Vaporizer History

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
I thought of a cool project for this community a while back but I kept putting off on posting it....

Well, here it is -- since this is arguably the #1 resource for vaporizers on the web, I think it's only fair that we have some sort of 'evolution' or timeline of vaporizers.

For example, what was the first one? The latest (i-Inhale?)? I mean, we don't need it to be totally precise, but instead, ballpark dates to give one the feel on how vaporizers have, literally, evolved.

Vaporizers are undoubtedly the future of marijuana and I only see their popularity rising. This could be really cool. If we need to, we can drop a quick email to the manufacturer and ask when their vaporizer was created. Should be easy enough. :)

Let's start from the beginning and start brainstorming to make a timeline, after we get everything compiled, either I or someone who might have better graphic editing skills could make a graphic representation we can then add to. The evolution of vaporizers right before your eyes. :cool:

Now, for the beginning....

If my memory serves me right, the BC Vaporizer was the first commercial available vaporizer? Yes? I'd assume a variety of similiar 'globe/dome hotplate' vaporizers started popping up after that.

The Vaporbrothers was made in 1999 but the company was established in 2001.

I figured out Aromazap was made in 2001 from Tom's PD thread.

The German Patent for the Volcano was created in 1999. We may want to double check this date...

The iInhale is new this year.

The VripTech HeatWand may be released the last few days of this year, or perhaps early 09.

The rest;

Bags;

Volcano ( 1999 )
Extreme
Vapir
HerbalAire

Wand;

VaporBrothers ( 1999)
VaporWarez
Silver Surver Vaporizer
Da Buddha Vaporizer ( 2008 )
V-Tower
Evolution
VaporFection
HotBox

Portable/Other;

Aromazap ( 2001 )

BC Vaporizer
Inavape
VaporGenie
Vapman
iInhale ( 2008 )
Purple-Days ( 2008 )
AroMed
Herborizer
VRIPtech Heat Wand ( 2009 )
Vapolution

Let the search begin, I'll edit in the times as we add them....

SpiralArchitect,
Reactions: calimac

Purple-Days

The Eterra patent goes back to 1979...

Our unit was developed over the 2004-2007 period and finally developed as a commercial concept in Jan of '08.

The originator of the Eterra has an interesting story and I would encourage it's reading. A genius, I would say. As stated before, we keep a shrine in the corner. . . :peace:

Purple-Days,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Cool, I've been thinking about this too.

Here's a complete list of vaporizers I've been trying to maintain. Guess we'll have to do some googling on each model to get the timeline. Seems like a school project, I better get procrastinating. Leave it up to the smart kids. :D

Couple notes:

Yeah, I thought the BC vape was older too. They (Plasticsmith) claim to have coined the term "vaporizer" used in this context. :rolleyes:

Vriptech's been at it since '99

Herodotus first described vaporizing cannabinoids in the 5th century BC:

The Scythians then take the seeds of this hemp and, creeping under the mats, they throw them on the red hot stones; and, being so thrown, they smolder and send forth so much steam that no Greek vapor bath could surpass it. The Scythians howl in their joy at their vapor-bath. This serves them instead of bathing, for they never wash their bodies with water.

vtac,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Too wasted to post, but wanted to comment.

Vaporizing goes back to ancient rituals in which tribesmen would sit in a tent with a cauldrin of aromatic and intoxicating herbs.

Also others would spread concoctions across hot rocks, heat them in hookahs with coals, etc.

Believe it or not others would even actually burn the substances and inhale the smoke (Yuck!)

Pazout!

Progress,

Ven

Praying Mantis
True progress, but we're trying to focus on the comercially available vaporizers, imo 1999+ is when vaporizing really came into mainstream users lives.

PS: Extreme's lil brother = V-Tower, although i do not know when it was released

Ven,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
List updated.

I emailed Herborizer and 7th Floor about when their products first became commercial available.

Anyone else wanna chip in? Only takes a few seconds? :p

SpiralArchitect,

youdontknowme

I can't seem to find it right now, but isn't there a vaporizer wiki somewhere? If not, or if the existing one is run by dubious characters with questionable intent, we could consider setting up a mediawiki install and start putting vapor knowledge in that format, it's way easier for beginners to catch up reading a well maintained wiki than ages of forum back-posts. who here actually maintains the fluxbb install?

youdontknowme,

youdontknowme

vtac you hold down vaporpedia? sweet.... need to get your pagerank up though lol.... you should link to it from your sig here, and any other mj related sites you have accts on. I see SA is also a proud member but theres no point to the acct if you dont help that wiki grow, man. count me in as down to help you with this as i have time in the coming year (should be plenty, i love writing about mj when im vaked lol).

are you into LAMP development or just hosting? i used to do lots of webware work but got tired of it, now if i do any its strictly server-side.

youdontknowme,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
it's really funny cause during the last week I felt on my first vapozier (I was cleanning my room) ....so anyway I bought this vap about 7 years ago probably more .....I nice piece of shit looking like a bubble gum machin hahah I really need to post a pix of it here btw nice thread

:/ by seeing this it remind my how sour this shit taste

Clear_Dome,
Top Bottom