Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
how long can the silicon stems be safely left on a UD?

Safely? Probably indefinitely.

Safety aside I don't like to leave mine on unless I plan on hitting it again within a minute or two. The more it's left on the faster it gets beat up, stretched out and needs replacing sooner. :2c:

underdog,
Reactions: darkrom

dorkus_molorkus

It appears that my heater core is loose. My UD has a rattle, I am assuming this is bad from what I have read from somewhere.

I hope it will be ok. My vino is my fave vape by far.

Dave any advice??

dorkus_molorkus,

underdog

Manufacturer
It appears that my heater core is loose. My UD has a rattle, I am assuming this is bad from what I have read from somewhere.

I hope it will be ok. My vino is my fave vape by far.

Dave any advice??

Oh no! Sorry to hear it dude. About the only DIY solution is to shim the core in place using something like strips of metal (or anything able to take the heat) slid down along the sides. Enough shimming and you can get it tightly held in place once again. This isn't a great option but it's the only non-destructive DIY one I've come up with so far.

The best option is to send it in for me to retrofit with the latest core revision which is better insulated and fitted in a way to make the core more secure against loosening in the future. Of course this is complicated by the fact that you're an international UD so the shipping isn't cheap. On the bright side if you do it this way you basically get back a brand new Dog. If you decide to go this route I would be willing to meet you in the middle and cover return shipping.

underdog,
Reactions: darkrom

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Sorry to hear that Dorkus. Is your core loose when the UD is cold too, or just when it's hot?

OhTheAgony,

Greenscreen

I came across a UK power supply for a wireless router in my room a few weeks ago.. I was gonna throw it away when i came across it as i don't even have the router itself anymore. Out of laziness i didn't throw it away and i came across it again last night.

It turns out it's 12v and plugs straight into my UD. I was worried it might harm my UD but thought it may give me higher temps as it plugged in directly to the UK mains, where as the one Dave sent me was a US one which was going through a converter.

I gambled and tried it and have been getting very dark brown ABV since, which is only reachable with higher temps on my other vapes. The clouds have gone from thick to even thicker :p .. Not throwing away this power supply turned out to be a right touch (or so i hope!)

I'm still a little worried my dog is in danger so I'm gonna list the specification that's written on the back of the plug to see if anyone can confirm... output 12v = 1.0A.. Input 220-230V - 50hz 0.2A

As far as i can see everything seems to be OK with this power supply in use, but i have made sure not to leave it on for more then very long just in case. I have been keeping a real close eye on it all.. one things for sure I'm getting even more phenomenal clouds with the change in power supply and will definitely have to get one for my brother before he tries his as this will give him the access to high temps that he will need.. providing its safe of course but from what I gather it appears to be.

Greenscreen,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Wow-thankyou, thats a very generous offer Dave.

One that I will kindly take you up on. pm sent

I love the fact that with the UD if something happens you KNOW Dave will take care of you the right way. Sucks to go without the underdog at all, but when you get it back with a new core you will love it even more. UD's don't die, they present you with chances for upgrades :science:

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ dorkus - response sent to your email, thanks.

@ griff - nice score dude, that power supply should work fine. Really we would want to know if it's regulated or not, if it is then it should put out 12v (or very close to it) if not then it could put out as much as 13-14v. If you have a multimeter you can check it's output voltage, ideally while it's attached to the Dog but that might prove difficult. Either way it's probably safe but I'd keep an eye on it and if you think it's 'too hot' then limit the usage of it.

@ darkrom - you guys take care of me so I do my best to reciprocate. Did Joe get his piece, is it what he wanted?

Alright I'm off to the shop, so many Dogs laying around this place that's it's getting hard to find a place to set my coffee cup down. That's good cause the website down to just 1 piece. :o

underdog,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Can't wait to see the new pieces Dave. My cousin is waiting to pick one out from this next batch.

Gonzo,

underdog

Manufacturer
I just pulled 5 more out of the incubator Gonzo.. we're getting closer. I want to have all 20 finished before I put them on the website so it'll be another day or two.

underdog,

Greenscreen

@ griff - nice score dude, that power supply should work fine. Really we would want to know if it's regulated or not, if it is then it should put out 12v (or very close to it)

From what i can tell after a little reading and sniffing around I'm pretty sure its regulated as its quite small and light.. but I'll certainly keep an eye on it for the time being and treat it like it is unregulated just to be sure.

Greenscreen,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I just pulled 5 more out of the incubator Gonzo.. we're getting closer. I want to have all 20 finished before I put them on the website so it'll be another day or two.

Exciting news. I understand it takes time to whip those pups into shape. That last batch on the website went pretty quickly. Hard to believe the Ebony piece is the the one left. I thought that would have been one of the first to go.

Gonzo,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I'm not sure whats going on with Joes piece. I know he's been using it and loving it. He says hes going to put a review sometime soon, hopefully tomorrow. I know the new power supply you sent him is apparently combusting when paired with the aqua vape and his bday dog which I find crazy. I'm still using the variable PSU and I guess he went back to using the old one. He really likes his twig in the car and that car adapter you have is MUCH higher quality than the energizer cable I used to replace my lost one.

darkrom,

jackmormon

Dave,

My PSU (the stock one you send out) is outputting 14.97 volts on my circuit. Should I be concerned about this? No problems and the performance is beyond lovely :bowdown:but all of the PSU discussion has me curious!

What is the best way to cut the silicone stem tubing cleanly? I have tried scissors and a kitchen knife. I end up with gnarled up ends on the tubing when I do this.

jackmormon,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ griff - sounds like a good plan dude, I'm sure it will work out fine but sometimes best to play it safe at first.

@ Gonzo - we're getting closer everyday, if i wasn't wanting to add them all at the same time they would have been up a week ago or more. Leave it to me to do things the hard way at times lol.

@ darkrom - glad to hear he likes it, interesting re: the b-day vape / aquavape combusting combo.. looking forward to hearing from him. Hope it fits in the car how he wanted it to.

@ jackmormon - is it outputting 14.97v while plugged into the Underdog (ie, under load) or unloaded? That would be about right for unloaded but quite high (too high really) for a loaded one. If it's working well for you then it's probably ok but keep your eye on it. As far as cutting the tubing I either use a tubing cutter or a blade out of a box cutter. I don't remember where I got the cutter but it looks like this one

Time for me to finish up a couple more pups, answer a few emails then enjoy some vapor and hit sack early tonight.. busy day in the shop tomorrow, hopefully the rain will stop by then. :peace:

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yeah he does like it and it does fit quite nice :) Excellent work.

If he just waited to test out mine he would have seen that mine fit perfectly fine too haha. Either way he ended up with a nice custom dog that fits great :tup:

darkrom,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
If I could offer a suggestion on cutting the silicone tubing. The main problem with cutting it is that it is flexible and moves. This leaves a jagged edge. If a solid object of the appropriate size is inserted into the tubing, it will remain perfectly round. Then you can hold a razor blade to it while you roll the tubing. This should give you about as good a cut as you can get. Don't try to cut all the way through on the first rotation. Just get it started and the razor will always follow the initial cut as you continue rolling back and forth. A wood or plastic rod would be the best so it doesn't dull the razor blade. Finding just the right size rod is the challenge. Maybe a plastic pen or 3/8" wooden dowel.
Happy cutting.

ll11

What's the air path like in these? I read earlier in the thread that a stainless steel heat core is used and that the stems are silicone or glass, wondering if that's it or if it passes through the wood as well.

ll11,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ darkrom - ah, thanks for letting me know it's working for him dude

@ TV - that's a great suggestion thanks! I think I've got some nice UHMW rods that would work great for that

@ ll11 - the current (and last 2 generations) cores and their air path are stainless steel and are sealed so there isn't any wood in or near the air path at the bottom. Incoming air passes over the wood at the top of the pieces where the stem is inserted but this isn't heated air so isn't a concern. Some of the very old pieces had silicone insulated wires in the air path but this hasn't been the practice for a few generation of pieces now. If you've got any other questions feel free to ask.. :peace:

underdog,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, I thought you were breeding real live flesh puppies when you mentioned that incubator Dave. What does it do exactly?

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
Haha nope not quite real flesh pups OTA lol.. that would be too cute though to have a herd of UDs galloping around the house.

The incubator I mentioned is what I do testing in. It's a climate controlled lidded wooden box wired with an industrial power supply, fans, volt/amp meters, etc. I put pieces in there for the burn-in/testing period and let them do their thing, keeps them all contained in one area instead of laying all over the place as they used to in the old days. I usually test 8-10 at a time in there but I think I've been able to fit up to 20 at once a few times. Maybe I'll grab a picture one of these days...

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Sounds incredibly professional. Dave if I were you I'd be broke because I'd be keeping all these vapes for myself hitting each one back to back haha.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
Sounds incredibly professional. Dave if I were you I'd be broke because I'd be keeping all these vapes for myself hitting each one back to back haha.

Haha the box works well but doesn't look particularly nice.. more like something that was hammered together one afternoon by a couple of hammer wielding angry monkeys which pretty well describes me at the time. It was the result of my trying to unplug a piece from the shelf they lived on previously and causing a domino effect that ended up dumping 10 UDs onto the floor, had to find a better solution.

Some days I'd love to sit here and hit all these UDs back to back to back but I doubt I'd get much done if I did and then, like you said, I'd be broke(r). :lol:

underdog,

djonkoman

a domino-effect isn't that bad, I sometimes joke that my desk(well, it once was) has plate tectonics, it's isn't as worse as it once was but I've had times where everytime if I put something on top something at the bottom would fall off.
and my planttable(under the window, there and on the shelves above it I keep most of my plants) looks like it's being maintained by a monkey, but without hammer tough. right now the eyecatcher is a mini-greenhouse with seedlings(corn, lemon balm and amaranth) resting on top of a a pot with only soil on one side and a pot with a dead pepperplant on the other side(tried to keep it inside for the winter, but it died)

djonkoman,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Some days I'd love to sit here and hit all these UDs back to back to back but I doubt I'd get much done if I did and then, like you said, I'd be broke(r). :lol:

Nothing wrong with hitting them thanks to your design its only the stem that gets used. The dog itself is still good as new. I'd hit them all anyway :science:

darkrom,
Top Bottom