Discontinued VapeXhale Cloud EVO

green2brown

IIRC most owners of tickers have grown fond of the sound.

Exactly. I had an OG ticker and it was nice to have an audible cue to know if the unit shut off. It allowed me to turn it back on before the unit cooled. With the Cloud+ and EVO, I've come back to a cold unit a number of times and then had to wait again for it to heat up. The ticking noise had its benefits.

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Some more voodoo from the new bamboo . . . :)

So since I have received my EVO I have not cleaned it, something I ordinarily just wouldn't do, so that I could observe how the honey deposits on the inside of the GonG. Unlike the Cloud+ which formed a definite baked on "ring" the EVO leaves an even "area" where the ELB is right up the where the cap would be in fact. Photography revealed some striations forming my naked eye couldn't see, almost like sedimentary layers . . . the honey on the EVO is also lighter in color and yummy smelling compared to the hard baked ring of the Cloud+ . . . EVO is much more refined here I think. More on cleaning l8tr . . . :peace:

spray_1.jpg

---
spray_2.jpg

Last edited:

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Guilty, as charged! Despite having an EVO I have yet to put my ticker away. Just so fond of it and the industrial feel.

My early OG does not and never did tick. I fired it up today just for the hell of it, first time in months. I'd forgotten how much heft it has. But IMO my EVO is a whole step up. I had thought that I would sell the OG once I got the EVO, but I've decided against that. After all, it still performs perfectly, and sitting at my vape station next to the EVO it provides memories of what a great ride the Cloud has given me from the get-go.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
My early OG does not and never did tick. I fired it up today just for the hell of it, first time in months. I'd forgotten how much heft it has. But IMO my EVO is a whole step up. I had thought that I would sell the OG once I got the EVO, but I've decided against that. After all, it still performs perfectly, and sitting at my vape station next to the EVO it provides memories of what a great ride the Cloud has given me from the get-go.

Agree 150% the EVO is a major advance.

arf777

No longer dogless
Agree 150% the EVO is a major advance.
Hmmm. After more side by side testing, I do like the EVO a lot. But it actually produces less vapor at the same settings than my OG.

Don't get me wrong, the EVO is awesome. But other than heating up about 5 minutes faster, and the lighter weight, I don't see it as a better vape than my OG ticker.

Of course i may not be the best judge, as my daily drivers were already a perfectly-functioning cloud and a Bates-approved turbine. So not really much change for me. After another day, it isn't punching through the tolerance anymore :(. But I've been vaping a shitload since getting off all my pain meds.

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Hmmm. After more side by side testing, I do like the EVO a lot. But it actually produces less vapor at the same settings than my OG.

Don't get me wrong, the EVO is awesome. But other than heating up about 5 minutes faster, and the lighter weight, I don't see it as a better vape than my OG ticker.

Of course i may not be the best judge, as my daily drivers were already a perfectly-functioning cloud and a Bates-approved turbine. So not really much change for me. After another day, it isn't punching through the tolerance anymore :(. But I've been vaping a shitload since getting off all my pain meds.

Comparing the units based on what temp the dial produces wouldn't be an accurate depiction of the full temp range improvement on the EVO. The OG Clouds (if anyone remembers) didn't have a linear power band (that time on purpose) and your EVO's top end should be higher than your OG's top end heat so that you have a fuller usable temp spectrum to take advantage of low, mid, and high temp compounds that vaporize at various temperatures.

One last thing, Go NINERS!!!!

John Lewus

IIRC most owners of tickers have grown fond of the sound.

My fuzzy memory remembers there being a discussion in this forum early on about the ticking noise. People complained or expressed their concern in here. VapeXhale listened and modified the design. People then praised VXL for listening and then later people complained about the change. You just can't win. That's how I remember it.

exit

What's the chance of seeing some Titanium ELB's? :)

My friends and I keep complaining about the normal ELBs that after repeated handling, you can kind of feel lil bits of the mesh sticking into your fingers. Titanium ELB would rule too for concentrates!

PoopMachine

Just found out my bamboo is cracked internally. Im only posting this as a public service announcement because I actually have glass dust that has come up to the top of the bamboo. Thank goodness the ELBs go in there or it would have been bad news.

Everyone please check your bamboo and make sure they are air tight.. if they arent, get a support ticket open for a return. I just cut my leg on a piece of the bamboo that apparently fell out of my Evo on to my bed.

My Evo will be making it's way back to the mothership soon for a repair.

Last edited:

TheSkipper

Smooth sailing while I'm inhaling... VAPOR
I really hate to type this but has anyone else noticed looking down into the EVO through the bamboo and seeing glass that looks like it super heated right where the heater is?

I don't think I have cracks but the glass in the middle of the bamboo looks like the top of glass nail after being torched a bunch.

To me its an indicator of the lifespan of the bamboo which I am sure will eventually crack:cry:

I also believe that this may be the nature of this beast as it has such a powerful heater and it has glass in contact with that heater. I just wish bamboos were user replaceable; this would give the EVO a much longer lifespan.

Until it cracks though this thing will continue to medicate me better than any vape i have owned
Btw I have really been enjoying using concentrates with dry mouthpiece. Strong effects and crazy flavor:rockon:

TheSkipper,

SD_haze

I really hate to type this but has anyone else noticed looking down into the EVO through the bamboo and seeing glass that looks like it super heated right where the heater is?

I don't think I have cracks but the glass in the middle of the bamboo looks like the top of glass nail after being torched a bunch.

To me its an indicator of the lifespan of the bamboo which I am sure will eventually crack:cry:

I also believe that this may be the nature of this beast as it has such a powerful heater and it has glass in contact with that heater. I just wish bamboos were user replaceable; this would give the EVO a much longer lifespan.

Until it cracks though this thing will continue to medicate me better than any vape i have owned
Btw I have really been enjoying using concentrates with dry mouthpiece. Strong effects and
The EVO has a different design so surely take this with a grain of salt, BUT my OG Cloud has a red glow in the bamboo (like a red hot nail) after just 15mins on noon.

So my bamboo has gotten red hot for 16+ months and no cracks. Max temp used plenty of times with no issue.

Wishing your unit luck!

TheSkipper

Smooth sailing while I'm inhaling... VAPOR
The EVO has a different design so surely take this with a grain of salt, BUT my OG Cloud has a red glow in the bamboo (like a red hot nail) after just 15mins on noon.

So my bamboo has gotten red hot for 16+ months and no cracks. Max temp used plenty of times with no issue.

Wishing your unit luck!

That actually makes me feel much better:clap:. Thanks SD_haze!

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization

Btw I have really been enjoying using concentrates with dry mouthpiece. Strong effects and crazy flavor:rockon:

This came up in an earlier discussion with SM. The somewhat dull red glow around the bamboo is normal and expected. My understanding is that the heater does not come into direct contact with the glass, which is important to allow for expansion/contraction.

arf777

No longer dogless
Comparing the units based on what temp the dial produces wouldn't be an accurate depiction of the full temp range improvement on the EVO. The OG Clouds (if anyone remembers) didn't have a linear power band (that time on purpose) and your EVO's top end should be higher than your OG's top end heat so that you have a fuller usable temp spectrum to take advantage of low, mid, and high temp compounds that vaporize at various temperatures.

One last thing, Go NINERS!!!!

I ordered a new IR thermometer - I lost mine, think it's with my lost Pinnacle - so I can check the temp difference between the OG ticker and the EVO.

After more testing, I definitely agree with those who've pointed out that the EVO is much better with an HT than the original cloud. Really seems designed for it, and I love the EB turbine HT.

Also, on SM's advice, I turned booth units all the way to full, then compared. The vapor seems equally dense - I can;t see through either - but the EVO ABV is much more evenly cooked, and the vape tests better to the last pull.

Also, turning the EVO to 5 for 10 minutes or so, then turning it back down to my desired setting, makes its performance better. And its behavior is more predictable - the dial is more accurate. On the OG I sometimes scorch at only 2; has not happened on the EVO.

I think my OG ticker has been running hot for a while. I've been getting literally black ABV from it.

Will report more later, espec with temp comparisons. I must say, if I hadn't already had a Cloud, the EVO would be a dream come true.

M00NEY

I got to introduce a friend to the EVO this weekend. He is in love.

As we were enjoying the process and the effects, we got to discussing the intricacies of this particular vape, how cool the HT is, the design, how it can invert, why the ELB is so freaking great, understanding how he combusted one time - all sorts of fun discussion.

We got to discussing the heat up time and it spawned a few questions on the heat up time and process and what is actually going on there with the green light and the unit actually being ready to use.

If we let the unit cool off and turn it on to 1PM and pull a hit as soon as it turns green, there is wispy, DELICIOUS vapor there. If we then walk away from the EVO for 10 or 15 minutes, we come back to that same 1PM setting and get some nice thick vapor, still delicious. I think we have discussed that that is a result of the thermal mass being built up - but what does that actually mean?

Now that I have been thinking on it, it makes me wonder if the temperature is rising internally (as the unit gets all that insulation saturated with heat) or if the path that the air passes through is up to temp for a wider area. If it is simply wider, then I think it allows the air passing through to get to the right temp easier, as there is more exposure to THAT temp. If it is getting hotter, then I would think it is equalizing to a temp based on intake air temp > hot spot > happy medium between the two. I would hazard to guess that the latter of those two potentials (there may be more possibilities that have not hit me) would provide a less accurate interface - but I am not sure that matters (at least not for me, where this is pretty much all entertainment, not medical).

TL;DR - Once the unit is fully warmed up - be it via turbo mode or 10-15 minutes on, is the heated air path larger or hotter (or both) than at the initial green light?

FWIW, this is curiosity - performance is excellent.

arf777

No longer dogless
I got to introduce a friend to the EVO this weekend. He is in love.

As we were enjoying the process and the effects, we got to discussing the intricacies of this particular vape, how cool the HT is, the design, how it can invert, why the ELB is so freaking great, understanding how he combusted one time - all sorts of fun discussion.

We got to discussing the heat up time and it spawned a few questions on the heat up time and process and what is actually going on there with the green light and the unit actually being ready to use.

If we let the unit cool off and turn it on to 1PM and pull a hit as soon as it turns green, there is wispy, DELICIOUS vapor there. If we then walk away from the EVO for 10 or 15 minutes, we come back to that same 1PM setting and get some nice thick vapor, still delicious. I think we have discussed that that is a result of the thermal mass being built up - but what does that actually mean?

Now that I have been thinking on it, it makes me wonder if the temperature is rising internally (as the unit gets all that insulation saturated with heat) or if the path that the air passes through is up to temp for a wider area. If it is simply wider, then I think it allows the air passing through to get to the right temp easier, as there is more exposure to THAT temp. If it is getting hotter, then I would think it is equalizing to a temp based on intake air temp > hot spot > happy medium between the two. I would hazard to guess that the latter of those two potentials (there may be more possibilities that have not hit me) would provide a less accurate interface - but I am not sure that matters (at least not for me, where this is pretty much all entertainment, not medical).

TL;DR - Once the unit is fully warmed up - be it via turbo mode or 10-15 minutes on, is the heated air path larger or hotter (or both) than at the initial green light?

FWIW, this is curiosity - performance is excellent.

'Thermal mass' is widely used in engineering (the wikipedia entry acts like it is only about buildings, which is odd - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_mass). But thermal mass is the general concept that mass provides a form of temperature inertia or control - a 4 oz. piece of rock, heated to the same temp as an identical 2 oz rock, will hold the heat longer and more consistently than the 2 oz rock. So in vapes, as the whole mass of the vape heats up, the vape temperature becomes more stable and consistent.

Also a hugely important concept in evolutionary biology - it is now thought that many of the large dinosaurs were warm-blooded, but only through thermal mass effects. Sauropods were so large, the heat generated internally by digestion, and gathered externally from the sun, gave them a consistent, higher-than-ambient body temp. Whales take advantage of this to stay warm even in the coldest waters - thought to be one of the reasons some are soooo big. Notice, no small dolphins in Antarctic waters, just bigger fuckers like humpbacks. I think the smallest 'whales' seen in the Antarctic are Orca (which are big dolphins).

max

Out to lunch
MOONEY said:
The insulator around the glass does make a difference in holding the heat, so as sm55 has said, the best way to crank up the EVO from a cold start is to set it at about 3, then once it's green, turn it back down to your chose starting point and wait for green again. So you have an option in how you start, at your desired temp for quicker access to vapor, or setting it high initially in order to create your heat exchange effect.

Top Bottom