Vacuum sealing mason jars to extend life

mcscruffy

I bought a mason jar vacuum sealer off an Amazon deal for $20-25 thinking it would help preserve the flower longer, but I keep questioning myself on this... does anyone have experience with doing this? I've read that it can preserve the cure quality and potency for up to 2-3 years, but I am not understanding how creating a vacuum around the trichromes would not damage them or pull moisture out toward the surface and affect the cure.

Is it better to pump out as much air as possible or only some and have a partial vacuum?

Is there any point to having Boost packs in the jars considering humidity doesn't really exist in a vacuum?

Does this help for jars you are currently consuming the contents of where you will be opening it multiple times a week for fresh grinds (I grind 2-3x per week, typically, and store in Reloads from Mad Heaters)?

TIA for any input!

This is the one I got, for reference:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
I bought a mason jar vacuum sealer off an Amazon deal for $20-25 thinking it would help preserve the flower longer, but I keep questioning myself on this... does anyone have experience with doing this? I've read that it can preserve the cure quality and potency for up to 2-3 years, but I am not understanding how creating a vacuum around the trichromes would not damage them or pull moisture out toward the surface and affect the cure.

Is it better to pump out as much air as possible or only some and have a partial vacuum?

Is there any point to having Boost packs in the jars considering humidity doesn't really exist in a vacuum?

Does this help for jars you are currently consuming the contents of where you will be opening it multiple times a week for fresh grinds (I grind 2-3x per week, typically, and store in Reloads from Mad Heaters)?

TIA for any input!

All your questions and more are discussed in the EXISTING thread for this topic:
“The CORRECT way to store your bud?”

mcscruffy

All your questions and more are discussed in the EXISTING thread for this topic:
“The CORRECT way to store your bud?”

I saw some things discussed but not all my questions like the efficacy of Boost packs and the effect on moisture. My question isn't about the correct way to store bud, but more on the benefits and any possible risks of storing through vacuum sealed mason jars which I wasn't satisfied from the handful of responses I read in there the past week of searching.

I thought this was enough of a difference to warrant its own post to focus on the details of that specific form of storage. It's inefficient to leave it lumped in that general thread.

RustyOldNail

I saw some things discussed but not all my questions like the efficacy of Boost packs and the effect on moisture. My question isn't about the correct way to store bud, but more on the benefits and any possible risks of storing through vacuum sealed mason jars which I wasn't satisfied from the handful of responses I read in there the past week of searching.

I thought this was enough of a difference to warrant its own post to focus on the details of that specific form of storage. It's inefficient to leave it lumped in that general thread.

Unfortunately, the thread is hard to follow, but there was a lot of on/off discussion of Mason Jars, I don’t have time to search all my posts in that thread, but here is one. If you have a specific question, I’ll try to help, good luck!

FROM LINK AT BOTTOM:

“As part of my research on the handheld vacuum and ball jar attachment, I tried to get a definitive answer on:
ARE BOVIDA/BOOST packs totally UNNECESSARY if storing weed in a Ball Jar, that is under VACUUM?”

RustyOldNail,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
efficacy of Boost packs
I have a Boost pack in with a vacuum-sealed mason jar that will have sat for 2 years in March...I am going to test it then to see if any different to Boveda.
After burping/curing, I vac seal with Boveda and O2 scrubber satchels and cannot tell fresh cured from 12 months old...Vac sealer, O2 satchels and Boveda are cheap compared to a pound or 2.:2c:

mcscruffy

Unfortunately, the thread is hard to follow, but there was a lot of on/off discussion of Mason Jars, I don’t have time to search all my posts in that thread, but here is one. If you have a specific question, I’ll try to help, good luck!

FROM LINK AT BOTTOM:

“As part of my research on the handheld vacuum and ball jar attachment, I tried to get a definitive answer on:
ARE BOVIDA/BOOST packs totally UNNECESSARY if storing weed in a Ball Jar, that is under VACUUM?”

Thank you, I had actually missed that one!

Regarding humidity packs, I have done additional research and I think all these people are wrong because the assumption is based on a perfect vacuum. You're never going to get a perfect vacuum out of consumer grade jar sealers and as a vacuum is created it lowers the boiling point of water due to less surface pressure causing the water to evaporate into the vacuous space. An imperfect vacuum holds humidity, but what I haven't been able to figure out yet is whether there is a limit and what the relationship is to maximum RH vs vacuum level (let's say the $20 ones from amazon get it to an 85% vacuum for a reference... total guess).

This could explain why people say the bud is slightly brown and dryer when they open it again however many months down the line.

I am finding myself currently with no hygrometer so I will need to pick one up where I can test and see how the RH inside the jar is affected as the vacuum pump starts doing its thing.

I also read that the surface pressure from the vacuum process can damage the trichromes, but I do not know to what extent. I imagine a vacuum causes other things to happen that are more subtle to the observer, but that's just speculative from me at this point.

mcscruffy,
Reactions: Photonic

RustyOldNail

I am finding myself currently with no hygrometer so I will need to pick one up where I can test and see how the RH inside the jar is affected as the vacuum pump starts doing its thing.

A bit of what I wrote on the following page of the thread I linked:

“The internal humidity after this vacuum seal, is usually between 7-9% loss. This backs up the research I’ve done online that both air and humidity are sucked out under vacuum. But with a Boveda pack in the jar, the humidity slowly returns to about 62% and stays there. I assume that indicates the vacuum is certainly not able to get all the air out, and thus the Boveda packs are still able to do the job. The vacuum should allow the packs to last much longer, as no new air is able to get in, after vacuum, it’s hard to pry the Ball jar lids off, they seal extremely well.”

POST LINK:

I look forward to your test results! Good luck.

mcscruffy

A bit of what I wrote on the following page of the thread I linked:

“The internal humidity after this vacuum seal, is usually between 7-9% loss. This backs up the research I’ve done online that both air and humidity are sucked out under vacuum. But with a Boveda pack in the jar, the humidity slowly returns to about 62% and stays there. I assume that indicates the vacuum is certainly not able to get all the air out, and thus the Boveda packs are still able to do the job. The vacuum should allow the packs to last much longer, as no new air is able to get in, after vacuum, it’s hard to pry the Ball jar lids off, they seal extremely well.”

POST LINK:

I look forward to your test results! Good luck.
Only a 7-9% loss is incredible and lends to the idea there is benefit to the Boost/Boveda packs, interesting! I tested on a jar before I vac sealed one with flower and it was definitely a hefty seal that required elbow grease to get off. I have a few grams sealed without a humidity pack to start and will compare in a couple weeks to the regular jarred Outer Limits to see if there's a difference in moisture short term due to evaporation in the partial vacuum.

I have a Boost pack in with a vacuum-sealed mason jar that will have sat for 2 years in March...I am going to test it then to see if any different to Boveda.
After burping/curing, I vac seal with Boveda and O2 scrubber satchels and cannot tell fresh cured from 12 months old...Vac sealer, O2 satchels and Boveda are cheap compared to a pound or 2.:2c:

Very curious to hear how that turns out when you pop it! I am not in a situation where I can grow and like to seek out the more rare strains, so I buy a lot more than I need and if I could figure out a way to extend the life like that and maximize preservation I'm going to feel much less wasteful.

• Consume fresh as possible
  • Storage in airtight container at lower temperatures 68F and stable humidity 60%RH.
  • Humidity packs should not be touching material.
  • Avoid direct contact with light
  • Oxidation: minimize exposure to oxygen (product quantity vs. container air space.)

Letaps Stash,
Reactions: cosimo

mcscruffy

If the reason for vacuum sealing is to minimize oxygen damage to the flower, perhaps one should use oxygen absorbers to reduce oxygen damage for long-term storage in Mason jars.
I'm still reading about it but I'm not as concerned about oxygen damage, but moisture levels throughout. From what I understand, when the vacuum is created, the moisture at the surface of the plant boils and evaporates away due to the decreased pressure. This stops at the surface level, though, because in a vacuum there is little to no air movement, so the only moisture that vaporizers just to create equilibrium on the plant's surface. This explains why after X number of months the outside appears dry, but upon grinding the moisture is unlocked based on community input.

