Tinymight2 Bad Smell

Couchkushinn

I know this has been discussed before, but I’m just looking for some opinions/insight-
Got my new TM2 yesterday, did 2 burn-offs at high temps in session mode (about 15 min total). Went right for the WPA thru my rig, because this is the only way I plan on using it…I’m not interested in toying around with the cooling unit, etc, and I only use it at home….anyway, it tasted ok, but as the unit cooled it just had this unpleasant odor - I understand the general consensus, and everyone saying “this goes away after a while, it’s from the wood”. While i hope it does go away at some point soon, I’m just curious, for everyone saying it is the stain or the wood, why does this make it okay? I splurged on this device because I’m looking for a healthier way to consume- you guys think it’s acceptable to be vaping remnants of boiled linseed oil or whatever it is that is making this odor prominent? Why is this wood even stained in the first place, making it possible for whatever is used to leach into parts of a device that is supposed to have one of the cleanest air paths on the market, (and is certainly priced as such)? Someone please talk me out of sending this thing back. :(

Couchkushinn,
Reactions: cosimo

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
for everyone saying it is the stain or the wood, why does this make it okay? I splurged on this device because I’m looking for a healthier way to consume- you guys think it’s acceptable to be vaping remnants of boiled linseed oil or whatever it is that is making this odor prominent? Why is this wood even stained in the first place, making it possible for whatever is used to leach into parts of a device that is supposed to have one of the cleanest air paths on the market, :(

I'm pretty sure it's not stained tbh, there may be some wax applied but that's it i think?
And that wax will only be applied on the outside of the wood, i'm sure the inside is left untreated/"unstained".
So there's very little chance that anything gets in the airpath and even less chance for it to end up in the vapor(path) imho...

anyway, it tasted ok, but as the unit cooled it just had this unpleasant odor -

It's not abnormal for the wood to smell slightly after the first heating cycles i think? Did you notice the unpleasant smell coming from the inside of the vape? Or was it just the wood on the exterior?
What did it smell like? Woody or ?

and is certainly priced as such)? Someone please talk me out of sending this thing back. :(

I think it's not priced unreasonably high tbh, considering the quality of the device. But ymmv.
You could ofc send it back and buy a Venty for about a 100 bucks extra...
I'm sure that doesn't smell like wood at all! :D
LoL;)

bestvaping

making it possible for whatever is used to leach into parts of a device that is supposed to have one of the cleanest air paths on the market
TM by no means has the cleanest air path on the market, I don't know where this idea came from, but a simple test is enough to show that this is not the case. I'm not just talking about the wood here, but about the electronic components that give off heat as well as other compounds from the PCB and its components.

With my TM2, if I remove the battery and blow into the hole (or conversely, the hole that receives the mouthpiece), then air comes out of one or the other, which proves that the air path is in no way isolated from the other components .. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a faulty battery that would leak/degassing all over the device and end up in your lungs .. Please understand that I'm not saying this to alarm the public, I've been aware of this for a while now, but I just can't understand why everyone is saying that TM has the best insulation, sorry but that's just not true. Even if the PCB is RoHS certified, this in no way guarantees that these components are "safe" to inhale (because that's not its function). Of all my vapes, both the TM and the SSSV have this characteristic of feeling/tasting the heat of electronic components, believe it or not (do the previous test and see for yourself) .. I'd really prefer to say the opposite .. On this point S&B clearly does better than TM .. I have to say it, even if I don't really like what S&B has become .. If you only vape at home and through water, look at ball vape which is clearly more "safe" and you'll have a good point of comparison.

By the way, if anyone has photos of the inside of a TM2, I'd love to see them!

PS: I'm clearly not going to make a lot of friends here but I really don't give a shit about that.

Last edited:
bestvaping,

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
With my TM2, if I remove the battery and blow into the hole (or conversely, the hole that receives the mouthpiece), then air comes out of one or the other, which proves that the air path is in no way isolated from the other components ..
Just tried this.
When blowing thru the mp-hole the air comes out of the air-intake holes around the stem. (would find it mighty strange if it went thru the battery compartment tbh... I mean, how would you get decent vapor if there was an airleak towards the battery compartment?)

When i blow in the battery compartment the air comes out thru the usbc-port, and slightly thru the button-hole...

:hmm:

bestvaping

@666Honeybadger plug one of the holes with your thumb while you blow into the other, then remove/replace your thumb and you'll see the change in the airflow coming out of the other hole (you can also plug the usb-c hole and the temperature setting, which gives a better rendering). And yes, air is also expelled through the ventilation holes, which "ideally" shouldn't be the case (when you blow into the battery hole). Or simply, instead of blowing into the battery hole, blow into the mouthpiece hole (and cover the air holes with your lips), and the air will come out through the battery hole .. I hope I've explained this correctly.

Last edited:
bestvaping,

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
@666Honeybadger plug one of the holes with your thumb while you blow into the other, then remove/replace your thumb and you'll see the change in the airflow coming out of the other hole (you can also plug the usb-c hole, which gives a better rendering). And yes, air is also expelled through the ventilation holes, which "ideally" shouldn't be the case (when you blow into the battery hole).
No it's not like you say.
You didn't read my post correct i think.

When i blow in the stemhole the air comes out thru the air-intake holes. (which makes sense since it's following the air/vaporpath. (the handwarmer could also be used to heat the face by blowing in the stem, remember?;))
NOTHING comes out of the battery hole when i do this. It's a closed circuit imo.

And yes, air is also expelled through the ventilation holes, which "ideally" shouldn't be the case (when you blow into the battery hole).

Not like that here...When blowing in the battery hole the air goes straight thru the bottom. Coming out thru the usbc-port and passing the button.
(NOTHING comes thru the stem/intake holes when i do this, which makes sense imo. Tried it a couple of times since you persist)
Just shine a flashlight on the bottom and look thru the battery hole: it's like a sieve down there!
So that's where the air goes thru when you blow in it... pure logic imho.

666Honeybadger,

AssistedLiving

saw this a couple weeks ago tm2 stripdown

Couchkushin, who did you purchase from? email Finland, I've always received a prompt email reply to any questions, I've used mine for daily for 3 years without incident, best $250 I ever spent, good luck!

Last edited:

Couchkushinn

TM by no means has the cleanest air path on the market, I don't know where this idea came from, but a simple test is enough to show that this is not the case. I'm not just talking about the wood here, but about the electronic components that give off heat as well as other compounds from the PCB and its components.

With my TM2, if I remove the battery and blow into the hole (or conversely, the hole that receives the mouthpiece), then air comes out of one or the other, which proves that the air path is in no way isolated from the other components .. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have a faulty battery that would leak/degassing all over the device and end up in your lungs .. Please understand that I'm not saying this to alarm the public, I've been aware of this for a while now, but I just can't understand why everyone is saying that TM has the best insulation, sorry but that's just not true. Even if the PCB is RoHS certified, this in no way guarantees that these components are "safe" to inhale (because that's not its function). Of all my vapes, both the TM and the SSSV have this characteristic of feeling/tasting the heat of electronic components, believe it or not (do the previous test and see for yourself) .. I'd really prefer to say the opposite .. On this point S&B clearly does better than TM .. I have to say it, even if I don't really like what S&B has become .. If you only vape at home and through water, look at ball vape which is clearly more "safe" and you'll have a good point of comparison.

PS: I'm clearly not going to make a lot of friends here but I really don't give a shit about that.
Thank you for this info; honestly, I’m leaning toward switching it out for something else. I’m a long time arizer solo user and this is exactly what I was trying to avoid, by switching vape brands-personally, I love the solo but there was so much talk about this same thing happening with the solo 2, even tho they claim isolated air path, it bugged me out into what I thought was upgrading and trying this very similar (but a little more complicated) device, imo. For instance, there’s no moving parts with the solo, it’s just load and go. Anyway, I’ll check out some ball vapes, even tho i prefer this method, it seems there’s none this style that are completely isolated, even though these claims are made. How do you feel about a dynavap with an induction heater?

Couchkushinn,

bestvaping

NOTHING comes out of the battery hole when i do this. It's a closed circuit imo.
No, because in the case of a closed circuit, when you blow through the mouthpiece hole (and plug the ventilation holes with your lips), no air should escape through the battery hole, which is not the case here (it should feel like a clogged straw).

bestvaping,

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
No, because in the case of a closed circuit, when you blow through the mouthpiece hole (and plug the ventilation holes with your lips), no air should escape through the battery hole, which is not the case here.
For the third time: Well: That's exactly what seems to be happening here:
no air escapes thru the battery compartment... Hence it is a closed circuit imo.
What else can i say...

Let's just agree to disagree.
Anyone can do the test for themselves like you say.

666Honeybadger,
Reactions: bestvaping

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
Let's just agree to disagree.
Anyone can do the test for themselves like you say.
I tried this test and also did not feel much if any air coming through the battery compartment or USB port. It's hard to be 100% certain because it's challenging covering all of the intake holes, but if there was any it was extremely small.

Are we sure everyone is using a real TM2 or maybe there was a build error on the leaky ones?

bestvaping

Are we sure everyone is using a real TM2 or maybe there was a build error on the leaky ones?
I bought my TM2 from LCV in August 2023, so I don't think I got a Chinese imitation. When I blow into the mouthpiece hole and cover the air holes with my lips, the air comes out clearly through the battery hole. How do you explain that? I'm sure someone here will get the same results because I'm not a liar and I have no interest in saying such things. Once again, I'd prefer to say that everything would be fine if that were the case. :shrug:

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
I bought my TM2 from LCV in August 2023, so I don't think I got a Chinese imitation. When I blow into the mouthpiece hole and cover the air holes with my lips, the air comes out clearly through the battery hole. How do you explain that? I'm sure someone here will get the same results because I'm not a liar and I have no interest in saying such things. Once again, I'd prefer to say that everything would be fine if that were the case. :shrug:
I definitely don't think you are lying! I'm just not seeing the same thing with my unit. Maybe a seal/oring was missing when your unit was assembled? You could try emailing the company and maybe they'll have some suggestions or a possible fix?

Either way, good luck!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Thank you for this info; honestly, I’m leaning toward switching it out for something else. I’m a long time arizer solo user and this is exactly what I was trying to avoid, by switching vape brands-personally, I love the solo but there was so much talk about this same thing happening with the solo 2, even tho they claim isolated air path, it bugged me out into what I thought was upgrading and trying this very similar (but a little more complicated) device, imo. For instance, there’s no moving parts with the solo, it’s just load and go. Anyway, I’ll check out some ball vapes, even tho i prefer this method, it seems there’s none this style that are completely isolated, even though these claims are made. How do you feel about a dynavap with an induction heater?

Yeah I presumed you cleaned everything fully before doing the burn-offs as well? Without stem etc. All those best practices... Because it absolutely should be better than Solo in the way you expect it, possible you have a defect, possible something is wrong with the wood in a way that it is so strong and it needs to be broken in too much, could be a total defect if the air path is not secure (generally shouldn't be an issue with the on-demand nature) anyway wish you good luck!

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I haven't noticed any off tastes coming from my unit. That's not to say it hasn't come up with others, but I've been following the TM2 thread almost daily for a couple years and I don't recall this being a common issue. I've noticed off tastes and robot farts from other vapes, usually with more plastic parts.
If I did notice such off flavors I'd be contacting Tinymight about possible issues or a return. Hope it works out.

TM by no means has the cleanest air path on the market,

I don't understand. You don't know what's inside, but you know the airpath isn't clean?

Last edited:
BabyFacedFinster,

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
had this unpleasant odor
I'm still curious to hear what kind of smell you noticed? Was it a woody smell or some kind of electronic smell?
In all honesty i don't smell/taste anything off with mine? The unit itself smells very neutral so if it's a wood smell that bothers you i'm sure it will disapear after a short time.
fwiw: very few (if any ;)) TM-users seem to have complaints about strange smells or unpure taste so may be worth giving it a second chance...😇

I’m leaning toward switching it out for something else

otoh I think this might be crucial too.
Sounds like you don't feel comfortable with it and i think it's difficult to truly enjoy a device when you are having doubts like this clouding your mind. In such a case it might be better to step away to avoid frustration from being uncertain every time you use it?

How do you feel about a dynavap with an induction heater?

Since you also mentioned ball vapes it might be a good idea to check the Tempest thread?
Click here!
In combination with a wand it's pretty amazing!
(And it's on a very different level than a Dynavap imho)

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
fwiw: very few (if any ;)) TM-users seem to have complaints about strange smells or unpure taste so may be worth giving it a second chance...😇
Back in the day, a complaint of a fishy smell from the wood was common. This was due to the oil used on the wood. To my knowledge, Tinymight stopped using that oil back in the OG days.

Anyway, the smell complaint was pretty common at the time, especially on Reddit.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
Back in the day, a complaint of a fishy smell from the wood was common. This was due to the oil used on the wood. To my knowledge, Tinymight stopped using that oil back in the OG days.

Anyway, the smell complaint was pretty common at the time, especially on Reddit.
Ah yes, but now you are talking about the very first batches.
I've read the posts on here but that was only for a couple of months. After a couple of batches they changed the "recipe" somehow since the reports stopped coming in. ;)
I'm sure the TM2 from the OP doesn't have that fishy finnish finish of the first TM's:D

Couchkushinn

I'm still curious to hear what kind of smell you noticed? Was it a woody smell or some kind of electronic smell?
In all honesty i don't smell/taste anything off with mine? The unit itself smells very neutral so if it's a wood smell that bothers you i'm sure it will disapear after a short time.

otoh I think this might be crucial too.
Sounds like you don't feel comfortable with it and i think it's difficult to truly enjoy a device when you are having doubts like this clouding your mind. In such a case it might be better to step away to avoid frustration from being uncertain every time you use it?

Since you also mentioned ball vapes it might be a good idea to check the Tempest thread?
Click here!
In combination with a wand it's pretty amazing!
(And it's on a very different level than a Dynavap imho)
Thanks so much for this! First thing I did when I got home from work, was fire it up to check again, because it’s been bothering me all day lol ….it had definitely dissipated quite a bit. I guess a a wood smell..,sour fish wood?!? Idk lol it’s hard to describe. I put the empty stem in and pulled from it in session mode, and you’re right it had pretty much no taste. I’m sure it’ll be fine soon, but now I’m left wondering about everything bestvaping is claiming. I am by nature an over thinker/worrier- if you can’t tell lol, so your point about clouding my mind is well taken. I want to enjoy it so bad, I was looking so forward to it-and really enjoyed the on demand mode so much

Couchkushin, who did you purchase from? email Finland, I've always received a prompt email reply to any questions, I've used mine for daily for 3 years without incident, best $250 I ever spent, good luck!
Purchased from POTV

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I’m sure it’ll be fine soon, but now I’m left wondering about everything bestvaping is claiming. I am by nature an over thinker/worrier- if you can’t tell lol, so your point about clouding my mind is well taken. I want to enjoy it so bad, I was looking so forward to it-and really enjoyed the on demand mode so much

Yeah breaking in, cuts of wood, finishing process etc... I know what you mean, a lot of us have that tendency here, individual perspective is a real varying thing, but if you want to pop over to the TM thread I'm sure you will get a lot more reassurance as most of us have had primarily fantastic experience :tup:

nicknobody

If it was a weird wood smell then I’d stop worrying. An electronics smell id say look into a return.

One of my logs came with a stench that was almost unbearable at first. It even affected the taste for the first few rips. Just took all the appropriate new device steps and all is well in the end.

Give it some time to learn the tm. Stay open minded. Stay lit. Good luck

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...

Indeed, I posted my findings in this thread long ago, when my OG TM smelled like FISH…
Turns out…. LINSEED OIL is the culprit. Wiped and waxed the wood, smell went away in short time.
My walnut TM2, had NO smell when new, guess they finally figured it out.

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
@Couchkushinn, in this hobby you will probably own a number of vapes over time. Some won't be your cup of tea. The TM2 is really a great vape, and I am curious of what you are smelling or tasting. I can't help but wonder if you're smelling the wood outside the vape and not necessarily in the airpath.

Also, the dynavaps are fun to use with a very clean airpath. Just know that they are more of a conduction vape. If you prefer the convection experience then the Tempest or another convection vape might be more up your alley. For some it doesn't matter. I like a little of both, but the TM2 is my number one flower vape rn.

BabyFacedFinster,

Couchkushinn

@Couchkushinn, in this hobby you will probably own a number of vapes over time. Some won't be your cup of tea. The TM2 is really a great vape, and I am curious of what you are smelling or tasting. I can't help but wonder if you're smelling the wood outside the vape and not necessarily in the airpath.

Also, the dynavaps are fun to use with a very clean airpath. Just know that they are more of a conduction vape. If you prefer the convection experience then the Tempest or another convection vape might be more up your alley. For some it doesn't matter. I like a little of both, but the TM2 is my number one flower vape rn.
Thanks so much! Over the years, I’ve had a magic flight box, back in the good old days (my first ever vape) the pax and pax two, and two arizer solo II’s (my favorite for flavor) and of course thru water, sometimes both at the same time, which was a game changer and done deal for me at that point, especially the close to 0 maintnence. I had a mighty + for a very brief time and didn’t enjoy the overly-airy hits that came with it, or the cleaning process that I know people will tell me is not a big deal, but I was spoiled with my solo’s I guess. Now this TM2 feels like the perfect amount of airflow (almost like in-between a Solo and a Mighty, if that makes sense). I love the on-demand mode as well, and the maintenance doesn’t seem too bad, especially considering I will rarely use the cooling unit. I want it to be a keeper, I’ve just been paranoid lately about these damn airpaths, lurking on these forums over the years…of course something I didn’t consider at all when I was younger, no kids, etc. and just wanted to heat my weed whenever and wherever I wanted lol.

Top Bottom