TinyMight / TM 2

murf2010

I think the actual temp for combusting dried plant matter (including pyrolysis etc.) is at about 220°C; the TM says it can go up to 240°C, but I'm sure that refers to the temp on the coil, not in the chamber (because I never combusted with the TM).

Anyway, I'm sensing a bit of a derail. :-)
This is what confuses me, we’re hearing reports of people combusting now more frequently. What is the reason you think?

murf2010,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Well, in case of @NarrativeCausality & @Vaporific it had nothing to do with the set temp, but with the screen above the heater being pushed out of place somehow.
Possibly a hardware issue but I don’t think my heater screen touched the coil but we may never know. It could be human error and perhaps I did try to press the button and draw before it was ready (in on demand mode) but I’m not certain if that either. What I do know is that there definitely was combustion going on - that unmistakable smell and taste (yuck!).

I’m back in business with my Tinymight except for the missing large clear oring at the bottom of the oven. I’ll order a replacement soon along with other accessories.

FYI, the stock heater screen appears to be a tad smaller than standard screens you buy in bulk online. My extra new stainless screen from years ago wouldn’t fit into the ‘screen ring’ above the heater - unless I carefully trim it a bit. Easy to do with scissors but may not perfectly fit the way the stock screen does. I didn’t clean the stock screen after extracting it from the bowels of the oven though that was my intent after taking it apart after my combustion incident. Perhaps another time soon. :peace:

Vaporific,

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
Possibly a hardware issue but I don’t think my heater screen touched the coil but we may never know. It could be human error

If there was combustion and if the heater screen was stuck in the lower ring that is almost leaning against the coil...
How did the screen not touch the coil ?? :bang:
Of course there was a human error ... Did anyone else touch your Tmight ?? Only you? sooooo.... :mental:
Why don't you clean and straighten the original screen and place it correctly?
Without that large o-ring you will have reduced performance. :myday:
Haven't you seen my photos? it seems not and were put to help you. :mad:
That o-ring sits ABOVE the glass tube!
Another thing and sorry for the sincerity, I do not advise you to make the mod screen ...:disgust:

unless I carefully trim it a bit. Easy to do with scissors but may not perfectly fit the way the stock screen does
:rofl:
If with the original screen you managed to get it to move, imagine what you are describing ...:shit:

edit:
This is what confuses me, we’re hearing reports of people combusting now more frequently. What is the reason you think?
@murf2010
human error

@NarrativeCausality said:
The lid of the cap protrudes from the bottom of the stem [...]
:goon::goon:

Last edited:

Vaporific

Haven't you seen my photos? it seems not and were put to help you. :mad:
That o-ring sits ABOVE the glass tube!
Another thing and sorry for the sincerity, I do not advise you to make the mod screen ...:disgust:
Oh but I did see those and used those as reference and benchmark. Also your post on Page 129. Thanks again! So the clear oring goes on top of the glass cylinder, eh? It will easier than trying to squeeze it below the cylinder. I thought it went below but I guess I’m wrong. I didn’t notice where it came out of but it was the last thing I removed - until I got the screen ring and screen out. I’ll replace and get a new clear oring ASAP. :peace::peace:

EDIT: yeah, I may suspend the heater screen mod altogether in light of this incident. Live and learn...

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
EDIT: yeah, I may suspend the heater screen mod altogether in light of this incident. Live and learn...

With or without my mod screen, the original screen must be perfectly seated in the groove of the ring.
In the case of my mod it is even more important because the ring is placed in reverse ...

IMG-20200319-143721-1.jpg

Vaporific

With or without my mod screen, the original screen must be perfectly seated in the groove of the ring.
In the case of my mod it is even more important because the ring is placed in reverse ...

IMG-20200319-143721-1.jpg
Agreed. Your pics were wonderful. Until the screen ring came out - without the screen - I hadn’t realized there’s a narrow channel to seat the screen into the ring. I concur the screen should be perfectly seated. Mine is again (the original stock one). Thanks again for all your help!! :) I won’t broach this topic again any time soon, that’s for sure. :peace:

Easywider

Simple is the way
I recently combusted in mine. 100% Human error, 100% this dumbass own fault.

I'd recently ran out of the stock stems because I'm good at breaking my toys. I've been using an upside-down Xl8r jr and some mighty capsules. ( @LabPong sometimes you just need an ultra-portable option, at home, it's back to all glass :tup:)

Do to more human error the capsule ended up pushing the screen right into the coil jamming in nice and tight. The device shorted, I have a hole burnt through my screen from the point of contact and a stinky TM. I'm on my third breakdown and cleaning and the combustion stank is just starting to fade. I'm going to be looking for a more rigid replacement screen.

This is my second time doing this :mental:luckily the first time I noticed before I fired up.
Hopefully one day I will learn. :razz:

im not a robot

the capsule ended up pushing the screen right into the coil

this seems to happen rather a lot. i have not yet tried the mighty dosing capsule, but i dont think i will at this point. honestly the times i really need a dosing capsule are pretty rare. they are just very convenient.

thanks @dzoinp for your breakdown pictures & explanations. it would be useful to compile these kinds of posts somewhere so they can be easily found when needed. oh wait. arent there these best-of threads? this belongs in it i think. ok, here is how it works http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/how-the-best-of-threads-work-post-nominations-here.16613/
i would happily nominate one of your posts, is there one where all the info & pictures is together? or could you edit / compile it for clarity, so it is understandable without context? your screenmod would qualifie too imo, but how to safely reassemble the tm seems crucial.
i am sure there are other posts in this thread that would qualifie, this one just stuck out to me now.

edit: this http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/tinymight-vaporizer.44563/page-143#post-1473562 probably works. unless you can think of another post or want to change anything, i would nominate this

Last edited:

Vaporific

this seems to happen rather a lot. i have not yet tried the mighty dosing capsule, but i dont think i will at this point. honestly the times i really need a dosing capsule are pretty rare. they are just very convenient.

thanks @dzoinp for your breakdown pictures & explanations. it would be useful to compile these kinds of posts somewhere so they can be easily found when needed. oh wait. arent there these best-of threads? this belongs in it i think. ok, here is how it works http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/how-the-best-of-threads-work-post-nominations-here.16613/
i would happily nominate one of your posts, is there one where all the info & pictures is together? or could you edit / compile it for clarity, so it is understandable without context? your screenmod would qualifie too imo, but how to safely reassemble the tm seems crucial.
i am sure there are other posts in this thread that would qualifie, this one just stuck out to me now.

edit: this http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/tinymight-vaporizer.44563/page-143#post-1473562 probably works. unless you can think of another post or want to change anything, i would nominate this
Page 129 is a minor Picasso and possible nominee :2c:. I had to dig that up during my screen incident. :peace:

Zisso

Just received my TM I took things apart to give them a nice clean.

Quick question: Which way is the internal screen supposed to be oriented. Is the thicker metal ring supposed to face up or is it the thinner/wider side up?

Zisso,
Reactions: Summer

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
Just received my TM I took things apart to give them a nice clean.

Quick question: Which way is the internal screen supposed to be oriented. Is the thicker metal ring supposed to face up or is it the thinner/wider side up?

thinner (with higher ID inside diameter) side up...:nod: to prevent the stem pushing the screen down :mental::D

Last edited:

scooterboy

Muppet, not moped.
I am having the same issue that someone else mentioned - extraction is TOO quick. I want to take small hits, spread out over a couple of hours - not huge rips. I end up tasting burnt popcorn much earlier than expected. I'm learning that this takes a light touch on the trigger, only holding it down between 1 and 4 beats before releasing. Also backing off the temp dial a bit to 4-5 helps as well.
So experiment #2 tonight: holding button for a 5 count at each step, started at 3.5 (wispy & tasty), stepped up .5 at a time until 5.5 where I tasted my first hint of popcorn. So I think 5 will be my ceiling. I may try starting lower tho.

Guest399

thinner/wider side up...:nod: to prevent the stem pushing the screen down :mental::D

sorry that i must ask
because I didn't understand their answer. thinner/wider side up is contradictory or not? normal is the wider side up or? and you better mean the thinner side up so that no accident happens? or have I misunderstood that ? or i am stupid :sherlock:

Guest399,
Reactions: Summer

karec

@dzoinp i did a similar mistake remember? but i assembled everything right so my mistake was that the screen after multiple tries started to get strings of metal and i could not assemble the mod correctly, dont get me wrong looks easy but its not but once u got it right :rockon: the 1st i made touched the heater (its clear on the photo) and i had the combustion event.. nasty... :rolleyes: look below since the screen started to get rippled i couldn't fit properly so i got new screens from Ville and assembled everything ok and since that :tup:, @Vaporific you need to assemble it to a point that.... look like part of the device, look like that piece was made for the by the maker, imo should be there, its perfect because allow the user to stir without dropping anything and at higher temps you dont get the dark ring so flavour wise its better for a low temp user like me.

TMmod.jpg

Cheers
:cool:

dzoinp

Accessory Maker
@dzoinp i did a similar mistake remember?
@karec, not the same incident...
With @Vaporific this happened with the original screen... probably because the ring was upsidown

sorry that i must ask
because I didn't understand their answer. thinner/wider side up is contradictory or not? normal is the wider side up or? and you better mean the thinner side up so that no accident happens? or have I misunderstood that ? or i am stupid :sherlock:

EDIT: @sativs Sorry ... I corrected my previous post, see if you understand...

The original screen assemble allows the stem to fit with minimal clearance.
The thinner side up (with higher ID inside diameter) side up
The wider (with lower ID inside diameter) part of the ring prevents the screen and the stem itself from being pushed down.

I am sure that many TM have the heater screen turned upside down...If your stem shakes too much when fully placed on the TM, check that your heater screen is not upside down:myday:

EDIT:

this side down
IMG-20200512-013114.jpg

this side up
IMG-20200512-013104.jpg

Last edited:

Vaporific

With @Vaporific this happened with the original screen... probably because the ring was upsidown
Correct, with the original screen which is back in place. It was the first time removing these parts and hope it wasn’t upside down but I don’t recall. It’s back in now, fat side up ;):peace:.

LabPong

The wider (with lower ID inside diameter) part of the ring prevents the screen and the stem itself from being pushed down.

I am sure that many TM have the heater screen turned upside down...If your stem shakes too much when fully placed on the TM, check that your heater screen is not upside down:myday:

screen up or down controversy.....well......I am going here....totally.....

Let's start with reading the manual....then understanding that the manufacture assembles them with the wide side UP.....lol totally sayin! :borg:

The reason for turning the wide side of the screen holder down for some of you is that you do not load properly as directed from the manu.....lol Or you are like most users and you get lifted and do stuff. But this method is a little way to help save those that put things below the glass stem end, and or because you did not buy the longer stem.

I feel the reason why the wide side of the screen holder up position is stock...is because it gives a wider platform to help keep a stem off the actual screen. I use it that way because I use the RBT wpa stems only....so I have no need to worry about the bottom of the stem and any possibility of pushing the screen out of the holder washer.

So............in summary......use what is best for how you use the vape. :tup:

Last edited:

The thinner side up (with higher ID inside diameter) side up

EDIT:

this side down
IMG-20200512-013114.jpg

this side up
IMG-20200512-013104.jpg

Hey @dzoinp, @Siebter and others who have done this many times: what orientation is the convexity/concavity of the heater screen? Should it dome upwards towards the stem or downwards towards the heater? Cheers!

NarrativeCausality,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
@NarrativeCausality – Upwards, though I find the width of the rim to be the more obvious indicator.

Bonus tip: instead of dropping the heater screen in the device (which is a bit of a hit or miss kind of a thing) put the screen on your finger and insert it with the device being upside down. Much easier.

madhockeydad

Art is beauty
Question: tonight the TinyMighty developed a distinctive buzz when I press the fire button. It's pretty loud and noticeable. It hadn't been there before so this is different. Any ideas? I hope it's curable because I don't really like the noise.

One other question - on a new battery fully charged, I can get about 3 bowels before the vape starts beeping and turning off. How does that compare to the battery life others are seeing?

David

madhockeydad,
@NarrativeCausality – Upwards, though I find the width of the rim to be the more obvious indicator.

Bonus tip: instead of dropping the heater screen in the device (which is a bit of a hit or miss kind of a thing) put the screen on your finger and insert it with the device being upside down. Much easier.

Thanks @Siebter. That's what I thought, but seeing as the first time I took a close look at the screen was after it had already fallen out of the uppermost ring, I wasn't sure if I replaced it properly. I also noticed the narrow track around the circumference, that you have to slide the edges of the screen into. It occurred to me that as you do that, you could quite easily bow the screen the other way. I then Paralysis-Analysis freaked myself out I'd done it wrong.

Still can't work out why my vape is wispy; it used to be billows at 3-3.5, now I have to go to 5 to get anything even remotely substantial.

Re: the hot tip: That's the only way I've managed to get it in, otherwise it seems to flip like a recalcitrant piece of buttered toast!

NarrativeCausality,
Reactions: Siebter
Top Bottom