VaporGenie

Rin101

Ah, I see..it's explaining WHY a slightly smaller flame can be used. Thanks ^.^

Rin101,

sockamodo

has anybody tried the new vapor genie coil bat? im thinking of getting one maybe i could really go for the insulation advantage it has it looks like it can save me a lot of lighters but im scared that it will bend to much n my bowl will leak through the coils n spill in my pocket. n i dont realy wanna break it

sockamodo,

GetVaked101

I think you guys are over thinking how bendy it is. I doubt they would make this floppy as can be, Im sure its not easy to spill your bowl unless you are seriously doing some bending.

GetVaked101,

ThCombustion

Hi all, just got the vapor genie. I can't get the technique down. Any tips? I know to search. I have. I usually only get one or two finds that way. Just looking for some quick tips on how to get good results.

ThCombustion,

salamanderfish

Just ordered the VG in hopes it will arrive in time for 420. I've never hit one ThCombustion: so I don't know how but soon I'll probably be askin the same question.

salamanderfish,

Rin101

The original post in this thread contains a helpful link:
http://www.vaporbuff.com/vaporgenie/#using-the-vaporgenie

Using the VaporGenie

Grind up your legal herb or tobacco and load the bowl, leaving some room to screw on the top piece. From there its similar to using a normal pipe; apply a flame just above or just below the lip of the intake hole, above the ceramic flame filter, and draw air through the mouthpiece. Sounds easy, but it takes a little practice to get the temperature right.
Temperature is controlled by adjusting the flame and suction. The slower you inhale, the hotter the air gets. This might sound counter intuitive, but the slower the air is moving the more time it has to heat up.
What works for me is to keep the flame in the middle of the intake hole, around 2mm below the lip, while inhaling at a medium-slow rate for about 10 seconds.
Dont Burn That Herb!

With proper technique the VaporGenie will indeed grant you some herbal or tobacco vapor. Let it get too hot and youll end up with scorched herb, and, smoke.
My smoking friends tended to want to cook it too long at first, since theyre used to feeling smoke in their lungs. It will probably take some basic coaching to ensure your friends dont scorch the herb, this is important because combustion will make your VaporGenie taste like nasty burnt popcorn.
After a couple tries, my buddy was hitting it like a champ, better than me, with big vapor clouds and no burnage. Everyone will have their own technique with this thing.
Another thing you want to avoid is actually touching the flame to the ceramic flame filter itself. Doing so will leave soot deposits which clog the tiny holes in the filter. There are cleaning instructions on the VaporGenie website should this occur.
As with all vaporizers, stirring the herb between hits aids even cooking and allows visual inspection to determine doneness. Reload and repeat as desired.
Update: Heres a little trick Ive been using: Put an ice cube (or two) in your mouth so the air stream from the pipe passes over it. It cools the vapor down and also helps catch any small particles. You can even hold a little water in your mouth for some pseudo bong action.

Rin101,

spex

[removed]

Modnote: No selling or soliciting on the forum. Please review the forum rules.

spex,

momatik

Classic VG owners,

I found a bowl you can pickup from Home Depot that will connect your flame filter AND connect to a 14 mm glass downstem.

Go to the plumbing section and pick up a:

TUBE TO FIP
COUPLE W/INSERT
3/8"X3/8"

It'll look like this:

That nut on the right will screw off and you'll have something like this:

6_am_06120.jpg

The inside will have a little lip to put a wire coil for the bowl, just like the bowl on your VG.

I attached a 14mm downstem to the top of my hookah and am getting great results.

Oh and it's like 3 bucks.

I trolled these forums for a while when i was researching the VG aluminum bat, and now it's time to return the favour. Been using my bat for months now and i love it, but i was keen to try out a stainless-steel alternative after getting a few dings on my bat. As soon as the Coil VG was released i ordered one, and i finally got it yesterday! I noticed there was no review for it yet, so here you go...

Short version: Love it. Works very similar to my beloved aluminum bat, if not a tad better. Has some definite advantages, and a few odd quirks, but overall it's a sweet piece for $40.

ADVANTAGES:

*Small and light - a tad heavier than aluminum bat, but feels about the same.
*Fully cleanable - comes apart, though i haven't braved up and fully disassembled it yet.
*Stealthy - no one i've shown it to can even guess what the heck it is. Doorstop? Sparkplug?
*Efficient - so far i've noticed a more uniform vaporizing than what i get from the aluminum bat.
*Nice clean vapour. Day 2 of using it, and already i'm getting more consistent hits of clean vapor.
*Even vaporizing. The contents of my bowl seem more uniformly vaporized than with my alum bat.
*No burning of the lips, even after hitting it many times.

