THIS FORUM ROCKS!

Which FC forum do you like better?

• Total voters

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
If you look to the right of the forum board, under the members online and forum statistics, you will now see links to Vaporpedia and Chat.

momofthegoons,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Front page, right sidebar. It's inconspicuous but give vtac a chance to recover from the move. He'll take care of it.

pakalolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
AHA! I see it's payback time, mom. I type too slowly.

Edited: ...and now I've double-posted. Curse you momofthegoons, your revenge kung fu is strong.

pakalolo,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Just noticed that there is quick navigation aviable.. :p.. Maybe a bit DPI increase or Color change but i am fine now when i know where it is .
-------------------------------------------------- Edited : Sry guys.. i think it is fine now,my explorer view was set on 69 percent :p..

Abysmal Vapor,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Now that I am used to this forum, it is even more awesomer-est!

However I wonder why this happens:

If I don't look (or post? not sure) in a thread long enough (a few days?), I stop getting Alerts about that thread.

Anyone know why?

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I noticed this too, but in my case it was because when I got a notification (via email), I didn't return to the thread itself and only read the 'blip' of it in the email. Then, once I returned to the thread... its started giving me the notification again.

Cld be your issue, or not, but was my observation....

EDIT: forgot to say...... YES ! I like this forum software much much better ;)

smokum,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Xenforo assumes that if you ignore an alert, you don't care about that thread any more and stops alerting you. You can always visit your Watched Thread page for the latest info regardless of whether you get an alert for it.

I don't rely on alerts or the Watched Threads page myself. I just check the list of threads for a particular forum because I haven't marked any threads to be watched. The only ones that are watched are ones I've posted in (this is by default) and I follow lots of threads I never post in, but never bother to mark as watched.

pakalolo,
Reactions: Vicki

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Xenforo assumes that if you ignore an alert, you don't care about that thread any more and stops alerting you. You can always visit your Watched Thread page for the latest info regardless of whether you get an alert for it.

I don't rely on alerts or the Watched Threads page myself. I just check the list of threads for a particular forum because I haven't marked any threads to be watched. The only ones that are watched are ones I've posted in (this is by default) and I follow lots of threads I never post in, but never bother to mark as watched.

Thanks!

So, if I don't click the Alert itself - xenforo thinks I don't want to read that thread anymore?

sessnet,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Personally, I think that system isn't very good. Often times I will roll over the Alert thread and sometimes either:

A. Not be able to finish clicking on all the threads in the alert mini-popup window. Either because of a glitch, time constraint, or failure to realize there is more, and you need to scroll down.
or
B. Rollover by mistake, expose that little window, even though I had no intention of checking any of the threads.

Anyway there nothing I can do about it, other than make sure to read all the threads. I think it's weird that it assumes you aren't watching the thread any more, even if you visit that thread the next day or two etc.

sessnet,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I would love to go back to the old forum to be honest.

It's just to complicated for me personally. I loose track of a lot of threads now, and often don't even notice new threads anymore until someone bumps them back up to the front page again.

I prefer the simpler things in life I guess. The only progress is the new search engine imo, but that too still has it's shortcomings. All the other features just seem unnecessary gimmicks to me.

OhTheAgony,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Personally, I think that system isn't very good. Often times I will roll over the Alert thread and sometimes either:

A. Not be able to finish clicking on all the threads in the alert mini-popup window. Either because of a glitch, time constraint, or failure to realize there is more, and you need to scroll down.
or
B. Rollover by mistake, expose that little window, even though I had no intention of checking any of the threads.

Anyway there nothing I can do about it, other than make sure to read all the threads. I think it's weird that it assumes you aren't watching the thread any more, even if you visit that thread the next day or two etc.

Well you're not alone thinking the behaviour should be different, as you'll see if you poke around that forum a bit.

The easiest way to deal with it is ignore Alerts and simply use the Watched Threads page. Or, do as I do and simply visit all the forums you're interested in and click on the threads with unread posts that you're interested in. I don't find Alerts particularly useful.

OTA: If you never mark all threads read then it's easy to see new threads using the method I just described. There's no way they'll revert to the old software. Also, while you might not see the advantages of the new software, others use the new features that perhaps you don't care about, such as Conversations. In particular, although I'm not a moderator I have explored the Xenforo software a bit, and the moderator interface seems to be big improvement over fluxBB (the old software).

pakalolo,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Sorry I'd like to rephrase. I think the Alert system is effing awesome, it is just that one behaviour is super wacky. I wish the thread alert would never go away!

Looking at the Watched Threads pages seems like the best idea, thanks for that!

However I am not sure I understand the other way you mentioned. Are you going to the main list and just clicking on the title of each thread you're interested in?

sessnet,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
However I am not sure I understand the other way you mentioned. Are you going to the main list and just clicking on the title of each thread you're interested in?

Yeah, I just run down through the forums and look into each one. Because I never mark all threads read, the ones with unread posts are easy to spot, and I just visit the ones I'm interested in. I do this because I don't "watch" every thread I'm interested in. If you do that, then the Watched Thread page is everything you need. It's all down to personal preferences for how you use the site. Xenforo gives a number of options that fluxBB didn't.

pakalolo,
Reactions: sessnet

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
I love the concepts of this forum software. Its the culmination of a LOT of ideas, from past forum software. They took a lot of good ideas and implemented them into one package. Problem is, it still isn't ready for prime time.

I'm wholeheartedly behind wishing death, long and painful for the bugs that plague the alert system. Why? Because I like it so much and it won't work right! Aggravating as Hell! I'm about to go ballistic all up in its, face! :cuss:

But, eh... I live with it.
new_bluegrab.gif

BigDaddyVapor,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Yeah it is a little frustrating. Sometimes it seems a thread will just disappear from the Alerts, for no reason. Just happened with the Solo for me, even though I posted a dozen things, in that thread, alone, today.

Will pray the mods can turn this off somehow :bowdown:

sessnet,

hogleg

Just found out I could ignore someone that is a spectacular feature

hogleg,

zossdole

I'm quite enjoying the new forum software. It was a Simple Machines Forum before, right (or VBulletin, can't quite remember). Either way, XenForo has impressed me, it retains the look of a VB forum but has more functionality it seems (though I haven't used the latest VB, only versions <4.0)

zossdole,

placetime

Anybody notice that you can now get rid of the messages that pop up at the top? (e.g., "What does SSTB mean?") Nice addition vtac! :clap::rockon:

Selah

Enjoying the finer things in life
The most important thing on a forum is the community, so yes this forum rocks!!

Top Bottom