Discontinued ThermoVape

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
Id be willing to bet that you will see the Revolution in i different light, it is not without small issues itself but easy vapor production and flavor are not among them, it is the only vape I've used since i got it lol

SF Giant,

PB88123

Vaporist
theVaporSpot said:
Well let's put it this way...
the Thermovape is sitting here at the Vapor Bar in Los Angeles...we're open till 9pm...
Come down and try them all head to head...Thermovape, Solo, NO2, Atmos Raw, MFLB..it'll be fun!
I can only give you the opinion of the 8 people that have tried it here at the bar, and my staff.
But 12 is a pretty good sample group wouldn't you say?

12 people is a good sample size but doesn't mean much if the technique is all wrong.

I will make a video tonight just like yours and will explain how I do everything to get good hits every time. It doesn't seem like much work once I got the hang of it.

PB88123,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
For any faults it has, IMO the TV does shine for flavor. I love my Solo, but I wouldn't say that the flavor is that great with it. I've yet to try the SS bowl, so maybe it's the ceramic that fouls the taste some in my unit? :shrug:

For vapor production the Solo wins hands down. But I don't think the TV is designed to compete with harder hitting units. It's definitely better suited for a single medicinal user (I almost wrote "solo use") while the Solo can be used with a pair, or even 3 people easily.

I think each has their strenghs and weaknesses and I'll continue to use both in different situations.

:peace:

Stu,

BudBuddy

The Vaped One
With the four friends/family members that have tried my vape I don't think any of them saw either the tv1 or revolution as a waste of money. My instructions consist of "Slide to turn on and hold it, wait 5 seconds and start to draw." that's pretty simple operation and the technicalities of how much vapor and how well it works is really up to the user. When I was showing it to two friends one got the hang of it first try (loved it), they just adjusted their draw speed till they felt the vapor. Other was having problems but was determined to get it because of how happy friend one was with it. Once they got it they agreed with a pretty goofy smile. Also turned quite a few heads with question in the dispensary today while showing it to the budtender. Following comments were: bad ass, awesome, I'm going to look into that.

BudBuddy,

theVaporSpot

Retailer
looking forward to an video illustrating technique by PB88123...

I'm really wanting this guy to hit right without scorching or stirring too much...bowl size, air speed, and preheating are all things I'll take into consideration this weekend...any other suggestions?

Wouldn't be much of a test kitchen at the Vapor Spot if i didn't take into account your suggestions...
if I'm wrong in my evaluations I'd be happy! This thing was pricey!

But those loving the flavor...do you ever get those little blackened bits? that just kills the whole bowl flavor for us here, and we kept getting singed edges at the bottom after just 2-3 "vapor producing" drags... Are you saying I should open the bowl and poke it / stir every other drag? that kinda kills the whole "stealth" thing huh? Does shaking or knocking (ala MFLB shaking?) work to stir it in your experience?
JJ

theVaporSpot,

theVaporSpot

Retailer
hey stu..what temp/setting do you vape with the SOLO? anything hotter than 3 and its drying out that oils flavor in my opinion...but its a balance of personal flavor vs robustness of heat...some like it hot! but I think at the expense of that flavor we are all talking about...my buddy enjoys his hits a lot more now that he went from 5 to 3 on the SOLO heat..

here's to subjective vaping! As long as we're loving our toys we all win!!

theVaporSpot,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I agree that while the unit is stealthy, mixing a bowl between hits is not. However I don't think stealth was one of the main objectives with this vape's design. It could be stealthy for a one-hitter, though. Just stir when you get some privacy. With enough stirring (PITA for some, I realize that) I find that the bowl provides good flavor with no scortching.

edit: I always use my Solo on #4 unless I've got some concentrates loaded....then I crank it up a little.

:2c:

Stu,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
One more thing: When I first opened the TV I did a live Skype sesh with Vito that had some of the same concerns listed in vaporspot's video. But I worked with the device for 2 days and pretty much had it nailed after that. Not too bad a learning curve imo. I worked with my MFLB for a year before opting to buy another portable. I also didn't write my final review of the TV until I had done plenty of testing. I was even handed and fair and gave no false illusions about any aspect of the device. Durability and form factor are a MUST for a portable that has to cross borders and you completely write them off like they are meaningless. There are trade-offs for these benefits. Also, never addressed in the review, was did anyone get medicated off the TV at all? If out of 12 people NO ONE got medicated that tells me something right there about your testing procedures . . . my TV gets me where I need to be every time now that I know how to use it. Improve your technique and you wont have singed bits, bad taste etc . . .

My review of the TV: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=182928#p182928

Edit: Fixed link, sorry its late.

t-dub,

BudBuddy

The Vaped One
Slightly unscrewing the top and giving it a few smack on the side in my palm between each hit has already become a second nature type thing with mine. Haven't had a burnt bowl yet. I feel that having a MFLB for so long before this has really primed me for this type of device. It really is all in your technique. Wish I had a video camera.

BudBuddy,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
BudBuddy said:
Slightly unscrewing the top and giving it a few smack on the side in my palm between each hit has already become a second nature type thing with mine. Haven't had a burnt bowl yet.

These are my results using this same technique. I now use this unit multiple times a day and never do I remove the cover and stir. Loosen the cover, turn upside down twice, tighten cover and back to vaping. I do this every two hits as two hits is usually all I need to take from this at a time to achieve desired effect.

Gonzo,

BudBuddy

The Vaped One
Awesome, yeah the secret I always felt for the mflb was the even mixing because of how it heated the trench but the same thing applies to this with the way the heat distributes from the bowl, gotta shift it around a bit. A more tube/cylindrical shaped bowl would be a sweet release I think, TV could call it the XL bowl or something as I'm sure it would hold quite a bit more not being a conical shape. Space out the holes and put more, but smaller ,would also help I imagine with heat distribution and the top piece could have a more conical shape to funnel the vapor out.

Also forgot to mention that I went to the local smoke shop today and got some screens. The 3/4" screens fit perfectly on the top section and now I get no more scooby snacks when I draw harder or use a finer grind (which I really prefer). The bowl keeps it secure up there just fine as well when shaking it. Now my only real qualm with the device is the worry of bits building up in the bottom falling through and getting scorched and stuck. I guess that's what the boiling clean method is for though, simple enough to do too.

BudBuddy,

OF

theVaporSpot said:
Are you saying I should open the bowl and poke it / stir every other drag? that kinda kills the whole "stealth" thing huh? Does shaking or knocking (ala MFLB shaking?) work to stir it in your experience?
JJ

I'm lurking on this exchange (and have therefore said noting....) but I will say that now. Yes, you should try it out before dismissing it. There's a lot of us here not sharing your experiences, and I think we've all done exactly that. This thread is full of such stories.

Oh, yes, fine grind is important IMO, I don't think that's been brought up?

It's been said 'the TV wants to teach you to use it right', but you have to experiment some not shy away from techniques based on their being 'work'. If you think about the nature of the holes that hot air comes through I think you'll see that not mixing is just going to overcook the already vaped material as it heats the more remote material up to 'the magic temperature'. Shaking won't do it unless a) there's plenty of room in there (partial fill) and b) the herb isn't lumped together. Most of the bud I've tried does clump together for the first few hits. This too needs checking and experiment.

Not sure what to say about the metal taste. Except maybe I too don't find it. You do know it's Nickle, not Chrome or Aluminum, a material not famous for taste. Could this be an expected result? What I do taste is the condensate from what came before. Changing strains is 'muddy' to me for a while. My experience is this is mostly in the cap and a ISO wash and blowing out the holes with a toothpick works wonders here. I guess if 'metal taste' was an issue to me it would rear it's ugly head about then?

Our collective experiences and advice is here although not convenient. For starters I suggest: grind fine, load part of the bowl, let the heater get to full temperature (say 8 seconds or so average?), pull fairly hard to move hot air into the bowl, as the temperature comes up modify your draw to control production. Keep the power on, regulate with draw in 'reverse LB' fashion (draw harder to heat, stop to cool it off). Physically mix the bowl to present different material on the next pass.

Sorry it didn't meet your expectations, and in fact might not if 'no work' is part of it, but it certainly has most of ours eventually. As a bar owner, I'm sure you've heard 'if three men in a row tell you you're drunk, it's time to sit down...'?

Thanks for the review and attention.

OF

OF,

theVaporSpot

Retailer
great descriptions guys..Can't wait to get back to the Vapor Bar and test....let you know soon if it is a gamechanger....this is exactly how a forum should work BTW..
yo tdub...i wish you could sample some more vapes for flava! come to the bar if in LA and i"ll gladly show you the VIP treatment...I just have a lot of vapes here at the bar to test drive. Hope to share the good, bad, and ugly of all of them...not hating...just participating...
JJ

theVaporSpot,

PB88123

Vaporist
OF said:
Our collective experiences and advice is here although not convenient. For starters I suggest: grind fine, load part of the bowl, let the heater get to full temperature (say 8 seconds or so average?), pull fairly hard to move hot air into the bowl, as the temperature comes up modify your draw to control production. Keep the power on, regulate with draw in 'reverse LB' fashion (draw harder to heat, stop to cool it off). Physically mix the bowl to present different material on the next pass.

Good points, OF.

In the video I mentioned about letting the TV warm up less the more you use it. I do that when I take 4 hits in a row (otherwise the TV will get really hot letting it warm up for 32 seconds). If I let the TV sit for more than 40 seconds just to talk to someone I will give it a full 8 second warm up time.

I do have to comment further on the warm up time. I noticed today it was taking 15-16 seconds to get that bright orange glow on fresh batteries. It was 13 days since I last boiled it. I gave it a good cleaning and now I am back to that 7-8 second 100% orange glow. I will now make a habit of boiling it every couple days when I notice it takes more seconds to warm up.

I also used the clean bowl for the video. I could tell a big difference from the dirty one by how easy it was to inhale. I start off slowly inhaling to let everything warm up to vaporization temp and then inhale faster.

I tried my best to explain what I was doing and why. If something doesn't make sense I can explain in text (or just read what OF said as I do what he does).

It is in 1080p (once it is done processing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhL1ZcaC1c

PB88123,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
theVaporSpot if you have a few minutes, and not to put you on the spot, but I am wondering how you (personally) rate the other portable vapes, in order. I am wondering what your top 5-ish portable vapes are and maybe why. I understand a portable vape is sort of like bring a knife to your vape-bar gun fight, but what I really want to know is what you think are the best ones.

And for me - third day in a row my ThermoVape comes to work with me!

THERMOVAPE: NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT.

sessnet,

towelieeeee

secret stoner
theVaporSpot said:
Taste IS subjective..I will continue to try some techniques from you guys this weekend, but I'm scratching my head why you guys dig this thing that much...durability and stealth aside..

especially the flavor comments...are you guys cigarette smokers by chance? Still smoking blunts and such? I KNOW my sense of smell and flavor is pretty good by most standards ...haven't smoked in 13 years and am a foodie, but I can't believe this much love for the TV flavor..

I'm eagerly awaiting my TV... It's my first vape (aside from using friends' vapes, i'm a vape-virgin) and a non-smooker/foodie as well. So hopefully I'll be able to contribute to the "taste" conversation once I'm up and running...

PB, thanks for the videos and usage tips -- definitely helpful.
OF, it's been remarkable to watch your conversion from healthy skeptic to healthy supporter over the life span of this monster thread...

towelieeeee,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I've just got to say, every day I use my ThermoVape - is another day I love it even more.

Also, I've got several batches of fresh herbs waiting at home for some oil experiments this weekend. I "tested" some of it in the TV1 and the taste is phenomenal! Can't wait to see what the oil will be like in the Revolution.

One of my friends/connects (non-vaper) tried the ThermoVape for the first time yesterday on his OWN STUFF and immediately was mindfucked!!! He wanted to buy one immediately - one more ThermoVape customer I hope!

sessnet,

OF

towelieeeee said:
OF, it's been remarkable to watch your conversion from healthy skeptic to healthy supporter over the life span of this monster thread...

Thanks very much.....I think. Hung with too many Scientists for too long, now the objectivity bug has bit hard. I really can't help myself at this point. "Call 'em like you see 'em".

OF

OF,

towelieeeee

secret stoner
OF said:
towelieeeee said:

Thanks very much.....I think. Hung with too many Scientists for too long, now the objectivity bug has bit hard. I really can't help myself at this point. "Call 'em like you see 'em".

OF

Haha. Yes, that comment is absolutely intended as a compliment -- I think the back and forth between you and TV was actually quite exceptional, especially to be able to witness as a lurking 3rd party. I try to approach most everything in life with a "trust, but verify" type of attitude. So to see you laying out your position and being able to adapt and update your position as new information becomes available is highly instructive to people like myself with a similar (skeptical) mindset :)

towelieeeee,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Hey TV and company!!

IMO the site is a little wonky. I know that others have said something similar about the moving page being hard to read, but also the product pages move around too. This makes the site look cool, but it doesn't always work that well on the purchasing screen(s). Don't worry, I will still keep ordering stuff as long as you guys keep the stuff coming, but I just wanted to give you my :2c:

Also a lot of the accessories do not have shipping weights so you cannot finish the order until you send in an email each time. (this happens with or without using the (fantastic) :D FC Shipping Discount!!!

Thanks for your time!!:peace:

Bluntcrush,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Bluntcrush said:
Hey TV and company!!

IMO the site is a little wonky. I know that others have said something similar about the moving page being hard to read, but also the product pages move around too. This makes the site look cool, but it doesn't always work that well on the purchasing screen(s). Don't worry, I will still keep ordering stuff as long as you guys keep the stuff coming, but I just wanted to give you my :2c:

Also a lot of the accessories do not have shipping weights so you cannot finish the order until you send in an email each time. (this happens with or without using the (fantastic) :D FC Shipping Discount!!!

Thanks for your time!!:peace:

Indeed, apologies. We're pedal to the metal here and it is hovering towards the top of "the list". Hard to believe it's only been ~4 weeks since launch.

ThermoVape

ThermoVape,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
theVaporSpot said:
yo tdub...i wish you could sample some more vapes for flava! come to the bar if in LA and i"ll gladly show you the VIP treatment...I just have a lot of vapes here at the bar to test drive. Hope to share the good, bad, and ugly of all of them...not hating...just participating..
Vaporspot, you post in this forum as a retailer and you claim to be an "expert" in your field. If this is your response, gansta rap (What are you going to do? Fly your private jet up here to bring me down to your "lounge" so I can party with you and your homies? I don't think so, ridiculous), then why should we "amateurs" put forth our time and effort to help you?

Speaking of time and effort. Vaporspot since you are an "expert" in your field: You own a vapor lounge and retail store, you consult with clientele on a regular basis, that makes you an expert.
theVaporSpot said:
call or email to schedule a VAPOR CONSULTATION when in Los Angeles.
So for you to be too lazy to do the "work" necessary for your "job" is quite telling. Instead you criticize a device that you didn't put the proper time and effort into adequately understanding. A disservice to people who trust you for "professional" advice. Your inability to see beyond your own needs and wants, IE outside yourself and your "lounge", makes you a poor consultant. I submit to you that my written "amateur" review was more even and fair and a better review than your "professional" video review.
theVaporSpot said:
we've had it for a couple days . . . (truncated) BTW, that wasn't the first time hitting that vaporizer on camera...we tried it at the bar with several clients over a couple of days..we do a standard 3, 5, 8 count when we review these things..check out the atmos Raw one we did to compare how we do it . . . (truncated) So overall it was too much WORK . . .

A question: I was reading your post about your "extensive" testing regimen, how many bowls did you put through your TV before you made that video? The reason I ask is because your video looked very similar to my "right-out-of-the-box" (no practice) experience. Is it possible that when you made your video "review" that you utilized techniques that you knew were previously unsuccessful with the device? Or was that really the best an "expert", with practice, could do?

I'm sorry but I see 3 options here after reading vaporspot's own words:

1. He either misrepresented the testing in his post, OR
2. He demonstrated techniques in his video that he KNEW were unsuccessful beforehand, AND/OR
3. He is intellectually too lazy to do the "work" required to do his "job" properly.

Sorry but as of now, that is how I see this situation.

Edit: I apologize for my directness. vvv
mod note: You need to review the rules, especially the Be nice section. If you can't get your point across in a decent manner, try another forum.

t-dub,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
I agree - he didn't give the TV a fair chance in the video, it was almost like he already made up his mind to shit on it.

Why can't he use it "correctly" ? Instead - act out what a drunk/fumbling person would do willy-nilly with a high tech device in a dark environment?

If that was the case - why not show videos of people setting their face/clothes on fire with lighter-based vape?

Or glass shattering, and a shard getting stuck in someones eye, using a Solo etc?

Seems like the worst case scenario - why would you play/act that out -and record it?

I don't get the point anymore of that video. :/

sessnet,

mephisto

You captured my sentiments and then some. FWIW the vs was correct in their "opinion"
of the AR.

mephisto,

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
So I checked out the VaporSpots videos on youtube...love the concept of the lounge, unfortunately we have nothing like that on the east coast or I would be the customer of the month. Now, with that being said I do have to say that I disagree with almost every review.

How is it possible that you write off a vaporizer as "missing the mark" after such a short period? I spent a month with an LSV before I got the technique down that suited me and ive been vaping since the Vapir 5.0 was the hottest piece out there. Dont even get me started on time spent on the MFLB before I decided that would be my bathroom vape.

Ive spent 2 weeks now with the TV and for the most part I think this will become the cure all for portability with some maturity. I say maturity because this is a baby unit, its their first piece. In time new parts, adapters, PA's, and obviously updated versions will come along and make this piece GREAT. Mine gets right where I need to - of couse with very warm hands as the unit gets pretty hot at my "medicated point" and cycling more batteries than even the energizer bunny could handle but these are the BS problems we had with the MFLB, the IO, and numerous devices that we've watched grow. I sincerely hope the PA would come along soon, in fact personally I would have rathered that be the priority instead of the revolution but hey, I am just a guy who enjoys WEED!

:peace:

mvapes,
Top Bottom