Timer or thermometer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskerMath

Yeah, yeah, another newbie question from me lol

Now, things have been great so far (all thanks to help from here), but I noticed something today. Usually, I hit it right when the thermometer hits 310, and I don't really leave it on much longer. Today, however, I turned it on and had to walk away for about fifteen minutes. When I hit it, some of the herb (around the edges) started to burn - by the way, I obviously didn't leave the whip in when I left, so it wasn't from overheating the class. This leads me to believe that the "thermometer" is more of a 'good enough' timer for the temp. Can anyone comment on this? I have the new digital Easy Vape

HuskerMath,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi,

Can you tell if there are 2 pairs of wires connected to the heater element?

:peace:

Egzoset,

Egzoset

Banned
Well...

I'm asking because i have reasons to fear that there can be similar devices with FAKE DIGITAL THERMOMETERS on the market. A thermocouple would require that 2 more conductors must come out of the heater element besides of its power leads, in their absence (with a regular 2 wires element) there has to be a temperature sensor somewhere else nearby. Otherwise, the lack of such a feature would imply that temperature just can't be measured and hence that what's being actually displayed is no thermometer readout at all!

If that's your case then i suggest you simply disregard those numbers and view them as representing a power level instead of a temperature, which is quite a different matter relatively to temperature regulation as performed by a thermostat (where some feedback loop is formed by this tandem: a sensor and a power stage)...

Lets wish i'm mistaking. Yet, it might be interresting to know for sure if you've got both!

:2c:

Egzoset,

HuskerMath

This model has quite the positive following in way of reviews and whatnot, but I suppose that no one would know unless they took the thing apart. It's really not all that big of an issue, I just can't let it sit for very long (or, at least, not at the temp I had it at). If it was truly at 310, could the herb combust like it did with me?

By the way, I'm almost 100% certain that it's a timer now. If I have it at any temp, turn it off, and immediately turn it back on, the temperature gauge slowly increases to what I have it set to. Though, there doesn't seem to be any pattern for the jumping of 10 degree intervals - that is, it's not like it takes exactly ten seconds to go from 110 to 120 and 120 to 130... the time is quite random.

HuskerMath,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi HuskerMath,

Please consider posting internal pictures if this product ever happens to suffer fatal failure. I was asking because i don't feel comfortable recommending any similar vaporizer, as far as i'm concern! No doubt there's got to be a few good brands/models featured with TRUE temperature regulation but i yet have to see convincing pictures, or at least i don't recall getting a chance to take a peek inside, so to speak!...

To me this matter isn't trival as it will most certainly affect the "ritual" significantly anyway.

Egzoset,

HuskerMath

Oh yeah, definitely. There are screws on it, and I'm sure I could easily take it apart without messing it up, but I don't want to risk it. Like I said, it certainly does affect the ritual, but not so horribly that it makes the unit useless. Unfortunately, this will probably be a problem with most units until vaping is more mainstream.

HuskerMath,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
HuskerMath said:
Like, inside it? No, I can't see.
Lol . . . welcome to FC :)
Egzoset said:
Well...

I'm asking because i have reasons to fear that there can be similar devices with FAKE DIGITAL THERMOMETERS on the market. A thermocouple would require that 2 more conductors must come out of the heater element besides of its power leads, in their absence (with a regular 2 wires element) there has to be a temperature sensor somewhere else nearby. Otherwise, the lack of such a feature would imply that temperature just can't be measured and hence that what's being actually displayed is no thermometer readout at all!

If that's your case then i suggest you simply disregard those numbers and view them as representing a power level instead of a temperature, which is quite a different matter relatively to temperature regulation as performed by a thermostat (where some feedback loop is formed by this tandem: a sensor and a power stage)...

Lets wish i'm mistaking. Yet, it might be interresting to know for sure if you've got both!

Well said.

Quality is available now, at a cost . . .

t-dub,

Bouldorado

That easy vape is a real pos, sorry to inform you. It was actually my first vape as well. And it had the same temperature problems as yours. I had it combust at around 300-320 so I eventually just threw it away. After modifying it to blow bags of course.

Bouldorado,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Bouldorado said:
That easy vape is a real pos, sorry to inform you. It was actually my first vape as well. And it had the same temperature problems as yours.
As mine? Which vape do I own that has temp issues? The HerbalAire was my first . . . never had a problem with it temperature wise. Its hard to slow down sometimes but when I reach doneness I just dump the crucible out into my lab fridge and I'm good.

Edit: My apologies . . . thanks Stu VVV

t-dub,

HuskerMath

Really, I have no gripes with it. The "thermometer" issue is really a minor inconvenience - frankly, it's already saved me a good $150 in herb costs.

HuskerMath,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I think that's awesome that you've been able to save on herb. Congrats!

I must say that if you are pleased with your unit, then you will be blown away by the latest and greatest vaporizers out there today.

Stu,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations T-Dub,
Greetings everyone!

t-dub said:
Quality is available now, at a cost . . .

Indeed and i might add that some customers need to broaden their perspective significantly by considering how much it would have cost them to develop & build their own vaporizer! Some of us here know all too well the difference between mass-market products and small-scale fully customized devices. As far as i'm concerned i can accept, for that matter, that an artisan producing a professional-looking object can't deliver it at the same cost as one working for some Asian sweat-shop exploiting imbalances between our economic systems.

In my opinion it's a mistake to base such a particular purchasing decision on the cost alone for a long-term application like ours - which in essence IS what the customer does exactly by selecting the cheapest Chineese clone available on the e-market, at the additional cost of being lied to like there's no tomorrow.

If i must express my profound feelings about the subject then i'll say i just have no respect for anyone trying to sell a digital dimmer pretending it's a thermostat as i find that rude, i guess. That's all.

These are two very different things and i'm not ready to compensate for such an unhealthy economic bias by agreeing to adapt my ritual to a cheap clone time after time after time simply because of greed - YES, GREED - as one has to be greedy (and unethical) to sell FAKES without any remorse.

By chance the Easy Vape isn't one of them, right? Well... I mean, IS IT???

106.gif

That's all it boils down to. Sorry guys, i understand it belongs to you to decide what's the correct combination of trade-offs for you but don't ask me to remain contemplative when it should be made crystal-clear to everyone that some of those digital displays out there only happen to reflect a power-level instead of temperature!!!

Decidedly, it doesn't help to print the "F" label on any dimmer: i'd much prefer using a linear bar display like those we used to get in our audio equalizers a couple decades ago! The Arizer Solo is a perfect illustration of that concept and we should all wish that it becomes epidemic throughout the vaporist universe - and beyond!!!

My appologies if these comments of mine sound controversial at best but that's all there is on my mind about those "affordable" vaporizer clones under the circumstances. Just like most people here, i suppose, it's not necessary to convince anyone that there ought to be economical options, euh... But PLEASE... Lets have the facts straightly put if/when possible! Maybe other members can and will recommend a particular item without knowing what its main features are (those who read me are aware that i'd love to peek inside a Vaporite Glow Pro, for example - but i still can't recommand it so far). Hence the natural urge to investigate for those who are curious, like me. Buying my HerbalAire was an act of faith but there were solid testimonies to back that move, otherwise i MUST have a look inside: it's how my brain works.

Finally, lets not forget that a decent vaporizer WILL pay for itself in a matter of months (in terms of herb$). That little trivial detail alone should suffice as a convincing argument in a world where cannabis is an expensive "consumable" to come by!... Think of all those precious & noble molecules which will never reach your blood stream on occasions, or those destroyed accidently as a result of one's less-than-perfect ritual (since people are no machines!), after all.

Isn't that worth the additional investment?...

Egzoset,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
nice post! also, "a digital dimmer pretending it's a thermostat ". i picked up on this comment because that's how i started my trip to computer controlled temperature. the problem i had with a digital dimmer is it doesn't compensate for the instanteous cooling during the hit, nor the heat saturation that happens as the internals of the vape finally hit a stable temperature.

and i discovered these factors can measured and adjusted for by computer and thermocouple. instantaneously. plus the inital heatup can be much quicker.

Hippie Dickie,

HuskerMath

No, I definitely agree - it is somewhat unethical. I mean, the unit was under $100, I didn't EXPECT all these bells and whistles, so even if they straight up told me that there was no thermometer, I probably still would have gotten it. The vape is a good for beginners (like myself), but if you want more control and have more of a passion for the act - as all you of you seem to do - then this certainly isn't the unit of choice. In short, it boils down to this: if you're not sure if you want a vape or not, this is a good deal, because even if you hate it, you've only dropped under $100. No big deal. Which is, frankly, what I was looking for. I'll probably upgrade and go big when I move again in the next two years.

HuskerMath,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
My only concern is that a "noob" might base his/her whole opinion of what vaping is like based on an experience with one of these devices, and decide vaping sucks. I have a relative that did exactly this.

t-dub,

HuskerMath

Well if they say vaping sucks with this unit, they're not viewing it right. Like I said, I've already saved a bunch of cash, and it gives better effects than smoking. Simple logic tells me that a better unit will perform much better.

HuskerMath,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Hippie Dickie,
Salutations HuskerMath,
Salutations T-Dub,

Hippie Dickie said:
...i picked up on this comment because that's how i started my trip to computer controlled temperature.

Your Bud Toaster project reminds me of a "Gyrator" (also known as a synthetic coil), the analogy being that a gyrator (which behaves like a coil within its operating range) happens to be minuscule in size when compared to a real "passive" (and expen$ive!) component. In the BT case it seems we have another type of heater element sharing some characteristics of a much larger one in terms of physical size, so... Please correct me if my assumption is wrong but my guess is that the future Bud Toaster owners will benefit from having a heater with the virtual size of a kitchen appliance, perhaps even more - and this allows the creation of an agile heat source capable of responding to the microcontroller much faster than some equivalent conventional element while your design simulates one of enormous dimensions.

Put briefly, this mix of HardWare & SoftWare makes it possible to miniaturize the vaporizer (and render it portable) when compared to a solution providing equivalent "heat saturation" based on HardWare alone. Euh...

Of course your own views on this specific subject would be most appreciated, Hippie Dickie!
77.gif

HuskerMath said:
The vape is a good for beginners (like myself), but if you want more control and have more of a passion for the act - as all you of you seem to do - then this certainly isn't the unit of choice.

First of all let me apologize if i sound like i'm trying to break the toys of others as i would hate that. Yet, i believe this statement needs to be rephrased slightly... In my opinion, the customer HAS to be in control when his vaporizer isn't! Here's what i mean: it's true the traditional soldering iron/dimmer concept may be fine for someone with great pulmonary capacity and a good understanding of what's going on inside the vaporization cavity, etc. Hopefully, such persons won't experience major issues in acquiring a suitable "ritual". To me that may very well turn out to be the opposite of what's required for an initiation to vaporism though, especially that of someone with not so great lungs!!! Otherwise i can accept that the necessary trade-offs will be acceptable to the average individual with lungs compensating for some reduced budget.

Personnally, my passion and/or need for control wouldn't be the reason(s) why i'd discard the Easy Vape as a friend's option: i have others already stated previously (e.g. i'd want to know what one can manage to obtain in exchange for his money). This is only one example that comes to me, i suppose there can be other variations based on similar themes...

t-dub said:
My only concern is that a "noob" might base his/her whole opinion of what vaping is like based on an experience with one of these devices, and decide vaping sucks.

I share this opinion 100 %, that's one of those "variations on a theme" i have in mind, actually! Gimme a hug you vaporist brother!...
6.gif

3.gif

HuskerMath said:
Simple logic tells me that a better unit will perform much better.

I share this opinion too so you won't get an argument from me about that, amen!
signofcross.gif

Egzoset,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
If you want to upgrade from that Easy Vape to something much better and more versatile I'd get a V-tower. You can probably find them (V-tower, not EQ, so no bag blowing) for around 80 dollars nowadays. Check ebay and amazon.

You can leave buds in there for a long long time and they wont get spent or browned up, you can turn it up VERY high and get all the goodies out of your buds but still not combust, just get that dark brown abv.

it is a VERY good buy for a new vaporist. It was my upgrade from the original "easy vape" style model and Its served me very well!

MarcellusWiley,

HuskerMath

Yeah, I definitely plan on coming back here to get the information when I replace this. Just out of curiosity, I went on a few sites featuring only vapes, and those things can get insanely expensive. $650? Really? That's more than my freaking rent right now lol

HuskerMath,

Egzoset

Banned
Hi HuskerMath,

HuskerMath said:
...those things can get insanely expensive. $650? Really?

You're not the only one around here to be reluctant to send 600+ $ to Germany, to say the least! Just for the fun of it, have you looked at economic and yet healty alternatives? I'm thinking of this one at the moment:

YouTube: LOXLUX - NEW VAPBONG EXPERIENCE (3:49)

...a "bright" idea isn't it?!...

YouTube: LOXLUX - NEW VAPBONG EXPERIENCE (1:12)

58.gif

Perhaps that's not the ultimate "extractor" but the customer can continue to use his halogen lamp in the event that the VapBong vaporizer might fail to please him, so the loss would only be partial... It's all glass where it counts most, there's a tiny bit of screen but i'll bet the average stoner can tolerate having that in the vapor stream, right?. In any case, i sort of find the "stealth" aspect of this device unusually creative:

loxlux.gif

The cost for the whole kit would be less than 200 $... The Vapolution 2.0 is another possibility in that price range. Both units are featured with linear power control instead of a closed-loop (dynamic) temperature regulator.

3.gif

Egzoset,

hogleg

I always suggest a vaporgenie to my friends as a first gaps you can use it anywhere and it really helps you learn how vapes work. IMO the vapolution could be frustrating to a person new to vaping it works well but is very finnicky

hogleg,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Hogled,

hogleg said:
I always suggest a vaporgenie to my friends as a first...

They all come with their own sets of trade-offs/shortcomings. I offered a VaporGenie to somebody i care for deeply, the guy lives in a remote town and i know he's been addicted to some "harder" drugs than just cannabis alone in the past... When questioned (twice!) about the possibility to use a VaporGenie with such "poisons", for all practical purposes (as far as i'm concerned anyway), euh... i'm sorry to say the manufacturer provided no answer whatsoever: this aspect was totally ignored in both of the e-mails i received from VaporGenie, hence i can no longer recommend that particular vaporizer neither! My decision to still offer one as a Chrtistmass gift was a complete act of faith which i wouldn't repeat twice, not to mention that i got banned on a couple systems because i dared to ask about it (nobody cared to provide sound advice despite my genuine concern)...

Let me explain what it all boils down to: cost ain't the only parameter, most of us here have become aware of this fact early. My annecdotal story suggests there's more, sometimes much more, including the people a consumer will have to deal with!

33.gif

I made a blind decision hoping for the best but i'm still not sure if it was the right thing to do. All i know is that VaporGenie couldn't care less... In short, perhaps the device is great but i've got some serious reserves relatively to customer service.

Egzoset,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom