Walmart of Weed......Arizona

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
'In a May 2, 2011, letter, U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke of Arizona warned state officials that "growing, distributing and possessing marijuana, in any capacity, other than as a federally authorized research program, is a violation of federal law regardless of state laws that purport to permit such activities," according to Brewer.
Burke declared that his office would "vigorously prosecute individuals and organizations that participate in unlawful manufacturing, distribution and marketing activity involving marijuana, even if such activities are permitted under state law," according to Brewer's office.
"The State of Arizona has worked to follow the wishes of voters," Brewer said in a statement. "But I won't stand aside while state employees and average Arizonans acting in good faith are unwittingly put at risk.'

I really fail to understand the logic behind these kinds of statements.

The people of this state have exercised their most powerful right as citizens and have legally voted that they want medical marijuana to be available.
Someone should be arguing that regardless of federal law, the state has decided what's best for itself on a local basis. The governor even says that: "The State of Arizona has worked to follow the wishes of voters" - i.e. exactly what it is supposed to do, so what the f*ck is this guy doing? Protecting some people who are apparently at risk? Absolute bollocks, they're just after cheap headlines; why do governments always think the people are 'unwitting'? They voted for it for Pete's sake!

With issues of personal consumption like this, just as they did with both the Adoption and Repeal of Prohibition (albeit via slightly different legislative routes), it's so obvious that people should be able to decide on a state by state or local basis. Sure you'll get places like Kentucky holding on for years, but eventually everyone sees the light. Apart from Dennis Burke and Jan Brewer of Arizona apparently...

The legal challenges that were brought against both Adoption and Repeal of Prohibition after each was completed, by brewing giants for the former and the Christian dry groups for the latter, were correctly swept away by the judges that were presented with them, simply because the vote of the people should override any case. Let's hope they see the same sense with this one.

Again and again in History you find examples of the people being light-years ahead of the policy makers, especially with socio-cultural issues. Maybe I'm being a bit naive in hoping that we might have learnt something by now!

wilf789,

steiner666

Serial vapist
i dont think this is the first time some federal/judicial person has made such statements about going after the medical states. as far as i can remember, they haven't done much to put their evil little plans into action, at least not enough to sway any states backwards in mmj progress... am i right?

this is probably just another pompous and overambitious power-tripping fuck with either a stick up his ass or corporate money in his wallet, or both. hopefully the whole checks and balances thing comes into play here and he isnt able to make good on his threats.

steiner666,

rotax

Zaporist
steiner666 said:
as far as i can remember, they haven't done much to put their evil little plans into action, at least not enough to sway any states backwards in mmj progress... am i right?

Montana's MMJ law has been repealed, and "revamped"...and basically utterly broken and useless.
Providers can't "sell" to Patients... (thats like telling Pharma they can't charge for their pills...seriously, that would happen...)
Providers can now only have 4 flowering plants per Patient.
Providers can now only have 3 Patients, effectively a total of 12 plants.
Providers are now required to be finger printed ($), and have bg checks ($). (paid for by the Provider, no doubt)
Providers are req. to allow law enforcement access to their grow op at any time, w/o notice....
Patients now need evidence (xrays n the sort $$$) or two Dr. recommendations ($$$) in order to qualify.

So, why would a Provider spend the time/money/energy to build and power a grow op...for 12 plants and 3 Patients, for free?
And I know, thats exactly the idea behind it...
They thought they had an issue w/ illegal MMJ trade before...its going to enhance and reinforce this further IMO, so growers can break even at least? Or just move it all back underground, where it primarily exists anyway...great, really fixing a problem.
All because someone thought/feels/believes there are too many MMJ patients in the state.
Instead of going after the real criminals, murdering MMJ dispensary operators, they want to just brush it under the rug so that society doesn't have to see it, and it will happen to your kids instead. Genious. Marijuana doesn't cause crime, people do. Do we not understand this yet?

Any current Provider who doesn't sign up (or is unable to, due to bg check reasons) to be a "new" Provider is required to give their product (Cannabis) and growing equipment to the Authorities. Yep, give away, thousands of $ in equip and product...

Here comes the Black Market all over again, good game...and I spose thats ultimately what big gov wants anyway, so they can recreate a criminal population.

The kicker of all this is, there was no vote nor even a Governor's signature required to get this Bill (repeal) pushed through. It just showed up and happened.
Everyone touts that each citizens vote/voice makes a difference and brings change....right....as long as someone w/ more $ and power doesn't have anything against the People's voice, sure.

I understand that MMJ implementation has its flaws, honestly..but thats primarily due to its prohibition and demonization. And it will never be as it should until that issue is resolved.

Legalize my friends, for the good of our nation, for the good of our world.
Not even your MMJ patients can feel comfy, cozy, and untouchable any more with this kinda stuff going on.

Wow, apparently I needed to rant a bit.... </rant>

:)

rotax,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
Yup, same deal in Maine withe the Feds saying "it's still illegal, and well get you..."

The U.S. Attorney in Maine has sent a letter to state legislators saying Maines decade-old medical marijuana act contradicts federal law and that the U.S. Department of Justice is concerned about pending changes to the state law.
The Legislatures Health and Human Services Committee plans to meet at 3 p.m. today to discuss the letter from U.S. Attorney Thomas E. Delahanty. Maine Attorney General William Schneider also will attend the meeting.
Delahantys letter, dated May 16, came in response to a request from the lawmakers who debated changes in the state law earlier this month.
U.S. Attorneys in several other states, including Rhode Island, have issued letters in recent weeks warning state officials that medical marijuana use remains a federal crime and warning that state laws were going too far in sanctioning cultivation, sale and use of the drug.
Maine is one of a growing number of states to allow medical use of marijuana and one of a handful of states to create a distribution system to provide access to the drug.
According to Delahantys letter, while the department does not focus its limited resources on seriously ill individuals who use marijuana as part of a
Article source: http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Maines-US-Attorney-voices-medical-marijuana-concerns-.html

Purpl3_Haz3,

Purple-Days

And just yesterday, the authority in charge of permits for AZ dispensaries, denied the first application, on his own authority, because there were unanswered Federal legal questions.

Don't forget this is a political GAME. It's ALL about elections and control... The Feds (currently Democrat controlled, please don't claim they are independent) will not be making the same efforts in D states where they risk losing an election. You don't see these threats in Colorado or Cali or Oregon Washington state, do you? AZ, MT, MN, where they can't win anyway, they can make all the threats they want, and make it stick. It's a big (money/political) joke.

I am not a Democrat or a Republican, just observing.

Purple-Days,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
don't know that this helps at all, but we all know they have their reasons, we just can't get them to be straight with us, so perhaps educated guessing as to what their real concerns are will help us change their minds eventually...like getting better at presenting the facts and figures (ie: MMJ did not exacerbate addiction or loss of productivity) to them instead of making it look political (ie: "don't you see everybody wants it?")

[h]Three Reasons Why People Protect the Status Quo[/h]

Melba looks at the reasons why intelligent and well-meaning people resist change:

Code:
"When you view resistance to change in the context of guarding the Performance Engine and apply it to your workplace, your bosss resistance begins to look different and maybe even solveable. If someone is protecting her organizations profitable, and thus far effective, business model, while she may not articulate it in those terms, when she resists change, she is guarding her and your companys Performance Engine.
Heres why responsible and intelligent people protect the status quo, or the Performance Engine:

- Risk: Stakeholders such as shareholders or high-level university administrators want reliable results; change puts productivity and efficiency at risk

- Performance pressures: Middle managers are evaluated on rigid performance targets; they cant request new targets. If a change lowers their perceived performance, their units will be at risk

- Operational efficiency relies on repeatability and predictability. If a change agent tries to sell her idea that it breaks all the rules, people responsible for things running smoothly will do whatever they can to crush the new process or product."

(ps: i went undeclared after that last election, but i'll never vote for another republican ever again after Wisconsin and their national mis-information campaign)

VWFringe,

Purple-Days

I think the last election I voted in was Carter. I didn't mean to beat the drum for one side or another, I won't vote for either. They are two sides of the same coin in my mind. I was just pointing to the way the Justice department is used, and abused as scapegoat. If there is a law they should uphold it. If the people think a law is un-just or outdated it should be repealed by legal means (legislative or judicial). Until a law is repealed it should be applied equally to all. Instead you see a pattern like the one highlighted in my previous post. And I believe when a Republican is back in the President's post, the justice department will again be used and abused for political purpose (ala John Ashcroft). It's a game, and we are the losers. :2c:

ps. anytime you think somebody with a D- or an R- in front of their name is telling the truth, immediately cause yourself severe pain (method of your choice, but be sure to do it quickly, and be sure it hurts bad, so you associate political lies with real pain). Eventually you will start thinking right. Pavlov says so. :science:

Purple-Days,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Purple-Days said:
I think the last election I voted in was Carter. I didn't mean to beat the drum for one side or another, I won't vote for either. They are two sides of the same coin in my mind.

ps. anytime you think somebody with a D- or an R- in front of their name is telling the truth, immediately cause yourself severe pain (method of your choice, but be sure to do it quickly, and be sure it hurts bad, so you associate political lies with real pain). Eventually you will start thinking right. Pavlov says so. :science:

I used to think anyone with your attitude was an overly cynical nihilist who needed a kick in the arse, but then I had reason to pay close attention to government and the politicians and bureaucrats who run it. Now I think you're understating the the case. The tragedy is that most people get through life without ever discovering the truth of what you say.

I just want to add that my own research supports your conclusions at every level of government in every so-called democracy that I've investigated. It's not a Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative or any specific political party thing. It's the nature of a democracy. For insight into why this is so, I strongly advise reading this:

Bob Altemeyer's - The Authoritarians

This is a PDF, free for downloading. It isn't long and it's an easy read. Altemeyer shows why our so-called liberal democracies are not only a sham, they are a convenient vehicle for unscrupulous power-seekers to control the masses while providing them the illusion that they have some say in what happens.

To those who doubt, I have only one word: Obama.

pakalolo,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
it is important to know they design the news to instill fear and keep us from voting or wanting to get involved lest we lose our jobs or alienate others, look crazy etc.

by not voting you play right into their plan.

if you watch Al Jazeera English (middle east news of the world) or Democracy Now you'll start to get mad again and start to vote again, bet you five bucks\

and I agree with you about it being a choice between a douche and shit sandwich, but some come with tighter strings, and some are more willing to spend all their money on TV shows that are only designed to be your Republican father passing on his crazy ways of thinking to you. We have to fight this crap.

VWFringe,

Purple-Days

VWFringe says, "... they design the news to instill fear ..." , you don't define who they is.

..." you play right into their plan..." ... yep, that's me . . .

"if you watch (xyz...) " I don't. You musty think I (and other folks) am (are) a media sheep...

I think you assume I (and others like me) am stupid. Oh well... :rolleyes: Yup... :2c:

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom