Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Wow Friday already..?! Been busy in the shop all week and didn't barely have time to post. It's getting to be about that time of the year so we've been putting hours prepping for all the holiday madness.

well i could do that with the glass stem, but it is also happening with my nong. and that screen is fixed in there i believe...?

i am thinking about putting another screen into the output tube of the UD itself. of which would keep the heat further away from the load.

all this will be attempted after the new cords arrive.

Please do let us know how the cord works out...

If your NonG has a crimp line in the SS tip then the screen is fixed at that depth (against the crimp) if it's an uncrimped one then it has some adjustability.

Sounds like a dimmer might be what u need.

He's using an Econo-Dog so it won't be compatible with all the standard 2.1mm dimmers and unfortunately we haven't found a 2.5mm dimmer. If he was willing to cut a couple wires on his power supply he could certainly 'roll his own' though with one of these.
51c6ChC61aL._SL1100_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulb...TF8&qid=1445611620&sr=8-2&keywords=led+dimmer

2clicker

Observer
Please do let us know how the cord works out...

If your NonG has a crimp line in the SS tip then the screen is fixed at that depth (against the crimp) if it's an uncrimped one then it has some adjustability.

He's using an Econo-Dog so it won't be compatible with all the standard 2.1mm dimmers and unfortunately we haven't found a 2.5mm dimmer. If he was willing to cut a couple wires on his power supply he could certainly 'roll his own' though with one of these.
51c6ChC61aL._SL1100_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Triangle-Bulb...TF8&qid=1445611620&sr=8-2&keywords=led+dimmer

i will def keep this thread posted. and my nong is the crimped style.

and no worries because i LOVE the idea of the dimmer you posted! and at a nice price to boot. i may be hitting you with questions once it arrives!

hackslasher

Don't feel like writing much cause really high, but got my UD yesterday and been loving her since. First off, atleast for the beech, it's so much smaller then I thought. About the width of a paper towel roll. Blew me away when saw it. Second thing was the color. On the web page the beech looked so much lighter. I wanted to paint it because wouldn't have gone with the other woods in the room being so bright. Surprisingly it came a bit darker then it was looking on the webpage, to me atleast, and gotta say, I so happy it did. Looks beautiful and don't have to go through the whole painting process. Now for performance... So far she's been awesome. Haven't been getting the biggest clouds, but the effects are STRONG. After the honey moon phase can probably put more to it, because atm feel like I'm getting super smacked off this thing. Higher then off my Lily and the mighty, so not sure if just cause new and what not or because?...some magic in the woodwork? Idk guess can talk on it more when had a bit longer. There are only problem I've come across thus far is the screen getting dirty very fast. Not like gunky but just like little bits getting stuck in the holes of the screen and not wanting to come out. Doesn't effect the hit, I don't think, but just get a weird anxious like feeling when see it, like a strong urge to clean it now. Anyway wrote way more then my brain cared to write atm but had to say thank you to the underdog team for pure awesomeness. I'm loving this beauty:love:

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Don't feel like writing much cause really high, but got my UD yesterday and been loving her since. First off, atleast for the beech, it's so much smaller then I thought. About the width of a paper towel roll. Blew me away when saw it. Second thing was the color. On the web page the beech looked so much lighter. I wanted to paint it because wouldn't have gone with the other woods in the room being so bright. Surprisingly it came a bit darker then it was looking on the webpage, to me atleast, and gotta say, I so happy it did. Looks beautiful and don't have to go through the whole painting process. Now for performance... So far she's been awesome. Haven't been getting the biggest clouds, but the effects are STRONG. After the honey moon phase can probably put more to it, because atm feel like I'm getting super smacked off this thing. Higher then off my Lily and the mighty, so not sure if just cause new and what not or because?...some magic in the woodwork? Idk guess can talk on it more when had a bit longer. There are only problem I've come across thus far is the screen getting dirty very fast. Not like gunky but just like little bits getting stuck in the holes of the screen and not wanting to come out. Doesn't effect the hit, I don't think, but just get a weird anxious like feeling when see it, like a strong urge to clean it now. Anyway wrote way more then my brain cared to write atm but had to say thank you to the underdog team for pure awesomeness. I'm loving this beauty:love:
The higher feeling could be from the often talked about 'vape signature' that each vape has. Welcome to the pound! Beware, it can get addicting! Haha. Enjoy!

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep

Glad you're enjoying! To keep your stems cleaner, take a look at this FAQ: http://underdogvapes.com/faq#cleanstems

Long story short- it's best to try to blow your load (lol, that's what she said) while it's still hot. If it cools, take a dry, hot hit and blow again.

underdog

Manufacturer
How goes the mini's :brow: ?

Good question.. I have the cores made and ready to go and I've started picking wood for the bodies but haven't started turning them yet.

I've been busy this week finishing some custom jobs and then getting started on the first lumber milling of the fall/winter season. The milling is exciting because that means we'll be having some awesome unique Dogs in another 6-12 months when the wood is finally dry! :rockon:

Peacockfur

now: Enano OG, solo 2 previously: Lots!
Hey guys, just wondering if there were any special promo or discount codes for FC members. Plnning on picking up a beech dog soon. Maybe red oak.... So many choices :nod:

Also, if the stem is left plugged into the UD when not drawing, will it continue to vaporize the material? Im kind of lazy and would probably prefr to just leave it in during a session if there was very minimal net loss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peacockfur,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
Also, if the stem is left plugged into the UD when not drawing, will it continue to vaporize the material? Im kind of lazy and would probably prefr to just leave it in during a session if there was very minimal net loss.

I've found leaving the stem on does little more then decarb a mm or two of the load from the heat that rises through the heater core on it's own. I have gotten ready to vape and attached one of the old style stems when I was interrupted for a few hours, when I went back to pick up the underdog I found the herbs were still pretty green and gave me as many hits as the next fresh bowl did just lacked that fresh taste.

But I gotta say you would have to be very very very Lazy if removing the stem between use is actually something you think of as Work.

:peace:

Peacockfur

So, i am kind of confused. Sorry for the questions which have probably been answered but do you have to use the device at a 90 degree angle or upside down (like attaching it to a water pipe?) or can you just put the stem in it while its standing on a desk or something normally/right side up? I ask this because i don't really see any mechanism that stops the herb from falling into the heating chamber i guess, and the only usage videos i have found are in water pipes.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I use mine dry and upright, kinda like drinking a soda with a straw. to load i just suck up enough herb to fill the bowl then just push the load down lightly with something flat so as not to impede the airflow much but to allow the stem to slip over the core and little to no herb ever falls out of the stem. always thought using it upside-down with just a stem hitting it dry is kinda stupid and unnecessary myself.

Edit; also believe using the right stem for the size load I wanna do helps.

Edit Edit; I know on a lot of the threads here on FC people talk a whole lot about vape-bonging and show pictures and videos of their set-ups and whatnot and often just how to use a given vape dry with a regular stem seemingly gets lost in all the talk about water tools and toys which most people I know won't use. I do know that all the using water talk and lack of videos of just using log vapes dry has actually cost UD a couple of sales when I directed people I couldn't use mine with to FC to check 'em out.

Last edited:

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Hi everyone. I just started following this thread a few days ago, but I read the first 30 or 50 pages a few months ago. I am not looking to buy a new vape at the moment (mostly because I really need to watch my spending for a while). Regardless, the Underdog is next on my list, so I figure I might as well start learning about it now.

The very first vape suggestion I received (from @MileHighLife, in response to something I said in the grinder thread a few months ago) was to consider getting an Underdog. So I started reading the beginning of this thread. When I did that, I was still a smoker who had never vaped, trying to figure out which vape to start out with. At the time, knowing essentially nothing about vaporizers, I just couldn't figure out everything I needed to know to feel comfortable buying an Underdog. However, now I think I have a better understanding of how the Underdog works, although there is still a lot I don't understand. Also, I really like the fact that they are made and sold by someone who is basically one of us, and who interacts with his customers very regularly via this thread.

Here's an important bit of information regarding what I seek in a vape: I want something that can operate at a temperature just below combustion. The more I have read of this thread, the more I am convinced the Underdog is that vape. I might be able to do that with my Aromed, but if so, it requires loading it with half a gram of herbs, which I don't want to do anymore.

I have recognized more than a few names in this thread, most likely because I have interacted with these people in the grinder thread and/or the Eating ABV thread. So that's cool.

Considering I learned a lot about the Aromed and Air just by participating in their respective threads after I bought them, I figure the same thing can happen here, but before I buy one.

So everyone, be aware that there is a new guy here, who hopes to learn more about the Underdog by reading what you guys have to say about it.

Warning: My cognitive skills are slipping (because of multiple sclerosis), so I'm probably going to say a lot of things here that may seem fairly stupid. Also, some important information will go straight through me. So please be patient with me.

srama21

Monotonous Botanist
welcome to the dog pound @Aimless Ryan. You are sort of my grinder guru, i'm glad to see you have interest in Underdog vapes.

Here's an important bit of information regarding what I seek in a vape: I want something that can operate at a temperature just below combustion. The more I have read of this thread, the more I am convinced the Underdog is that vape.

I agree with this. I would say my standard core UD plugged into the wall wort operates at a temp very close to combustion. Add an extension and you get a slightly lower temp. There are also many options to adjust the temps, (dimmer switch, VVPS, etc) but it sounds like the temperature you are seeking is attainable without any temperature control device.

Theres also an elegance and simplicity to dogs that is present from start to finish, from the sleek design to its easy use. Load material into stem, place stem near heater, draw. convection bliss. I think you will be a big fan.

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Also, I really like the fact that they are made and sold by someone who is basically one of us, and who interacts with his customers very regularly via this thread.

Sorry I didn't mention you up there, @underdogette. I realize you are a big part of the Underdog operation, and that you are also very active in this thread as a representative of Underdog. Even though what I said may have sounded like I was talking about one person, who is male, I actually meant the team.

underdog

Manufacturer
Just wanted to chime in again real quick, getting massive clouds now. Changed the hit style a bit, almost just like drinking a shake slowly through a wide straw. Again underdog team you=Awesome:rockon:

Awesome man, glad it's coming together for you, thanks for the update!

Hey guys, just wondering if there were any special promo or discount codes for FC members. Plnning on picking up a beech dog soon. Maybe red oak.... So many choices :nod:

The only code going right now is the one in my signature for the free Priority Shipping. :peace:

Depends a lot on the temp of the individual Dog, the stem and strain being used, etc. It's basically effortless (for me) to remove a stem when not hitting it that I almost never leave one on. Your needs may vary of course.. :)

So, i am kind of confused. Sorry for the questions which have probably been answered but do you have to use the device at a 90 degree angle or upside down (like attaching it to a water pipe?) or can you just put the stem in it while its standing on a desk or something normally/right side up? I ask this because i don't really see any mechanism that stops the herb from falling into the heating chamber i guess, and the only usage videos i have found are in water pipes.

You can use it in any position you like, whatever works best for you. With a slight tamp (like lightly touching it with a finger tip or dowel) the material will stick in place because of it's stickiness and friction and not tend to fall out unless/until deliberately blown out. If any little bits do fall out and into the core of the vape it's a simple matter to just blow them off. :2c:

I use mine dry and upright, kinda like drinking a soda with a straw. to load i just suck up enough herb to fill the bowl then just push the load down lightly with something flat so as not to impede the airflow much but to allow the stem to slip over the core and little to no herb ever falls out of the stem. always thought using it upside-down with just a stem hitting it dry is kinda stupid and unnecessary myself.

Edit; also believe using the right stem for the size load I wanna do helps.

Edit Edit; I know on a lot of the threads here on FC people talk a whole lot about vape-bonging and show pictures and videos of their set-ups and whatnot and often just how to use a given vape dry with a regular stem seemingly gets lost in all the talk about water tools and toys which most people I know won't use. I do know that all the using water talk and lack of videos of just using log vapes dry has actually cost UD a couple of sales when I directed people I couldn't use mine with to FC to check 'em out.

I always think using stems dry is underrated.. it's my favorite way right now. Are you saying some people don't realize the Dogs can be used without a water piece and aren't buying as a result? If so how do you think we could address that issue?

Hi everyone. I just started following this thread a few days ago, but I read the first 30 or 50 pages a few months ago. I am not looking to buy a new vape at the moment (mostly because I really need to watch my spending for a while). Regardless, the Underdog is next on my list, so I figure I might as well start learning about it now.

The very first vape suggestion I received (from @MileHighLife, in response to something I said in the grinder thread a few months ago) was to consider getting an Underdog. So I started reading the beginning of this thread. When I did that, I was still a smoker who had never vaped, trying to figure out which vape to start out with. At the time, knowing essentially nothing about vaporizers, I just couldn't figure out everything I needed to know to feel comfortable buying an Underdog. However, now I think I have a better understanding of how the Underdog works, although there is still a lot I don't understand. Also, I really like the fact that they are made and sold by someone who is basically one of us, and who interacts with his customers very regularly via this thread.

Here's an important bit of information regarding what I seek in a vape: I want something that can operate at a temperature just below combustion. The more I have read of this thread, the more I am convinced the Underdog is that vape. I might be able to do that with my Aromed, but if so, it requires loading it with half a gram of herbs, which I don't want to do anymore.

I have recognized more than a few names in this thread, most likely because I have interacted with these people in the grinder thread and/or the Eating ABV thread. So that's cool.

Considering I learned a lot about the Aromed and Air just by participating in their respective threads after I bought them, I figure the same thing can happen here, but before I buy one.

