RelaxedNow

Doh! 3.8V (resting) is not a low battery, it's above the nominal voltage! You should be able to drain them down to 3.2V on the VTC mini. I try to cut at 3.4V in all my devices. You're wasting a lot of charge per cycle.

If you get errors at 3.8V then you are definitely putting too much strain on your cells. I hate sounding like a broken record though...

Well it's simple, try lowering your Watts to 40W and see if that changes anything. You can revert at any time.

PS: PID settings will possibly not be optimal for this setting so at first watch the temperature without drawing and see if it overshoots or exhibits other weird behaviours. You'd also have to lower your draw speed of course, less power to counteract.

I've tried lower wattage and settings other than PID, and it does work well enough, but I definitely prefer PID at 70 watts.

I really don't care about wasting charge.....batteries are cheap. I wouldn't think straining them is a concern, because they never get warm at all. Why worry, I say.

Vape Donkey 650

All vape, no smoke please.
as promised, at least one video, with my favorite hydratube, for my tubo'ers :bowdown:

6XCIcaJ.jpg

Just a casual cruise at 380 i think, i omitted the brief warm-up period and first couple hits to cut to the cloudy middle. A typical session lasts 5-8 minutes for me, who wants to watch all that? :D

Focus: the abv
2h7ivLR.jpg

Focus: the same flowers, fresh, un-vaped (i dropped a couple fresh specs into the vaped d'oh :doh:
r35BKpK.jpg

Next up I want to connect the tubo to some of my dab rigs with 18mm elbows and high-airflow 1/2" tubing, just like I used my EQ with the DDave modds....

If I can be un-lazy enough maybe I'll post my complete review soon, but it's still good so far :)

woahbackup

I just picked up my tubo from the post office! I can't wait til i get back home from work to try this bad boy out.

Edit: (so I don't dp)
Just got to it! So if I understand correctly, I put the green into the stem and close the basket screen over it?
Also any tips? I read about a cruise control mode or something, what's that about?

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

Does anyone else get an error trying view @funkyjunky's profile? I went there to see if the website address was in there before I noticed it was his caption and I've noticed it erroring out for a couple of days now.

http://fuckcombustion.com/members/funkyjunky.15372/

I just thought it was weird.
I just followed the link and it just said that this user limits what some people can see on their profile. He's just hiding.

Tubo has landed and we're getting along just dandy!

qT9yjRk.jpg

One load thru cruisin' at 390F and finishing at 430F for the fun of it. Taste seems great, heat up time is nice, I think we're going to have some fun. I did try some of that bown with the whip, could be a bit longer, but it's nice and smoooooth.

U2iFmAH.jpg

Off to do some playing and reading. All this time to read up again until it arrives and what do I do.......:freak:

Bdubbdiblets

Just figured out cruise control and it is so much better already.
Yea me too....kinda silly I've been hesitating as I figured there was more involved with entering cruise. Ha! You click fire twice..:doh:..umm...i can spell technology...:wave:..anyway..it blew my mind how easy it is and how much bigger the hits were in cruise...seriously love this thing...I feel almost bad that more people don't have one of these..almost like I'm getting away with something...:brow:..Id be very surprised if Tubo didn't gain popularity as FJ gets the store going etc...

I shoulda cruised a long time ago...magical medicating Tubo:bowdown:

Off to cruise through a big herb wax sammie..

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

virtualpurple

I just picked up my tubo yesterday. Had to go straight to work but man am I itching to get to it cranking out the heat.

What are the upper limit temperatures we can explore before verging combustion territory? I believe I've seen some people posting up temps around 550 or above?

I'm going to start working my way backwards to see if I can stumble on the answer, but anyone feel free to set me straight!

RelaxedNow

I just picked up my tubo yesterday. Had to go straight to work but man am I itching to get to it cranking out the heat.

What are the upper limit temperatures we can explore before verging combustion territory? I believe I've seen some people posting up temps around 550 or above?

I'm going to start working my way backwards to see if I can stumble on the answer, but anyone feel free to set me straight!

The linked thread below might help, but you'll have to decipher it for yourself, as much of it seems to be opinion or uncertain science. Personally, the highest I've gone with the Tubo was 420F, with a whip. I don't use water, so I've had no desire to test the limits.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/marijuana-and-vaporization-temperatures.35/

Last edited:

funkyjunky

www.lamart.ch
Manufacturer
the temperature scale is limited to 500F. the displayed temperatures are not exact but a good guide line. the distance of the material to the heater makes a difference, i.e. basket screen close to the heater is hotter than glass bowl farther away. also altho i calibrate them all in the same manner i dont think the procedure is exact either, not all tubos are tuned exactly the same.
however, you can fine tune it yourself by adjusting the resistance up (if you think its too cold when comparing to displayd temperature) or down (if its running too hot), details are in the manual or on tubo.lamart.ch
id be catious above ~430F, you can really dance on the line to combustion.

had a minor tubo invasion today! :D
sJIz8zn.png

have a good start into the weekend everybody!

Gray Area

:o wow, they look fantastic all lined up like that :clap:

Was wondering what (if anything at all) folk are using to treat the wood casing? I'm assuming the usual sort of stuff would be fine... I have a tin of Ed's bomb ass butter I was planning on using...

BigJr48

hello!

yes, i am thrilled there is a ddave tubo evic section! :D

i have news from the tubo510 aka TUBOx, i re-did mine to the final version. am quite satisfied with how it turned out:
W5PbVPR.png

the connector is in there so the heating element could be adapted to the power adapter in the future. i am debating on coloring it black or another color. could be a direct connection as well if that is preferred. i am not yet set on final price, its going to be around $100, without the mod of course.

on the tubo evic front: more and more tubos are assembled. they are lining up for painting/finishing/calibration. hope to have a killer pic soon :)

hf!

TUBOx Awesome!!! Wish I could've known about the TuboEvic before all the commercial vaporizers on the market.
@funkyjunky please put me on a pre-order list as soon as the TUBOx is available, thanks.

virtualpurple

What is the preferred method for concentrates with this device?

I have @DDave's concentration chamber and I loaded some shatter into stainless steel mesh and tried using the tubo at 500, but i didn't seem to be having a ton of luck. I loaded that stem in my Zion and threw the temp up as high as I could and was able to make it work.

This tubo is killing it with cruise mode! I've done a few small loads and a couple larger ones and the tubo is handling them all quite well! Very even, no dark spots, just incredible.

vapen00b

Many vapes & accessories. Always happy to help
:o wow, they look fantastic all lined up like that :clap:

Was wondering what (if anything at all) folk are using to treat the wood casing? I'm assuming the usual sort of stuff would be fine... I have a tin of Ed's bomb ass butter I was planning on using...

I did use some of that and it will solve some of the color (if you have a acrylic colored one) when you wipe off what remains... Not immediately killing the color, but over time it will become more pale.

Vape Donkey 650

Are any of those wood treatments safe / unsafe to use since it will be heated up and you'll be drawing your intake air from that?

Has anyone tried some Sony VTC6 batteries with their tubo?

They are rated for 20amp discharge, higher than the samsung 30Q's that are recommended, and still have 3000mah capacity, so maybe VTC6's will allow themselves to deeply and more fully discharge during a tubo session, maybe down to 25-33%... 3.6v or so? instead of only being able to discharge down to about 40-50% and 3.7v or a little less with 30Q's.

Regarding the cruise mode, and battery life, I've found you can't really enter cruise mode (or on-demand) when the battery is at 3.7v or lower. Sometimes even at 3.8v when warm, it can be tough to enter a cruise. I found one little trick to get the last cruise from a low-ish battery that I think has been mentioned before: (Prolusio maybe?)

When battery is lower, try warming up with on-demand mode at first, let the coils reach their temp for a few seconds, then let go of the button and immediately double click to enter cruise mode.

Sometimes this works to get the last cruise in, maybe not all the time :shrug:

Also, if you enter a cruise with a low battery, and then RIP the tubo hella hard, forcing max watts on the heaters and max amps on the battery, it may kick-out from cruise mode :(

Also, to query my tubo veterans:

Is there any consensus on what is the best type of screen to use to cap off your tubo bowl?

Basket screen? RBT screen? New DDave rim-less screen? ELB?

I've only had basket screens so far, and they're letting me down some. :( As @muunch and maybe others have surmised, it seems the basket screens can conduct alot of heat, especially if used back-to-back over many sessions rapidly.

Especially if you have some old ones with the thicker metal rims from older vapes like me. :doh:

It seems a basket screen can even conduct enough heat to combust your herbs if it falls out and falls into the bowl. On one of my early sessions, I used an old mushy, bent-out-of-shape basket screen on my m/m WPA, and after a few hits, only at 390F, it fell out of the stem into my bowl and it left a charred blackened donut of herbs underneath it! :o Good thing I had a large hydratube on top, it didn't really harsh me out or make me cough, it just tasted not-so-great. And luckily, it left no blackened marks or foul taste on the tubo. Careful with those basket screens, folks, I think there must be better options..... :sherlock: :hmm:

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

Are you sure? The little battery guide that @FJ gives with the tubo says the VTC6 to be 20amp, which is what I previously understood.

A local vape shop that I've bought from before and I accept their spams to see their deals, just sent me an ad for VTC6s, and it says 20amp.

But then it also says rated by sony at 15amp, up to 30amp, what's the real deal here?

101vape said:
Sony VTC6 18650 3000mAh 20A Battery (Pair)
  • Brand: Sony Energy
  • Model: US18650VTC6
  • Size: 18650
  • Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
  • Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
  • Discharge: 20A Max Continuous, Rated by Sony as 15A Max Continuous or 30A Max Continuous with 80C temperature cutoff
  • Positive: Flat
  • Protected: No

I bought a squad of 30Q's from this place and they seem legit, working fine, not counterfeit. Just thinking the sony 6's might work just a little better

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
The Sony VTC6 is a 15A 3000 mAh battery, same specs as the Samsung 30Q but different chemistry.
Well are there different VTC6 ? Mine is 30 A 3000 mAh

VTC6 Battery Specs:

• Nominal Capacity: 3120mAh
  • Rated Capacity: 3000mAh
  • Max Continuous Discharge Current for temp. up to 80 degrees Celsius: 30A
  • Max Continuous Discharge Current: 20A
  • Nominal Voltage: 3.6V/3.7V
  • Full charge Voltage: 4.2V
  • Internal Impedance 13 mΩ measured by AC 1kHz
  • Diameter 18.45mm max +/- 0.05mm
  • Length 65mm max +/- 0.05mm
  • Weight: 47 g Average
  • Positive terminal: Flat top
  • Color: Green
  • Battery Type / shape: 18650 / Cylindrical
  • Made in Japan
  • Manufacturer: Sony Energy
  • Intended use: Power Battery packs

BigJr48

Are you sure? The little battery guide that @FJ gives with the tubo says the VTC6 to be 20amp, which is what I previously understood.

A local vape shop that I've bought from before and I accept their spams to see their deals, just sent me an ad for VTC6s, and it says 20amp.

But then it also says rated by sony at 15amp, up to 30amp, what's the real deal with?

I bought a squad of 30Q's from this place and they seem legit, working fine, not counterfeit. Just thinking the sony 6's might work just a little better

Well are there different VTC6 ? Mine is 30 A 3000 mAh

VTC6 Battery Specs:

• Nominal Capacity: 3120mAh
  • Rated Capacity: 3000mAh
  • Max Continuous Discharge Current for temp. up to 80 degrees Celsius: 30A
  • Max Continuous Discharge Current: 20A
  • Nominal Voltage: 3.6V/3.7V
  • Full charge Voltage: 4.2V
  • Internal Impedance 13 mΩ measured by AC 1kHz
  • Diameter 18.45mm max +/- 0.05mm
  • Length 65mm max +/- 0.05mm
  • Weight: 47 g Average
  • Positive terminal: Flat top
  • Color: Green
  • Battery Type / shape: 18650 / Cylindrical
  • Made in Japan
  • Manufacturer: Sony Energy
  • Intended use: Power Battery packs
I purchased mine from imrbatteries.com, according to their written description and specs:
  • Brand: Sony Energy
  • Model: US18650VTC6
  • Size: 18650
  • Chemistry: NMC
  • Nominal Capacity: 3000mAh
  • Nominal Voltage: 3.6V
  • Discharge: 15A Max Continuous or 30A Max Continuous with 80C temperature cutoff
  • Positive: Flat
  • Protected: NO, UNPROTECTED
  • Rechargeable: Yes
  • Dimensions: 18.2mm x 64.9mm
  • Weight: 46.8g
The VTC6 & 30Q I keep in rotation and found to the best for the IQ.

Last edited:

Vape Donkey 650

Looks like we got some conflicting info here. Are there multiple types of VTC6? someone go plug in some VTC6's into their tubo and go furiously vape them down to max tubo-discharge for us, and tell us how low they will go! do it for science! haha :science: :ko:

I got a couple of VTC6s floating around in my armada of box mods right now, but I don't feel like hunting them down and topping them off. I feel vaped enough for now ATM.....:suspicious:

Also, if any of you tubo veterans can school me on screens,
thanks in advance? I think I need to give the new DDave screens a try, though. :hmm:

It looks lile DDave is on vacation, not good for me getting screens quickly, but should be good for the David? ...have a good one @DDave :wave: :cool:

Last edited:

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well we aint going to find the hot water with these batteries,anyone interested in what is the true perfomance of different brands,should visit https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com and look for mooch battery tests,i posted a photo a while back where there were tests performed on true values of most popular brands,but for some reason the link got broken and i am too stoned to find it right now..
================
Forgot to add that different batches test differently,so this graph might not apply to the specs of your batch but anyway here is one of the tables,all of them can be found on this guys blog.
img_5441-jpg.658875

img_4813-jpg.643937

Last edited:

luke00978

Are any of those wood treatments safe / unsafe to use since it will be heated up and you'll be drawing your intake air from that?

Has anyone tried some Sony VTC6 batteries with their tubo?

They are rated for 20amp discharge, higher than the samsung 30Q's that are recommended, and still have 3000mah capacity, so maybe VTC6's will allow themselves to deeply and more fully discharge during a tubo session, maybe down to 25-33%... 3.6v or so? instead of only being able to discharge down to about 40-50% and 3.7v or a little less with 30Q's.

Regarding the cruise mode, and battery life, I've found you can't really enter cruise mode (or on-demand) when the battery is at 3.7v or lower. Sometimes even at 3.8v when warm, it can be tough to enter a cruise. I found one little trick to get the last cruise from a low-ish battery that I think has been mentioned before: (Prolusio maybe?)

When battery is lower, try warming up with on-demand mode at first, let the coils reach their temp for a few seconds, then let go of the button and immediately double click to enter cruise mode.

Sometimes this works to get the last cruise in, maybe not all the time :shrug:

Also, if you enter a cruise with a low battery, and then RIP the tubo hella hard, forcing max watts on the heaters and max amps on the battery, it may kick-out from cruise mode :(

Also, to query my tubo veterans:

Is there any consensus on what is the best type of screen to use to cap off your tubo bowl?

Basket screen? RBT screen? New DDave rim-less screen? ELB?

I've only had basket screens so far, and they're letting me down some. :( As @muunch and maybe others have surmised, it seems the basket screens can conduct alot of heat, especially if used back-to-back over many sessions rapidly.

Especially if you have some old ones with the thicker metal rims from older vapes like me. :doh:

It seems a basket screen can even conduct enough heat to combust your herbs if it falls out and falls into the bowl. On one of my early sessions, I used an old mushy, bent-out-of-shape basket screen on my m/m WPA, and after a few hits, only at 390F, it fell out of the stem into my bowl and it left a charred blackened donut of herbs underneath it! :o Good thing I had a large hydratube on top, it didn't really harsh me out or make me cough, it just tasted not-so-great. And luckily, it left no blackened marks or foul taste on the tubo. Careful with those basket screens, folks, I think there must be better options..... :sherlock: :hmm:

ive stopped using any screens just use the tubo on its side in whip mode and upside down on a bubbler, i dont use it as a portable so never use the stem upright natively, sure you could just cut a normal stainless screen to fit just over the load if you dont want the conduction of the eq basket.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
if the rimmed metal baskets add any conduction then the vapexhale Evo must be full conduction as well.

i think at worst, they steal some of the heat. i found around 385 or 390 as my max temp and that is sometimes harsh on my throat (even with a waterpipe) and gives me ABV darker than I'd take it in both my milaana and sbjr for example.

i tried 30qs and vtc5s but i liked my hg2s better.

i haven't found a better way to use it than with the metal rimmed baskets as a cap, but am certainly open to suggestions.

i have trouble using it with it on its side as i like to move around and etc and it ends up being less of a hassle just to hold it upright, at least for me.

also my ddave v3 and long bent stem now have beautiful golden/amber oil coating their insides... need to figure out how to get it out, because this doesn't look like dark brown gross reclaim and I'd definitely try dabbing it if i can manage to get a glob out.

Top Bottom