Underdog Log Vapes

Commander Cody

thanks for the info. Which VVPS is recommended to use?
I think the TekPower available on Amazon is a good solid place to start: http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-HY-1...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
It is around $40 and you will need a cord from UD to complete the hookup. The reviews on this product show 90% of buyers giving it 4 or 5 stars. This unit has its own power cord and plugs directly into a wall socket. There is a large knob for adjusting the voltage and a built in volt meter. The dial is pretty touchy and the voltage display only reads out to tenths. The unit is bigger than some other choices, but if you have a particular place at home where you do most of your vaping that should not be an issue.
A couple of FC members make smaller units that use your DC wall wart as the power supply (they do not come with a plug into the wall cord). The least expensive unit sold by Voltage Keeper is $100+shipping. There can be up to a 3 month wait time for yours to be built. You can buy a TekPower and also get a portable battery pack and batteries for that same $100.
A quick word about the buck and boost units like Underdog is carrying. These are great, BUT I feel their use is limited by the fact you have to get out a tiny screwdriver to change the voltage. They are perfect for setting to a particular voltage that you have found to be your "sweet spot". They are not IMO good for stepping up the voltage during a session because instead of simply turning a knob to step up your voltage, you would have to mess with a very little screw and screwdriver. These buck and boost units are definitely worth having as they are very small and portable. Great for car use as it will keep constant voltage whether the car is running or on accessories. I put a couple of them together for around $15 in parts for each. I would not recommend some of the cheeper tattoo type units. I bought one that puts out almost as much heat as the dog itself.

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
I think the TekPower available on Amazon is a good solid place to start: http://www.amazon.com/Tekpower-HY-1...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
It is around $40 and you will need a cord from UD to complete the hookup. The reviews on this product show 90% of buyers giving it 4 or 5 stars. This unit has its own power cord and plugs directly into a wall socket. There is a large knob for adjusting the voltage and a built in volt meter. The dial is pretty touchy and the voltage display only reads out to tenths. The unit is bigger than some other choices, but if you have a particular place at home where you do most of your vaping that should not be an issue.
A couple of FC members make smaller units that use your DC wall wart as the power supply (they do not come with a plug into the wall cord). The least expensive unit sold by Voltage Keeper is $100+shipping. There can be up to a 3 month wait time for yours to be built. You can buy a TekPower and also get a portable battery pack and batteries for that same $100.
A quick word about the buck and boost units like Underdog is carrying. These are great, BUT I feel their use is limited by the fact you have to get out a tiny screwdriver to change the voltage. They are perfect for setting to a particular voltage that you have found to be your "sweet spot". They are not IMO good for stepping up the voltage during a session because instead of simply turning a knob to step up your voltage, you would have to mess with a very little screw and screwdriver. These buck and boost units are definitely worth having as they are very small and portable. Great for car use as it will keep constant voltage whether the car is running or on accessories. I put a couple of them together for around $15 in parts for each. I would not recommend some of the cheeper tattoo type units. I bought one that puts out almost as much heat as the dog itself.
I'll take your tattoo VVPS cable off your hands if you still have it and want to part ways. I already got one of those aluminum ones from China ($9... I know, buy right or buy twice). Thanks for the heat warning as well.

An easy way to determine the proper distance for the glass stem is to place one of your tamping dowels beside the heater core till it hits the bottom - whether it rests on an o-ring or the steel base if you don't have an o-ring. Mark dowel with a pen.

Then fill the basket screen and push down with the dowel until it is even with the mark.....this will ensure the end of the heater is right at the beginning of the herb.

Empty the herb by tapping out and then sit the dowel at the bottom of the basket and mark the dowel again with pen.

Now you have two marks that will help ensure your basket screen is at the right depth before filling and also that the filled basket is not overfilled and touching the heater.

If you aren't getting vapour at this point - it is a heat issue. You either need to slow your draw - whether it be by mouth or through a bubbler or jack the heat up with a VVPS.

The Nongs are easier to get good results because you also have conductive heating since the basket sleeves into the core itself which conducts heat through the stainless steel tip.....but also easier to combust with the SS tips for the exact same reason.
Do all dogs come with tamping dowels? I had actually been using little score marks I put on my eNano 'ePic' to keep my screen aligned.

KiefVape

Sorry but I'm getting quite frustrated with this dog. It's the air core dog and I have the oring at the mark on the heating stem. I try the small bowls the medium bowls and originally was trying very large bowls. None have I been able to use truly. Most of the time the glass stem is burning my mouth and I'm getting no vape. Other times I get vape but such a little amount it's not noticeable. I have grounded all my weed upside down to the finest degree and loaded the bowls small but still no dice. The last hit burnt my lip and the weed didn't even burn, I swear it could have been the screen burning, cuz I almost felt a hit but no vape cloud. I guess I'll keep trying until I maybe find a way to use it indefinitely or give up after so many tried and roll Js again

I will say the small (very small) hits I did notice were quite good and gave me a good high and it seemed like to me gets you a lot higher then even some big joints, I just wish I could take not just 1 hit though and a good 1 at that. Still unable to achieve that.

StonerSloth

cui bono?
Sorry but I'm getting quite frustrated with this dog. It's the air core dog and I have the oring at the mark on the heating stem. I try the small bowls the medium bowls and originally was trying very large bowls. None have I been able to use truly. Most of the time the glass stem is burning my mouth and I'm getting no vape. Other times I get vape but such a little amount it's not noticeable. I have grounded all my weed upside down to the finest degree and loaded the bowls small but still no dice. The last hit burnt my lip and the weed didn't even burn, I swear it could have been the screen burning, cuz I almost felt a hit but no vape cloud. I guess I'll keep trying until I maybe find a way to use it indefinitely or give up after so many tried and roll Js again

I will say the small (very small) hits I did notice were quite good and gave me a good high and it seemed like to me gets you a lot higher then even some big joints, I just wish I could take not just 1 hit though and a good 1 at that. Still unable to achieve that.

How far is the screen from the end of the stem? It sounds like your dog is getting hot enough but the load is not... Try to use only enough material to fill the little basket screen and put the screen closer to the heater to see if you get anywhere.

StonerSloth,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Vaponly

What, Me Worry?
Sorry but I'm getting quite frustrated with this dog.

How long did you wait for your dog to warm-up before using it?

I just measured one of my glass stems and my screen surface is 1/2" from the tip of the stem.
(12.7mm for you metric folks lol)

I am powering the dog using the included 12v wall-wart adapter. After dialing in the screen depth I have not found much use for the cheap tatoo VVPS I grabbed on Amazon.

Last edited:

KiefVape

I will say I'm 100 percent sure I'm vaping the screen now. I haven't got a hit in over 20 tries I keeping placing it in the bowl a little more then full in the screen and sometimes just level with the screen still nothing

KiefVape,

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
I will say I'm 100 percent sure I'm vaping the screen now. I haven't got a hit in over 20 tries I keeping placing it in the bowl a little more then full in the screen and sometimes just level with the screen still nothing
Try regular 4pc grind, no upside down extra fine business. that may be clogging your screen. Use the stainless tip stems and get that down first if possible! use breath to inhale the herb as a straw (into the heated end of stem) and make sure before you attempt to heat soak and hit it, that you have good airflow! this is critical. it shouldn't feel much more restricted than when it is empty IMO. if you have heat, and you have good airflow, you will get vapor!

I'm also highly mystified by how you are burning your lips on the glass at all, getting vapor or no. It would seem like if it was that hot at the inhalation end of a long direct draw glass stem you would be lighting your product on fire at the other end. If you post a video of your packing of the stem and use of the dog maybe we could offer more insight.

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I'm also highly mystified by how you are burning your lips on the glass at all, getting vapor or no. It would seem like if it was that hot at the inhalation end of a long direct draw glass stem you would be lighting your product on fire at the other end. If you post a video of your packing of the stem and use of the dog maybe we could offer more insight.
I'm also quite mystified by OP's claim of glass burning your lips while not getting vapor. Are sure you have an Underdog? I'd love to see a picture of you taking a hit because what you are describing is not normal at all.

:peace:

KiefVape

I just tried the nylon one and to my benefit I believe I got a decent a hit. The glass I'm certain burned the screen and I almost threw up, I also was trying to pack small bowls as suggested. I tried another kind of medium sized bowl in the nylon and was able to hit it but was starting to get hot again, the top remained charred a little and rest brown. I think I'm giving up on those glass ones for now and not grinding the weed so light, does the nylon one have a screen?

KiefVape,
Reactions: Sand

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
There was a whole lot of experimentation this morning with screen configurations as so much of the advice given over the last page or so has been really helpful :tup:. @KiefVape I suggest you post some pictures of your unit, weed & components as it is a bit strange.

I am currently vaping pretty average weed & it is doing the job across all the stem kinds I have but I vaped at least 1g this morning & the thought of a shower & nap is appealing :lol:.

KnotKnox

I just tried the nylon one and to my benefit I believe I got a decent a hit. The glass I'm certain burned the screen and I almost threw up, I also was trying to pack small bowls as suggested. I tried another kind of medium sized bowl in the nylon and was able to hit it but was starting to get hot again, the top remained charred a little and rest brown. I think I'm giving up on those glass ones for now and not grinding the weed so light, does the nylon one have a screen?
How do you know the screen is burning? The nylon ones come with a tiny basket screen.

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
I just tried the nylon one and to my benefit I believe I got a decent a hit.
I'm glad for you!

The glass I'm certain burned the screen and I almost threw up, I also was trying to pack small bowls as suggested.
Was the screen directly touching the heating element inner screen, or did you leave the stem on the unit to heat soak for a very long time? I'm having a hard time visualizing this, but I think I'm just misunderstanding you.

I tried another kind of medium sized bowl in the nylon and was able to hit it but was starting to get hot again, the top remained charred a little and rest brown.
A quick drop of the ABV on some paper and a picture might give us some clues if you can swing it. My hits ABV usually are darker in some spots (in all vapes), but its hard to say if what you are seeing is normal or not without seeing it.

I think I'm giving up on those glass ones for now and not grinding the weed so light, does the nylon one have a screen?
Confused by what you mean here, the nylon 'NonG' stems come with small size screens in them, did you use yours without a screen? If so, how?

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
@KiefVape - I really want to help you get squared away and things running good for you but I'm so confused by everything you're telling us.

I don't understand how your glass stem can be burning hot on the lips but not hot enough to make vapor, that just doesn't seem possible so I don't know what to make of it.

And the part about 'burning' the screen in the glass stem I'm really at a loss over.. the vape doesn't (and can't) get hot enough to do anything to a stainless steel screen.

Wanting to help but totally baffled. :hmm:

You could send it in and we'd be happy to check it out for you but I'd hate for you to spend the money mailing in back only to have me test it and find it's working just fine.

KnotKnox

My silicone stem and silicone SS tip arrived today. The stem collects dust right out of the box, but that goes away according to what I've read. My favorite use is bouncing it back and forth, but my second is turning it into an L shape and taking a hit. The silicone SS tip fits very nicely into the stem and even looks flush (for the most part). It didn't fit the 14mm GonG or the thick direct draw. Over time I can see a lot of build up happening in the stem. It has the same dimensions as the thick direct draw, but is heavier and wiggly. In a way the silicone stem emasculated the glass direct draw. Looking at the two side by side the glass is weak and fragile. Nothing breaks silicone.

In the interest of full disclosure I should admit they gave me just under 14 inches when I ordered 12.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Nothing breaks silicone.
giphy.gif

In the interest of full disclosure I should admit they gave me just under 14 inches when I ordered 12.
64936633.jpg
;)

KiefVape

Having more success with the nylon stem, at times though it could possibly be getting clogged? How can I clean the screens etc when this seems to happen (not able to get any hit). I have found with this nylon stem a very long slow hit does the best but I can still feel the heat getting to the mouthpiece so I have to slow down the draw even more. The weed appears I think how it should after being vaped and often I have trouble using the nylon stem for a 2nd hit because the weed is all but incapable of vaping. So far this is the only way I have achieved semi decent vape hits by just gently dropping grinder bud into the nylon steel stem then putting to vape fully waiting 7 seconds then slowly inhaling at slow pace, at times mouthpiece can't get too hot. I do still end up with visible vapor and possibly smoke as appears chatting while rest is mild brownish orange color

KiefVape,
Reactions: Sand
Top Bottom