vaping inside without anyone else knowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeandskate

So i have a few questions for you guys. ill be buying my first vape soon (ssv) and usually i would go outside into my car at night and smoke in there, but now with the vape do you think its a good idea to vape in my room without the people im living with know. Im living in an apartment and im just sorta curious how far the smell travels? anyone have any info on vaping in their house without anyone else knowing and as far as the distance they are to where your vaping?

smokeandskate,

bongoman

I vape inside all the time and noone knows. If someone walks in as you've just exhaled then they'll probably catch a whiff, but otherwise it's really clean. If you can close the door and have some ventilation, then there's nothing to worry about.

bongoman,

youdontknowme

In my experience, its not quite that low key. The smell does not travel very much (eg. not really at all, in your own room you are fine) and does not linger like the smell of smoke. Just make sure no one's coming around for a couple hours and you should be fine. I was able to vape in my room all the time without my parents being able to tell. With a fan bringing in fresh air you are probably much better off, I remember when we had the window units in I could be vaping and my parents would walk in very shortly afterwards and not notice. Now I usually give it overnight, buts it's not really necessary. Overnight and you are golden. But while you are vaping? You might get busted. Its definitely a different type of smell, but its there. If anywhere in your house has a bit of a funk or musk or whatever (basement, etc) that odor could probably cover the vape odor up.

In your own apartment you are basically good to go. I vaped in my dorm room several times every day and it was never an issue.

So basically what bongo said: close the door and a little fresh air and let the good times roll!

be safe. :peace:

youdontknowme,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
anyone have any info on vaping in their house without anyone else knowing and as far as the distance they are to where your vaping?
My housemates don't like the smell, but a cinnamon candle completely masks it when I'm alone--to the point that they had to concede that it didn't smell and, therefore, didn't matter to them (with large groups I go into the garage with the candle and open the garage door a couple of inches at the bottom)

:2c: I know that just opening a container of (or grinding) powerful/aromatic herbs can bomb a large room with aroma (IMO, this is usually as much of an issue, if not more, than the vaporizing when it comes to smell)

Hope this helps.

Toke care!

Progress,

youdontknowme

sploof = buzz kill
reduce herb odor by keeping your jar in the fridge
vaping in car = win anyway. get an inverter. hot box that shit. play some tunes. you know the drill.

and yeah, my appt mates didn't realize i was vaping for several weeks. :p

youdontknowme,

KeepCalm

Reindeer, reindeer, reindeer
My wife can only tell I've vaped by the changes in my personality, not the smell ;)

Yesterday though she walked in the door after I had ground up about a g of some ridiculously dank purple erkel and she said it smelled like a "weed factory" in the living room :lol:

KeepCalm,

bsandhu

only time somebody knows im vaping is the noise of the fan
and i live at home, just turn on some music on my speakers n yea covers up the noise smells for bout 30 minutes then goes away

bsandhu,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
KeepCalm said:
My wife can only tell I've vaped by the changes in my personality, not the smell ;)

Yesterday though she walked in the door after I had ground up about a g of some ridiculously dank purple erkel and she said it smelled like a "weed factory" in the living room :lol:
yo man your wife dont kno a factory till you pull up the coffee tables and sit her down with a pair of scissors and a pile of nuggets :cool: not to mention the hardy smell of GREEN in the air the would plague your house 3 months prior

then your house will really smell and become, the nugget factory :bigleaf:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

max

Out to lunch
Vapor, like smoke, is less detectable if you're careful to limit how much you exhale. When I smoked I normally used a pipe whose bowl was very easy to cover after a hit (flip top). So the amount of side stream smoke was very little. Also taking small hits allowed me to exhale very little smoke. The difference in smell between my pipe (and small hits) and smoking a joint was huge. Vapor is even easier to control. It dissipates quicker than smoke and is easier on your lungs as far as holding the hit.

The biggest problem you'll have is that the Surfer can deliver some whopping big hits. If you're not careful you may find yourself with some huge hits that will be difficult to hold. If limiting the amount of vapor you exhale is a priority, you may have to force yourself to take much smaller hits on the SSV than is normal. Like Progress said, a masking smell from incense or essential oil would overcome vapor odor.

max,

Beezleb

Those who do not imbibe weed in any form are generally pretty sensitive to sensing it. Vaporizers are a good tool in limiting the exposure but it is not a silver bullet so to speak.