DISADVANTAGES/PARTICULAR NOTES OF INTEREST:

*Bendy. I know some of you are wondering about this. It is more flexible than i expected, especially the top half (intake half), but in general it's not a problem. If you grip the pipe by the inhaling end and shake it vigorously, it flexes. However i can put it in my pocket with a full load and go walking/biking without spillage. Also, i find the flexibility helps to quickly clean out debris by gently flexing it and blowing air through it.

*Heat situation: It says on the VG site that the "outer surface does not become hot" but i beg to differ. If you're only doing 4-6 average size hits this may be true, but it does eventually heat up. It would take a LOT of use/overuse to get the mouthpiece hot enough to be a problem, but the intake end can get pretty hot, which is a consideration for palming it or putting it in your pocket. Again, i don't find this to be an issue, but worth mentioning for inquiring minds.

*Flame size: the VG site mentions possibly using a slightly smaller flame, though i find a 1 inch flame is still about optimal. My cheap refillable Ronson lighters work just nicely.

*Bowl size: same depth as the aluminum bat, but a bit wider. The depth is also adjustable by unscrewing the inner part of the intake half, so you could potentially pack a hefty sized bowl. I'd say it's capable of holding roughly 1.5 times as much as the aluminum bat. Still works nicely with a small amount too.

Final diagnosis:

Totally worth my $40. The only thing preventing this pipe from being *perfect* is the flexibility. It doesn't effect the performance, but it doesn't feel absolutely indestructible (as a solid, stainless pipe would). The fact that you can get replacement parts from VG is reassuring though. If the Stainless Bat ever comes out, i would consider getting that one too, but i am super pleased with the Coil VG.

I'm curious to hear what other people have to say about this pipe. Vapor Genie rules. Peace out folks.

westcoastr,

Rin101

That sounds pretty nice; thanks for the review, westcoastr.

I have two questions though: how hard is it to position the flame compared to the aluminum bat? Have you tried using it outdoors at all?

Rin101,

MG23

Relaxin'
As someone who has only used the original wood vapor genie I'll ask someone with more experience on the subject.

Westcoastr (or anyone else that owns both pieces) if you were to only have one VG between the coil and the aluminum bat which would you choose? I'm leaning toward the coil as long as I am sure it wont empty in my pocket if I'm moving around a lot.

MG23,

sockamodo

MattyGTwenty3 said:
As someone who has only used the original wood vapor genie I'll ask someone with more experience on the subject.

Westcoastr (or anyone else that owns both pieces) if you were to only have one VG between the coil and the aluminum bat which would you choose? I'm leaning toward the coil as long as I am sure it wont empty in my pocket if I'm moving around a lot.
I'm about to probably get the coil bat too. I've had my aluminum bat for probably a month already and it is better than i expected my only issue with this piece is how it uses a large amount of heat and the stainless steel coil genie looks like it will be more efficient but I wonder how much more heat will I save? I also agree with you I'll get it just as long as it doesn't empty in my pocket and it looks pretty indestructible even though they say on the website that in theory it can be bended out of shape. how hard would that be?

can someone answer these questions with a little more depth?

sockamodo,

sockamodo

salamanderfish said:
Just ordered the VG in hopes it will arrive in time for 420. I've never hit one ThCombustion: so I don't know how but soon I'll probably be askin the same question.
for sure u probably already got it what kind did u get?

sockamodo,

Spacenstein

@sockamodo

The site says it runs hotter, meaning you use less heat to get the same temperature you'd normally use with your Bat. Hopefully a hemp wick will be a functional way to heat this too, cause a smaller flame may be acceptable.

About the indestructiveness... (sp lol) I used my Aluminum VG pipe daily for about 2 years until it was stolen. I never had an issue with damaging it or loss of function. I'm afraid that the coil, after long term daily use, would lose its functionality somehow or another. For one, the coils create the airpath, which might not be airtight after you bend it. Has anyone asked VG if they will be selling replacement individual parts for the coil?

Now, a question for the glass VG owners.. (idk if i should ask this here or the other thread, but hopefully someone notices :p) Has your glass top cracked or anything from constant heat change? Also, how hot does the glass become/stay? Does anyone know how thick the glass is, on the pipe itself?

Spacenstein,

sockamodo

Spacenstein said:
@sockamodo

The site says it runs hotter, meaning you use less heat to get the same temperature you'd normally use with your Bat. Hopefully a hemp wick will be a functional way to heat this too, cause a smaller flame may be acceptable.

About the indestructiveness... (sp lol) I used my Aluminum VG pipe daily for about 2 years until it was stolen. I never had an issue with damaging it or loss of function. I'm afraid that the coil, after long term daily use, would lose its functionality somehow or another. For one, the coils create the airpath, which might not be airtight after you bend it. Has anyone asked VG if they will be selling replacement individual parts for the coil?

Now, a question for the glass VG owners.. (idk if i should ask this here or the other thread, but hopefully someone notices :p) Has your glass top cracked or anything from constant heat change? Also, how hot does the glass become/stay? Does anyone know how thick the glass is, on the pipe itself?
kool about how it runs hotter sounds pretty good thats mainly one of its selling points for me how dramatic do you think the change is with heating it? any one who has it yet?

sockamodo,

MG23

Relaxin'
I made an order for a coil VG.

Hopefully it gets here before work on Thursday :ko:

Spacenstein said:
Has anyone asked VG if they will be selling replacement individual parts for the coil?

"Spare replacement coils are available at reasonable cost if customers need replacements."

MG23,
@MattyGTwenty3: I've only had the Coil a few days, but i'd choose the Coil over the aluminum bat. Cleaner hits, more even vaporizing, and i definitely prefer stainless steel over aluminum. Even though the anodized aluminum seems safe, i've dropped it a couple times and it has a few dings in it, so i'll be using my aluminum bat as my 'backup' pipe from now on.

@Rin101: yep, i've tried the Coil outdoors. I find it works pretty much the same as the aluminum bat. Maybe a tad harder to cup your hand around it to shelter it from a breeze (because of the front intake), but it also cools off nice and fast. Because it's not super air-tight, i wouldn't bother using it on a windy day, but i don't expect that of a portable vaporizer anyway.

The front intake took me a couple times to get used to, but no big learning curve or anything. It's shorter than the aluminum bat, so it's still pretty easy to see the flame.

About the heat efficiency and flame size: the VG site does say a smaller flame might work, but so far i find i'm using the same size flame as i did with the aluminum bat (about 1 inch), and inhaling a bit faster, so i can achieve the same vapour hits in less time. So depending on your technique the smaller flame might work too. It feels like the heat is easier to keep consistent than the aluminum bat. With the Coil, the heat doesn't seem to "spike" as quickly, for lack of better terms. My vaporized material looks more consistent in colour, and the pulls seem slightly cleaner right up to the last pull.

As for the bendyness... while it's flexible, it feels like it would take some real abuse to actually bend out of shape. Both ends of the pipe have coils within coils. The intake half is pretty sturdy BTW, it's the top half that's more flexible. Pretty sure it could take a good fall on concrete, but i'm not about to test it ;)

One other note: i haven't had luck using the coil with a jet lighter yet. Maybe not airtight enough. I only tried that a couple times for interest sake... i normally use the 'flame' lighters anyway.

westcoastr,

sockamodo

westcoastr said:
@MattyGTwenty3: I've only had the Coil a few days, but i'd choose the Coil over the aluminum bat. Cleaner hits, more even vaporizing, and i definitely prefer stainless steel over aluminum. Even though the anodized aluminum seems safe, i've dropped it a couple times and it has a few dings in it, so i'll be using my aluminum bat as my 'backup' pipe from now on.

@Rin101: yep, i've tried the Coil outdoors. I find it works pretty much the same as the aluminum bat. Maybe a tad harder to cup your hand around it to shelter it from a breeze (because of the front intake), but it also cools off nice and fast. Because it's not super air-tight, i wouldn't bother using it on a windy day, but i don't expect that of a portable vaporizer anyway.

The front intake took me a couple times to get used to, but no big learning curve or anything. It's shorter than the aluminum bat, so it's still pretty easy to see the flame.

About the heat efficiency and flame size: the VG site does say a smaller flame might work, but so far i find i'm using the same size flame as i did with the aluminum bat (about 1 inch), and inhaling a bit faster, so i can achieve the same vapour hits in less time. So depending on your technique the smaller flame might work too. It feels like the heat is easier to keep consistent than the aluminum bat. With the Coil, the heat doesn't seem to "spike" as quickly, for lack of better terms. My vaporized material looks more consistent in colour, and the pulls seem slightly cleaner right up to the last pull.

As for the bendyness... while it's flexible, it feels like it would take some real abuse to actually bend out of shape. Both ends of the pipe have coils within coils. The intake half is pretty sturdy BTW, it's the top half that's more flexible. Pretty sure it could take a good fall on concrete, but i'm not about to test it ;)

One other note: i haven't had luck using the coil with a jet lighter yet. Maybe not airtight enough. I only tried that a couple times for interest sake... i normally use the 'flame' lighters anyway.
how much faster is the heat up time when comparing it to the aluminum bat genie? Sometimes I smoke out of my genie just to save lighters and I'm really thinking about getting the coil genie to solve my lighter problem and I'm wondering how dramatically more efficient it is with lighters. I'm sure there are other people out there that would like to know this too.

sockamodo,
sockamodo said:
how much faster is the heat up time when comparing it to the aluminum bat genie? Sometimes I smoke out of my genie just to save lighters and I'm really thinking about getting the coil genie to solve my lighter problem and I'm wondering how dramatically more efficient it is with lighters. I'm sure there are other people out there that would like to know this too.

Personally, i wouldn't say the coil is *dramatically* more heat-efficient with lighters than the aluminum bat, but it could depend on your technique. I'm using the same 1-inch flame as i did with the alumimum bat, but my tokes are maybe a couple seconds shorter... so i might end up using 10-15% less butane in the long run. Hard to say, really.

However, id say it's noticeably more efficient in terms of extracting more of the active ingredients. With the aluminum bat, i would often have a couple spots of really dark stuff (closer to burnt) mixed in with the nicely-vaporized material, and some fresh bits here and there. With the Coil, everything comes out a more consistent colour, and less instances of really dark spots, so cleaner vapor too.

westcoastr,

sockamodo

westcoastr said:
sockamodo said:

Personally, i wouldn't say the coil is *dramatically* more heat-efficient with lighters than the aluminum bat, but it could depend on your technique. I'm using the same 1-inch flame as i did with the alumimum bat, but my tokes are maybe a couple seconds shorter... so i might end up using 10-15% less butane in the long run. Hard to say, really.

However, id say it's noticeably more efficient in terms of extracting more of the active ingredients. With the aluminum bat, i would often have a couple spots of really dark stuff (closer to burnt) mixed in with the nicely-vaporized material, and some fresh bits here and there. With the Coil, everything comes out a more consistent colour, and less instances of really dark spots, so cleaner vapor too.
thanks sounds good one thing to note though that constant tokes would mean less flame usage as you take several tokes it keeps the heat in so good and little heat is lost to the surface. I'm thinking that as it keeps that heat in you use almost every bit of the heat that you put into it in the first place. When you take several hits in a row do you find yourself applying less flame as you get on to the next hit?

sockamodo,
sockamodo said:
thanks sounds good one thing to note though that constant tokes would mean less flame usage as you take several tokes it keeps the heat in so good and little heat is lost to the surface. I'm thinking that as it keeps that heat in you use almost every bit of the heat that you put into it in the first place. When you take several hits in a row do you find yourself applying less flame as you get on to the next hit?

I use pretty much the same size flame for each hit. When they refer to the heat not being lost to the surface, i think they mean that it "runs" hotter, they don't mean that it *retains* the heat, if that's sort of what you're asking. It cools down quickly. The fact that the coils have a lot of exposed surface area means the heat can escape faster than from a solid piece of metal.

I guess you could say it's overall more efficient for the fact that it takes fewer tokes to extract the active compounds, but i don't know if that means saving very much on lighters or butane. There's a lot of factors that can effect the performance so it's hard to say. Maybe someone else can shed more light on this when they get the Coil. I've only been vaporizing for 5 or 6 months now, so my technique may not be all that masterful, though it does give me good results.

westcoastr,

sockamodo

I have a question for people who got the Stainless Steel Coil Bat VG. On the end of the pipe where you apply the flame, how big is the hole? Is it as wide as it shows it on the site I can see the hole kinda, but I'm wondering is the hole that big hole on the end or does is there a wall inside that hole that has a smaller intake hole that I can't see.
Pics please?
I'm just asking this cuz I wanna know how hard is it to bring the flame in right without touching the filter.

sockamodo,
sockamodo said:
I have a question for people who got the Stainless Steel Coil Bat VG. On the end of the pipe where you apply the flame, how big is the hole? Is it as wide as it shows it on the site I can see the hole kinda, but I'm wondering is the hole that big hole on the end or does is there a wall inside that hole that has a smaller intake hole that I can't see.
Pics please?
I'm just asking this cuz I wanna know how hard is it to bring the flame in right without touching the filter.

My camera's on the fritz, but here's the measurements of the intake end:

At the very end, it's 9/16" / 14mm wide (inside measurement). The intake end is a coil within a coil, so it slants inward to about 7/16" / 11mm wide. The filter is about 1.75"/ 19mm away from the opening. Your flame would have to be pretty big to get it to touch the filter.

Back on the topic of heat efficiency: now that i've been using the Coil for about a week, i find i'm using maybe a bit smaller flame (maybe 3/4" to 7/8" as opposed to 1"). And compared to the aluminum bat, it seems it takes fewer pulls to get everything evenly vaporized.

westcoastr,
Top Bottom