You're not the first person to mention oxygen eaters, though, so maybe I try one with and one without. What sucks is to properly test takes time, but it did look like some others who have commented on here have done some testing of their own already.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I'm still reading about it but I'm not as concerned about oxygen damage, but moisture levels throughout. From what I understand, when the vacuum is created, the moisture at the surface of the plant boils and evaporates away due to the decreased pressure. This stops at the surface level, though, because in a vacuum there is little to no air movement, so the only moisture that vaporizers just to create equilibrium on the plant's surface. This explains why after X number of months the outside appears dry, but upon grinding the moisture is unlocked based on community input.

You're not the first person to mention oxygen eaters, though, so maybe I try one with and one without. What sucks is to properly test takes time, but it did look like some others who have commented on here have done some testing of their own already.
I had a phrase where I bought the vacuum lids and a hand pump, O2 scrubbers, 58% vs 62% Bovedas. I'm sure they all have some benefit. I got tired of dealing with all of it.

Now I just use 62% Bovedas or Boosts in a plain lid mason jar and call it good. I don't think I can tell a difference.

When I buy my buds, I like to let them sit in my jars for a couple weeks so they acclimate to my preferred humidity.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I use Boveda packs as well as oxygen eaters for long term storage. The oxygen absorbers actually create negative pressure in the jar.
I don't usually bother with the oxygen eaters if I don't expect to store for more than several months.

RustyOldNail

Now I just use 62% Bovedas or Boosts in a plain lid mason jar and call it good. I don't think I can tell a difference.

Nothing wrong with that approach. My larger stashes are in CVaults, with Bovida 62% packs, or glass mason jars.
The Vacuum discussion is more directed for LONG TERM storage, or just a scientific discussion on what we may perceive as the BEST way….

I do vacuum seal my NEW - UNUSED Bovida packs in a mason jar, so they last….. :)

BabyFacedFinster

I do vacuum seal my NEW - UNUSED Bovida packs in a mason jar, so they last….. :)

I noticed that Bovedas all come in one plastic sleeve. Once you open it, you expose the others to the air. Makes sense to vacuum seal them. I've had Bovedas get crunchy just sitting in the plastic sleeve unused.
The Boost packs all come individually wrapped in plastic. Which seems like a much better idea. Well, better for the consumer that is.

RustyOldNail

The Boost packs all come individually wrapped in plastic.

The problem I have with Boost packs, they NEVER get HARD! So you have no physical clue when they are exhausted and ready to be tossed, or swapped. Granted, I use wireless humidity monitors, but when a Bovida pack is finished, it’s hard & crunchy, and NO while I’ve tried adding moisture to old packs, it wasn’t worth the trouble….

BabyFacedFinster

The problem I have with Boost packs, they NEVER get HARD! So you have no physical clue when they are exhausted and ready to be tossed, or swapped. Granted, I use wireless humidity monitors, but when a Bovida pack is finished, it’s hard & crunchy, and NO while I’ve tried adding moisture to old packs, it wasn’t worth the trouble….
Ha. I didn't know they don't get crunchy. I just started using them recently. Each packet comes with a little cardboard indicator that with change color when the packet is no longer effective. I thought it was just extra protection.

I guess the best thing would be to drop a mini hygrometer in each jar. But there goes my overkill again.

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,

RustyOldNail

Ha. I didn't know they don't get crunchy. I just started using them recently. Each packet comes with a little cardboard indicator that with change color when the packet is no longer effective. I thought it was just extra protection.

I guess the best thing would be to drop a mini hygrometer in each jar. But there goes my overkill again.

The few times I received some free boost packs, there was NO chart card included.

The wireless humidity gauges I use are Govee, there are tons more from China now….

EDIT: just looked at your Amazon link…. I started with those a long time ago. Bottom line, just about all of the CHEAP Chinese “direct read”, NOT WIRELESS BLUETOOTH…. SUCK!
Cheap included batteries die quickly, hard to find, very few of them are accurate or have a close reading to any of the others.

I threw them all in the garbage, so proceed at your own risk, but certainly don’t rely on them to tell you the humidity. And YES, I have bought and compared $30.00-$45.00 humidity monitors that Cigar websites recommended. While more accurate then those CHEAP multi-pack ones, using the Bluetooth ones with an app., that I can set high/low humidity alerts for, is much more convenient with jars in storage. And the easy to find and replace batteries are so far lasting long, and you can calibrate them too. I believe I’ve mentioned this in previous posts if anyone wants to learn more…

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
while I’ve tried adding moisture to old packs, it wasn’t worth the trouble….
Just leave them out on a bench when the RH of your dwelling is above 64% and they rehydrate themselves, no input is needed.
NOT WIRELESS BLUETOOTH…. SUCK!
All my $2 jobs read within 1 or 2 degrees and RH usually closer. I check them against all my Linkbird and AC Infinity meters, they only play up when their batteries get low and the rectangle version @BabyFacedFinster linked above use 2x batteries whereas the round ones only use one battery and therefore does not last as long and starts acting up sooner.:2c:

RustyOldNail

Just leave them out on a bench when the RH of your dwelling is above 64% and they rehydrate themselves, no input is needed.

When the humidity gets that high, I turn on my air conditioner. Winter months the humidity is often less then 25%!

All my $2 jobs read within 1 or 2 degrees and RH usually closer

Guess you had better luck…. I’ll stick with my inexpensive wireless Bluetooth humidity monitors. I’ve tested and calibrated them with the Bovida calibration kit.

Just keep in mind whatever monitors you use, they all fall out of accuracy over time. The ones I use at least allow for RECALIBRATION,

Oh, wanted to add, the TEMPERATURE readout of most of my various monitors is always pretty accurate, yes even the cheap ones you describe, but when you get to RH HUMIDITY, that’s when the INACCURACY becomes evident.

Forgot to mention, since I also use some small containers, the size of the monitor is important to me. The cheap ones are almost 2” long. The Bluetooth ones are the smallest I’ve found.

Last edited:

LesPlenty

Company Rep
less then 25%!
Crikey!...that would make drying before curing a challenge!
You can also just put the Bovedas in an airtight container with a small jar of water sitting in that container with them.
All my Inkbird meters (4 of) are wi-fi. The AC Infinity grow room controller is Bluetooth and a pain compared to wi-fi.
Inkbird IBS-TH3 wi-fi, (also able to be calibrated) about US$20 so too expensive for all my mason jars,

RustyOldNail

I have about (8) Bluetooth ones, the Govee app tells me the RH at a glance, and can send me notifications if the humidity is higher or lower then the values I’ve set in the app. Some of the monitors are in SS CVaults, but still transmit to my iPad via Bluetooth. Granted the range might not be great, but I’m obviously close enough at about 20feet through a wooden cabinet and SS container. I didn’t need the NETWORK versions, which are more expensive.

BabyFacedFinster

My thought is I'll put those small hygrometers in a small mason jar with a new 62% pack. I'll give it a good week, and any that are way off from 62% will go in the round file or get returned.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: LesPlenty

RustyOldNail

My thought is I'll put those small hygrometers in a small mason jar with a new 62% pack. I'll give it a good week, and any that are way off from 62% will go in the round file or get returned.

Hopefully you will have better luck, especially with the crappy batteries included with most Chinese products these days. I did a similar test at first but found they drifted too quickly, meaning the readouts were never accurate. Wasn’t a lot of money to play with, though my wasted time might be worth something….

Since most of my containers are stored in a cabinet, and the CVaults are stainless steel, I would have to open them to check the RH, in thus change the humidity. I then bought glass CannaStore containers so I could try and position the RH monitors, in a way to SEE the RH without opening them. A year later I learned of the Bluetooth monitors, they are cheap enough with larger, longer lasting, and easier to find button batteries, and haven’t looked back. You can manually calibrate them after doing a RH test.

So good luck, I’ve been down this road and have chosen the best path for me.

Top Bottom