Vaporizing hops in the volcano

WOW, that's tasty!

Used some left over whole chinook hops from a recent homebrew, broke it up and put it in the volcano. Read up on how hops like really low temps so I set it at about 2 to 2 and a half.

I really suggest you all try some low-temp hop vaping because it is like inhaling the most delicious India pale ale on earth. Many people report mild euphoria, relaxation, etc., but I was mostly impressed by the sheer taste of it.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
How long does the taste last? I remember the first time I hit a vaporizer. I was absolutely blown away by the taste. Unfortunately it only lasts a couple of hits or three, and I'm guessing that hops is the same.

Not that your answer will in any way influence my purchase tomorrow of whatever fine hops I can get my hands on. What a fantastic idea!

pakalolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Well, I tried it. Two different kinds of hops, which the nice man explained to me were somesuch and otherstuff, in one ear out the other. I'd asked for the kind of hops you'd use to make a dark ale.

I have to say it's not for me. I had a suspicion I wouldn't like it when I first smelled the hops. Gave both types a hit each in my LB anyway, and nooo, I do not like vaping hops. Left an aftertaste in my LB for the next trench, too. :(

pakalolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
hemp;)goofy8cheerio said:
hops may need low temp about 320 or so mflb may not b steady @ so low a temp

Yes, I caught that they need low temperature. 320 is about 160, which just happens to be where I like to start vaping. I'm confident it's not a temperature issue because I didn't find the smell appealing. The vapor is just more intense and not to my liking. Different strokes and all.

I was hoping for a nice flavor reminiscent of the dark ales I like. Oh well.

pakalolo,

toxicc

E11001420
What i have been wanting to try for a long time is to do bubblehash from fresh japanese hops. There is also some extracts already available on the market, an "honey oil" like substance made from hops extracted with co2, and lupulin, wich is kind of sieved kif. Hops is in the same family as cannabis and has trichomes. I know it is not cannabinoids, but it is still an "active substance" that have effects such as helping to sleep. A concentrated extract made from good quality hops might have some good synergy with an indica or something.

toxicc,
toxicc said:
What i have been wanting to try for a long time is to do bubblehash from fresh japanese hops. There is also some extracts already available on the market, an "honey oil" like substance made from hops extracted with co2, and lupulin, wich is kind of sieved kif. Hops is in the same family as cannabis and has trichomes. I know it is not cannabinoids, but it is still an "active substance" that have effects such as helping to sleep. A concentrated extract made from good quality hops might have some good synergy with an indica or something.

Wow, that's interesting as all hell! Supposedly the plants even barely survive a graft on to each other, although will not produce either thc or desirable hop resins after the graft.

Any links on the topics mentioned would be awesome!

Pakalalo, I've had my mflb for about 12 hours, and it seems too hot for hops by a wide margin. Hops in the volcano went from 1st hit: damn tasty to 2nd hit: pretty tasty to 3rd hit: blah! It really is a low temperature plant, like around 270-300 is what you're after or even lower. Of course my mflb is giving me black and green trenches, so it might not be the best measure.

charliedontsurf,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hi charliedontsurf, yes I know about your green-black trenches, I just commented on that in the LB thread.

Once you get your technique down, you can get the LB to run as hot or cool as you need. I think the LB would be fine for hops, but hops aren't for me, that's all. If I thought it were temperature related I'd drop some in the Extreme, but I didn't feel the need because as I said, the smell of the hops is unappealing to me and the taste just intensifies that smell.

pakalolo,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
pakalolo said:
Left an aftertaste in my LB for the next trench, too. :(
How long did the aftertaste last? Just one trench? I have some eucalyptus I haven't used for fear it would leave a permanent taste in my LB...

AgentofChaos,

herbgirl

cannabis aromatherapist
Agent, if anything would leave an aftertaste, it would be eucalyptus, that is some powerful stuff. But seeing as the volatile oils are so light, it would probably go away quickly.
It would probably make your lungs feel just dandy, especially if you are a little congested.

herbgirl,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
AgentofChaos said:
How long did the aftertaste last?

I was still getting a faint aftertaste on the second trench, but I didn't do anything to try to get rid of it either. I suspect if I had done a 30 second heat cycle with cover open and nothing in the trench that would have cleared it out. That's pretty much the same as the nasty taste that it gave off after I accidentally got too much ISO on the screen and some seeped through. Neither of these had any permanent effect. It's back to hitting with a beautiful clean taste.

Having said that, you're on your own with eucalyptus.

Edited because the damned Quick Quote got me again. Third time. It attributes the quote to the latest poster and not the person quoted. BUG!

pakalolo,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
herbgirl said:
Agent, if anything would leave an aftertaste, it would be eucalyptus, that is some powerful stuff. But seeing as the volatile oils are so light, it would probably go away quickly. It would probably make your lungs feel just dandy, especially if you are a little congested.
Excellent, thanks Herbgirl! Thankfully not congested, it's just my favorite aromatherapy scent and I was given a free ounce, been anxious to try it.

pakalolo said:
I was still getting a faint aftertaste on the second trench, but I didn't do anything to try to get rid of it either. I suspect if I had done a 30 second heat cycle with cover open and nothing in the trench that would have cleared it out.
Great idea, I'll do that if need be, thanks.

AgentofChaos,

Ohmie

Govrnmnt fund adult circumcision & frenuloplasty!
Modnote: Thread merged to help facilitate discussion.

Vaping dried hops vs non dried/whole cone hops

I'm vaping dried hops right now but not certain if I'm missing out by not trying the non dried/whole cone hops. I use the Extreme Q at 260 degrees and the dried hops give me descent clouds and a slight buzz so they're good for mixing but I never tried non dried and don't want to lose cloud production.

Last edited by a moderator:

organicali

I have actually contemplated trying this recently. I wonder if the terpenes from the hops would put a new spin on the high?

organicali,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
I have actually contemplated trying this recently. I wonder if the terpenes from the hops would put a new spin on the high?
It is actually not the Lupuline that gets you high,it is chemically related to THC :).Everyone has noticed the ""symbiosis"" between beer and weed,it is more than just the booze that adds to the experience.

This shit is basicly hops kief.
https://azarius.net/smartshop/herbs/herbs-relax/lupulin/

Lupulin is the glandular powder separated from the strobiles of the Humulus lupulus (hops) plant. It has sedative effects on the body and mind and stimulates sleep. This powder is separated by beating or rubbing the strobiles of hops, and then sifting them. The sifting is necessary to remove the broken bracts and other vegetable parts. About 10 per cent of lupulin is thus obtained from the dried hops.
The powder is bright brownish-yellow and become resinous. Lupulin is chemically related to THC.

Lupulin has the odour and common taste of hop.

Lupulin effects
Lupulin has the same sedative effects as hop, but due to the sifting it is stronger.
Gives an mild high with relaxing qualities. Works well as a relaxation for the nerves and provides a better sleep.

The powder is used in a medical manner for delirium tremens, wakefulness, anxiety and exhaustion. It allays irritation and promotes sleep.

It is a sedative belonging to the same category as valerian, skullcap and passion flower.

Top Bottom