Vapman

Radwin Bodnic

so i have had my vapman for.. a year & a half maybe? really fond of it still, #1 in my rotation, BUT i feel like taste has gone downhill noticeably. there is cleaning advice in this thread that i think (?) i followed: unscrew & soak the mid section in acetone, clean mouthpiece & metal parts with alcohol. it is possible maybe i waited too long to clean the midsection, took me a while to purchase acetone (...), and this midpiece looked really grimy on the inside. but after the acetone bath i thought it would be fine. it looks fine now, scorched, yes, but that just happens over time right?
another variable i suppose is the actual material i put in it. i dont get fresh ingredients here often, so what i had in stock degraded over time, and what i just got fresh is a different variety. but still. i feel like i remember the vapman tasting better than this. maybe i am heating wrong now? i try to do it slow, usually multiple shorter heat cycles instead of the 3s on / off, but i have tried everything lately, taste is just really muted. maybe it is me? in any case, if anyone has advice, id love to hear it, b/c vapman is still my #1.

In the Vapman, you really taste the reclaim in the middle section. The taste is always better when it's clean.
How long have you been soaking in acetone ? How much baths ? Ideally you want to do 2-3 baths 1h each, with gentle shaking from time to time. The acetone of the 3rd bath should stay almost clear.

Have you cleaned the bowl ? The nozzles ?

I also think that the pear wood keep a good taste longer than the walnut. The walnut quickly brings the heavy taste you get from the oils impregnated in the wood.

To my taste the microdosing sieve make a noticeable difference and the glass mouthpiece an even bigger difference.

The material is definitely the big part of the equation. Terpenes are super volatils, if your weed is months old, then it has lost most of his taste.

One last question, how is your roast ?
I noticed that going for darker roasts (even slowly) over a few sessions will impregnate the bad taste quicker.

im not a robot

thank you! such a helpful answer.
i only did 1 acetone bath, i think that must be it, the left over acetone was anything but clear. i had not even considered this needed multiple cycles - the acetone smelled unpleasant enough i was glad the 1st bath was done. but i know what to try now. will do so first thing tomorrow!

i fear i lost my microdosing sieve to the vacuum cleaner, and my afc mouthpiece to the beach, so i have been using the glass mouthpiece exclusively for a good while now. thoughts regarding darker roasts are interesting, i have certainly not considered this before, and will keep an eye on it. ever since i noticed the decline in taste i usually dumped loads while they were still pretty light, but it fluctuated in the past for sure.
thanks again! looking forward to giving my vapman a good proper bath tomorrow.

fangorn

Wow... My oldest vapman is probably a year old... But I never thought of soaking the middle part in acetone...

I clean with a cotton swab dipped in acetone...

It’s really nothing to worry about?!

well... I mean... You're doing it so it must be good, but it's scary!

Phytotherapy

Since we are talking cleaning: the pan of my vapman ) ca. 1 year old) has gotten horribly dirty/black/ stained through regular (but not at all daily) use. I do use hash regularly, in the beginning exclusively with the sieve, but I that does not prevent the hash from staining the pan on the sides etc. Nowadays, I usually sprinkle some has on top of some herb.
I tried cleaning with little pieces of this kind of magic brush and iso, as recommended above. It helps te reduce the build-ip, but doe snot get the thing shiny. And it is quite a chore, so I stopped doing it after two attempts.

Phytotherapy,
Reactions: Dr. G

Radwin Bodnic

Since we are talking cleaning: the pan of my vapman ) ca. 1 year old) has gotten horribly dirty/black/ stained through regular (but not at all daily) use. I do use hash regularly, in the beginning exclusively with the sieve, but I that does not prevent the hash from staining the pan on the sides etc. Nowadays, I usually sprinkle some has on top of some herb.
I tried cleaning with little pieces of this kind of magic brush and iso, as recommended above. It helps te reduce the build-ip, but doe snot get the thing shiny. And it is quite a chore, so I stopped doing it after two attempts.
Have you tried this :
Post in thread 'Vapman'
https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/vapman.94/post-1748495

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but does anyone know a UK vendor carrying wooden Vapman cases?

Perfect_Speed4069,

Radwin Bodnic

let me know if this works

The mica layer is flaking off. It happens when it has been in contact with liquids or solvents.

You can use boiled linseed oil to harden it. With a small brush, apply the linseed oil on the parts that are flaking, then let it dry. You can repeat this operation 2-3 times until the mica has hardened.

This is how René stabilize the edges of the mica on the Swiss vapman.

Edit : if it ends in the bowl, you should stop using your Vapman until fixed. Breathing mica dust is harmful.

Rainbow and Rasta

The mica layer is flaking off. It happens when it has been in contact with liquids or solvents.

You can use boiled linseed oil to harden it. With a small brush, apply the linseed oil on the parts that are flaking, then let it dry. You can repeat this operation 2-3 times until the mica has hardened.

This is how René stabilize the edges of the mica on the Swiss vapman.

Edit : if it ends in the bowl, you should stop using your Vapman until fixed. Breathing mica dust is harmful.
Thank you for helping out 💚
does the linseed oil have to be boiled ?

Rainbow and Rasta,

Rainbow and Rasta

Boiled linseed oil (sometimes double boiled), will be less fluid. It will make a stronger protective layer and will dry faster than cold pressed linseed oil. It won't penetrate as deep though.
So I just boil the cold pressed linseed oil for 5 minutes or so ?

Last edited:
Rainbow and Rasta,

bankruptcy

This morning I embarked in a little project.

A couple of weeks ago a mixture of necessity and curiosity made me sell my kotibé classic, finances were a bit slim ("nome omen" used to say the Latins) and I also wanted to get a new piece. I came across a very old and used walnut pure for cheap and decided to restore it to former glory. Coincidentally the black friday made the spare parts cheaper and the process even more convenient.

The piece was heavily worn, the metal was pretty stained. However the char was evenly formed with regular use and the wood had already a pleasant and aromatic scent.

Despite that it was barely usable in my opinion.

Got a new pan, new springs, new screws, new filter. Much better.

Flavor is good as always with an additional nice aroma of walnut, i think it will improve even more if I go a little bit deeper with the process. I have in mind to maybe gently sand some sections and soak in acetone the "middle" piece, but I am also satisfied with the current result.

In the end I got the piece I wanted, pursued a fun project and even made a couple bucks.

Last edited:

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Hi so I recently bought a vapman for myself, and I got to say it is just lovely. I bought it direct from their site. I usually try to buy used, most stuff anyway trying to not waste resources, but it's not always easy now. This little thing had my attention as soon as I found out about it

Also it is my third vape, after v3 pro and tinymight 2 (technically 4th, had a tinymight 1 before upgrading to the 2). Will probably give away my v3 to one of my friends. And these vapmans are so small..! I got a classic in walnut, but curious how the others taste

So easy to use too! The avb looked nice too.

Still learning though, I did miss target by a little once and the heat/flame seems to have singed the edge of some mica on top by the bowl

Hope everyone has a nice weekend

ezpz

what is the gentlest way of cleaning the vapman bowl?
Bowl only cleaning.
Magic eraser. Wet, squeeze, rub. Then paper towel. Wet, squeeze, rub. Then dry paper towel. Then hairdryer for a little bit. Not sure how many people do it this way, but works for me. I try to squeeze out as much water as I can so when rubbing, no water seeps into the air intake holes. Also, don’t use the magic eraser on the wood.

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
Bowl only cleaning.
Magic eraser. Wet, squeeze, rub. Then paper towel. Wet, squeeze, rub. Then dry paper towel. Then hairdryer for a little bit. Not sure how many people do it this way, but works for me. I try to squeeze out as much water as I can so when rubbing, no water seeps into the air intake holes. Also, don’t use the magic eraser on the wood.
Good advice, but given how MEs work, (it will basically remove a miniscule layer of the gold plating as well as the muckment), it's something I do once, maybe twice a year.

Last edited:

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
Eeurrghh so I was a bit too cocky when I said this was easy to use. Wanted to try some hash this time...and burned it. And it isn't the taste that bothers me, not that I like it but eh doesn't bother me. It's that the mouthpiece and middle part now STINK

Went immediately and started washing them with soap (I don't have any acetone). Smells a bit better? Lesson learned.

Tellus,
Reactions: Dr. G

rizlafreak

two dog star
I'm thinking about buying the classic in the black friday sale... would you with the AFC mouthpiece or just regular?
I tend to the proven.

rizlafreak,
Top Bottom