearmint are pretty inexpensive as far as oils go, are easy to find at health food stores and generally safe. Lavender rose, or chamomile would also be safe if you are into the flowery thing. they all have their own unique therapeutic qualities as well. Please proceed with caution, these oils are generally regarded as safe, but all people react to different oils in different ways.

I use them to flavor iced teas and for cleaning too! Just remember they are very concentrated and are to be used with care! one drop on a cotton ball (NOT directly on the herb!!!) in with your stash could probably perfume an ounce or two. Not all oils are safe for this application so watch it. Get to know the ones you use and please feel free to ask me if you are unsure. that's what I do after all :brow:

oh, and don't use 'extracts' from the grocery store. all they are is little bottles of grain alcohol with a few drops of essential oils in most cases.
waste of $$$.
as for herbs themselves, you could probably get peppermint or maybe chamomile teabags and use that if you wanted to like i did with the spearmint leaf if you don't grow your own. or find a health food store that carries bulk herbs.

now you have me thinking that certain essential oils could be vaporized on a substrate for therapeutic usage. i.e., a trench of cannabis and maybe some mullein treated with cajeput & eucalyptus essential oils could be a valuable treatment for a deep seated respiratory infection. hmmmmmm......

beware of limonene, the toxic chemical in orange rinds. limonene is a naturally-occurring toxin in the essential oils of the rinds of all citrus fruits, as well as some other plants. this chemical gives citrus fruits their familiar aroma & helps protect them from insect predators. it is commercially used in many ways to improve our lifestyles; however, exposure to this toxin must be avoided in all cases.
except for the occasional whiff of citrus fruit aroma, it is best to avoid exposure to limonene, especially for those of us with asthma & environmental sensitivity. from vibrance mag winter 2008 page75-76 http://www.epaperflip.com/aglaia/viewer.aspx?docid=ac4155d5cf714d2fa0212bb1fa2edeb0

hemp;)goofy8cheerio,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
hemp, that was interesting, but i've used these oils safely for years. The general consensus in the aromatherapy community it that these oils are safe when used with discretion. The amounts we are talking about are minuscule.

I will be researching this further with some of my industry publications, I'm curious as to the specifics as relating to the oils.

herbgirl,

max

Out to lunch
limonene, the toxic chemical in orange rinds
Toxic if you're allergic, but orange peels are found in marmalade and used in pastes and dips in some countries.

max,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
limonene is also found in varying amounts in all kinds of things. Citrus essential oils are not pure limonene, it just makes up part of what they are. overall, unless you are allergic or sensitive, I would say they are safe when used properly. Proper use means not getting it on your skin undiluted and using it only in measurements of drops, .01 ml. When used on the skin, even in the correct amounts, citrus oils do cause photo sensitivity.
you drink an ounce of orange oil and you'll likely die. use a drop of it on a cotton ball to perfume a few ounces of bud would hardly be dangerous for most of us, but there are always exceptions.
I always encourage anyone venturing into aromatherapy to know their oils well and know that they are very powerful, concentrated substance to be treated with care.

In the little research i have done this morning, I'll stick by my saying that these oils are generally regarded as safe.

should i start a new thread for this?

herbgirl,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
back to the ABV watercure...
Day 2 - water change

this shows just how nasty the water from day 1 actually is. it looked to me very much like french press coffee with it's fine layer of sludge at the bottom. it's dark and smells just like the vaped weed. no surprise there. so it's into the compost bucket with that nasty water!

0902001346.jpg

and this is after about 15 min in day 2's distilled water. kinda looks like tea, lighter than yesterday, but still funky. herb looks no different.

0902001406.jpg

herbgirl,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Day 3 water change

0903001317.jpg

not as dark or smelly as yesterday's water change. looked like auto drip coffee vs the french press looking stuff from yesterday. smells faintly of bong water. some sediment, but less than yesterday. The herb smells less like abv and more like bong water today. i hope that goes away because it's just as nasty. of course i'm trying to get something from nothing here, so if this even works at all i'll be pleased.

Here it is maybe 10 minutes into the day 3 water. it's the color of apple cider.

0903001320.jpg

herbgirl,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
It's threads like this that make me think we could have a cooking/edibles forum. Thanks for sharing. :tup:

I can just imagine how nasty that water smells, if this works it'll be huge. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

vtac,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
vtac, totally. i would contribute regularly if there were such a forum.

I am looking forward to making all kinds of baked goods if this water cure works like i think it will. I'll be able to put it in anything just by subbing it out for flour i would think.

still debating whether i should just chuck it in, or simmer it in butter and not strain. my brownie recipe calls for butter, but it needs to be melted with the chocolate at the first stage so i could even throw it in then, once the chocolate is melted. after all all of the water soluble nasties have already been leached out so the butter (with it's water content) shouldn't even turn green. right?

or should i even bother mixing it with the wet ingredients and just put it in with the flour as a dry powder?

my grandmother's cold oven pound cake recipe would be even more divine with some herbage thrown in. droooollllllll
or blueberry muffins
or lemon bars
or biscuits......
oh my!

this is steps up from the old days when i threw some pot in with kraft mac & cheese on a camping trip with my husband-to-be 15 years ago. took quite a bit to get it down, it was so overwhelmingly weedy :) but i seem to remember it doing the job.

herbgirl,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Day 4 water change

0904001317.jpg

progressively less skanky and much lighter colored than yesterday. very little sediment and the bong water odor is knocked back a bit. the herb also seems more saturated - like it's as waterlogged as it could possibly get.

about 10 minutes in...
0904001327.jpg

herbgirl,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Day 5 water change

significantly lighter in color with only the finest layer of sediment. still smells faintly of bong water, but less so than yesterday. fine layer of scum on top of the herb, not sure what's up with that. also all of the material except about 1% has sunk. i think the floaters are pieces of seed or immature ones that i missed.

0905001612.jpg

and after 15 minutes or so

0905001622.jpg

i've decided to go for seven days unless the water change tomorrow is clean enough. we'll see.

herbgirl,

RussyRoo

Cool thread! Thanks a lot.
I think you're going to have to start an essential oils thread as well, I just brought back a ton from egypt and don't know what to do with them! :lol:

RussyRoo,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Day 6 water change
even lighter than yesterday. less of a bong water smell too. there is also a bit more scum on top. not sure what that scum means -i'm almost expecting fermentation because it's been warm and we've had the windows open, but there is absolutely no odor of ferment. reminds me a little of the scum you have to skim off when you make chicken stock. still the tiniest trace of sediment.

0906001422.jpg

I'll probably let it go till tomorrow and then strain and dry the material. it is definitely less smelly and the water is getting lighter with each change.

herbgirl,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Day 7 Water change

0907001508.jpg

still a tiny trace of sediment, very little bong water odor left. this water change was light enough that I'll be drying it tonight when i have time.

until i get to drying it i just put more water in -distilled and a wee bit of tap because i ran out. so i guess that will constitute a water change as well.

herbgirl,

wthanna

I can't help but think that a good deal of the "sediment" you are throwing out is valuable trichomes. part of the reason bubble hash.. bubble bags.. etc, work is because the trichomes will settle to the bottom. I think there are better ways to "clean" your herb, like the butter and water in a crockpot method, where the trichomes will be dissolved into the butter and the water soluble garbage gets discarded. The only true way to tell would be to try both methods side by side with the same batch of abv and compare the results. :2c:

wthanna,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
wthanna, i was thinking the same thing about the trichs. :/
this last sediment in particular looked kinda like the tan residue in the bottom of a bong. the first few rounds of sediment looked much like black/brown dusty stuff, probably because the herb was finely ground when i started, but this last change was different.

live and learn, but I feel like i'm trying to get something out of nothing here so not much of a loss but time and two bucks worth of distilled water.

I didn't think the crockpot/butter/water method would remove the burnt popcorn nastyness, so i figured I'd give this a try.

herbgirl,
Top Bottom