Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Having more success with the nylon stem, at times though it could possibly be getting clogged? How can I clean the screens etc when this seems to happen (not able to get any hit). I have found with this nylon stem a very long slow hit does the best but I can still feel the heat getting to the mouthpiece so I have to slow down the draw even more. The weed appears I think how it should after being vaped and often I have trouble using the nylon stem for a 2nd hit because the weed is all but incapable of vaping. So far this is the only way I have achieved semi decent vape hits by just gently dropping grinder bud into the nylon steel stem then putting to vape fully waiting 7 seconds then slowly inhaling at slow pace, at times mouthpiece can't get too hot. I do still end up with visible vapor and possibly smoke as appears chatting while rest is mild brownish orange color

If you blow out the stem as soon as you're done hitting it (while it's hot) the screen will stay almost completely clear and clean for a long time. Doing this I only need to replace or clean screens every few months. If you let it cool in the stem it all sticks there but you can hit it again to get it hot again and then blow it out. If for some reason you're unable to do that you can push it out with a long thin dowel (or similar tool) and soak it in ISO.

Re: heat on the mouth - well you're breathing in super heated vapor (this is the point right?) so yes there's going to be heat unless you run it thru a water piece or something.

RE: 2nd hit on the Nylon Stem - this stem is made to be a 1 hitter so it's no surprise you aren't getting much of a 2nd hit since the material is vaped out at that point. Also leaving a stem on the vape for 7 seconds is excessive and unnecessary. The glass stems are ok to do this for a few seconds but you shouldn't do this with the Nylon Stems. Lastly, the slower you inhale the hotter the vapor is going to become, just a quick FYI. :2c:

djchexxx

Having more success with the nylon stem, at times though it could possibly be getting clogged? How can I clean the screens etc when this seems to happen (not able to get any hit). I have found with this nylon stem a very long slow hit does the best but I can still feel the heat getting to the mouthpiece so I have to slow down the draw even more. The weed appears I think how it should after being vaped and often I have trouble using the nylon stem for a 2nd hit because the weed is all but incapable of vaping. So far this is the only way I have achieved semi decent vape hits by just gently dropping grinder bud into the nylon steel stem then putting to vape fully waiting 7 seconds then slowly inhaling at slow pace, at times mouthpiece can't get too hot. I do still end up with visible vapor and possibly smoke as appears chatting while rest is mild brownish orange color

The nylon stem is more of like a one hitter. Most cant get a second hit from it.

In regards to cleaning, after hitting it and knowing the bud isn't vapable anymore you just blow out the vaped bud in a container or the muslin bag that came with the UD. You can pbbly use a ziploc bag as well. If the bud doesnt want to come out take a dry hit, then blow it out as soon as you can.

light brown/ dark brown is the color you're looking for when vaping. To me the already vaped bud smells like coffee.

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
In the interest of full disclosure I should admit they gave me just under 14 inches when I ordered 12.

Hehe, yeah, it was the end of that piece, so instead of cutting 12" and having 2" left over, I figured you wouldn't mind a little extra. :)

Mine did & I am forever grateful I used a pen to mark where the screens should be like @GTAVaper has suggested. I do like the idea of a higher quality dowel to use though so may seek something nicer.

We usually include a wooden dowel (usually poplar wood) with formed screen packs.

Last edited:

GTAVaper

Yes.....I have gotten two dowels with my original order (one for SS tips and the other for 14mm glass) and then when I ordered my oversized nong's I got another for the larger sized SS tip.

The Mighty brush is also the same diameter as the larger dowel if you have one of these sitting around.

After using the oversized Nong's, although I do like them, I don't believe that they perform any better than the glass gong's. However, they are compact and indestructible and also don't heat up anywhere near as hot as a short gong.

If you take your dogs for walks or are in party mode with others playing with your dog in an inebriated state they would be awesome.......instead of having to deal with broken glass and potentially bloody feet or fingers.

It is the regular SS tips that really shine in achieving dense hits. Most call them one-hitters but I get a good two rips through a bubbler until the vapour thins and ends on the second one. The key thing with the smaller diameter SS tips is to keep them clear and freeflowing......or they will be too hard to pull through water comfortably.

