• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VaporGenie problems, heat, coughing and soreness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HobbyStoner

Hey guys.

I bought a VaporGenie a few months back and have been using it exclusively since. I like vaping a lot but i've encountered a few problems that i want to run by all you guys.

1. A lot of the time i cough a lot after taking hits, a lot more than when i smoke weed. And not just right after i take the hit, i've experienced coughing for a few hours companied by lung-pain(kind of a burning tingling sensation) that really ruins my high.
Is this normal or is there something to worry about?

2. My throat gets really sore after i vape, and still is for a couple of days and i'm thinking, an it be that the vapor is too hot?
It's kind of hard to control with a VG and if i am to get decent hits i have no choice but to use a medium-sized flame.

3. I'm really high right now, which is not a problem:spliff:

HobbyStoner,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
It sounds more like higher temperature vapor bothers you, I cough with a few of my vapes the VaporGenie included. Other then rigging up a whip or water filtration I haven't found a good solution other then taking smaller hits and then I still end up coughing after a few hits.

I do have different vapes I can use for lower temps but long sessions over 380F always makes me cough at least a little.

Really High right now also, So maybe not much help.

RUDE BOY,

HobbyStoner

I tried taking a hit while having an ice cube in my mouth yesterday, which worked really well cooling the vape and seriously enhanced the taste.
Only problem is i smoke a lot on-the-go and it's tricky carrying ice in my pocket :(

Do you ever get that burning sensation in your lungs when you cough 30+min after you vape?

HobbyStoner,

Enchantre

Oil Painter
I find I cough more at lower temps. I think the THC is a lung irritant for me. Higher temps and shorter hits do not seem to bother me at all.

Just IMO

Enchantre,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I have after a really bad coughing fit. There always seems to be some disadvantages when out and about, if possible a one or two foot MFLB whip will help cool it down. You do not have to stretch the whip out straight to use it but you can leave it coiled pretty tightly, Not total stealth but it works. I make a 3 inch/7.62cm coil with the whip, the acrylic mouthpiece/connector on the MF whip fits in the hand carved VaporGenie. I can hold the whip and VG in one hand the lighter in another.

Sometimes just drinking more water before and during a session or at least a swallow of water and a few good breaths between hits will help a lot also.

I know you were talking about sucking on ice and that works but I don't use ice in my water filtration any more I have found warm water takes care of throat and lung irritation much much better for me.

edit; But Lady "E" don't you get THC at higher temps also? (Not sayin' some don't cough at lower VS High temp.)

Enchantre

Oil Painter
Yes, THC is always there. I see the temp range as a spectrum... at the lower end, the ratio of THC:CBD is higher - at the higher temps, the ratio of THC:CBD is less - whether it is actually less than CBD, I don't know, maybe not... but there is a higher ratio of CBD/CBN to THC at higher temps.

Maybe it is actually the terpenes I'm reacting to. More flavor at lower temps, too... might be unrelated to THC, but is related to temp.

Enchantre,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

natural farmer

Hey guys.

I bought a VaporGenie a few months back and have been using it exclusively since. I like vaping a lot but i've encountered a few problems that i want to run by all you guys.

1. A lot of the time i cough a lot after taking hits, a lot more than when i smoke weed. And not just right after i take the hit, i've experienced coughing for a few hours companied by lung-pain(kind of a burning tingling sensation) that really ruins my high.
Is this normal or is there something to worry about?

2. My throat gets really sore after i vape, and still is for a couple of days and i'm thinking, an it be that the vapor is too hot?
It's kind of hard to control with a VG and if i am to get decent hits i have no choice but to use a medium-sized flame.

3. I'm really high right now, which is not a problem:spliff:
My VG usually fucked my throat and lungs as well.. It could be related to sensitivity to the butane. My Lotus gives me far smoother hits. Smoother than any other vape I have tried. I could only vape through a vapor lung or a bong before I get it. Now I am back to dry hitting and I enjoy I much more. Can't bother much with complicated settings as well. I like to keep it simple. So maybe you should get a better VG, a Lotus...

natural farmer,
Reactions: tiukauleh

tiukauleh

You mean the Lotus 'clean air' vaporizer? the one that gives you instant butane-free vapor? The lotus that is oh-so sleek & stylish yet old-school? the same one that can be used as a peace pipe or a cudgel weapon? oh yeah, that lotus rocks....add water in mouth when hitting for water-cooled bubbler effect.

tiukauleh,
Reactions: KidFated.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations HobbyStoner,
Salutation Natural Farmer,

1. A lot of the time i cough... 2. My throat gets really sore...

Perhaps it might be a good idea to mention what model you have.
39.gif

Initially my 1st mapple Classic was a gift which was returned to me the year after, with a missing stem but it didn't matter as i only needed its "Ceramic Filter" to modify a 2nd one i had acquired for myself and which i was unable to use "as is" at 1st contact, hence the modding... Then i needed to buy a 3rd one for replacement because i found out that the foamy rocks erode pretty fast after too many manipulations (local resellers won't offer me those pucks alone). So this means my "Plan-B" cost me 3 pipes in the end!

40.gif

With that said, after 20 some reconfigurations i finally managed to adapt it for my own needs:

Eye-contact prevents contact with the flame so there's no soot generated, the only contaminants being those from the butane can, ideally; my articulated extension tubing also traps particules while providing suitable cooling. As for its reworked heat collector my purpose was to delay hot-spot formation due to what seemed to be a focussing action from the ceramic disk and this in turn made it easier for me not to combust...

All this modding allowed me to enjoy the pipe after months on a learning curve while i simply couldn't benefit from it's self-moisturizing action before, despite the fact that it's very real:
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vaporgenie.1/page-112#post-440722

Perhaps the bronze "Sherlock" model would have been a better match for you. In any case my modded Classic VG is only meant to be a "Plan-B", although it does a decent job unless i try to abuse...

...maybe you should get a better VG, a Lotus...

This was my opinion as well but then i found this, just a few days ago:

Should such a detail actually matter? I guess it depends if the inlet holes get deeply charred as well or not.

:peace:

Last edited:
Egzoset,

HobbyStoner

I have no idea what model other than it's a maple one. My main problem is not being able to modify it as it has to be very stealth and fit in my pocket, and as it is it's really pushing the limit.

HobbyStoner,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi HobbyStoner,

Does it feel too hot on your lips? Does your flame ever come to contact anything?

If your answer is "no" to both of these questions then an extension tubing isn't for you no matter how short anyway.

Do you see some hot-spot in your bowl after a few tokes?

If your answer is still "no" then none of what i've suggested is worth your attention - but yet i persist to think a bronze pipe may be more suitable, even for you...

Egzoset,

darkrom

Great Scott!
"open air" butane vapes ALWAYS bother me. I get sores in my mouth on days I use them, never happened a day in my life that I didn't. I've always had good luck with vapor genie and the similar style, but it is not worth the irritation that they definitely cause me. I'm sure I'm just more sensitive to butane than others, since it never seems to happen to anyone else I know. They just aren't for everyone.

HobbyStoner

Hi HobbyStoner,

Does it feel too hot on your lips? Does your flame ever come to contact anything?

If your answer is "no" to both of these questions then an extension tubing isn't for you no matter how short anyway.

Do you see some hot-spot in your bowl after a few tokes?

If your answer is still "no" then none of what i've suggested is worth your attention - but yet i persist to think a bronze pipe may be more suitable, even for you...

Well i can feel some warmth on my lips, but nothing too bad. And the flame only touches the filter on rare occasions if i'm in a big hurry or something, but usually not.

HobbyStoner,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Darkrom,
Hi again HobbyStoner,

They just aren't for everyone.

Considering the extensive amount of modding in my VG Classic i must admit this statement sounds quite true to me as well. Also, lets not forget our lighters ain't perfect and hence i doubt it would be reasonable to expect an ideal butane burning reaction from them, especially when using cans with "near zero" (15 ~ 30 ppm) content of "stable non-volatile impurities" (e.g. contaminants)... On top of that, in retrospective it seems i faced a confusing context where terpenes may have been involved actually: last week i experienced sore eyes + rafale sneezing though the very same batch no longer induces these apparent allergy signs today - and yet my butane remains unchanged of course.

So, no matter what i'll keep calling my pipe a "Plan-B" as you can imagine... :ko:

Well i can feel some warmth on my lips, but nothing too bad. And the flame only touches the filter on rare occasions if i'm in a big hurry or something, but usually not.

2502qgz.jpg

The original VG black plastic mouthpiece conducted too much heat for my own taste so i adopted short teflon straw sections joining the different parts together, to render PVC tubing optional while keeping the HA ballon mouthpiece as a replacement in every configuration.

For me it's much easier to focuss on a flame if my lips don't burn, allowing me to avoid soot production... I figure you may want to try something similar as it only adds 1¼" in length but still helps significantly.

Egzoset,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom