Thinking about buying a Volcano - talk me down!

duh

My main issue is what to do w/abv that is still 'in play'. This is the same combo many people use - PD or another direct draw vape and re-vape hotter on the SSV/E/DB, etc. Let's say $ is no option, what do you do w/abv that can't be cooked (wife won't let me)?

My E is a bit slow on balloons which made me think of the Volcano. I prefer balloons for ABV but can't put my finger on why. I'm open to getting Vaporfection, the SSV or the DB as well - but I have found the 'chore' of using the wands to be much like captainhits puts it - a science project. I have used the Volcano, and it is brain dead easy to use.

Please help me down - I know I'm not supposed to get one of these :)

duh,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
If money is no concern why are you so concerned about re-vaping herb?

By all means get a 'cano if you want to satisfy your curiosity. Or get a divorce? :D

vtac,

duh

vtac said:
If money is no concern why are you so concerned about re-vaping herb?
:lol: The principal of it, I guess. Sacrilege to not use all of the plant and all that.

duh,

thejudge320

is it really that much of a science project to hold the wand up to the heating element? i know with the ssv you can vape your shit down about as dark as you want. :o

thejudge320,

duh

thejudge320 said:
is it really that much of a science project to hold the wand up to the heating element? i know with the ssv you can vape your shit down about as dark as you want. :o
Those monster wand hits require a lot of screen chores. My E dome screens have a constant rotation through iso. By constant, I mean, daily at a minimum. The other unit's don't require so much care.

I hope this thread doesn't devolve into me wand-bashing - but yeah - it is a chore to load the wand, at least w/my E. The PD seems pretty simple as is the LB. The LT sucks. Volcano easy. To me, it's all about reload time.

duh,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
Get a mini propane camping grill and cook up the duff butter outside somewhere. Preferably in the woods away from the wife :brow: at most it would cost you 50 bucks and you would end up spending 3-4 hours of your life trying....not so hard ;)

if not that then.....

Get Bacardi 151 and soak the tan duff in the solvent for a quick 10-12 seconds. I'm not 100% on that method but it seems it could work. Here's one guy that attempted that method :tup:
j6p said:
P.P.S - This can also be done with vaporizer duff - recipe as follows;

1. collect vapor duff in glass jar
2. pour enough 151 just to cover vapor duff - shake if you can
3. wait
4. strain/pour off

this does not taste very good, tasting as you would expect like toasted weed, but will squeeze extra medication out of your vapor duff. If you use just enough to cover the resulting tincture will be as strong as the one above - i.e. 10-15ml effective dosing - I do recommend double pouring off with this - that is to say that you should leave the final filter product to settle and pour off the top only - discarding the particulates instead of ingesting them as I recommended above with fresh herb made tincture.
http://www.cannabis-world.org/cw/showthread.php?t=2272 (post#7)

Hennessy1414,

max

Out to lunch
After your first sentence about abv I was going to suggest the herbalAire instead of the Volcano, since it has been shown to get more out of Volcano leavings (more efficient), but if the Extreme is too slow for you....

Only way I could recommend a 'cano to an Extreme owner is if you've got money to burn, or you intend to shop for a very used unit. Considering the cost, it's just overkill IMO.

max,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
duh said:
thejudge320 said:
Those monster wand hits require a lot of screen chores. My E dome screens have a constant rotation through iso. By constant, I mean, daily at a minimum. The other unit's don't require so much care.
Actually I have used the same elbow screen on my Extreme for over 9 months without removing it once or soaking in iso of any kind. Just clean it by tapping out the duff after every session, it is basically maintenance free. Yes resin builds up and gets vaped as a bonus.

Also the Extreme goes to 260c, pack your duff in the elbow, preheat at 260c for 15 minutes and hit that whip as hard as you can, your duff will be black and more used up than the Volcano which only heats up to 226c MAX. on original.

DeepFried,

duh

DeepFried said:
duh said:
thejudge320 said:
Actually I have used the same elbow screen on my Extreme for over 9 months without removing it once or soaking in iso of any kind. Just clean it by tapping out the duff after every session, it is basically maintenance free. Yes resin builds up and gets vaped as a bonus.

Also the Extreme goes to 260c, pack your duff in the elbow, preheat at 260c for 15 minutes and hit that whip as hard as you can, your duff will be black and more used up than the Volcano which only heats up to 226c MAX. on original.
260c as hard as you can? I can't handle that kind of harsh temps on my throat. I can barely handle 230c and am most comfortable at 170c (v3). This is an interesting screen technique. Not to get into a 'E' thread, but sticky strains also seem to clog the dome.

So far, (as usual) I find Hennessy's advice the best - except in LA - the woods are hard to find and a public park is probably not a good idea - I hate Bacardi (Tijuana can do that to you :D) but could use a friend's kitchen though. I also hate the idea of buying that overpriced German machine (Volcano) - especially after seeing how arrogant the company is about the product! Finally, I find the 7th floor stuff to be really cheesy looking and their legendary non-support to be a non-starter for me so far.

Getting a used Volcano in LA is easy but a new one is about the same price. The Digitals go for 550 unopened. Still pricey, though...

duh,

Neuro

If you like the Volcano and can afford it, I would say go for it. I did after much hesitation, and I am very happy with it. The ease of use is something I enjoy every time I use it: quick to load, quick to unload, no glass to break, and very efficient even with small doses (25-30 mg). It is not the best vaporizer for everyone, but if you are looking for efficiency, ease of use and durability ... well, to my limited knowledge, it is one of the best for these features.

Neuro

Neuro,

duh

I think I may follow max's advice and get a used one - its just the principle of not putting $ directly into the pockets of S&B. Hennessy has a nasty thread of quotes from them. They do make a neat device, but a bit over-blown.

max - i'm curious - do you revape w/the ssv? do you you the ssv first as well? the ssv/pd combo seems so popular, i figure there must be something to it...

duh,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Duh - why not make cannabutter out of our ABV instead of vaporizing it til everything is gone?

Sorry if that's been suggested already, I just skimmed this thread really quick while at work...

stonemonkey55,

duh

Thanks for jumping in stonemonkey, I put it in at the top - my wife doesn't want me cooking in the kitchen. As it is known, abv cooking is going to stink - and I have some good stuff too. Of course there is the possibility of cooking w/the windows and fans when she isn't home or ditching her as vtac suggested. :brow:
:lol:

Cooking ABV w/Liquid Nitrogen?

duh,
Top Bottom