Multi-brand Vivant Alternate

dtaxx

I'm cycling through LG HG2's and sometime Panasonic NCR18650B's both are working but didn't measure those for endurance, Alternate can drain cell on pretty low voltage on 0% indication it is something about 3,11 V when cut-off sometime even less

Thanks dtaxx, Look totally fine, IMO. Please take one more photo from side view but without Alternate, i just want to see how much need to be sanded out to fit, i operate on photos on this moment, because i don't have crafty's CU yet
QBkAabW.jpg

Here you go! The final picture you requested :)

Taz4101

Clipped both sides of the tabs down from my mighty cu. Wire cutters worked decent. I mostly lost the ledge the screen rest in. Got it fit and tested. Very tight and almost fully airtight. So tight in fact it's pulling the top of the alternate down some near battery door. Gonna try sanding more off that side maybe filling the tab height down. It might have fit easier if just the higher side of the tab was cut off.

But thanks dtaxx for the first attempt. It works good. Performs similar just nice and cool

dtaxx

The thing that I forgot to mention is that we can now finally touch the cooling unit without burning your !@#$ hands! :D As the Mighty/Crafty units only go up to 410F , I would stay away from anything higher than that.

mash

I thinking of buying a few here in Canada.... any 420 specials on the crafty CU? and is it very hard to do the mod? sorry... im a novice.... step by step instructions... Hahaha

Thank you all for this great forum

dtaxx

Clipped both sides of the tabs down from my mighty cu. Wire cutters worked decent. I mostly lost the ledge the screen rest in. Got it fit and tested. Very tight and almost fully airtight. So tight in fact it's pulling the top of the alternate down some near battery door. Gonna try sanding more off that side maybe filling the tab height down. It might have fit easier if just the higher side of the tab was cut off.

But thanks dtaxx for the first attempt. It works good. Performs similar just nice and cool
IMG_0722.JPG

As you can see I also accidentally sanded away the screen ledge:doh:. A domed Arizer Solo/Air stem screen fits perfectly in the deeper part of the unit, can definitely recommend!

Last edited:
Hi All,

Is anyone having MP/CU melting issues and using the Alternate for no more than the default 1 minute sessions, at temps under 400 F? I'm planning to use the Alternate for < 1 min sessions at temps of 350 - 375. Based on my understanding that you can take a couple draws after the heater is turned off, I will likely turn off the heater immediately after taking my first draw. This should allow me to get about 3 vapor hits, for a very short session.

My hope is that such usage will prevent the MP from melting until the long-term replacement is sent by Vivant. I realize this is not the ideal usage scenario for many on here. And I would also like to be able to use it at higher temps, for longer sessions. But until a reliable, long-term replacement is provided by Vivant, I don't want to risk my health.

And because I've seen the question asked numerous times, I must provide a response. No, it's absolutely NOT safe to use a MP that is melting, especially for those that have complained of headaches after usage. We've all got to use common sense and understand a replacement MP will be provided for all melting MPs, free of charge. We just need to be patient and understanding. As we've all heard, there have been many reputable members on FC that do not have melting MPs after many high temp uses. We've also heard that the Crafty MP doesn't get extremely hot when used with the Alternate. These 2 points lead me to believe, the problem is specific to a bad batch of MPs. And Vivant is in the process of correcting the issue.

Does anyone think the Vivant MP will or won't melt during < 1 min sessions at 350-375 F?

DownWithTheDam,

Baked-not-fried

riding the Cannabreak train...

Does anyone think the Vivant MP will or won't melt during < 1 min sessions at 350-375 F?

To play it safe, keep it under 375 for sure. I never took mine over 380 and wound up with two melted tops. The first started the melting process after about 3 sessions(<1). The second I got as a replacement and tried again, up to 380(<3 min.) for 3-5 sessions, with melting. Just my experience thus far.

Last edited:
Baked-not-fried,

Maryanna

Hello, I got my Vivant Alternate a month ago from China and it's an awesome unit.
I own a xmax v2 pro which is a nice product... Vivant is way better than my former vaporizer in terms of temperature control, vapor quality and it's convection/conduction hybrid.
I thought it was a great change for me and I enjoy using it. But today I noticed a big crack on the mouthpiece, as many other users reported. Definitely caused by heat. I fear it's going to break entirely soon.
I used my Alternate only 15-20 times, so it's a big issue that needs to be solved.

Another piece of advice I could give to Vivant would be to make stainless steel capsules for dry herb just like the ones for the Flowermates (which also fit in my xmax)... they're so handy: they make cleaning so easier and when you go out you can fill 2-3 capsules without caring about filling and cleaning your vaporizer.

Last edited:
To play it safe, keep it under 375 for sure. I never took mine over 380 and wound up with two melted tops. The first started the melting process after about 3 sessions(<1). The second I got as a replacement and tried again, up to 380(<3 min.) for 3-5 sessions, with melting. Just my experience thus far.

Wow, thanks for the info. It sounds like anyone receiving a new Alternate will be wise to not use it until a replacement top is sent. If it's melting after only 3 sessions, < 1 minute at <= 380 F, it's a very dangerous MP to play with. I doubt it will kill anyone but it's not worth the risk. I've got another vape to use in the interim.

This is very unfortunate but it sounds like there's a simple solution. Vivant just needs to manufacture a MP like Crafty's. I think they can even raise the price by $5-10 if they need to cover the cost. With a Crafty MP, multiple members are reporting the Alternate is an amazing vape. I'm looking forward to Vivant rectifying this situation in the near future.

vapelordnord

Vivant just needs to manufacture a MP like Crafty's. I think they can even raise the price by $5-10 if they need to cover the cost. With a Crafty MP, multiple members are reporting the Alternate is an amazing vape. I'm looking forward to Vivant rectifying this situation in the near future.

The problem is, that the Crafty's CU is patented :(

vapelordnord,
The problem is, that the Crafty's CU is patented :(

Agreed. But the MP materials aren't. I don't mean an exact copy. Maybe Crafty's CU is the only reason Crafty's MP isn't getting very hot to touch? But even if Crafty's plastic gets really hot without Crafty's CU, at least it won't melt as it's rated to withstand much higher temps.

I can deal with a MP that gets uncomfortably hot to touch. Just don't give me cheap plastic that melts under normal usage.

Last edited:

Meach

Used my new Alternate for the first time last night and was really surprised at how hot the CU area gets above the battery. It's easily multiple times hotter than any of my Boundless vapes get up there. Its hot enough I could only touch the front of the CU after 3 minutes at 365F for a few seconds

Reading this makes me think that maybe the alternate doesn't have proper ventilation for the battery those high drain batteries need to discharge while in use..maybe that's the problem..since someone mentioned removing the green flap has prevented melting for them... could be that this opens up an airway for the battery to properly ventilate...

Last edited:

rekrab

Green flap wont do shit. The mouthpiece is garbage and all of them will melt. Ive had this thing barley 2 weeks and used daily until this. Im worried for health reasons. This is not cool @Vivant ......

rekrab,

Pistil_Pete

So @Vivant, any updates on the new MP? Unfortunately, I am unable to continue using the device due to melting issues with the replacement MP. After using it 428F one time, the material is deforming and degrading slowly at 400F.

Pistil_Pete,

PsySijk

IMG_0722.JPG

As you can see I also accidentally sanded away the screen ledge:doh:. A domed Arizer Solo/Air stem screen fits perfectly in the deeper part of the unit, can definitely recommend!

Are the "tabs" the two interlocking plastic ridges on either side of the underside of the cooling unit?

PsySijk,

xlr8shun

...pics removed...
Crafty cooling unit mod! I clipped the fins to match the original cooling unit and sanded down the height of the ring, that's it! Rips like crazy!

dude.. thanks so much for this..

i ordered me one as soon as i saw this and awaiting delivery now. i even have a glass mouthpiece i ordered a while back for a FW4 mod that never got going.

finally, maybe, i can get the alternate back as my daily driver. i couldnt justify using it anymore if the plastic was deforming..

thanks again for taking the leap and testing for us!

A bit off-topic from the crafty mod but I noticed the battery included is a vtc4 which is specified to run up to 30A, has anyone with more than a few 18650s done a little experimentation to see if the 20A 18650s (lg hg2s or he4s) run ok? And what battery seems to work the best?

i noticed that my LG HG2's seemed to give me just a bit longer battery life than the vct4's. like 4 sessions out of the LG and 3 from the sony's. likely the bump in mah rating.

Last edited:
xlr8shun,
Reactions: DarkSm0ke

Chocu1a

I really find it odd that people are trying to find a way to continue using a device that clearly has thermal issues, instead of just using the many out there that don't have melting problems. Not only does the top cap melt/deform, but the main body can/will crack. Unless this is the only vape you own, I just can't see that it is worth the hassle. Buying another companies top cap just so you can use a vape that melts the original cap? Madness I tell you!

Top Bottom