Vaporizer for Grandma

ShadowLink12

Activist
So, I love the vaporizers I own (see my sig), but my Grandma (who has never vaporized, and only smoked a couple times) has recently been having some health issues (aches, and headaches/migraines leading to nausea) and is interested in exploring the medicinal uses of marijuana. She wants to drop some cash on a vaporizer, but I really don't know what would be most user friendly for someone that wants something easy, and isn't interested in devoting themselves to the craft of vaporizing like us on this forum.

I love my Extreme Q, but I think most would agree that it is way to complicated for someone who isn't going to be using on a regular basis and willing to take the time to harness it's potential. The PD is too hard to get a hold of, and she wouldn't want to have to keep it plugged in all the time. I am thinking the MFLB would be a great choice, but she will NEVER be using it on the go, and I feel like worrying about the batteries and such would seem difficult compared to just plugging a vape in.

This all led me to thinking the SSV, but I have never used one (although I have always secretly wanted one but couldn't justify a purchase). What do you guys think, the SSV, the MFLB, or something else? Also, if the SSV, hands free or standard? Thanks.

ShadowLink12,

Beezleb

I would consider the DBV, SSV, Vapor Bros and similar quality for those types.

The MLB might be an issue due to the batteries depending on her usage. If she ramps up use it would then become an issue and not apparent early on. I am unsure if the new battery design or thing would affect her use or not or if it even applies as im not sure if its a change or an option.

From a simplistic perspective the above vapes are pretty simple but if you want her to be able to dial in better to temperature affected aspects of herb I recommend the Volcano (high price but does what it says it does) and the Zephyr Ion for bags (check on the bags and make sure the bags are ready to use and its digital accuracy and its ease of use. I believe it far more simplistic compared to many other bag vapes. The herbalaire is also a good consideration.

All bag vapes may be somewhat an issue when the time comes to change a bag depending on her issues and if this is an issue I highly recommend the wand vapes. With arthritis and the like I have had people tell me they like the warm wand between their knuckles after vaping, keep in mind the temperature of the wand will vary from user to user so if she does that make sure she checks it first to make sure its not too hot for her.

Beezleb,

george

I would also suggest a whip-vape. DBV or SSV.

I'm also thinking the Lotus vaporizer would be a good choice. Easy to use(light the top and suck in), easy to load, not a lot of parts.

george,

toxicc

E11001420
I think she can do some mistakes with the Buddha or SSV like blowing the herb on the heater or accidentally touching the hot glass, and she might have difficulty to set it to the right temperature. The Extreme-Q would be great for easy setting of the temperature, but is less "user friendly" and you can burn yourself on it too. The Volcano would probably be easy to operate, i never used it but i don't think you can burn yourself on it, but it costs a lot of money. The main points IMO would be easy to operate, easy to set temperature, and something you can't burn yourself on. I think that a bag vape would be the easiest to use for someone that don't have much experience in both smoking and vaping, as long as it respects the few aspects from the previous phrase.

toxicc,

CombustionJunction

What's Your Function?
I recommend a Medical Grade Vaporizer such as the Zephyr Ion. I've never encountered a better vape for extracting the medical properties of cannabis.

CombustionJunction,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Beezleb said:
The MLB might be an issue due to the batteries depending on her usage. If she ramps up use it would then become an issue and not apparent early on. I am unsure if the new battery design or thing would affect her use or not or if it even applies as im not sure if its a change or an option.

I think you're referring to the new push-back ring that prevents accidental battery contact. I've had the chance to use one like that, and the force required to keep the battery in contact is an issue for anyone with arthritic hands, or strength loss for any reason. It requires a firm push and it has to be held in contact. The good news is that you can remove it with a pair of tweezers, so it's not a deal-breaker.

I was about to post "Go Grandma!" until I realized that I could well be older than she is. I hope that vaporizing does help her, and I commend her for being willing to try. We grandfolk can be pretty set in our ways.

toxicc said:
The Volcano would probably be easy to operate, i never used it but i don't think you can burn yourself on it, but it costs a lot of money. The main points IMO would be easy to operate, easy to set temperature, and something you can't burn yourself on. I think that a bag vape would be the easiest to use for someone that don't have much experience in both smoking and vaping, as long as it respects the few aspects from the previous phrase.

I'd consider a Zephyr Ion before a Volcano if I wanted bags. I think a whip is better than bags for this sort of thing, however. The medical users can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think bags are for stoners. You blow up a bag and you have a limited time to use it. Great for getting high or for sharing at parties, but a lousy way to deliver medication. I'd want my medication to be available on demand, when I need it. The MFLB is perfect for this, although as ShadowLink12 pointed out it might not be suitable because of the battery management issues.

The Lotus looks simple, easy to use, can supply medication on demand, and good reviews are starting to roll in. It requires a torch, though.

pakalolo,

stinkmeaner

First thing comes to mind when I hear Grandma is 'Simple', I would think the vaporizer with fewest parts, least learning curve, and uncomplicated controls would be the best for an elderly person. Keep in mind if she is intimidated she might not use it and that makes me think a pipe like design might be the easiest to grasp since everyone knows what a pipe is and does therefore she might feel more natural with it.

One thing that would help the board is a little information about her would be great like her Age, her lifestyle (On the Go or Home-bound), is she somewhat tech savvy or does she have a hard time using a cell phone or computer.

stinkmeaner,

Vayu

Connor O'berst
I think the PD is the best choice for grandma. Simple, concealable, pretty, and known for efficiency.

Vayu,

Beezleb

The PD and similar vapes would likely feel real nice in her hands with the heat but my concern is can she inhale it effectively as it is markedly more difficult to inhale from those vapes compared to others listed. I have seen this an issue. If she has good lungs, likely this is a non issue. I also second Stinkmeanors statements.

Lucky grandma!

pakalolo, thanks for the info on the magic flight battery thing. That was my meaning.

Beezleb,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
stinkmeaner said:
First thing comes to mind when I hear Grandma is 'Simple'...

Me and Iwien and Pappy are gonna get you for that. You're dead at recess.

pakalolo,

ShadowLink12

Activist
Thanks for all the great suggestions. For a little more info for you guys, my grandma is still very on the go, leads a pretty active lifestyle, and does regularly use a computer (as competently as any grandma). I am mainly concerned about it being simple, not so much that she would experience physical limitations.

With the MFLB, I hate the push back ring, I ordered one, and I felt like I could hardly keep the battery connected. So if I went that way for her, I would remove that, but I am mainly concerned about battery management for her (aka making it not simple)

I would appreciate keeping the comments coming on the SSV, as to me it seems really simple, but you guys have raised some legit concerns. I will also brush up on the Lotus thread, I checked it out before reviews rolled in, and was quite interested.

ShadowLink12,

Beezleb

I would ask in the SSV thread as I am sure you can get more focused answers on that subject. Generally I see people go with the more cost effective model the DBV as the SSV is more flash compared to the DBV.

Both outstanding vapes. SSV will potentially require more stirring depending on the heater cover type selected.

Beezleb,
Top Bottom