So everyone, be aware that there is a new guy here, who hopes to learn more about the Underdog by reading what you guys have to say about it.

Warning: My cognitive skills are slipping (because of multiple sclerosis), so I'm probably going to say a lot of things here that may seem fairly stupid. Also, some important information will go straight through me. So please be patient with me.

Welcome to the thread and UD pack (in the future) @Aimless Ryan! :cool::wave:

Temps vary a bit between the different sized Dogs, the density of their wooden bodies, etc but we do our best to have them run as close to combustion as possible without having a big risk of actually hitting it.

Anyways don't hesitate to ask questions, like Madcap points out there's a huge wealth of information available from the posters (and lurkers) in this thread and I for one don't believe in such a thing as a stupid question. :tup:

Welcome to the thread @Aimless Ryan !:wave:

I think you will really enjoy this vape as well. There is a wealth of knowledge and knowledgeable people in this thread. Feel free to ask away! We're here to help.

You forgot that this thread is also one of the friendliest.. :D

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I always think using stems dry is underrated.. it's my favorite way right now. Are you saying some people don't realize the Dogs can be used without a water piece and aren't buying as a result? If so how do you think we could address that issue?

Yeah for some reason after checking out the thread they got the impression it's main use was with a water tool even though I had told 'em how I use it and never talked about using a bubbler myself. Don't know that either of them actually read much of the thread or if they just caught that in the pages and conversations going on at the time.

:shrug:

Peacockfur

Awesome! Ill be ordering my UD as soon as UDette gets back to my email :)
"ONE OF US"
haha
Anyways, one more question, how much hotter does the air core run when compared to the standard core? i usually don't like to break 410F when vaping, but i realize my vaporizers are not actually that great at gauging temperatures. For that matter what is the standard core estimated to run at? or does it depend completely on draw style and the way you pack the stem?

underdog

Manufacturer
Yeah for some reason after checking out the thread they got the impression it's main use was with a water tool even though I had told 'em how I use it and never talked about using a bubbler myself. Don't know that either of them actually read much of the thread or if they just caught that in the pages and conversations going on at the time.
:shrug:

Huh..weird (and sucky), thanks for the heads up! :hmm:

Awesome! Ill be ordering my UD as soon as UDette gets back to my email :) "ONE OF US" haha

Anyways, one more question, how much hotter does the air core run when compared to the standard core? i usually don't like to break 410F when vaping, but i realize my vaporizers are not actually that great at gauging temperatures. For that matter what is the standard core estimated to run at? or does it depend completely on draw style and the way you pack the stem?

Haha.. One of Us!

Between their analog nature and the variability of the heating elements and wooden body density it's really hard to say in regards to temps these days.. I aim for low 400's though. Draw style and how (and with what) you pack the stem can also have a pronounced effect.

The temp difference between a standard and AC are usually just 2-3° and the heat up time just a couple minutes different (in favor of the AC). :2c::cool:

mikeben

Last edited:

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
OK this vape just looked too cool to pass up. Did I pick up a quality desktop? Good flavor, ease of use? Does it works with hash, wax, liquid, kief, dry herb, Any auto shut off? So excited to use this. Will it work with this bubbler.http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/grace-glass-limited-edition-vapor-bubbler-with-inline-showerhead-diffuser-white.html#.Vi-DXJVdHmR I hope I made a good choice
This vape is too cool to pass up and is of very high quality and backed by 2 very helpful, very friendly fc members. It can produce super tasty hits if dialed in properly and while it can be quite a bit more of a challenge to get a log vape dialed in than some other desktops, it is 100% user dependent. If you use common sense and ask questions when they arise you will be golden. You can do things like adjust screen height in the stem to get the load closer or further from the heat source, you can dial the temps up or down using a variable voltage power supply (sold seperately) like the voltage keeper, hover the stem vs. placing it all the way down into the heater port, etc. The ud does work with any consistency you'll throw at it but you need to get creative sometimes. For instance for hash oil I'll fill the stem about 2/3 full of flower, then place a chunk of oil on that bed of flower, then fill the rest of the stem with flower. Some other people are using dab pads from the mighty (I think it was the mighty) cut up to fit in the bowl of their stem and loading that up with concentrates so there'd be no flower involved there. There is no auto shut off but most of us just run our ud 24/7 as they use less than 12 watts power. Mine's been on for over 2 years now pretty much continuously. It will work with that bubbler. You'll want a 14mm nong stem to go along with your bub for the best water experience imo. If you go with the 14mm gong instead make sure you get the o rings for the heat port.
:peace:

Top Bottom