Underdog Log Vapes

The_Algebraist

@NEVERnotWORKING

she looks happy!!

C3epwTM.jpg

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
@SD_haze - taste like leather too. california represent!

My UD is Myrtle burl. Maybe that is why I tasted leather when using it. I wonder if all Myrtle burl tastes like leather. I have found that different woods do have different flavors. Fruit woods seem to always have a sweet flavor.

Alan,

Darkedhunter

VERY excited for today. According to USPS, my Underdog is going to be delivered today. =) Unfortunately, I have a nine hour workday. I may not have the opportunity to give it a test drive tonight, but I will be sure to post pictures as soon as possible!

EDIT: Would like to note how impressed I am with the shipping service on Dave's part. It was ordered only two days ago, that's way cool!

NEVERnotWORKING

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA!
How bout a pic of that Myrtle burl UD Alan :brow: ? I love the woodgrain on mine it's so intricate and sporadic as it goes from light to dark in tone.

@The_Algebraist - she hella happy :lol: , plus she just got some new toys to play with - a poplar woodstem and half/half colored Walnut WonG.

@Darkedhunter - dude, you're seriously in for a treat... I remember I was on egg shells all day at work checking the tracking on my shipment.

NEVERnotWORKING,

I_wanted_truth

Just an update. My Tineo twig is burning hot and true! I have really loved my Dog, and am getting a VERY dark (prettty much black) roast from the stock power adapter. Love how it looks as a piece of art on my desk and love how I can use it for aromatherapy.

Although I introduced my homebrewed mircostems (made from Dave's simple glass stems) a few pages back, I have actually been using the thick silicone stems recently. Two screens seems to reduce a little airflow and produce more heat. As long as most of the screen is just thinly covered, I can get a super dark roast. So, I'm able to vape small amounts still, but the silicone stems are exponentially easier to clear/clean and add new screens to, compared to the internal diameter of the glass/microstem. So, I'm converted to the silicone.

Question: Got my hands on a multimeter this weekend. How can I test the volts coming to my Dog under load? Do I have to splice wires? The multimeter seems to test the PA alone at around 17 volts. Where do I position the probes to get a reading of the PA under load?

Thanks!

akwardsauce

gold all in my chains...dont believe me just watch
I'd be down for an UnderZap for sure.:rockon:

I'm not so sure about an aromadog, though... :uhoh:

Maybe a Dog ?
.............Zap

Get it? Zap under Dog. :dog:
:peace:

i like zapdog, myself...anyways i know that was an old comment but i had to throw that name out there...

Darkedhunter

Well, I did say I would do pictures!

First impressions: Wow. I put the aromatherapy cup on while the Underdog was heating up and my room (and pretty much my entire basement) had the beautiful scent of peppermint within 45 minutes. The wood on the Underdog itself is absolutely gorgeous. Dave sold it as a Lost Dog, but I believe that is far too harsh. =) There is a small "chip" where the unit connects to the power supply, but it looks natural as it goes with the grain (you can see in the 4th picture). The bocote is something that I catch my self spacing out to, as the natural figuring is quite the eye catcher. I'm actually fairly surprised at how small the Underdog is! It comfortably fits in my hand, but still feels very substantial.

As far as performance goes, I'm going to have to give it a few more goes to reach a final verdict. That being said, initial testing seems VERY promising. Keep in mind that my only vaping experiences before this have been on a MFLB, and even that tiny thing can knock me down.

I loaded around .1 grams of some Sour Crack into the glass wand and took a long nice slow draw. I had to stop halfway through due to how much vapor I was getting! Wow, definitely was not anticipating that! I coughed/slobbered and got a tad bit of my bowl wet, which is gross, sad, and completely my fault. xD Nonetheless, I continued to take draws (which were notably quicker) and got another five or so cloudy hits. I emptied my ABV which was golden around the edges, dark brown in the center (I'm guessing my first draw was too slow), and green where I messed up. I was undoubtedly medicated. =)

Random thoughts:

1) Does not get nearly as hot to hold as I was expecting.
2) The power brick wall wort is gigantic.
3) A little goes a long way.
4) All the goodies really show that Dave is in it for the customer.
5) I would not be worried about ordering a Lost Dog, they're fantastic.
6) I think this vape, along with my MFLB, covers all my bases. ^.^
7) Forgive the iPhone pictures.

