Volcano Hybrid

macca924

I still can’t decide wether to purchase one after reading about the inferior materials now

macca924,

elmomuzz

That just happened...
A big part of the hybrid is the conduction aspect. Aluminum is much more conductive then stainless steel. It not only transfers heat faster from heater core to bowl but also from bowl to herb.

The choice to use aluminum was a engineering decision placing performance ahead of durability.

I figure they didn’t think the marring of the aluminum surface would be an issue. The plenty has had this feature for 5+ years and it was never brought up.

S&B isn’t saying anything until the fix is ready. And they can’t rush the fix. It has to be right.

WakeVape&Bake

I still can’t decide wether to purchase one after reading about the inferior materials now

Buying a Hybrid? i would wait if i were you, wait and see what they do about the issues.

if you can´t wait, buy it used, don´t reward them with a fullprice buy.

A big part of the hybrid is the conduction aspect. Aluminum is much more conductive then stainless steel. It not only transfers heat faster from heater core to bowl but also from bowl to herb.

The choice to use aluminum was a engineering decision placing performance ahead of durability.

I figure they didn’t think the marring of the aluminum surface would be an issue. The plenty has had this feature for 5+ years and it was never brought up.

S&B isn’t saying anything until the fix is ready. And they can’t rush the fix. It has to be right.

that S & B isn´t saying anything till the fix is ready is the whole problem, it is scummy to say nothing but still sell the device when knowing about the issues...it just doesn´t feel right.

i know it is also about business, money and reputation but for the people that have a Hybrid or people in the know about the whole affair it can´t be worser than now, the updated guidelines on x-mas were like a slap to the face. they really shat the bed with this release.

Last edited:

elmomuzz

That just happened...
I hear ya. I just think that's their stance.

One of my best friends has a hybrid that he got when they first came out. He really likes it. He also doesn't read internet forums so is blissfully unaware of any problems.

I have not told him because I don't want to take from his immense enjoyment. I'll let him know once there is something to tell.

WakeVape&Bake

I hear ya. I just think that's their stance.

One on my best friends has a hybrid that he got when they first came out. He really likes it. He also doesn't read internet forums so is blissfully unaware on any problems.

I have not told him because I don't want to take from his immense enjoyment. I'll let him know once there is something to tell.

i mean, you are right, i also think thats their stance and surely they have their lawyers that advise to shut the fuck up in such instances. from a business perspective it is bad to say something, on an imaginative "honest company" scale from buyers perspective it is invaluable though :-)

for your friend, i can understand to not tell anything but on the other hand when it is a real good friend maybe it is better to let him know about it.

Baron23

I just don't get for any reason why they would choose to use aluminum over stainless steel?

I will say it again....heat transfer properties. I don't believe that they would be able to get the conduction component, in the fast heat up times they were after, with SS.

Very different thermal transfer properties.

I'm not defending their use of AL, but if you ask "why", then I offer this as a reason.

Vapenayshyall

The vapes you mention are not built the same as day one. They are still made of plastic but all had improvements since the first version came out. I think S&B will do the same for the Hybrid sooner or later. Having read it had touch controls and the almost useless workflows was already enough for me to stay away. I feel it for you guys because if I didn’t had a Digit I could have been in the same situation.
I wouldn’t call workflow useless. It’s one of the reasons I got a hybrid and I loved it. It creates a very nuanced bag. You could try to recreate it manual but that would be very annoying and get old fast.

BigC’sTowing

I wouldn’t call workflow useless. It’s one of the reasons I got a hybrid and I loved it. It creates a very nuanced bag. You could try to recreate it manual but that would be very annoying and get old fast.
Agreed @vapen. IMO the flavor of the Plenty kills the Volcano. I only purchased the Hybrid for the workflow feature. Manually with the Digit, well, ugh.

WakeVape&Bake

Agreed @vapen. IMO the flavor of the Plenty kills the Volcano. I only purchased the Hybrid for the workflow feature. Manually with the Digit, well, ugh.

fair point but i would also say that many casual vapers don´t really care about the workflows...i think this feature is aimed at medical users in the first instance where it really has its place

or for the more advanced recreational users. many people buy S & B for the ease of use and they don´t want to fiddle around with such features

Pabs

fair point but i would also say that many casual vapers don´t really care about the workflows...i think this feature is aimed at medical users in the first instance where it really has its place

or for the more advanced recreational users. many people buy S & B for the ease of use and they don´t want to fiddle around with such features
Exactly:wave:! I am one of those:rolleyes:

WakeVape&Bake

Not medical and I don’t know if I’m advanced but I spent 800CAD for more features

Serious question why would you consider (if you do) a hybrid over a classic or digit if you aren’t looking for more features?

don´t want to talk the features down but they are more of an afterthought in my eyes...if someone wants to do a quick vaping sesh, do they really care about a workflow or iterations? maybe i am too oldschool but in essence it is more of an luxury feature to have.

i think for many people the fast heat up and whip function was a selling point

Vape_Or_Die420

Can someone who uses the workflows an enjoys them explain what they like about them and what workflows they use?

Vape_Or_Die420,

BigC’sTowing

Can someone who uses the workflows an enjoys them explain what they like about them and what workflows they use?
I’m a low temp, flavor chaser but I do like the effects.

I have several workflows I enjoy. Here is a 396 Medley that I use. I know 396 falls outside of the 5 degree temp increments, but is an ode to my plenty which I haven’t used as much. It’s as follows:

347/175
356/180
365/185
383/195
396/202

I run each temp for 7 seconds with the exception of the high temp which is run for 10 seconds.

Generally, I don’t like the Volcano vapor at one temp over 370 ish. This way really provides tasty vapor with the effects I’m lookin for.

Remember, you can move this entireschedule a deviation to the right, lengthen burn times at higher/lower temps etc.

Vape_Or_Die420

I’m a low temp, flavor chaser but I do like the effects.

I have several workflows I enjoy. Here is a 396 Medley that I use. I know 396 falls outside of the 5 degree temp increments, but is an ode to my plenty which I haven’t used as much. It’s as follows:

347/175
356/180
365/185
383/195
396/202

I run each temp for 7 seconds with the exception of the high temp which is run for 10 seconds.

Generally, I don’t like the Volcano vapor at one temp over 370 ish. This way really provides tasty vapor with the effects I’m lookin for.

Remember, you can move this entireschedule a deviation to the right, lengthen burn times at higher/lower temps etc.

you can basically squeeze everything into one bag or capsule...you can make the volcano go from x to y in heating in a programmed sequence which switches through the temperatures

Wow! Ok i got ya. That's pretty cool actually. Always did this manually. I'm into that feature so sure.

Vapenayshyall

don´t want to talk the features down but they are more of an afterthought in my eyes...if someone wants to do a quick vaping sesh, do they really care about a workflow or iterations? maybe i am too oldschool but in essence it is more of an luxury feature to have.

i think for many people the fast heat up and whip function was a selling point
That’s exactly what I want in a quick vape sesh! Press a button to start my super bag. Inhale and wake up feeling refreshed (minus the aluminum dust and melted plastic fumes of course ;) ).

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
I vaped know round about 30 hours with my Hybrid, no issues so far. When I wipe the ring on top I get just a bit of grey residue. Very very light. No melting plastic. I only rip this thing with the whip. I change between reducer and normal chamber. Sessions between 15 and 30 minutes. Always end at highest temperature. Vape on!

Nolan Kinshella

I vaped know round about 30 hours with my Hybrid, no issues so far. When I wipe the ring on top I get just a bit of grey residue. Very very light. No melting plastic. I only rip this thing with the whip. I change between reducer and normal chamber. Sessions between 15 and 30 minutes. Always end at highest temperature. Vape on!

Pretty much identical, but from the whip into a water pipe.

jardri

Vapor Dreams
I wonder if any of you could put the whip through some water with an empty chamber, max temp and the pump on for a while. Then let the water evaporate and check with a microscope for metal dust that got trapped in the water. This could bring a definitive answer to the alluminium dust concerns and we would see how much of an issue it is.

Crafty Vaper

Ain't easy being green
I wonder if any of you could put the whip through some water with an empty chamber, max temp and the pump on for a while. Then let the water evaporate and check with a microscope for metal dust that got trapped in the water. This could bring a definitive answer to the alluminium dust concerns and we would see how much of an issue it is.
Why don’t you cut a ballon and look with microscope!? Would be easier I think!

jardri

Vapor Dreams
Why don’t you cut a ballon and look with microscope!? Would be easier I think!

The balloon has a large surface area and the metal dust could stick anywhere. It would be impossible to quantify. Also you have a limited space for air inside a balloon. The best bet for detecting any contamination would be a narrow water filter to catch the particles, and a lot of air passing through that filter.

Poostuff

Please delete
I’d really appreciate a definitive answer from an expert on the internet (thumbs up emoji)

Poostuff,

david8613

I must have sent 3 emails to S&B because I just received 3 separate emails the other day from S&B, all it said basically was they are looking into the matter, and for me to follow a link showing the new procedures on cleaning and maintenance. very disappointed in S&B, I expected a better response from them, they had a lot of time on this to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom