• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

bizwaxzion

Enigmatic Cannabist
I killed my power supply :(

I’ve read necessary specs for a third party power supply but I don’t trust my judgement quite enough. Could someone smarter than me please let me know if this https://www.jaycar.com.au/12w-3-12vdc-switchmode-plugpack-with-usb-outlet/p/MP3312
Or this

https://www.jaycar.com.au/18w-3-12vdc-switchmode-plugpack-with-usb-outlet/p/MP3314
Would be suitable for use with the UD?
I think either would work. The specs for the UD wall wart are 12v DC 1250mA output. The UD site says that 1000mA is enough to run a single dog. My concern would be around the voltage selection. They seem to be presets and the jump from 9v to 12v is large. The sweet spot for me is between 10v and 11v which would just not be possible without a rotary dial to select output voltage. If you have the UD travel vvps - then you can select 12v on the power supply and use the vvps to drop it down a bit.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Quick yearly update on my Maple twig. It's been on for more than 5 years now with 24/7 usage (minus two weeks or so). The core became loose around year 4. It still functions as a champ. Still running strong loose core and all. I have been using it to see how long it can go before finally giving up the ghost.

Since it has been my daily driver, my beautiful walnut UD has been stored in the closet since last x-mas. I finally broke it out to give it a go for a few days. Wonderful. The new core definitely runs hotter than the older ones. It's very hot towards the top. Works perfectly though. I prefer the higher temps.

I'll be going back to the Maple twig soon. I'm betting it goes another year at least.

Awesome man, glad to hear your Pup just keeps going and going.. :cheers:

I killed my power supply :(

I’ve read necessary specs for a third party power supply but I don’t trust my judgement quite enough. Could someone smarter than me please let me know if this https://www.jaycar.com.au/12w-3-12vdc-switchmode-plugpack-with-usb-outlet/p/MP3312
Or this

https://www.jaycar.com.au/18w-3-12vdc-switchmode-plugpack-with-usb-outlet/p/MP3314
Would be suitable for use with the UD?

Are you looking for one to pair with a Travel VVPS to power your Dog or are you looking to hook it directly to the Dog? Either of those power supplies should work with either scenario (make sure the tip is installed for 'tip positive' for VVPS use) but their limited adjustability will probably be an issue.

If you want help feel free to send a message to myself or Underdogette and we can help you find just the right power supply to get you back up and running. :cheers:

i might have missed this ... but any idea on the cost of one of the FYT Dogs?

We haven't announced any pricing so far and I can't say for certainty until I start milling the wood to see how it comes out, that said I'd guess between $235 and $255.

If I come across any particularly spectacular looking parts of the logs I may set those aside for some Exhibition Grade Dogs (aka Show Dogs, aka EG Dogs).. those usually range from $285 to $495.

ApplePipes

I wanted to ask what an alpha/oversized Nylon stem was good for. Does it just have a bigger, longer pathway to allow the vapor to cool down further? Or does it have a bigger bowl to allow for multiple hits and not be a one-hitter?

And between the Stainless Steel Lite and the Nylon Direct Draw (regular size), which one would you guys say is a "must have?"

Thank you!

Last edited:

buddingglasshead

I wanted to ask what an alpha/oversized Nylon stem was good for. Does it just have a bigger, longer pathway to allow the vapor to cool down further? Or does it have a bigger bowl to allow for multiple hits and not be a one-hitter?

And between the Stainless Steel Lite and the Nylon Direct Draw (regular size), which one would you guys say is a "must have?"

Thank you!

Alpha stems are for the currently discontinued Alpha Dog.

EDIT: Guess they work with regular core as well. Gonna try it out and update.

EDIT2: Works very well. Pleasantly surprised but have to twist the stem to have even abv. I do the same with the nylon/ss lite but it's not needed, but is with the alpha stem.

Same size chamber for the nylon and SS lite. Just depends if you care about having Nylon or not. SS Lite is going to be easier to clean since you can just use ISO and so or whatever you want. Nylon won't be as easy to clean.

Last edited:

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep

Thank you!

The bowl size is the same as the glass stems that slip over the heater core but unbreakable.

Yes, what @RUDE BOY said. They have a bigger bowl than the regular nylons, same as the glass stems. These stems can fit both the Alphas and regular Underdogs.

ApplePipes

Awesome, thank you for the clarification FC community!

Same size chamber for the nylon and SS lite. Just depends if you care about having Nylon or not. SS Lite is going to be easier to clean since you can just use ISO and so or whatever you want. Nylon won't be as easy to clean.

@buddingglasshead How would I go about cleaning the Nylon stems? Is one better for flavor and one is better for efficiency? Thanks again!

Last edited:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Awesome, thank you for the clarification FC community!

@buddingglasshead How would I go about cleaning the Nylon stems? Is one better for flavor and one is better for efficiency? Thanks again!

The Nylon Stems (and NonGs) can be cleaned with 70% ISO alcohol the same way you might clean glass stems. I like to put then in a container with ISO, let them sit and soak for a minute or two, shake the container around for another minute or so and then rinse with hot water. They can also be run thru a dishwasher if put in the silverware tray. :cheers:

As far as differences in preference between the Nylon and SS Lite stems it's mostly just a personal preference thing. They effectively have the same size bowl, the SS Lite might cool a tiny bit better but it's not significant. Some people don't like Nylon or any other plastics so will choose the SS option.

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Last night I woke up so nauseous and dizzy.. I keep my one of my UDs on a side table right by my bed with my grinder and a stem, turning on my cel phone flashlight and being able to take two hits and feel okay again is such an awesome thing.. I wouldn’t have been able to fall back asleep without it. It’s so nice to know it’s always ready when I need it most..

ApplePipes

Just clicked purchase on a stunning Underdog zebrawood vape. This will be my first desktop vape after my Pax found its home in my junk drawer and eventually a Craigslist listing a mere 2 weeks after I purchased it so hopefully, my UD ownership takes a different trajectory.

After weeks of researching my options, reaching out to E-Nano :rolleyes:, reading up on forums, posting on Reddit and FC, and constantly adding the UD to my cart and not checking out, I FINALLY sacked up and hit purchase. Much of this had to do specifically with the legendary customer service provided to me by @underdogette and how unwavering her patience was in answering my pain-in-the-ass barrage of questions and clarifications :clap:. The rest of my decision was due to users who repeated the sentiment of how sincerely they love their 'pups,' despite owning a whole bevy of vape options, and how they wouldn't trade their UD for anything else. The choice was crystal clear once I got to the bottom of the log vape rabbit hole.

With the blessing of @underdogette I'd be more than happy to compile all of her comprehensive answers to my questions into a singular post in order to assist future indecisive FC'ers in their narrowing down process.

For my stem options, I ultimately went with:
1.) 14mm Long GonG because I liked the tapered end for direct draws, and it could still easily mate with my water pipe if I wanted it to. Dual purpose is the way to go!
2.) 18mm NonG because you gotta have it...How else am I going to whitewall my water pipe and send my friends into outer space?
3.) Couldn't decide between the SSL and the Nylon Stem for my microdosing stem, but I read somewhere that the Nylon stem is @underdog 's favorite for direct draws, so that sealed the deal for the nylon DD.

Also added in an Aromatherapy cup for when mom visits and a little adapter to use the 14mm long GonG on my 18mm water pipe. I am so damn excited for my UD, it feels like Christmas in February. If my post got you fondly reminiscing about your first time with your pup, then please send some tips my way that could help me get to cloud city ASAP like voltage settings, grind size, packing, etc. Thank you to everyone who helped me through the process of picking out my first desktop vape, can't wait to post pics and more details in a few days once I'm officially part of the Underdog Club!

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

I lost most of my screens for my glass stems. I have 4 left and one has gone rusty and won't sit in the stem properly any more. I bought some brass screens but they are too soft, won't hold their shape in the stem and slide around and even flip over in the stem. I want to call around to find stainless steel screens in the right size (most places only carry the cheap brass ones which is why I had any to start with) but I put the brass screens somewhere "safe" and now I can't find them. Just spent an hour looking. So I don't know what size they were.

What size are those screens when they are flat? I can't just order pre-formed because I can't get mail delivery due to my disabilities and the fact that the PO won't either move me to a mail pod that is closer to me (there is one right across the street but my address is assigned to one a couple of blocks away) or provide ADA required home delivery. I haven't been able to get my mail for over a year now. So I really need to get these locally and since so few places carry any ss screens at all, I need to call around to find someone who has the right size in stock.

I tried flattening out one of the ruined ones but its all misshapen now and I can't tell what size it was when it was new and still round.

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep
Just clicked purchase on a stunning Underdog zebrawood vape. This will be my first desktop vape after my Pax found its home in my junk drawer and eventually a Craigslist listing a mere 2 weeks after I purchased it so hopefully, my UD ownership takes a different trajectory.

After weeks of researching my options, reaching out to E-Nano :rolleyes:, reading up on forums, posting on Reddit and FC, and constantly adding the UD to my cart and not checking out, I FINALLY sacked up and hit purchase. Much of this had to do specifically with the legendary customer service provided to me by @underdogette and how unwavering her patience was in answering my pain-in-the-ass barrage of questions and clarifications :clap:. The rest of my decision was due to users who repeated the sentiment of how sincerely they love their 'pups,' despite owning a whole bevy of vape options, and how they wouldn't trade their UD for anything else. The choice was crystal clear once I got to the bottom of the log vape rabbit hole.

With the blessing of @underdogette I'd be more than happy to compile all of her comprehensive answers to my questions into a singular post in order to assist future indecisive FC'ers in their narrowing down process.

1.) 14mm Long GonG because I liked the tapered end for direct draws, and it could still easily mate with my water pipe if I wanted it to. Dual purpose is the way to go!
2.) 18mm NonG because you gotta have it...How else am I going to whitewall my water pipe and send my friends into outer space?
3.) Couldn't decide between the SSL and the Nylon Stem for my microdosing stem, but I read somewhere that the Nylon stem is @underdog 's favorite for direct draws, so that sealed the deal for the nylon DD.

Also added in an Aromatherapy cup for when mom visits and a little adapter to use the 14mm long GonG on my 18mm water pipe. I am so damn excited for my UD, it feels like Christmas in February. If my post got you fondly reminiscing about your first time with your pup, then please send some tips my way that could help me get to cloud city ASAP like voltage settings, grind size, packing, etc. Thank you to everyone who helped me through the process of picking out my first desktop vape, can't wait to post pics and more details in a few days once I'm officially part of the Underdog Club!

Welcome to the Underdog Pack!

I lost most of my screens for my glass stems. I have 4 left and one has gone rusty and won't sit in the stem properly any more. I bought some brass screens but they are too soft, won't hold their shape in the stem and slide around and even flip over in the stem. I want to call around to find stainless steel screens in the right size (most places only carry the cheap brass ones which is why I had any to start with) but I put the brass screens somewhere "safe" and now I can't find them. Just spent an hour looking. So I don't know what size they were.

What size are those screens when they are flat? I can't just order pre-formed because I can't get mail delivery due to my disabilities and the fact that the PO won't either move me to a mail pod that is closer to me (there is one right across the street but my address is assigned to one a couple of blocks away) or provide ADA required home delivery. I haven't been able to get my mail for over a year now. So I really need to get these locally and since so few places carry any ss screens at all, I need to call around to find someone who has the right size in stock.

I tried flattening out one of the ruined ones but its all misshapen now and I can't tell what size it was when it was new and still round.

Stu is on the right track.

Do you have any friends or family nearby who could deliver a package for you?

If you aren't able to find a solution, let me know. We don't have a UPS or Fedex account, but I could make a special delivery for you through one of those guys if that would work for you.

Also, I'm wondering how your screens have rusted since they're stainless steel (assuming they're from us). The only time I've seen that is when someone was trying to clean them with a torch.

But yeah, you would need special tooling to form the screens. You can't try to press them into the glass stems because it will break the glass.

Keep us updated!

CurryLeafTreehugger

I use .750 (3/4") ss screens to form my baskets. Should be easy to find locally, but the tricky part is making them into the baskets. I used a tool designed for it so it was easy, but without a tool you'll need to get creative. :2c:

:peace:

I'm creative. I've got a dapping set. If I can't find it (it may have been among all the tools that were stolen last time we paid someone to help us move), well, that's what Forstner bits are for. I think 1/2" is close enough to form the basket, eyeballing the stems I have that seems to be close enough to the ID.

@underdogette: NOPE. No one who can "pick it up for me". I don't know anyone here. Frankly can't afford to pay to have something that small shipped UPS, plus EVERY time I get a small package that was supposed to come UPS here, the last leg is handled by the USPS and it (doesn't) go to the mailbox. There is probably a way to make sure USPS is not involved, but I bet it costs even more to try to go that way.

About the rust: I left my screens soaking in 91% alcohol for a REALLY REALLY long time. One of the screens is now showing about 1/4th of the flat part to be rusting. The rest seem ok. Couldn't scrub the discoloration off. I have a slew of these somewhere. Probably not the same "safe" place I put the brass screens.

I'll look for 3/4" screens and see what I can do with them then. Thanks.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Hey Stu, are you using a leather punch?

No, I was initially using the butt end of a 7/16" drill bit through a hole I drilled into a random board of wood I had. That was a bad idea as soon the hole widened up (being made of soft wood). Then I discovered Ratchett's tool and it changed my life.

I'm still using the old kit Underdog had on the website a few years ago. . . a wooden dowel and 1/2 piece of silicone tubing. So simple and it works great, push the screen through the silicone with the dowel and a basket screen pops out.

Gigsabits53

Congrats on ordering your 1st dog! You picked some good stems, I think you will really enjoy it!

CurryLeafTreehugger

No, I was initially using the butt end of a 7/16" drill bit through a hole I drilled into a random board of wood I had. That was a bad idea as soon the hole widened up (being made of soft wood). Then I discovered Ratchett's tool and it changed my life.

Just drill a new hole! I mean really, how many screens do you need? I've had these for 3 or 4 years now and its just now they're starting to go south on me, and then only because I have misplaced ALL my spares. I have something like a dozen spare screens I bought from UD, I just don't know where I put them.

Yeah, drilling a hole all the way through a block of wood and pushing the screen all the way through is better than a Forstner bit. Now I don't have to find my Forstner bits, just my regular drill bits. And the drill. And the battery for the drill, which is in the flashlight. Wherever the flash light is.

That "basket screen press" really just looks like a specialized clamp. In fact, maybe my best bet is to find a clamp with a roughly 1/2" rod.

Top Bottom