The whole set:
attachment

Diffusing:
attachment

The Bocote Twig:
attachment

Backside and "blemish":
attachment

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
glad you like your Lost Dog! just like you said, with a MFLB and UD my bases are definitely well covered right now when it comes to vaping as well. i can't see your pictures though :shrug: isn't that first hit out of your UD a killer?! hahah

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Reactions: underdogette

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
As requested, here are some photos of my UD.

topdogside.jpg

topdogbottom.jpg

starwashertopdog.jpg

screentopdog.jpg

This is the UD that I got from Dave in trade for a mahogany Toasty Tower with ebony legs. The Myrtle Burl is a stunning piece of wood. One of his first pieces.
I did perform some modifications. The gorilla glue was all removed including the power plug and hole. I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom for the very first shortened heating element I had made. The heating element is identical to what I use in the HI now. All of the silicone RTV was removed from the core and I rebuilt it so that it was a solid stack of star washers without the notched washer at the top. I then added a screen to prevent anything from falling into the core.
It is now a Vegan Dog and a real pleasure to use. Such a nice vaporizer.
Does anyone else have any photos of a Vegan Dog they wish to share?

Rick

Zapman
Nice pictures of a nice piece of Myrtle Burl Alan. Interesting you found it necessary to put down the UD in the same post, on Daves thread. You were asked for pictures but wait, there is more!
Good move stirring shit that has already been stirred, sifted and baked. I call it a low blow.
How's that waiting list coming?

...."such a nice vaporizer"..........after I redesigned it...............

vegan, pagan, bullshit. Dogs eat meat. They also make lots of good clean vapor and they are available every day with excellent customer service, not promises.

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I'm sorry you took offense to my post Rick. You are entitled to your opinion. It was requested that I post a photo of my UD, so I did. I just wanted to explain the changes I had made. It was an awesome vaporizer before I made any changes. My modifications did not make it perform any better. Dave indicated he was willing to make Vegan Dogs and I just wanted to see one. The waiting list is not going well at all. Thanks for asking.

Rick

Zapman
Thanks for the nice reply Alan. I did not intend to express any personal offense to your words. I guess I was trying to speak for the large dog pound which is impossible to do. Dogs have changed much since the early days, right?
I also am a meat eater. Vegan is not necessarily "purer" in my eyes. In fact, much of what is called vegan is actually poisoned thoroughly these days.
My apologies for crudeness.

The_Algebraist

She'll get pretty darned warm if you leave it plugged in for hours. I've gotten much better about unplugging mine afer using it. I've found that the temperatures, if plugged in too long, get too high and toast my herb too quickly. You'll find the sweet spot. With my Purpleheart twig it's optimal performance at 10min-25 minutes after warmup. Leaving it plugged in longer takes it too far (for me)

Well, I did say I would do pictures!

First impressions: Wow. I put the aromatherapy cup on while the Underdog was heating up and my room (and pretty much my entire basement) had the beautiful scent of peppermint within 45 minutes. The wood on the Underdog itself is absolutely gorgeous. Dave sold it as a Lost Dog, but I believe that is far too harsh. =) There is a small "chip" where the unit connects to the power supply, but it looks natural as it goes with the grain (you can see in the 4th picture). The bocote is something that I catch my self spacing out to, as the natural figuring is quite the eye catcher. I'm actually fairly surprised at how small the Underdog is! It comfortably fits in my hand, but still feels very substantial.

As far as performance goes, I'm going to have to give it a few more goes to reach a final verdict. That being said, initial testing seems VERY promising. Keep in mind that my only vaping experiences before this have been on a MFLB, and even that tiny thing can knock me down.

I loaded around .1 grams of some Sour Crack into the glass wand and took a long nice slow draw. I had to stop halfway through due to how much vapor I was getting! Wow, definitely was not anticipating that! I coughed/slobbered and got a tad bit of my bowl wet, which is gross, sad, and completely my fault. xD Nonetheless, I continued to take draws (which were notably quicker) and got another five or so cloudy hits. I emptied my ABV which was golden around the edges, dark brown in the center (I'm guessing my first draw was too slow), and green where I messed up. I was undoubtedly medicated. =)

Random thoughts:

1) Does not get nearly as hot to hold as I was expecting.
2) The power brick wall wort is gigantic.
3) A little goes a long way.
4) All the goodies really show that Dave is in it for the customer.
5) I would not be worried about ordering a Lost Dog, they're fantastic.
6) I think this vape, along with my MFLB, covers all my bases. ^.^
7) Forgive the iPhone pictures.

The whole set:
attachment

Diffusing:
attachment

The Bocote Twig:
attachment

Backside and "blemish":
attachment

The_Algebraist,
Reactions: underdog

NEVERnotWORKING

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA!
As requested, here are some photos of my UD.
I did perform some modifications. The gorilla glue was all removed including the power plug and hole. I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom for the very first shortened heating element I had made. The heating element is identical to what I use in the HI now. All of the silicone RTV was removed from the core and I rebuilt it so that it was a solid stack of star washers without the notched washer at the top. I then added a screen to prevent anything from falling into the core.
It is now a Vegan Dog and a real pleasure to use. Such a nice vaporizer.
Does anyone else have any photos of a Vegan Dog they wish to share?

Hey Alan, that is a really nice looking UD and the changes you implement is really well done, you have skills sir :tup: . I respect your opinion as well as Dave's - but I would have to agree with Rick. Your comments come off as underhanded, it might not have been your intention but it can be read that way. I appreciate your candor though it lacks a little tack. :peace:

mod note: Please report posts that you feel are out of bounds instead of commenting on them. Let's move on and stay on topic.

NEVERnotWORKING,
Reactions: Nbajunkie

upperlevel

Hey, this has probably been asked a few times, but the proper search terms I cannot find.
I have experienced it a few times where a few variables come together to form a situation where the UD actually cauees combustion of plant material. In the past 6 months this jas happened about 3 times to me. What happeens ismy bubbler fills up with a white smoke with a hint of yellow. If accidentally inhaled, this is somehow MUCH harsher than any normal smoke I have experienced.
Now I know how to prevent this, simply move the screen further away and tale shorter and less deep hits. My question is what males this smoke so harsh? Is the silicone being burnt? That seems like it would be dangerous.

upperlevel,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
The silicone is not being burnt. If the airflow becomes too restricted the UD is capable of producing enough heat to cause combustion. This is very rare though and results from a couple of factors. Usually too fine of a grind packed too tightly but there are others ways it can happen. A clogged screen being one of them.

that herb guy

My question is what males this smoke so harsh? Is the silicone being burnt? That seems like it would be dangerous.

Honestly from the couple of times it's happened to me, I think it's just the taste/sensation of switching from vapor to smoke mid draw. Kind of bitter, harsh, but after a good shake out of the contents when I did accidentally combust a little I've never had black/melted patches that looked like they'd been burnt on the stem.

That being said, it could (need that MDF or whatever safety sheet to be definite I suppose) be hot enough to off-gas a little. What I do is just sacrifice the hit when I see the smoke change, take out the stem and downstem, and blow the smoke out from where you were drawing it into the piece. Ex. - if you're just using a standard straight tube, take out your downstem and blow the smoke/vapor out from the bottom and it will blow out the mouthpiece and dissipate. Won't cause any water level changes and you can go right back to vaping as soon as you re-pack and clean out your stem. Saves you risking inhaling anything you don't want to be, even if it's a minute chance.

Just make sure you're holding the heater above the flower a little instead of resting it on top. I rotate the UD a little in the stem to make sure there's still a little fresh air flow and nothing is touching one hot spot for too long.

that herb guy,

Crohnie

Crohn's Warrior
Just wondering what other members of the Dog Pound think of the differences between hitting the UD with the silicone stem and the glass stem. Personally, I enjoy both, but seem to gravitate to the silicone stem most of the time for some reason...not sure why. :shrug:

For me, the glass stem works best with small amounts at high temps on my VVPS. The glass has slightly more restricted air flow, but gives kickass clouds at 13V and of course, great flavor. I use it when I need to get medicated quickly or, much more infrequently, when I just feel like getting toasted quickly. :ko:

The silicone stem works well with small amounts, but I like to fill it 1/3 to 1/2 full since, IMO, it seems to work better with larger loads than the glass stem. The air flow in the silicone stem is even easier than the glass stem and works well at all temps. Best performance seems to come from starting at 12V and gradually working up to 13.5V or so. Taste is only slightly less enjoyable.

What do you think, Dogs? Glass or Silicone?

I_wanted_truth

Just wondering what other members of the Dog Pound think of the differences between hitting the UD with the silicone stem and the glass stem. Personally, I enjoy both, but seem to gravitate to the silicone stem most of the time for some reason...not sure why. :shrug:

For me, the glass stem works best with small amounts at high temps on my VVPS. The glass has slightly more restricted air flow, but gives kickass clouds at 13V and of course, great flavor. I use it when I need to get medicated quickly or, much more infrequently, when I just feel like getting toasted quickly. :ko:

The silicone stem works well with small amounts, but I like to fill it 1/3 to 1/2 full since, IMO, it seems to work better with larger loads than the glass stem. The air flow in the silicone stem is even easier than the glass stem and works well at all temps. Best performance seems to come from starting at 12V and gradually working up to 13.5V or so. Taste is only slightly less enjoyable.

What do you think, Dogs? Glass or Silicone?

I like the silicone better myself, though I haven't used the glass stem a ton.

Finer screens. Tighter seal on heat port. Thicker tubing probably insulates stem load and roasts even darker. Like how the curvature of the silicone screens seems to "grip" small stem loads.

I_wanted_truth,
Reactions: Crohnie

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey Dogs hope you've all be having some fun, foggy days with your Dogs. We've sent out lots and lots of new Pups in the past few weeks, guess that's reflected in all the new faces around here, the mini-reviews and all the fog advisories. :lol:

I've been hard at work on more shop maintenance and upgrades, milling yet more wood and doing some 'spring cleaning' to boot. We've even had some time to work on some R&D projects the past week so maybe eventually that will lead to fun new toys on the website. :tup:

Also been hard at work slowly finishing up pieces for the next refresh, probably a couple weeks away still but the pieces are starting to pile up for it. Figured I'd drop in, answer some questions and respond to some of your posts and also drop a lineup of some of these upcoming pieces as a teaser.

So here you go, consider yourselves teased:

Lineup%282-16-13%29.jpg

@ Somestranger - wow thanks for taking the time to write and post such a detailed 'review' of your experience and your new Pup dude.. much appreciated. Also very glad to hear you're enjoying it so much, thanks!

@ NEVERnotWORKING - thanks for all the kind words and posting the pic of your UD, that Myrtle is special wood and I have a real soft spot for it.. I'm sure you can see why, it's so wildly cool looking, especially in person huh? :brow:

@ I_wanted_truth - thanks for the update man, happy to hear you're still enjoying that Tineo Pup. As far as measuring the voltage your power supply is putting out while under load there's not good/easy way to do it, it's going to require the stripping of some wires or something similar. The unloaded voltage of the power supply is going to be way high and not a real good indicator of anything. Any particular reason you're looking to measure the voltage?

@ Darkedhunter - thanks for the update and 'review', sounds like your UD is fitting in nicely in it's new home. I can't see your pictures though, not sure if it's just me or if they're broken for everyone but just figured I'd say something. :o

@ The_Algebraist - I've got a few pieces that run that same way for me, too hot if left on too long.. like you said it's all about finding that 'sweet spot', or toss a VVPS into the mix and dial it in just how you like it. Either way you're looking at a foggy Dog. :cool:

@ upperlevel - the stock power supply runs the UDs at pretty much max temp so you're frequently going to be right near the edge close to combustion.. restrict the airflow a bit either with a clogged screen, packed load, etc and POOF! there you are. :freak: It doesn't help that the stock power supplies are unregulated either so sometimes they run hotter and sometimes cooler, makes things harder to predict. Anyways, all that aside, not sure why the smoke would be any more harsh than any other but I can definitely say the silicone isn't burning, it just doesn't do that at non-blowtorch temps, it's also out of the air-path so no worries there. :cool: If I had to make a guess I'd think maybe the potency of the smoke on those occasions is because of resin or fine particulate going up with the sudden combustion and adding, well, particulate to the smoke. Just a theory though.. :2c:

:peace:

Top Bottom