I have to express what others here already have about masking the scent through incense or oils and such. For stealth purposes I wouldnt really consider the SSV because of the whip and wand aspect to it.

I would seriously look at your needs and situation and decide a vape based on those aspects.

Beezleb,

Frickr

just turn the heat up a little bit till you get the "burnt" popcorn taste, make a bag of popcorn and munch out after you vape ;)

all jokes aside, the smell does linger for a while. ive had friends come over and could tell that we were vaping even though it had been over a half hour since we fired it up. i would just find a nice candle something that alone isnt overpowering in itself (like incents) and just light that after you vape. or with the ssv i would just purchas the essance oil bowl and just have that sitting on top all day long.

the smell isnt strong but its there. so a second smell would easily cover it. thats all i plan on doing in my dorm once i meet my roommate and find out if hes cool about it or not.

Frickr,

smokeandskate

Beezleb said:
Those who do not imbibe weed in any form are generally pretty sensitive to sensing it. Vaporizers are a good tool in limiting the exposure but it is not a silver bullet so to speak.

I have to express what others here already have about masking the scent through incense or oils and such. For stealth purposes I wouldnt really consider the SSV because of the whip and wand aspect to it.

I would seriously look at your needs and situation and decide a vape based on those aspects.
What exactly do you mean by reconsider the ssv. And I'm thinking i'll just run it in my car at night with a inverter or use a cancel to mask it? What if I blew the hits out a window since there's no excess smoke from vaporizers like there is from a joint or such?

smokeandskate,

Beezleb

I mean the physical appearance of the wand and whip. From a stealth reason its apparent what its used for if seen. When I open the container my wand and tube are in, instant pot smell.

It has nothing to do with the smell during its use. With the SSV using oils at the same time is said to do much to disguise the smell and the SSV and the diffuser can be used at the same time. Some people select the SSV just for this purpose but like I said, I notice that when I open the box I keep my wand and tube in the smell of weed is instant. I would suggest running ISO through it after use but that runs up the pain in the arse factor.

I am under the impression there are people in your home that you do not want knowing what you are doing? The SSV in appearance would likely spawn questions about what it is and where some other vapes are more discreet.

I myself use Da Buddha vape and love it but I wouldn't call it stealthy and the ssv is not much stealthier than the DB.

I think the window thing would help and I would get a few of those air fresheners that plug into the wall so people get used to smelling air fresheners in that area of the house.

Just my opinion on the issue.

Beezleb,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
If your not likely to be bothered, put a towel under your doorway, crack a window, use some aromatherapy oils (something citrus, that way it blends well with the weed smell to make something fruity), but not too much, and try vaporizing at lower temperatures. I don't think you'll have any problems, then again, I don't know the specific layout of your apt. If you have vents, make sure they are covered. As others have said, the odor from vaporizing is significantly less but still noticeable (especially for those that know 'the herb'). It's a lot more of a 'flowery' smell. I don't even remember what weed smoke smells like.... campfire? :lol:

Blowing hits out the window can be tricky because of wind & cold. If your seriously worried, just get a trash bag and blow your hits in their. You can rig a plastic bottle or something as a 'mouthpiece'. The smell will just dissipate in their and you can fold it up, throw it away, or expel it out the window. We use to do this a lot when we smoked. Worked wonders. I know.... some might call it a buzzkill, but I think vaporizing outside, in a car, being sneaky or possibly caught is a worse buzzkill.

SpiralArchitect,

Beezleb

That trash can thing is a great idea. I would also put some dryer sheets on the bottom of the trash can.