I don't think anything is going to match the performance of the regular SS tip because these actually have your herb encased in steel and situated as close to the heater screen as possible. So hotter convective heating plus the additional conductive heating through the surrounding steel heater port.

I would see these OS nongs replacing or being used as alternative to the shorty gong's .......in which case I would say that they would be preferable due to the indestructibility of the nongs......especially if you using outdoors or over hard surfaces

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
RE: 2nd hit on the Nylon Stem - this stem is made to be a 1 hitter so it's no surprise you aren't getting much of a 2nd hit since the material is vaped out at that point. Also leaving a stem on the vape for 7 seconds is excessive and unnecessary. The glass stems are ok to do this for a few seconds but you shouldn't do this with the Nylon Stems. Lastly, the slower you inhale the hotter the vapor is going to become, just a quick FYI. :2c:

For those of us that aren't using a direct draw NonG/aren't having issues with hot vapor, is there any reason not to leave the stem on for longer? I'll just admit I've been leaving it to heat soak for ~30 seconds regularly. I'd step away for a bit (I have a one room dwelling), until I smelled that food-like conduction smell then come hit it. I notice that if I leave it on for 3 seconds, instead of 30, it is definitely less lung busting and has a cleaner flavor profile.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, and on the topic of # of hits. I left a NonG on accidently after hitting it, came back ~30 minutes later, and hit it again, getting a wispy but noteworthy high temp second hit. I was verrrry close to combustion here but didn't burn. I guess my main question is, how is the heat safety of those stems. None of mine are visibly deformed in any way, though the nylon definitely got warm when I left the stem on for 5 minutes.

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
If you blow out the stem as soon as you're done hitting it (while it's hot) the screen will stay almost completely clear and clean for a long time.
I must add, if this technique is used, blow through the stem out the window, otherwise after a couple of sessions your house will wreak of you know what. Keep in mind The stuff you blows out goes somewhere. I use a brush and turn it in the stem and 'sweep' it into my ABV jar.

:peace:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
@Madcap79 How do you go about it without getting ABV everywhere?
I'll take a pic. Give me a bit. I even use a shorty jar. I image it works just as well as a bigger one.

Sorry for the shitty pic @KnotKnox
Hopefully you get the idea. Haha.

2rfzew5.jpg

Last edited:

Spocks_Katra

Hi I just have a quick question.

Do the shorty dogs have the same warranty and lifespan as the normal size dogs?

Also, would someone be able to give me an opinion on air core vs standard for someone who likes to normally vape around 400. I would consider that on a little bit on the side of higher temps but others may not. (use for pain management)

Been looking at this thread for a while and I am liking what im reading!

Thanks!

ragnorak71

Also, would someone be able to give me an opinion on air core vs standard for someone who likes to normally vape around 400. I would consider that on a little bit on the side of higher temps but others may not. (use for pain management)

Thanks!

the shorty dogs are the minis? if so then i understand they dont enjoy the same rights as a full blown doggy, they are more....disposable i think

as to core i think the guys are pretty much only doing air cores - i really cannot remember anyone calling these things too cool - bear in mind you could consistently combust here if wanted. very dry, very fine and packed too tight means a mouthful of something unpleasant

hth

Verax

So, I knocked over a glass stem last night with ABV material being scattered all over my desk. (again!) Decided that I would find a solution for that. Went over to my little shop and made this last night. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out for a V1 version. :)
MGWWii7.jpg

underdog

Manufacturer

Thanks!

The Shorties do have the same warranty as regular Dogs, 2 years on the Dogs themselves and 90 days on the power supply and extension cord. They (the Shorties) may have a slightly reduced lifespan as compared to a full size Dog because of the increased heat exposure the plug and wiring have to deal with. Mini's (the specialty items) don't have a warranty but I don't think you were asking about those correct?

As far as Air vs Standard Cores I'd say the Standard will have a slightly longer lifespan at higher temps.

All of the above also depends on the wood used, etc. :tup:

So, I knocked over a glass stem last night with ABV material being scattered all over my desk. (again!) Decided that I would find a solution for that. Went over to my little shop and made this last night. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out for a V1 version. :)
MGWWii7.jpg

Nice, looks like that'll get the job done! :clap:

underdog

Manufacturer
For those of us that aren't using a direct draw NonG/aren't having issues with hot vapor, is there any reason not to leave the stem on for longer? I'll just admit I've been leaving it to heat soak for ~30 seconds regularly. I'd step away for a bit (I have a one room dwelling), until I smelled that food-like conduction smell then come hit it. I notice that if I leave it on for 3 seconds, instead of 30, it is definitely less lung busting and has a cleaner flavor profile.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, and on the topic of # of hits. I left a NonG on accidently after hitting it, came back ~30 minutes later, and hit it again, getting a wispy but noteworthy high temp second hit. I was verrrry close to combustion here but didn't burn. I guess my main question is, how is the heat safety of those stems. None of mine are visibly deformed in any way, though the nylon definitely got warm when I left the stem on for 5 minutes.

@Sand I've left my 18mm NonG in for hours at a time... more than once. I won't be doing that anymore of course, but my stem never deformed or broke and is as study as the day I bought it.

There isn't something wildly wrong with leaving a stem on for a short bit, we just advise against it out of an abundance of caution but as you noticed they can handle being on there for quite a while. We try and make things as simple and durable as possible for you guys and I think the various Nylon stems accomplish that well. :2c: :cool:

little maggie

Sorry but I'm getting quite frustrated with this dog. It's the air core dog and I have the oring at the mark on the heating stem. I try the small bowls the medium bowls and originally was trying very large bowls. None have I been able to use truly. Most of the time the glass stem is burning my mouth and I'm getting no vape. Other times I get vape but such a little amount it's not noticeable. I have grounded all my weed upside down to the finest degree and loaded the bowls small but still no dice. The last hit burnt my lip and the weed didn't even burn, I swear it could have been the screen burning, cuz I almost felt a hit but no vape cloud. I guess I'll keep trying until I maybe find a way to use it indefinitely or give up after so many tried and roll Js again

I will say the small (very small) hits I did notice were quite good and gave me a good high and it seemed like to me gets you a lot higher then even some big joints, I just wish I could take not just 1 hit though and a good 1 at that. Still unable to achieve that.
Still wondering if you can post a picture even though you're doing ok with the one shot stem. I've had mine for several years and if anyone can screw up using a vape it's me. I think most of us who have UDs find you're experience of having the glass burn your lips without your herb betting heated confusing.

Commander Cody

Here are pictures (I hope) of the new style black battery pack next to the older style that many dog owners have used. The new unit is slightly narrower and a little taller. The new battery pack is not slick plastic, but rather has kind of a rubberized exterior. The units function almost exactly alike using the one button next to the display. Both unit can output 5-13 volts and you can step up in intervals of .5 volts. I am glad I was familiar with the older style as the new one came only with directions in Chinese. The displays are a little different. When in use the output voltage was displayed on old model. New model only has the decimal point flash when you have the unit in use. Just press the button and it will display...output voltage, then amps, then % of battery used.
Biggest difference is the new power pack takes 5 batteries vs 4 in the old style. This would indicate a 20% increase in use time. The other feature is a flashlight built in. Press the button two times quickly to turn the flashlight on and off. Take that dog for a walk!
Well, damn! No picture. Gonna try to get picture posted later.

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
By virtue of my own experiments & absorbing the contents of this thread I feel I am really starting to get the most out of my UD :D. Before I was drawing up my weed & then tamping & topping up, now I draw it up letting it fill the basket or 3/4 of the S/S tip. That way I tend to get 2 good rips out of the glass or one good one out of the S/S.

I really need to order a spare 18mm NonG as half of my glass is 18mm but I already have one & a O/S 18mm NonG. A true 1st world problem as it is concerning just how durable the NonG's are. It would take a deliberate effort to break one & even then good fucking luck.

I have owned my UD for a month now & it has been fulfilling enough to keep my EQ cleaned & in the cupboard.

Top Bottom