Discontinued ThermoVape

jammies

OF said:
jammies said:
its when i unlosen the mouthpiece just a bit when hit and i feel thicker vapor

Funny world, one time I forgot to tighten the cap back up and I noticed the hit seemed light?? Gotta wonder why we had two such different experiences.....

As to the sound, it well could be water boiling out of not properly cured bud. At one point I tried to quantify the water in cured bud but found it varied quite a bit but I decided it was on the part with THC, a dozen percent or so of the weight. More than that is going to slow things down (did you notice that) and kind of 'steam' the load at first (easy to spot, really).

Anyway, if it is slower to start vaping and after the first try the load seems moist and fresh still I'll bet that's your problem. It should eventually vape, of course.

OF
I noticed when heat for 10sec. I get the fuzzing sound and yes i did see a small a mist come off the weed then put cap on and i got some nice vapor taking 3 or 4 hit fast with slow draw for 2sec works best for me.

jammies,

NewSchoolExplorer

Hey I have been noticing that my TV gets really hot after about 2 bowls even the batteries get hot and I remove the bottom end to cool down the metal case holding the batteries and switch batteries with a fresh pair. I feel that it hits best (visible vapor and more profound taste) when the bowl is slightly warm from a few draws but I cannot hit it much more than 2 maybe 3 bowls. I do not think I am abusing the unit and usually stop vaping when my greens get a slight brown tint to them.

Does your T1 & batteries get hot? (The unit gets hot)
Also how many bowls do you vape through it when this occurs?
What suggestions to avoid avoid this?

NewSchoolExplorer,

PB88123

Vaporist
NewSchoolExplorer said:
Hey I have been noticing that my TV gets really hot after about 2 bowls even the batteries get hot and I remove the bottom end to cool down the metal case holding the batteries and switch batteries with a fresh pair. I feel that it hits best (visible vapor and more profound taste) when the bowl is slightly warm from a few draws but I cannot hit it much more than 2 maybe 3 bowls. I do not think I am abusing the unit and usually stop vaping when my greens get a slight brown tint to them.

Does your T1 & batteries get hot? (The unit gets hot)
Also how many bowls do you vape through it when this occurs?
What suggestions to avoid avoid this?

I've heard others say they vape "bowls." If you are packing a bowl, taking 6 hits, packing a new bowl and taking another 6 hits then yes it will get very hot.

It works best when it is warmed up. The first hit usually does this for me. Then I can take another 3 hits and be where I want. If someone needs 6+ hits in a short amount of time this device will get hot and may not be the right portable for you at this time. When there is a way to control the heat when taking multiple hits in a short amount of time then it will be the right vape for that kind of person.

To avoid this take 4-5 hits in a short amount of time. Give yourself 5-10 minutes and take another 4-5 hits.

PB88123,

towelieeeee

secret stoner
Dogman said:
OF said:
Dogman said:
I ordered some of the 1200 mah CR123a batteries with a 4 slot charger the other day and they should be here soon, I will post after a few runs to let you all know how they work, cross your fingers!

You might want to use serious caution with those batteries. They are NOT recommended. If you check back you'll note that only the specific make and model shipped by the factory is. The demands on batteries are excessive in this machine (15 Watts each), far past most. In general, higher capacity batteries sacrifice the very sort of feature we're looking for (high current) to get there (just like in car batteries trading Ah rating against Cold Cranking Current). These units were sure to have been evaluated and rejected by TV.

Perhaps more important you've heard about the chap that had his e-cig blow up on him and knock some teeth out? It was on just such a 'stacked battery' rig with inadequately protected cells. As I understand the problem when one cell discharges completely it can be 'reversed charged' by the remaining one in such high current situations with enough energy to boil the dead cell inside....making a bomb or rocket depending on what gives first.

Your call, of course, but I 'wouldn't go there'. FWIW, I'm not sure crossing fingers will be all that good a protection??

OF
Thank you OF, I should have mentioned these were LiFepO4 cells, so they are a protected cell. I appreciate your concern, these are advertised as high C rate discharge capability, and should be able to perform. I originally posted that I would not search out new batteries, and I am sure these that came with the unit are top of the line, but I am a trained electrical tech and will definitely monitor voltage and temperature of the batteries while testing.
You could very well be correct about the amps versus cold cranking amps comparison with these batteries too, but I love to experiment, and this could be fun.
I saw the article on the exploding e-cig a couple of weeks ago, and I also vape pg based nicotene, but I did research before purchasing my batteries to make sure the were a protected cell before I purchased them, I am kind of obsessive about research before purchasing anything, kind of why I read this entire thread before buying my T1.
Happy vaping to you my friend, I really do appreciate your concern.

Dang! Dogman -- thanks for pushing the boundaries on this, but please please please do be careful! I would hate for any sort of accident to happen just in the name of science... perhaps one of the TV'ers could chime in on this cell before you try 'em out???

towelieeeee,

OF

Dogman said:
I am a trained electrical tech and will definitely monitor voltage and temperature of the batteries while testing.
You could very well be correct about the amps versus cold cranking amps comparison with these batteries too, but I love to experiment, and this could be fun.

Cool. I suspect the key factor will be the Thevenin resistance of the combined cell and protective circuit? Are you set up to measure that at the 5 Amps involved?

I'll be most interested in what you find. But say, if this doesn't go right, can I have what's left of your T1?

OF

OF,

Boris Blank

Just got mine. Very nice so far, and very stealthy :ninja: . Would REALLY like to see that proposed flashlight attachment for travel; that plus a good cleaning would be perfect. A machined track to accept screen at the mouthpiece and coil ends of the tobac chamber would be awesome too as some material pulls through, but the machined holes clearly can not be smaller as it already pulls like a tightly rolled cigarette. Very efficient and perfect utilization of (legal) medicinal aromatherapeutic effects as of yet (as good or better effect as my Vapolution, MFLB, or Volcano and I wouldn't even mention my Inavap). Great product and I thank FC, as I would never have heard of this if it wasn't for this vulgarly apellated forum of valuable information. I'm now smoke free after 17 years of heavy combustion. I blow glass so that was a weird transition, but now when I try to smoke I am repulsed by the experience. I will now have to start making vaporizer parts I guess. I realize this has all most likely been said before and that I am not the paragon of forum etiquette but I wanted to give props to Thermo Essence as I feel it is due. Thanks for the awesome vape. Customer service is great and you seem to respect that this is for some a medical device. I will be looking into liquid attachments and probably will check out your E-cigs for me wife, I am def impressed so far (keep in mind that's about half an hour folks, but seems 100% solid in manufacture and effect, pretty confident in it)

Boris Blank,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Glad you like your new toy, Boris Blank. ;)

It's always nice to have glass blowers around here. Custom glass parts for vaporizers is turning into quite the niche market and the "need" for vape-related glass seems to be growing at a healthy clip.

Welcome to the forum, btw. :cheers:

:peace:

Stu,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Boris if you are looking for some glass work I'm looking for a small portable water filtration device for the thermovape. I bet others are too...

Welcome!

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Am I alone in thinking that the high given by the TV is unique for some reason? I don't mean in a bad way like inhaling chemicals or anything negative at all, but if I had to describe it I'd say it feels the most like smoking a bowl (without the smoke side effects) out of all of the vapes I've tried. Each vape seems to do this to a lesser extent, but with the TV I get a totally unique high that I don't get with ANY vape.

I find this consistently with it too. This may make it an even better transitional vape for smokers, but personally I don't understand how it would logically feel different, but for me it does, and I like that a lot.

darkrom,

jammies

i have found with damp weed if i just take 1 hit of it in my DVB on low temp to just to dry it out quick and save it to use later with TV1 so it dont wast all the power drying out weed. I feel its give me much more hits and power last longer. i like how the rich vapor is and if i just use it quick and get one or two big hits power is much longer lasting.

jammies,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
OF said:
Dogman said:
I am a trained electrical tech and will definitely monitor voltage and temperature of the batteries while testing.

Cool. I suspect the key factor will be the Thevenin resistance of the combined cell and protective circuit? Are you set up to measure that at the 5 Amps involved?

I'll be most interested in what you find. But say, if this doesn't go right, can I have what's left of your T1?

OF
Yes, I have digital amperage gauges and plan on using a 30 watt light bulb (as long as the resistance of 1.3 ohms is equal) as a test bed for monitoring the batteries for even voltage and amperage loss. I have no intentions of placing these in my T1 until I am sure they will stand up to the punishment. I love to experiment, but not with my face and mouth as the test bed.

From my understanding, the LiFepO4 batteries shut their own circuit off at 2.8 volts, which I experienced once trying to wean another hit from my T1, it just absolutely would not refire below 2.8 volts.

And for you OF, any serious problems that arise during my experiments and i will make sure to leave the rest of my T1 to you in my last will and testament. LOL!

Dogman,

OF

Dogman said:
Yes, I have digital amperage gauges and plan on using a 30 watt light bulb (as long as the resistance of 1.3 ohms is equal) as a test bed for monitoring the batteries for even voltage and amperage loss. I have no intentions of placing these in my T1 until I am sure they will stand up to the punishment. I love to experiment, but not with my face and mouth as the test bed.

From my understanding, the LiFepO4 batteries shut their own circuit off at 2.8 volts, which I experienced once trying to wean another hit from my T1, it just absolutely would not refire below 2.8 volts.

And for you OF, any serious problems that arise during my experiments and i will make sure to leave the rest of my T1 to you in my last will and testament. LOL!

Sounds like you've got enough of a plan to at least get a solid start. I like the lamp idea, it's a good one for a number of reasons, however stable load resistance is probably not amongst them (resistance often changes radically with temperature). Lucky for us all we need is two Voltage readings, one OC the other loaded near the working current (but exact value not important as long as we can measure current and Voltage). Rth (what we need to find) is fairly stable with current as long as we read it fairly near the five Amp level.

In the past when I had to do a lot of this sort of stuff, I used a whole bank of headlight bulbs and knife switches to make the load 'on the fly'.

Thanks for the reservation on the T1. The odds are small, but......

OF

Edit: I've no idea of what value of Rth is appropriate, but suspect it's a few dozen miliohms at most? Under 100 at any rate. Past that and self heating is going to eat the battery pack in short order you'd think. Please measure the factory battery as well? TIA OF

OF,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
OF said:
In the past when I had to do a lot of this sort of stuff, I used a whole bank of headlight bulbs and knife switches to make the load 'on the fly'.

Thanks for the reservation on the T1. The odds are small, but......

OF

Edit: I've no idea of what value of Rth is appropriate, but suspect it's a few dozen miliohms at most? Under 100 at any rate. Past that and self heating is going to eat the battery pack in short order you'd think. Please measure the factory battery as well? TIA OF
That is funny as hell OF, when I was working for the radio control industry, we were doing a lot of experimentation with Nicad cells in the early 80's, I used the exact same set up with knife switches and headlight bulbs to test different Nicads for current and voltage for use in radio control race cars, trying to squeeze a few more seconds of run time with high current motors to make the 3 or 4 minute mark.

I am absolutely going to test the factory cell side by side with the newer cells, just for comparison purposes. That way I will have data from both to compare life and current drain. I will run different time tests on each cell, trying a full drain from start to finish and then a full drain with pauses in between heating of the bulb, similar to the working set up of the T1, on for 20 to 30 seconds with measured pauses in between. My guess is these cells have already been tried by the Thermovape team, but I am a guy that likes to see for myself, and the investment for the new cells with the 4 bank charger is less than 20 bucks, a small investment for possible longer battery life.

If worse comes to worse, I will have some extra Cr 123a batteries for my fleet of LED flashlights, 1200mah is a far site better than the ones I am using now. One of my Mini lights has a 10 watt LED, run that for a few and the battery becomes quite warm also. Have a laid back weekend OF, more to come soon.

Dogman,

OF

Cool, Dogman, looking forward to the data.

In my case we were trying to build a big/cheap/dependable (smell a salesman in here somewhere?) switching supply for 'shore power' for RV types. ATT we made florescent lamps for RVs, lots and lots of lamps. 1500 a day, give or take. The switcher was in the one to two kW range (lotsa Amps at 12 Volts nominal....). Not a trivial task, even today, as you might imagine we failed to produce a one kW design for under a hundred dollars prime. Fun times.

Good luck.

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Need help ASAP guys. The core part is stuck in the delrin sleeve. and my TV no longer heats up at all. Very frustrating.

h89db.jpg

uXBLF.jpg

As you can tell there IS material that has fallen into the heater core, which is why I attempted to clean it in the first place. I really can't get the delrin off and have already scratched the area near the switch to do so.

I have to say while this is my first problem besides a defective battery, it is a pretty big one. Frustrated and sore from trying to get that god damn sleeve off.

Any idea what I should do at this point? Also, even with the spring fully depressed so it can't move, I hear things rattling around in the heater core. I don't know what to do about any of this but it sucks.

I think perhaps the core sleeve is on backwards? I cant get the cap to even screw on now. VERY frustrated!

darkrom,

PB88123

Vaporist
darkrom said:
Need help ASAP guys. The core part is stuck in the delrin sleeve. and my TV no longer heats up at all. Very frustrating.

As you can tell there IS material that has fallen into the heater core, which is why I attempted to clean it in the first place. I really can't get the delrin off and have already scratched the area near the switch to do so.

I have to say while this is my first problem besides a defective battery, it is a pretty big one. Frustrated and sore from trying to get that god damn sleeve off.

Any idea what I should do at this point? Also, even with the spring fully depressed so it can't move, I hear things rattling around in the heater core. I don't know what to do about any of this but it sucks.

I think perhaps the core sleeve is on backwards? I cant get the cap to even screw on now. VERY frustrated!

To remove the black delrin take out the switch first and then drop the delrin piece in some boiling water for a minute. Take it out and with gloves on (or something so you don't burn your hands) push from the bottom and it should pop right off.

PB88123,

darkrom

Great Scott!
PB88123 said:
darkrom said:

To remove the black delrin take out the switch first and then drop the delrin piece in some boiling water for a minute. Take it out and with gloves on (or something so you don't burn your hands) push from the bottom and it should pop right off.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to find time to boil it I guess. I really appreciate the tip. It is upside down in that pic right?

Also, if I can find out why it's not heating I could probably just heat it and not have to boil it, but it won't warm up.

darkrom,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Well I was able to heat it up with new batteries and flip delrin that I put on backwards.

The only thing I want to know now is what is rattling around inside the core itself? The one area I cant open and look inside has something inside it rattling :/

darkrom,

PB88123

Vaporist
darkrom said:
Well I was able to heat it up with new batteries and flip delrin that I put on backwards.

The only thing I want to know now is what is rattling around inside the core itself? The one area I cant open and look inside has something inside it rattling :/

I think they all rattle a little bit (mine does). No worries there. Just get it all put back together and continue on vaping!

edit: Random info: On one set of batteries I got 11 hits with an on time of 5 minutes and 30 seconds. If you have a stopwatch just start it and stop it when it is on and count how many hits you get.

PB88123,

OF

darkrom said:

Glad to hear you got it apart again and have it assembled correctly now.

I wouldn't worry about a small rattle, mine does as well. My guess is it's the ceramic support pins in the centers of the coils, they are somewhat loose in that ares because stuff changes size a lot with heat.

What's the story with the dead battery? I don't recall those issues......

OF

OF,

exmilker

im a heavy medicater, and after saying "FUCKCOMBUSTION" I no longer use a lighter to get medicated while on the go, so i turn to my T1... i must say i use my T1 quite often with no problems, works like a dream once i have learned the "T1 ways"... but after heavy use, i find my batteries takes less time for it to be fully charge... im down to around 15mins give or take for fully charged compared to 1.5 hours to fully charged when i first got my T1. im still able to do one pair of batteries = one bowl, but i am wondering is the 15min charged up time compared to the 1.5hour charge up time affecting the performance of the battery? as in, in desperate times i wont be able to stretch the life of my batteries because their dying of heavy use? i have only had my T1 for a little over a month.... i dont know how many times i have charged it, but it sure does not feel like 1000x? does anyone else have the same issue? or is it even a issue, is what i am wondering since my T1 still works fine :)

exmilker,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OF said:
darkrom said:

Glad to hear you got it apart again and have it assembled correctly now.

I wouldn't worry about a small rattle, mine does as well. My guess is it's the ceramic support pins in the centers of the coils, they are somewhat loose in that ares because stuff changes size a lot with heat.

What's the story with the dead battery? I don't recall those issues......

OF

I got a dead battery. TV offered to replace it initially, but I bought it from Easy Vape's ebay store and would have had to ship the battery out anyway so it would have been a wash. So I have an odd number (5) batts. I'm going to try to order 3 more sometime soon since i have 2 of those mini 4 battery holders which are quite nice for portability.

I really love my TV overall. I feel it is the closest high to "smoking a bowl" as I've said. More relaxing somehow than all the other vpaes I've used, which I really can't explain at all. I'd love to know why it happens, but I'm certainly not complaining.

darkrom,

OF

darkrom said:
I got a dead battery. TV offered to replace it initially, but I bought it from Easy Vape's ebay store and would have had to ship the battery out anyway so it would have been a wash. So I have an odd number (5) batts. I'm going to try to order 3 more sometime soon since i have 2 of those mini 4 battery holders which are quite nice for portability.

I really love my TV overall. I feel it is the closest high to "smoking a bowl" as I've said. More relaxing somehow than all the other vpaes I've used, which I really can't explain at all. I'd love to know why it happens, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Thanks for the additional information. Dead out of the box, bummer. But better than an early death in service. I've seen individual batteries for sale (about 3 bucks?), although shipping might be an issue.

I too really enjoy the TV and feel 'close' to the vaping process. Something like with VG, only I think more intimate for some reason. I think it has more 'power on tap' than LB so it's easier to get higher temps on demand?

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Where have you seen the batteries that low? Looks like the prices on amazon skyrocketed...surprise surprise lol.

Yeah perhaps it is temp related. That's the only thing that makes sense I guess.

darkrom,

OF

darkrom said:
Where have you seen the batteries that low? Looks like the prices on amazon skyrocketed...surprise surprise lol.

Yeah perhaps it is temp related. That's the only thing that makes sense I guess.

http://www.all-battery.com/rcr123a30v750mahlifepo4rechargeablebattery.aspx

Out of stock at the moment, still available as a package with charger. Three bucks per.

I'd check again in a few days, these guys seem to restock quickly....good guys, they've got a lot of my money over the years.

OF

OF,
Top Bottom