Underdog Log Vapes

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, I thought about that when I posted that Dorkus. Posting it in the Cloud thread would probably lead to my first infraction here on FC :lol:

What sort of budget do you have in mind HES, and what do you want it to do? I think you should count on around 50 euro's or dollars for a reliable bench-type PSU. The tattoo ones are a lot cheaper but would require some minor tinkering.

OhTheAgony,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
hmm well i was hoping to not have to go over the $50 mark but looks like i might have to. essentially i want my UD to run hotter during use because i find that my ABV is a tad lighter than i would like it to be but want to be able to bring it back down to 12V while it's sitting around. maybe for now i'll just have keep to my strategy of wrapping a towel around my UD and ask for a pay increase at work :rolleyes:

HighlyEducatedScholar,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Well, you could also get a cheaper 13,8V like I did, or perhaps something like 13,5 or 13,2V if you can find one because 13,8V is already a bit too hot if you want to leave it on it for hours and hours at a time. Or at least that's the case with mine, that's why I'm trying that dimmer switch now. At the moment I'm just switching plugs back and fort between my 12V and my 13,8V and well, it's not ideal.

But I think Dave posted a nice one that was around 50US$ included shipping if I remember correctly, perhaps he can post it again? It was something like this. But this or this would also work. Al links posted were based upon the assumption you're in the USA btw. I've ordered this one myself. What you want is a variable PSU rated up to a minimum of 15V and 1,5A or 1500mAh.

OhTheAgony,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
The ones I used to carry are the third on OTA linked to: Tekpower HY-1502 (or on Amazon) and they work great. You need a cable that has banana plugs on one end and a standard 2.1mm DC barrel on the other and can pretty easily make your own or buy one from me if you don't feel adventurous.

underdog,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I use the third one you posted OTA....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tekpower-HY...ultDomain_0&hash=item2ebcdb04a2#ht_500wt_1075

I think a few other UD owners/FC members use it as well. It has worked extremely well and I would definitely recommend it. I may be mistaken but I believe Dave will be selling the connectors and cables for this style VVPS. I'm sure he will chime in.

On another note, my new pup should be on it's way here tomorrow...
[quote="
IMG_2732w.JPG

[/quote]

Will post some photos of her in her new home when she arrives. Thank you once again Dave for the excellent customer service.

*Edit* Dave beat me to it about the VVPS adaptor

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
wow thanks for all the great responses! but...

after changing my draw speed and technique i don't think i need a higher voltage PSU cause im able to get the ABV as dark as i want. im also getting more huge clouds! looks like i can save myself a couple bucks now :lol:

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Reactions: placetime

sunsett70

wow thanks for all the great responses! but...

after changing my draw speed and technique i don't think i need a higher voltage PSU cause im able to get the ABV as dark as i want. im also getting more huge clouds! looks like i can save myself a couple bucks now :lol:

with all the variable volt stuff, seems like the original power supply may be underpowered (for some users) ? what specific changes in draw speed and technique are u talking about?

sunsett70,

djonkoman

a quick comparison of stems, since I've been using the silicone stemn a lot now, for hash.

the glass stem feels god on your lips and n your hand, and is for me more aesthatically pleasing. I use my glass stem for weed. but, hash doesn't really work in the glass stem.

the silicone stem is less of a looker, has a bigger opening and has the tendency to provide a jet of vapor to the back of your troath, wich can irritate some especially after longer use. the glass one has a smaller opening, and the strem is thinner and so easier to block it from shooting at the back of your troath with your tongue.

at first I found that the glass one had more restriction, since the inner diameter is smaller and at the mouthend it's even more tampered down to a hole smaller then the inner diameter.
but now I have noticed a second factor. the silicone of the silicone stem is thicker as the silicon used for the bowl of the glass stem, and so the airflow into the unit is more restricted with the silicone as with the glass.
also the shape of the screen in the slicone stem, and that there isn't tapering down beneath the screen, probably help with vaping hash.

at first I noticed some added taste with the sicon, but that's not much anymore. I would still rate the glass a bit better for taste tough.
the glass one I've cleaned a few times now, not an extensive cleaning, just scraping the inside a bit with a metal rod/stick, the product of that is comparable to good quality hash but with less taste

just replaced the stem in the slicone again(hash gunks up the screen quickly), since the silicone also has some particulates stuck in it I tried the same scraping method, but turns out the silicone yields nearly nothing. also not much resin stuck in it. so the glass requires more cleaning
the silicone does get a bit a dirty look, a yellowish hue. my glas stem also looks kind of dirty tough, but I think the glass would be easier to get spotless clean if you want to.

all in all I think for optimal enjoyment of the dog you should have both, and luckily dave also suplies both in the standard kit.
I like the glass best for small amounts of weed, kief is also great(huge clouds even on my lower temp), for sipping
the silicone is nice for hash, and my 2nd silicone stem I've mostly used for lower quality weed trough my beerbottlebubbler so far
also some weed wich has a bad taste, it's from some roaches from my first harvest I found. still has a very good high, I tried it out for nostalgiareasons, to see what the effect of my first harvest was again. direct draw tasted nasty, but trough the beerbottlebubbler the taste disappears partly.
strangely tough the abv of this weed gets much darker as other weed, darkbrown

djonkoman,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
with all the variable volt stuff, seems like the original power supply may be underpowered (for some users) ? what specific changes in draw speed and technique are u talking about?

i think my UD just needed a break in period or something combined with my change in draw speed/technique. compared my draw speed before, now i'm drawing slower, more consistent, longer and drawing more from the lungs than mouth. i also found that i used to pack too small of an amount so that the herb is not close enough to the heat port. i've only had my UD for less than two weeks at this point and jumped to conclusions a bit too quickly. last night i was able to get my ABV real dark and with the first couple attempts being way to dark actually because i had a few black bits at the end of my bowl. as of now i'm completely satisfied with my UD!

although i've discovered one small problem...now that my vapor needs have been met (and surpassed ;)), i've found myself to start looking at quality glass to compliment my quality vaporizer. especially those bubb's made by mobius *drool*

HighlyEducatedScholar,
Reactions: sunsett70

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, I too can't stop looking at those, the Ion Reti in particular. I just keep telling myself they're to expensive for what they are, but it just keeps on tempting me :uhoh:

Good thing you figured out how to get your UD up to proper temps anyways :tup:

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Awfully quiet around here again, is this what happens when I'm away or can no one find the thread through the Fog? :p

Busy day here in the Doghouse.. :ko: Sent a bunch of packages out first thing this morning, then worked on welding until lunch. Been working since after lunch on Twigs, should have 10-12 finished before calling it quits for the night.

No pictures but what I've worked on today are (Twigs): Ash, Mahogany, Red Oak, 3 Walnut, Ambrosia Maple, 2 Teak, Pecan, Basswood and a Tupelo. Whew, this dog is gonna sleep tonight!

Working double-shifts to get caught up on all custom orders and getting pieces ready for a website refresh.. gotta hustle since more equipment is coming in late in the week. :rockon:

:peace:

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
Wow Dave, that's quite a day. Can't wait to see the new pieces. Knowing how hot my full size Tupelo piece runs, I am willing to bet the Tupelo Twig is gonna be warm to say the least.

Gonzo,

HighlyEducatedScholar

Student of Vapor
i've come to love how much you can taste the herb with a UD. i had the MFLB but felt that with such a close distance from the heat source it would burn my tongue leaving me not able to taste. however, this i found is definitely not the case with my UD. the first hit is always packed with flavor!

HighlyEducatedScholar,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yay, it's about time we get to welcome some new dogs :tup:

So your ambrosia maple is done curing already? I thought it would be a while longer. Really looking forward to seeing what you got there :brow:

Interesting write up btw Djonko, but perhaps you could include some pics? I have the old style glass stem and I can't really picture the new one (and it still isn't on the website either it seems) which I assume you have. I still need to fix mine btw. I tried melting it so the cracks would disappear but I ran out of gas just as I was starting to get that red glow, lol.

Do you have any experience vaping 'sneeuwwitje' btw? I have some for the first time. It looks great, tastes great and works alright, but I can't seem to get it to vape past a certain point. I'm still not sure if my UD isn't getting hot enough again or that it's my weed, but this stuff just wont seem to brown for some reason.

OhTheAgony,

sunsett70

i think my UD just needed a break in period or something .........
although i've discovered one small problem...now that my vapor needs have been met (and surpassed ;)), i've found myself to start looking at quality glass to compliment my quality vaporizer. especially those bubb's made by mobius *drool*

oh no, you too eh! :) i too have started looking at glass, water moistured vapor is very nice.

sunsett70,

djonkoman

no, never vaped sneeuwwitje, I think a friend, who is only an ocassional smoker, said he got it a while back and was positive about it, but that was combusted ofcourse. maybe I can try vaping some next time we get together to smoke, I think it was his las pickup and since he doesn't smoke often it always lasts him long, so great chance he still has it
I've once seen a topic somewhere around here with someone with a similar problem, and I also have noticed differences in how different strains vape. in my VG I noticed for example that often coffeeshopweed easily realeases huge clouds, but also scorches easily, while my own harvest could take a lot more abuse, and still vape without a trace of torching. and release more blue clouds instead of more white-ish
I'll try to make a pic, still have to make one of the dog too, but it's always such ahassle with the memorycards, uploading etc.
but the new glass stems are pretty simple. you basically have a glass straw(with some details like a rim at the mouthend etc), the bowl is just a piece of silicone. this silicone is a bit softer/more supple(soepel) as the silicone stems. I think the inner diameter is the same, but the outside diameter is smaller, the silicone itself is thinner.
this piece of silicone makes a good fot around the glass, the screen fits insde the silicone(not in an archform like the silicone stems, but just flat), but since the glass is also inside the silicone the screen rests on the edge of the glass. this also makes the bowlsize easy to change, just slide in the glass a bit more or less and move the screen with it.

I also like the taste of that first hit:ko: and since mine is a little lower in temp the taste is even better, and is still present in the 2nd and 3rd hit but less strong as the 1st. taste almost lasts as long as the stem itself, altough my nose isn't always good enough to keep tasting it since it does get less intense

I've alsi had it busy, but now early weekend, came home, plugged in the dog, went to bed(slept 4-5 hours past 2 nights, and last week too), hade some weird viid dreams and woke up to a warmed up dog, to cure the weirdness of sleeping during the day... that's life:)

djonkoman,

sunsett70

''I just keep watching those Cloud video's thinking "that thing has got nothing on my Dog, I don't get what all the fuzz is about".

Ive been wondering the same thing as well. I cant wait to hear from someone who has the both of them.
but the cloudage I am getting from my ud is nothing short of amazing. Its difficult to imagine anything being better than my UD.

I just didnt want to be the 1st to say it for fear of being flamed by cloud fanbois.

:lol: lolz OTA- imagine if you went over to the cloud thread and said that. :worms:

Im sure it would be a robust discussion. :D
i think a friendly lil' 'bark' would be ok. would be interesting to see what a Cloud user thinks of the ud, if he's used the ud before! :)

sunsett70,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
That is a very early weekend indeed Djonko, enjoy!

I think this is actually a great weed to mix with hash since it doesn't brown easily. Lets put that to the test straight away :brow:

I'd like to taste of my UD without water again sometime, especially a first hit. I think I only did that once when I first got it and hadn't noticed my glass stem was cracked yet. I refuse to put those silicons in my mouth, lol.

My variable PSU came in btw. I posted a little more about it in the regulated power supply thread, but I think the sweetspot for me with my Ash bullet is gonna be somewhere around 13,3V. My UD never takes more than 0,5A btw, is that normal Dave? I thought it would be a little more than that? I've verified it with my mulitmeter btw. It sometimes goes down to 0,4A, but not for long usually.

Another great advantage of the display on the PSU is that you can tell right away when the plug doesn't properly connect to the UD btw. Very comforting if you worry a lot, like I do, ha!

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

if I remember correctly, before when I got my dog I asked dave by mail for the powerconsumption since I would buy my own, and he said the actual amperage is indeed 0,5 , 0,8 is his recommebded minimum for the adaptors t have some extra reserve-room build in

djonkoman,

Greenscreen

Ah man, my UD's arrive tomorrow and being UK based it has been a long wait for me.
i simply can't wait :lol: .. especially when reading this thread and hearing about the clouds the UD's are meant to give out..

Will post my thoughts in the coming weeks and will probably have a few pics and vids to show off as well :)

Couple of random questions that i'll be unlikely to get an answer too but worth a go:

Has anyone tried using their UD to vape more old school traditional type hash's such as pollen, charas, squidgy black, red leb, etc?

Does anyone in the Netherlands own a UD yet? I was half thinking about taking my UD to Amsterdam for 420.. however in terms of power supply i have no idea what to look for / how to ask or where to buy it?

I'd imagine i'll end up taking a different vape and leaving my precious new UD at home anyway but any help towards acquiring a functional power supply whilst I'm in the Dam, would be most appreciated.

Greenscreen,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Hey Griff, good thing your wait is almost over :tup: You ordered two straight away? Which ones if I may ask?

As far as I know Djonko and I are the only dutch UDs so far. You can use whatever you use in the UK over here as long as you bring a EU plug adapter, or buy one over here of course.

But if you kept up with the thread you must know that some of us 220V users have had some problems getting a UD up to temps on just 12V. You might want to go for something that can give you a little more power if you're a high temp user. Would you happen to have a variable PSU perhaps?

Hash seems to work pretty good in the UD. It actually does everything well as long as you use it on the right voltage :D

Thanks for the conformation Djonko!

OhTheAgony,

djonkoman

^what he said
I have some nepalhash at the moment, even at the lower temp(12 volts, wich is a lower temp here in the EU as OTA said) it works well, altough on this temp with hash you won't get clouds. and a stem lasts pretty long. if you have a higher tolerance or like bigger clouds, a higher voltage would probably be better in the case of hash. but for me it works fine like this, I get plenty high from a small amount of hash. and good taste
in my experience the glass stem doesn't work as well with hash tough, I use the silicone for hash(screen placed higher, so the edges touch the heatport when you push it in), the glass for weed. could be the glass does work better with hash on higher voltage tough, but I don't have a higher voltage adaptor. not yet at least.

and on power suplies, check also the thread in 'vapor related equipment' out for more on power suplies for log vapes

djonkoman,

Greenscreen

Hey Griff, good thing your wait is almost over :tup: You ordered two straight away? Which ones if I may ask?

As far as I know Djonko and I are the only dutch UDs so far. You can use whatever you use in the UK over here as long as you bring a EU plug adapter, or buy one over here of course.

But if you kept up with the thread you must know that some of us 220V users have had some problems getting a UD up to temps on just 12V. You might want to go for something that can give you a little more power if you're a high temp user. Would you happen to have a variable PSU perhaps?

Hash seems to work pretty good in the UD. It actually does everything well as long as you use it on the right voltage :D

Thanks for the conformation Djonko!

I went for two UD's as i plan to give one to my brother as a present (his one is a black and tan twig).. He used to smoke in his younger days and still has a soft spot for weed but with a wife and 2 kids, he found himself to busy and had to much on his plate to smoke cannabis anymore...

he left it behind for years but still misses it some what to this day... he borrowed my i0lite but said it put him off vaping as the high was to subtle and complained that he missed combustion... i figured this little twig would be higher temps and would suit his needs more... he also complained that vaporizing had a lack of character compared to the ritual of skinning and smoking joints ... i figured these UD's are full of character and would suit his needs both with the character and the effects given from the higher temps..

I have read the whole thread through but obviously did not digest the information as well as i thought i had as i was unaware of the issues going on with temps and hash in the EU :doh: ... i will try my dogs when they're here, hopefully they will be hot enough for me and i won't have to invest in a PSU, although if some good hash comes around then i might have to invest and experiment further with the higher temps :p

Ohtheagony and Djonko thanks a lot for the help - It's honestly really appreciated... im going straight from here to the thread on vapor related equipment to read and learn more about power supplies for log vapes (exactly what i've been wanting to learn but didn't know where - funnily enough)

Oh and the other UD i purchased is the claro curves piece .. there's a picture of it somewhere in the last 5-10 pages of this thread ... can't wait to join the pack! :D

Greenscreen,

dorkus_molorkus

over here in oz, my UD didnt get hot enough. I picked up another PS for $32 aud locally, it has several voltage settings & does the job just handsomely at 13.5v. If I need my UD to heat up quick, I will set it to 15v for a few mins to give it a head start, but not too long it gets pretty hot.

At this point on my vaping journey, I find it difficult to imagine ever needing another vape.
Between my solo & the UD vino, all of my needs are met & exceeded.

I only use my solo when i am waiting for my UD to heat up or when guests come, having no cord makes it easier for vapor noobs.

My desire for the cloud has tapered, I think I will just buy some nice glass instead. (or lots of cheap glass, I am a bit of clutz) GC must be having a 420 sale soon, time to buy some new toys.

Coffees hot, UD's hot!- GTG :peace:

dorkus_molorkus,
Top Bottom