Underdog Log Vapes

CurryLeafTreehugger

The glass gets way too hot and I am not getting very big hits hardly getting high. I've tried twisting I try to pull oon the stem hard, slow. idk I can't seem to get it to work.

That's odd. My glass never gets that hot except at the end that's inserted in the UD. Its cool by the time the vape gets to me. Maybe try it through a bong? Or bong-like thingy, LOL!

BTW I don't really get high either. I can't figure it out. But actually lighting things on fire didn't help so I doubt it has much to do with the vaping.

I'm starting to think maybe I should draw faster. Or hurry up with the VVPS and turn down the voltage maybe.

Last edited:
CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
The glass gets way too hot and I am not getting very big hits hardly getting high. I've tried twisting I try to pull oon the stem hard, slow. idk I can't seem to get it to work.

Like Madcap asked can you post a picture of how you're loading your stem, etc? This is really simple tech, you just load a small amount of material into your stem, stick it and the vape together and then breath in. Once done separate the stem and vape, blow the stem out if you're done with that load. It's really that simple. The glass stem should not get hot other than at the very end where it's touching the vape core unless you're leaving it on the vape or something unintended. :shrug:

That's odd. My glass never gets that hot except at the end that's inserted in the UD. Its cool by the time the vape gets to me. Maybe try it through a bong? Or bong-like thingy, LOL!

BTW I don't really get high either. I can't figure it out. But actually lighting things on fire didn't help so I doubt it has much to do with the vaping.

I'm starting to think maybe I should draw faster. Or hurry up with the VVPS and turn down the voltage maybe.

If you're not getting much in the way of effects (or vapor) then the first recommendation is trying a different strain. If you've tried smoking it and still aren't getting a good result it's likely not vape related at all and might well just be a very weak strain.

Last edited:

Commander Cody

The pokin' stick I got with my dog to adjust the screens is just a little too short for some of my stems so I decided to take a trip to Lowes. Matched up the size with a 5/16 inch dowel. Was just about to pick one up and noticed one of the bins had dowels made of oak. Was fun to pick one out with a cool pattern in the grain. $1.04 for a 30 inch dowel. I will have several new luxurious pokin' sticks now in any size I want. Go ahead...treat yourself.

KnotKnox

The pokin' stick I got with my dog to adjust the screens is just a little too short for some of my stems so I decided to take a trip to Lowes. Matched up the size with a 5/16 inch dowel. Was just about to pick one up and noticed one of the bins had dowels made of oak. Was fun to pick one out with a cool pattern in the grain. $1.04 for a 30 inch dowel. I will have several new luxurious pokin' sticks now in any size I want. Go ahead...treat yourself.
I've had great success with barbecue skewers.

KiefVape

Well I wish it was that easy but I have used nearly an eight already trying to use this thing. I'll try it again right now and send a pic of the bowl. Apparently I just load (suck in weed), put on vape to o ring then inhale? How long should the hit take? A lot were saying twist and all different methods, but none seems to work well for me. I'll try again then let u know.

Here is the packed stem.
http://imgur.com/0cn1zFp

Last edited:
KiefVape,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Well I wish it was that easy but I have used nearly an eight already trying to use this thing. I'll try it again right now and send a pic of the bowl. Apparently I just load (suck in weed), put on vape to o ring then inhale? How long should the hit take? A lot were saying twist and all different methods, but none seems to work well for me. I'll try again then let u know.
Do you only have glass stems or do you have a nylon with a SS tip?

KnotKnox

Here is the packed stem.
Are you stirring between hits?

KnotKnox,

KiefVape

I got a small hit again but the weed nearest to the vape was more charred again almost black and the weed below was mostly brown but with small amounts of green. I assume it's working but possibly not burning through the whole bowl it seems to just burn the top, should a big deep breath or twist help? The hit I took wasn't very much considering how large that bowl was with weed taken in the pic and was only 1 hit from the vape.
I'm starting to think now since it's a vaporizer air flow is a necessity. And these bowls are so small the air flow can't reach the bottom or middle buds so easily. So it sort of chars the top and slightly vapes below until it has hardly any air nearest the screen. I could most definitely be wrong but it's a possibility. Maybe I'll try the method he said of stirring maybe during the hit and after. I could also try sucking on the stem stronger to pull more air through I have been trying mostly smaller longer hits.

I've got only the big and smaller glass draw stems and the GonG glass stem, the nylon one seemed a bit small and hot very hot after hitting so I have to stop hit idk

Last edited:
KiefVape,

KnotKnox

I got a small hit again but the weed nearest to the vape was more charred again almost black and the weed below was mostly brown but with small amounts of green. I assume it's working but possibly not burning through the whole bowl it seems to just burn the top, should a big deep breath or twist help? The hit I took wasn't very much considering how large that bowl was with weed taken in the pic and was only 1 hit from the vape.
It sounds like it's working normally. 1 - 2 hits from nylon stems, 3 - 4 hits from glass stems. Stir the bowl in between hits.

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
I'm starting to think now since it's a vaporizer air flow is a necessity. And these bowls are so small the air flow can't reach the bottom or middle buds so easily. So it sort of chars the top and slightly vapes below until it has hardly any air nearest the screen. I could most definitely be wrong but it's a possibility. Maybe I'll try the method he said of stirring maybe during the hit and after. I could also try sucking on the stem stronger to pull more air through I have been trying mostly smaller longer hits.

I've got only the big and smaller glass draw stems and the GonG glass stem, the nylon one seemed a bit small and hot very hot after hitting so I have to stop hit idk
If you are using a glass stem, only pack enough to be even with the basket. Packing big bowls won't help you.

HellsWindStaff

Dharma Initiate
I load like 3/4s of that amount....so still less but not as less..........I stir after every hit though, if you aren't stirring it will work way worse when you pack it with a lot. I also don't "stuff" that amount, its just lightly sucked up into the stem....after the first hit, I would say the volume of my load is about half the stem, maybe a bit less.

I can get a good 4-6 hits on this. 5,6 are waning and considerably less, I hit it til it stops so sometimes more hits just to eek a little out, but stirring is essential IMO when you load alot. .

I load about a third a stem when I want like 2 good strong hits and kick it, but I don't honestly do that all that often, when I want small snaps, I usually rock with the NylonG's....truly those get the most use out of anything

CurryLeafTreehugger

If you're not getting much in the way of effects (or vapor) then the first recommendation is trying a different strain. If you've tried smoking it and still aren't getting a good result it's likely not vape related at all and might well just be a very weak strain.

I've tried like 10 different strains. No joy, LOL! I don't think its the fault of the vape. I really have no clue what is going on. I've always been a notorious lightweight - on old fashioned skunk weed, LOL!

It could still be my technique. Things are MUCH better than with the Firefly - its not that there's NO effect, it does help me sleep and 2 or 3 times I HAVE managed to be giggly for a little while. Its just not nearly the effect I have been expecting (and hoping for).

I've had great success with barbecue skewers.

Too skinny! I keep my screens from folding up and collapsing by straightening them in the stem using 2 dowels. Flattening the top (for those who use the screens bottom up) helps to increase the number of uses you can get between having to remove and clean.

Here is the packed stem.

Only an eighth? I went through almost an OUNCE before I figured out the problem was the Firefly. The Econo-Dog was a big improvement. Now my Holiday Dog is even better. But I'm still not really getting it right somehow.

I agree, that is way too much. You really only need to put a small amount in there at once. I take all my stems and load them up and lay them out - I have 5 glass stems I use this way.

I stopped using the one that has ground glass on one end because I am not dextrous enough to get the screen in there flat top up - the ground glass end is too small and I can't put them in upside down, I have to put them in one end the "usual" way and then push it to the other end.

I was getting pretty good results with the nylon/steel stem, but the problem was I was charring it all the time because its right INSIDE the heating element. Maybe I can try that again once my VVPS arrives.

Last edited:

KiefVape

Did the video not just lightly wipe the top excess off? I assumed in the video that was a nice full bowl. I will try a very small one about this size of the screen right? Should I move the screen? I really want to know how much I should be putting in exactly

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Did the video not just lightly wipe the top excess off? I assumed in the video that was a nice full bowl. I will try a very small one about this size of the screen right? Should I move the screen? I really want to know how much I should be putting in exactly

It should be filled only to the level of the formed screen or a little above.. the screen is a bowl that's filled up.

The screen itself should be placed in the stem so that when it's loaded with the intended amount and connected to the vape that the herb and tip of the vape core don't touch. You want them to come close to touching but not touch. We install the screens to this approximate level but yours has definitely been moved down.

djchexxx

I've tried like 10 different strains. No joy, LOL! I don't think its the fault of the vape. I really have no clue what is going on. I've always been a notorious lightweight - on old fashioned skunk weed, LOL!

It could still be my technique. Things are MUCH better than with the Firefly - its not that there's NO effect, it does help me sleep and 2 or 3 times I HAVE managed to be giggly for a little while. Its just not nearly the effect I have been expecting (and hoping for).

