Underdog Log Vapes

Im just saying that the UD is very light in density; and I would be worried about the perfection of the wood. .
I was just saying, Dave I now understand why after all that time you hate to leave your units on 25/7. I am not saying it isn't possible, but I think I am siding with Dave on this one that the wood truly is a work of art, and I don't want to crack the wood by fucking up with my voltage adjuster.

biojuggernaut,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Definitely don't fuck it up, but from the instructions I remember I think up to 14v is safe even though I'd never go that high.

darkrom,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
So Dave and I decided to trade devices. He sent me a Myrtle wood log as I prefer a device with no glue joints. I hope it will be capable of 24/7 operation. I really like that feature in this style of vaporizer because we all forget at times. The Myrtle wood has amazing figuring and depth. Such a nice art piece.
I am used to only smelling warm sweet beeswax with my TT, so the smell of hot leather wasn't my style. I removed the leather (sorry Dave) and the taste of leather went away. I rubbed in some of my beeswax Bee'ds into the hot wood and it smells more like I'm used to. Just my preference.
Well, I immediately modified the stem. I cut the tubing shorter and pushed in one of my 10mm thin glass tubes until it stopped at the screen. Now only glass is touched by the vapor and your lips. I have to say the large screen area, volume, and seal of the silicone tube make it the best roasting system I have ever used. The hits are always tasty and the airflow is unreal for this style of vaporizer. I just never leave the silicone tubing attached to the heat sink tube. The smell of hot silicone is not pleasant to me. I just seal at the end of the tubing. Keeps the silicone from getting too hot between hits.
I also found that I get excellent hits from my Toasty Top with this same silicone tube setup. I just seal it on the end of the heat sink tube and draw through the hot air. I think the air flow is not quite as free flowing as the UnderDog, but the taste is just a bit more pure as biojuggernaut had described. I don't see any reason why this tubing arrangement wouldn't work for the Rock Zap too.
The smaller piece of silicone on the glass tube is so that it fits into a 14mm joint. The larger silicone sits securely on the top of the joint and the smaller silicone provides the seal.
I still need to make something for Dave and will be sure to include some of these U-Tubes for him to try.
Will probably be alternating between my UD and my TT now. Using my new U-Tube of course.
Thanks for making such a fine vaporizer Dave. The silicone roasting tube really makes a difference. Let's see where this takes us.

utube.jpg

Alan,
Awh Alan this is what you meant. Very innovative, this will def be my new configuration as well so I can free up those tapered glass joints for my top again. :D

biojuggernaut,

los

utube.jpg

I definitely want something like this!

as far as the units, i mean i only have a bday vape so far but im going to treat it as i would any other vape. it has to stand up to the abuse of everyday use, that is a must which it has done admirably so far. ive even left it on for 24+ hrs, all was good.

los,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I do have one complaint about the UnderDogs tubes. It takes too many hits to finish one. Even with a small amount, you just keep getting hits. It is crazy. It seems to work best not to stir at all. Just a light tap on the side while holding the tube vertical gives it all the shaking it needs. Too much stirring will affect the airflow.

Alan,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
TV said:
I do have one complaint about the UnderDogs tubes. It takes too many hits to finish one. Even with a small amount, you just keep getting hits. It is crazy. It seems to work best not to stir at all. Just a light tap on the side while holding the tube vertical gives it all the shaking it needs. Too much stirring will affect the airflow.

Man that sucks, I could try to make a less efficient piece for you if you want.. I'm sure I could figure out a way somehow. :p

underdog,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have been trying to count the number of hits I'm getting from a load, but always loose track. I'm not sure it is possible to count them. Has any Dog owner had luck counting the number of hits you get from a tube?

Alan,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
i am getting 5 x dense foggy bongfulls (bong is 40 cm about 500 ml :) out of a 0.05 ... I also thought the extraction is a bit slow... but i ended up in accepting it as better and more efficient cuz i was getting 3 times more smashed with tiny loads than any other vape i tried....

Abysmal Vapor,
I would say I am too somehwere in that area. It is hard to judge since my screens are at different places.

biojuggernaut,

darkrom

Great Scott!
5 lung busting hits, 1 good hit after that then 1 weak hit at the end. I had no interest in more weak hits, but I feel like I could have easily gotten them.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey everyone, I need your attention here for a bit... make way for some serious vape business.

Alan from Toasty Top and I recently decided to exchange pieces and I sent him an UD piece. He made some modifications and was pretty happy with it as was posted here earlier but today it died on him, not sure how yet but not really the point of this post anyways.

Being the inventor he is he took it fully apart and discovered some things about our assembly that concerned him and so he emailed me about them, after some discussion I decided that it would be best if I posted those concerns here for everyone to think about and just for the sake of full disclosure.

Alan's concerns were that in my older cores, including quite a few in the catalog and the piece he got I have a high-temp silicone insulated wire in the air path, in contact with the heating element. This is something we no longer do and I don't believe there are any health concerns with it but since those pieces are still out there and in use needs to be said. Here is a picture illustrating this situation:
Core1-Silicone-in-AP.jpg

His second concern is my usage of high-temp silicone on the bottom of the core to hold the assembly firmly in place. This silicone is separated from the air path by a thick glass bead. We still use this technique on our current cores and I see no reason that we shouldn't but again want to be in full disclosure about our design. Here is an example of this:
Core3-Silicone-bottom.jpg

Our newest design no longer has the silicone wires in the air path, only the resistor leads with no lead and the glass bead at the bottom. We do use the silicone adhesive to hold the bead and assembly to the outside of the core. We have also stopped using glue to hold the cores in the body but so far we have only made several of that type. This is an example of our newest design air path:
Core2-NoSilicone-in-AP.jpg

So, again, there are the facts and a better description and explanation of how we assemble the cores. We will be continuing to modify and improve the design, eliminating the glue and silicone in the air path was the first steps. We may or may not remove the silicone from the bottom of the design. We hope to alter the design to enable UD pieces to be left on 24/7 in our next phase of change and as always are interested in your feedback and suggestions for improvement.

Thanks!
UD

Last edited by a moderator:
underdog,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
Thanks for showing us your heater design Dave. Your transparency is commendable. Too bad we can't get our nations leaders to do the same.

I have already modified your heat sink design and reassembled it with one of my thread in heating elements from the bottom. It is a Toasty Dog or maybe an Under Tower. Either way it is putting me under and works better than before. It's a frankenvape. It is Top Dog. I'm really enjoying it, that's for sure.
It will be on 24/7.

Alan,

los

its a beautiful thing to see the two great minds come together! after all we are the ones that benefit from it :D

btw i would love to own a ToastyDog :brow:

los,
:clap: This should happen more often, just imagine the evolution of the the log vape if Tom and Rick had put their minds together years ago.

biojuggernaut,

underdog

Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
:clap: This should happen more often, just imagine the evolution of the the log vape if Tom and Rick had put their minds together years ago.

I'd buy a PurpleZap... :cool:

Alan is a great guy to work with and you guys are great customers to work for. :peace:

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
TV said:
Thanks for showing us your heater design Dave. Your transparency is commendable. Too bad we can't get our nations leaders to do the same.

I have already modified your heat sink design and reassembled it with one of my thread in heating elements from the bottom. It is a Toasty Dog or maybe an Under Tower. Either way it is putting me under and works better than before. It's a frankenvape. It is Top Dog. I'm really enjoying it, that's for sure.
It will be on 24/7.

TopDog.. that's great! I think we have a winner...

underdog,
Yeah, the collaboration between vape manufacturers is very encouraging, and it's cool as well just to see two artisans swap their notes. I'd be -VERY- interested in an all glass vapor tube like Alan has concocted.

I pack my tubes relatively light, say one almost level Lotus scoop. This yields 3-6 commendable hits.

Dave, which construction method was used for the B-day vapes? Silicone wire inside or not? Just curious. I find my UD to be a very pure-tasting vape.

charliedontsurf,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Dave is there any way to "retrofit" the future 24/7 cores into old dogs? I'd be interested in a new core in my Jester if I could pay to upgrade.

I should be ready this week to order a custom twig. We can chat about the custom aspect of it. I'd definitely not mind waiting to get the new style 24/7 cores.

Thanks!

darkrom,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
placetime said:
nice collaborating gentlemen! :clap:

:cheers:

I also second this, you guys are what makes this biz fun and exciting for you all and us as customers!!! Good luck to you both!

Ed's TnT,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
So I haven't posted in this thread yet...but now I know my dog is in the mail...I'm very excited! :cool:

FLskwat,
Top Bottom