Beezleb,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
SpiralArchitect said:
If your seriously worried, just get a trash bag and blow your hits in their. You can rig a plastic bottle or something as a 'mouthpiece'. The smell will just dissipate in their and you can fold it up, throw it away, or expel it out the window. We use to do this a lot when we smoked. Worked wonders. I know.... some might call it a buzzkill, but I think vaporizing outside, in a car, being sneaky or possibly caught is a worse buzzkill.
I read somewhere that some people were hitting vape bags and exhaling it back in the bag. The exhaled vapor was reported to still get people fucked up. So if you are worried about stealth, maybe you go with Spiral's bag deal and keep hitting it until it is no longer visible. Maybe you'll be super efficient that way. I'd like to know if recycling vapor this way works.

stickstones,

Frickr

stickstones said:
SpiralArchitect said:
If your seriously worried, just get a trash bag and blow your hits in their. You can rig a plastic bottle or something as a 'mouthpiece'. The smell will just dissipate in their and you can fold it up, throw it away, or expel it out the window. We use to do this a lot when we smoked. Worked wonders. I know.... some might call it a buzzkill, but I think vaporizing outside, in a car, being sneaky or possibly caught is a worse buzzkill.
I read somewhere that some people were hitting vape bags and exhaling it back in the bag. The exhaled vapor was reported to still get people fucked up. So if you are worried about stealth, maybe you go with Spiral's bag deal and keep hitting it until it is no longer visible. Maybe you'll be super efficient that way. I'd like to know if recycling vapor this way works.
ive tried doing that, and it was with a smaller bag, but the end result of a few breaths back in ended up being a bad breath/warm/wet air combination and was really unappealing and even kind of gross to inhale. also i dont think that would be healthy since you wouldnt be getting very much oxygen after breathing in your own 'breath' so could cause some light headedness.

Frickr,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
:2c:

Exhaled vapor does have an odor (I'm talking about smelling a freshly exhaled cloud). Don't think anyone would disagree there.

Beyond that it totally depends on what you're vaping, how much, at what temp, etc. etc. The first exhale from a fresh bowl smells different than the 3rd hit for example (more like 'weed' the more you cook a a bowl, ime). Interpretation of the smell is also totally dependent on the individual. Personally I find it quite pleasant, and I loathe the smell of smoke. Absolutely night and day. It also dissipates much more quickly than smoke, and subsequently it doesn't spread as much or linger. As mentioned, a scented candle is more powerful. Some vapes even have aromatherapy oil diffusing capabilities. ;)

anyone have any info on vaping in their house without anyone else knowing and as far as the distance they are to where your vaping?
I've vaporized in multiple non-smoking houses completely undetected. In a separate room, smell is basically a non-issue. Of course, your mileage may vary.

:)

vtac,

youdontknowme

Worth repeating:
Beezleb said:
Those who do not imbibe weed in any form are generally pretty sensitive to sensing it.
If you are dodging your parents (no shame there) 1) car is foolproof 2) do it in your room when you know they wont be around for several hours, eg. after they go to bed or during the middle of the day. you can absolutely get away with it, even if they know you smoke and are on the lookout. I've never needed to mask the vapor odor, and when vaping I enjoy the piece of mind that comes with never worrying about hurrying up to finish to the whip so that the evidence dissipates. Which it will, eventually.

youdontknowme,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
youdontknowme said:
Worth repeating:
Beezleb said:
Those who do not imbibe weed in any form are generally pretty sensitive to sensing it.
Yup, but on the other hand, many of those people probably couldn't identify marijuana vapor for what it is. Unless you blow it right in their face, I don't think many people would find the smell offensive in itself.

You're right, gotta use your own judgment depending on your situation. :tup:

vtac,

bsandhu

youdontknowme said:
Worth repeating:
Beezleb said:
If you are dodging your parents (no shame there) 1) car is foolproof 2) do it in your room when you know they wont be around for several hours, eg. after they go to bed or during the middle of the day. you can absolutely get away with it, even if they know you smoke and are on the lookout. I've never needed to mask the vapor odor, and when vaping I enjoy the piece of mind that comes with never worrying about hurrying up to finish to the whip so that the evidence dissipates. Which it will, eventually.
my mom knows i smoke weed, but doesn't care as much now because the house doesn't stink up any more.

just smells werid for for first 30-60 minutes after that smells gone but my room has permavape smell because of the vaporized weed im keeping for cooking

bsandhu,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom