Tinymight2 Bad Smell

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
Thanks so much! Over the years, I’ve had a magic flight box, back in the good old days (my first ever vape) the pax and pax two, and two arizer solo II’s (my favorite for flavor) and of course thru water, sometimes both at the same time, which was a game changer and done deal for me at that point, especially the close to 0 maintnence. I had a mighty + for a very brief time and didn’t enjoy the overly-airy hits that came with it, or the cleaning process that I know people will tell me is not a big deal, but I was spoiled with my solo’s I guess. Now this TM2 feels like the perfect amount of airflow (almost like in-between a Solo and a Mighty, if that makes sense). I love the on-demand mode as well, and the maintenance doesn’t seem too bad, especially considering I will rarely use the cooling unit. I want it to be a keeper, I’ve just been paranoid lately about these damn airpaths, lurking on these forums over the years…of course something I didn’t consider at all when I was younger, no kids, etc. and just wanted to heat my weed whenever and wherever I wanted lol.

I get that. In addition to my TM2 I was also looking at picking up a Firewood 9. It's an artisan wood vape, but the airpath is glass and ceramic. Although the cap you screw on top of the bowl is cherry wood. I consider it a very safe airpath. It is more conduction but there is some convection also. I'm waiting to see if they go on sale this 420.

Another consideration is dabbing with a glass banger or using an erig with an all ceramic bucket and glass bubbler. I do enjoy a little hash rosin and, using smaller amounts, I find it a very clean way of getting medicated.

BabyFacedFinster,

Couchkushinn

I get that. In addition to my TM2 I was also looking at picking up a Firewood 9. It's an artisan wood vape, but the airpath is glass and ceramic. Although the cap you screw on top of the bowl is cherry wood. I consider it a very safe airpath. It is more conduction but there is some convection also. I'm waiting to see if they go on sale this 420.

Another consideration is dabbing with a glass banger or using an erig with an all ceramic bucket and glass bubbler. I do enjoy a little hash rosin and, using smaller amounts, I find it a very clean way of getting medicated.
For sure…I’m gonna look into this Firewood 9, thank you for the recommendation! I used to dab a little bit and def liked the idea of it being so free of anything but the quartz and the oil. I always find my way back to flower though pretty quickly for my nightly routine, lol just something about it that I’ve always preferred.

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
About the tm2 & isolated airpath, the tm2's components are not isolated from the airpath. But we don't know how much, if any, air gets pulled through from the components side.

I did a little experiment a while ago. I wanted to adjust the airflow, wanted a bit less. So I blocked some of the air-intake holes with toothpicks. Doing that didn't change the airflow much because air was instead sucked in from under, through the usb-c port & from around the temp dial. So no, tm2 doesn't have a completely isolated airpath. But this experiment also changed the tm2 design, it wasn't designed to have the air-intake holes blocked (i removed the toothpicks after). But we don't know how much air gets pulled through from under when the air intakes are not blocked. Would need proper equipment to measure that kind of stuff

but @Couchkushinn you should do what feels best for you. There are probably vapes with completely isolated airpaths if that's what you want

bestvaping

I don't understand. You don't know what's inside, but you know the airpath isn't clean?
Yes, because as I said, my TM2 doesn't have an insulated air path, and it necessarily passes through the PCB (you don't need to have disassembled the unit and identified all the SMD components to understand that it's not safe (otherwise we wouldn't even be here discussing it)).

@666Honeybadger @Photonic Thank you both for trying and proving me wrong (yes, I'm a humble and honest person and I can recognize my wrong if necessary). I hope with all my heart that you are right and that my TM2 suffers from some kind of defect.

So my TM2 probably has an uninsulated air path defect if I've understood correctly, I want to understand and I'll contact the manufacturer to find out more and if necessary I'll return the unit and I'll come here to give my results.

Please understand that I'm not here to destroy Tinymight reputation (I have no interest in saying such a thing and I wish I could say the opposite). I too would like to be able to say openly that the air path is insulated, but this is not the case with my current TM2, sorry..

Looks like I've got a TM2 mounted in a TM case :lol: which from your comments doesn't sound right, we'll have the answer when the manufacturer informs me of the instructions to follow. However, I'm reassured that you're telling me this isn't the case and I hope TM will rise in my esteem and regain my daily rotation. I can't say anything more at the moment. And again, sorry if I've annoyed some people, that wasn't my intention, I'm just saying what I notice about my TM because I can only speak for myself.

I sincerely hope you're right and thank you for this interesting discussion (because I would never have noticed that my TM2 has a defect in this case, I love this forum). That would explain a lot indeed 🙃

bestvaping

You do you.
I'm talking about my first comment which is quite devastating ... I've contacted TM to get more information before a possible return because apparently my TM2 seems defective according to the previous comments. There's nothing wrong with admitting I was wrong (in fact, it's the smartest thing to do .. even if it's not my fault that my TM2 was poorly assembled). Once again, I can only speak for myself ..

bestvaping,
Reactions: Photonic

gangababa

Looks like I've got a TM2 mounted in a TM case :lol: ... 🙃
No, this not the case (pun).
The TM2 heater is installed in a hole that passes through the entire length of the wood body.
The original TM heater hole was not bored all the way through the body but had a solid bottom with one small hole for the heater center shaft.
The TM2 is designed with a solid metal disk plugging the bottom of the bore hole, above the circuit board.
The only way for air to get from the bottom of the TM is to pass between the wood and the press fit metal plug.
I won't say it is 100% air tight, but it would take a lot of blowing or hard sucking because the designed airflow is much free flowing than the possible air leak.

I found a picture. The pegs locate in holes on the circuit board (burned out component on other side due to reversed battery).
The backside of the PCB contacts the metal disk and the wood. We can not judge the air seal based upon being able to see the discontinuity of wood and metal.

The disk-wood joint could be designed to use an O-ring for sealing there.
TM-2-heater-bottom-plug.jpg

bestvaping

@gangababa thank you for the explanation and the attached photo, actually seen like this I don't see why my TM2 behaves like this unfortunately because I'm still blowing gently and I can clearly feel the air coming out through the battery hole, there must be something missing in my unit or it's not assembled correctly .. I don't see any other explanation, I'm waiting for the TM guy to reply to my message .. 😉

bestvaping,

Tellus

Human (H. sapiens x H. neanderthalensis)
No, this not the case (pun).
Good one

The only way for air to get from the bottom of the TM is to pass between the wood and the press fit metal plug.
I wouldn't call it press fit, not in mine anyway. I've opened the bottom of my tm2 before & my heater is little loose in there . And like i wrote above if you block the air intake holes air does pass through from bottom (but this is not how the tm2 was designed to operate)
I won't say it is 100% air tight, but it would take a lot of blowing or hard sucking because the designed airflow is much free flowing than the possible air leak.
I agree with this, I think tm2 air flow design is good so maybe nothing to worry about. it is good hardware I will be old & still using my tinymight, but maybe through water for the old throat

Tinymights are little machines, quality engineering

Tellus,

bestvaping

I wouldn't call it press fit, not in mine anyway. I've opened the bottom of my tm2 before & my heater is little loose in there
Yes, from the first information I received from the TM team, this seems normal, it seems that some units have some variation between the wood and the heating unit, which would create leaks. I guess I didn't have any luck on that one, as I'm very preoccupied about this and if it's true then some units seem better insulated than others, which would explain our differences of opinion. In any case, it's clear that since TM1, they've put a lot of effort into this to better isolate TM in the future, which is a good thing and proves their willingness to make safer appliances. They also informed me that the PCB was certified by an independent laboratory in Finland, which is also a good thing.

I made several different attempts, for example instead of blowing into the device, which is not very healthy in the long run, I inhaled by covering the battery hole with my thumb (and covering the usb port as well as the temperature switch because the air also passes through a little), and when I remove and replace my thumb, I can feel the change in airflow. The best way to find out would be to use a pressure sensor by covering the hole with a film and inhaling through the mouthpiece (like a buttonless ecigarette that activates simply by changing the pressure). but of course, as there are certain variations between units, we may obtain different results.

I would have disassembled my TM2 to see for myself but they informed me that if I disassembled my unit then I would lose the warranty so I didn't do it.

In any case, TM support is rather reactive and they are very friendly, my TM2 is on its way to Finland at the moment as they have agreed that I send them back my unit for analysis.

I hope they find out where the leak is coming from and manage to isolate my unit better, because once again I like the Finnish team's work and I really appreciate the haptic and visual experience, especially for people with certain disabilities, it's really nice.

Top Bottom