Too skinny! I keep my screens from folding up and collapsing by straightening them in the stem using 2 dowels. Flattening the top (for those who use the screens bottom up) helps to increase the number of uses you can get between having to remove and clean.

Only an eighth? I went through almost an OUNCE before I figured out the problem was the Firefly. The Econo-Dog was a big improvement. Now my Holiday Dog is even better. But I'm still not really getting it right somehow.

I agree, that is way too much. You really only need to put a small amount in there at once. I take all my stems and load them up and lay them out - I have 5 glass stems I use this way.

I stopped using the one that has ground glass on one end because I am not dextrous enough to get the screen in there flat top up - the ground glass end is too small and I can't put them in upside down, I have to put them in one end the "usual" way and then push it to the other end.

I was getting pretty good results with the nylon/steel stem, but the problem was I was charring it all the time because its right INSIDE the heating element. Maybe I can try that again once my VVPS arrives.

I am also getting char w/ the nylon gong. I dont think you need a VVPS you can just use a dimmer if all you need to do is bring down the heat. Im experimenting with the dimmer but Im liking it around 3/4 of the way rather than full. I'll stay updated on where I dial in my preference.

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
Try your stainless tips as well, IMO, its a little easier to get set up, especially if you haven't fiddled with screen distance. Heres some pics of what I just got from a dirty (40+ uses), 18mm NonG (and 14 works just as well).

I overpacked this, so it's not as even as it usually is, but it's still enough that I wouldn't re-vape it but just save it as ABV for re-processing.

For me, even with no VVPS, this unit is getting 90-95% usually of the actives that can be taken as visible vapor for me in ONE hit with the stainless tip stems. I love it, stirring makes me feel like I'm wasting my life. I just want to rip, dump ABV, and move on. Neither Nano, nor firewood 3, work as well in this regard for me (at present).

wD1AQlI.jpg

(ignore mess off to sides, it's from another vape/session).
This is an uneven grind, over-packed (in air restriction and volume), and probably about as bad as efficiency gets, and about as bad as char gets (not that I mind at this time of night). When done "right" its more even medium to dark brown across the material, with just a few tips of material getting black. This is after about two weeks of messing with the SS tip stems. No VVPS, no dimmer, w/ extension cord (just to save the main power bricks wire). Tried with 3 strains, all similar results ABV wise, cloud wise is another story. On the topic of clouds, it's sort of counter intuitive, but less is more to a point: that point is when it starts restricting airflow.

I use the stem as a straw usually, and take about 1/2 of what I think I'll need, then as I continue to inhale, looking at the ceiling and flipping the stem up. As I'm doing this I'm checking air flow. Then I check visually to make sure not too much is higher than the lip of the SS tip. After this let it heat soak for 10-45 sec, then inhale through water piece at a "medium" rate.

I recently got a firewood 3, I'm still dialing in technique there, and I could not get ABV dark than this: (NOTE AGAIN: NOT UD ABV)

2X90Wp8.jpg

My nano is out with Andy so no shots of ABV right now. I barely use my glass stems for my UD because the 1-hit nature of the SS stems is so convenient for frequent medicating.

Peace, hope you get this worked out!

WeedyGirl1979

Less is more! :science:
Yup! I don't suck my weed into the stem anymore, I just pick up a couple of pinches and lightly place in the glass gong. I found that I was overpacking if I sucked it up (I have great lung capacity, lol). Now that I'm dialed in with the long gong and j-hook my only issue is actually getting stuff done when I'm home- just so easy to put some music on and pack another bowl instead of being productive. :) I think experimentation is the key- once you find your sweet spot you'll look back and and be like 'wow, what took me so long?' (might be just me, I tend to find convoluted solutions to easy problems)

GTAVaper

An easy way to determine the proper distance for the glass stem is to place one of your tamping dowels beside the heater core till it hits the bottom - whether it rests on an o-ring or the steel base if you don't have an o-ring. Mark dowel with a pen.

Then fill the basket screen and push down with the dowel until it is even with the mark.....this will ensure the end of the heater is right at the beginning of the herb.

Empty the herb by tapping out and then sit the dowel at the bottom of the basket and mark the dowel again with pen.

Now you have two marks that will help ensure your basket screen is at the right depth before filling and also that the filled basket is not overfilled and touching the heater.

If you aren't getting vapour at this point - it is a heat issue. You either need to slow your draw - whether it be by mouth or through a bubbler or jack the heat up with a VVPS.

The Nongs are easier to get good results because you also have conductive heating since the basket sleeves into the core itself which conducts heat through the stainless steel tip.....but also easier to combust with the SS tips for the exact same reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom