Discontinued ThermoVape

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Bluntcrush said:
Should you be able to unscrew your heater core (for cleaning) by hand?? I sure cant (I feel like a little baby! :lol:) I don't want to use a tool for fear of scratching my beautiful bowl!!!! :(

Use a pair of grip gloves or a piece of rubber to get a better grip. I use MaxFit gloves because of my arthritis and they work great for so many things.

http://www.maxfitcomfort.com/

t-dub,

PB88123

Vaporist
darkrom said:
Can someone who gets particularly big hits with the TV thanks to technique post up a video or 2? I just want to see it. A week or 2 away from being ABLE to purchase a TV, should I become convinced its right for me.

Did you want to see a video of the technique and the exhale? Just the exhale? My technique is bent over so the TV is straight up and down and a strong inhale.

I took a big hit (not in the video as it is just me bent over inhaling) and here is the exhale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9eCVwvzsU

PB88123,
So after about 2 to 3 weeks of solid use (6-7 times a day) I was about to write a great review when all hell broke loose. For the first 3 weeks it worked perfectly, huge clouds, no problems. Ever since about two days ago this device has had more problems then my 2 year old iolite. First and foremost either the heater core or the batteries are broken. Sometimes I will charge a full set of batteries and they won't work at all. Sometimes I charge a full set, put them in, they don't work then i flip them over and they work. Sometimes a set of batteries will work for about a quarter of a bowl then just cut out. I don't know if it is a battery problem or thermocore problem because even when the thermocore lights up it usually takes about 3 or 4 seconds of holding the switch. It's weird, sometimes this device will function perfectly and other times it will have huge problems. When it works I would give it a 9.5 out of 10 but as of right now I would give it a 4.5 out of 10.

Futuretvowner,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Futuretvowner said:
So after about 2 to 3 weeks of solid use (6-7 times a day) I was about to write a great review when all hell broke loose. For the first 3 weeks it worked perfectly, huge clouds, no problems. Ever since about two days ago this device has had more problems then my 2 year old iolite. First and foremost either the heater core or the batteries are broken. Sometimes I will charge a full set of batteries and they won't work at all. Sometimes I charge a full set, put them in, they don't work then i flip them over and they work. Sometimes a set of batteries will work for about a quarter of a bowl then just cut out. I don't know if it is a battery problem or thermocore problem because even when the thermocore lights up it usually takes about 3 or 4 seconds of holding the switch. It's weird, sometimes this device will function perfectly and other times it will have huge problems. When it works I would give it a 9.5 out of 10 but as of right now I would give it a 4.5 out of 10.

Contact the manufacter directly

IAmKrazy2,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
Im still getting used to my TV 2 days after getting it and while it can't replace my whip vape in the sense of hit taste/thickness/moistness/quality, it works very well and is an amazingly designed unit. After a day I figured out how to take it appart all the way down to the heating element and reassemble it. It's a great feeling knowing how the machine works, and that there are no dangerous parts hidden inside. Everything is clean and geniusly simple, hard to explain if you haven't done it first hand. The plastic sleeve (delryn?) slides off each individual part except the mouthpiece. I heard one poster say that they thought it was an afterthought of the designers, Im not sure if I agree with this. It seems like it took some careful planning to make all the parts fit together, and while I love the all metal look, the plastic sleve definitely protects the whole unit and reduces heat. So far I haven't encountered any high temperatures that were cause for concern. Heres a picture of what it looks like with the sleeve off, at some point I may get a spare mouth piece and see if I can get the plastic off and attatch one of those non-electroplated moutpiece for an all metal look. Even without the plastic sleeve, which is very very robust and durable, the whole unit seems fairly impervious to damage. There aren't any parts that can really be worn down, and we've seen the makers put the unit in a fire, drop it in water, play fetch with a dog, and run it over with a car. This thing is apparently indestructable, and it looks like you can buy most of the replacement parts fairly easily, although the heater core replacement is 70 bucks or something. Anyway that my :2c: after 2 days of casual use, this thing has a great purpose, ie. stealth, portablility, travel or just for a moblie person moving around their house/wanting to lounge around without being plugged into the wall.

I think it looks damn sexy in all metal :brow:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4958/image1ai.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6070/image2nn.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1346/image3wcz.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/204/imagermv.jpg

Edit: sorry having some trouble embedding these! guess im not to savy

Edit #2: it would be nice if I could slide the plastic off of the moutpiece however even if it wasn't firmly attatched to the metal on the inside, the actual moupiece of the vape fits into the plastic part, not the metal and uses an O-ring to secure it's self, meaning I'd have no mouth piece unless I found a threaded one.

If someone want's to help me out and embed these pictures it would be a great help!

my only real complaint with this product is that sometimes the plastic will slip when im trying to unscrew the battery compartment, this is probably as a result of my finnicking with the plastic all the time and there havent been any times when I couldnt get it undone in under a minute

PhishCactus,

ThermoVape

Vaporizer Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Futuretvowner said:

Sound like a switch position issue. Fast forward to the assembly section of this video and follow the thermo core and switch positioning steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmPx8kC518M&context=C33e2abfADOEgsToPDskI5QcfMkTOMXpB_OW6KggNm

Send us an email if that doesn't do the trick.

Cheers,

ThermoVape

ThermoVape,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
PhishCactus said:
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/4958/image1ai.jpg
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6070/image2nn.jpg
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/1346/image3wcz.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/204/imagermv.jpg

Edit: sorry having some trouble embedding these! guess im not to savy

Edit #2: it would be nice if I could slide the plastic off of the moutpiece however even if it wasn't firmly attatched to the metal on the inside, the actual moupiece of the vape fits into the plastic part, not the metal and uses an O-ring to secure it's self, meaning I'd have no mouth piece unless I found a threaded one.

If someone want's to help me out and embed these pictures it would be a great help!
Cactus,
Looks like you're using the "link" icon instead of the "picture" icon. Here ya go...
image1ai.jpg

image2nn.jpg

image3wcz.jpg

imagermv.jpg

:peace:

Stu,

PhishCactus

Lvl. 420 Vaporist
Thanks for uploading, no I tried several different forum thumnails and picture codes off of imageshack but was unsuccessful.

Another picture with a whip attatched:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ahhhh! figured it out, I was hitting the image button off of the tool bar above, should have just copied the link off imageshack.

PhishCactus,

OF

ThermoVape said:
Sound like a switch position issue. Fast forward to the assembly section of this video and follow the thermo core and switch positioning steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmPx8kC518M&context=C33e2abfADOEgsToPDskI5QcfMkTOMXpB_OW6KggNm

I had this exact thing happen early on, just after I took it to bits. I think the key here is to be sure the o-ring is squarely seated at the bottom of the bore before pressing the switch in.

Bluntcrush said:
Should you be able to unscrew your heater core (for cleaning) by hand?? I sure cant (I feel like a little baby! :lol:) I don't want to use a tool for fear of scratching my beautiful bowl!!!! :(

It's not easy, there's a (dry) o-ring in there kind of locking stuff together. Here's what I do: wrap fairly heavy rubber band under the rim of the core. Fill up the 'vee'. This gives you a grip on just the part you want to turn (the break point is right under the vee. A drop of VG makes it easier to assemble, and hopefully disassemble next time.

OF

OF,

OF

SF Giant said:
Vegetable Glycerin

Yup, sorry for being too cryptic. Not my idea, TV suggested it.....blame them. I suspect VG based e cig juice is just fine.

OF

OF,

theVaporSpot

Retailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PsizOhhu9Q&context=C3fd08d9ADOEgsToPDskIoeCjRdfttDmHf7aGQ9ab1

Here you go ..per request, The Vapor Spot consultation for The Thermovape Vaporizer.
We try to be as unbiased as possible in our Vapor Bar. Our results are also based on feedback from random clients in our Los Angeles Vapor Bar. Trust us, we WANT these vapes to all be perfect, but they all have differences. As smoking and vaping is a very subjective experience, please realize that we are as close to a test kitchen as you're gonna get out there. We are experienced and unbiased, please don't mistake The Vapor Spot as "being in bed" with ANY manufacturer or device.

THE THERMOVAPE HERBAL VAPORIZER:
Not too high on this guy because of no pronounced flavor (one patron at the bar said it reminded them of smoking out of those cheap metal pipes from the gas station in flavor...lots of heads nodded in agreement to that).

Also the Thermovape is a LOT of work to get good vapor flowing, and then once it FINALLY gets going its way too delicate of a dance to keep the "sweet spot" of heat...it gets almost exponentially hot once the vapor starts flowing...too hot to the touch? well..eventually yes...but if too hot to touch, it is definitely too hot to maintain the delicate temperature range for great vapor flavor and extraction...

Overall The Vapor Spot won't recommend this for clients as that amount of work should really result in cleaner, and more even vapor production. Keep in mind this evaluation is strictly for the herb chamber version, and not the concentrate or e-liquid attachments... we'll check those out soon enough..
but perhaps save that money, especially if you have never tried a vaporizer. This one tastes quite metallic in flavor, and we really regretted going through that good purple in this vaporizer.
cheers
JJ

theVaporSpot,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Very well done review, VaporSpot. I agree with most everything you said. I have found the bad taste that you may have been experiencing is mostly caused by scortched herb. I find that if you don't stir between every couple of hits, the hot air coming through those holes will definitely overcook portions of your bowl. So I stir it between each hit now and the taste is quite good now in my opinion.

Also, you can't mess around with small hits, so a 5-second draw from a cold bowl will never produce much (if any) vapor. I have developed a technique of getting consistent hits, but it requires long, fast inhaling draws.

Where are you at in LA? I'm in North OC and would love to visit the lounge there.

:peace:

Stu,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Thanks for the video! I thought that maybe the technique you used was a little under aggressive. When I first got mine I thought that it was not working right until I held the button for about 5 seconds and THEN started my draw (while still holding the button) I started a slow draw and then after my lungs were full I took little sips to clear any residual vapor that was still in the chamber. :ninja: It does work better if you are holding it perpendicular to the ground (like a bottle with a straw) this places the herbs directly on top of the heating unit. This seems to work great for me and I am a 35 year veteran. I have been vaping for about two years. I also disagree with the lack of flavor you experienced, but it could be that with the lack of heat up time you provided, I would understand that you didn't like the performance. I think that you should give this another go. The unit is pricey, but I truly believe (for me) it delivers especially at crunch time in stealth situations and on the go. :2c:

I love the idea for the Vapor Spot testing and reviews as it is a huge help to the community! So in that spirit I salute you! :peace:

Bluntcrush,

PB88123

Vaporist
a response to that video.

If you turn it on while empty and watch the thermocore heat up you will see it takes 5-10 seconds before it is fully orange. If it is cold it could take up to 15 seconds before it is 100% orange.

Once it gets 100% orange then take a 15-20 second hit and see the results. I'm guessing your experience will be better.

Also, never let off the switch. Keep it on for the full 20-30 seconds. Inhale faster towards the end for a lung full.

PB88123,

theVaporSpot

Retailer
I'm in west Los Angeles, close to where the 10 and 405 meet...come on down 12-9pm 7 days a week man..proper paperwork and no dispensing of herb here..

the Thermpovape is like a reverse MFLB launchbox...

wiith the MFLB you have to be very LIGHT on the heat button/battery or it scorches...tiny pulses of heat very gently

with the Thermovape it seems you have to hit it HARD on the button and keep it pulsed every few seconds to maintain heat ranges...not light at all..
as for air draw of fast, slow, quick, or slow....we tried them all, and i wouldn't agree that it makes THAT much difference...just want to point out that we tried different methods, none of them producing that magic hit we were looking for..

have you tried a Solo yet Stu? now THAT"S easy vapor with some flavor...swing by the Vapor Bar, calling ahead of time if you can, so we can set up a consultation for you..we can test drive if properly equipped...
JJ

theVaporSpot,

SF Giant

Reluctant vape collector
I agree with most of the review but i do believe some more time could have been taken possibly to get a better hold on the technique before jumping to conclusions but id say all of your gripes are pretty legitimate, I haven't used my TV1 since i got the Revolution attachment so that most likely says something, i do take issue with the flavor comments though as the flavor is actually very pure for me (unless i don't stir or shake the bowl in which case the charring of the herbs at the bottom can cause a fairly shitty taste). I do still think the TV1 is an allright product but i really do wish TET would have broadened their beta testing a bit as several major issues made it in to the final design that i feel could have been addressed with a broader and possibly more experienced base of testers.

SF Giant,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
theVaporSpot said:
have you tried a Solo yet Stu? now THAT"S easy vapor with some flavor...swing by the Vapor Bar, calling ahead of time if you can, so we can set up a consultation for you..we can test drive if properly equipped...
JJ
Yeah, check my signature below. I really enjoy my Solo, too. If you see anything in my sig that you haven't tried, I can bring it with me.

So I bring my rec and meds, is that the deal?

Stu,

theVaporSpot

Retailer
hey bluntcrush..
we've had it for a couple days, and no one really wants to hit it now because of the lack of clean, herbacious, oil flavor... (compare a fresh bowl of the solo vs the TV)..THAT"S what we are calling "lack of pronounced flavor"..a metal bowl tastes NOTHING like a glass bowl glass or ceramic and glass...We have a couple lying around here that are duds in our opinion for a variety of reasons..(vaporblunt anyone?). This thing compares more to a MFLB in flavor then a $200+ vaporizer.. So if it boils down to a flavor vs ease of use vs durability issue...well, durability would be the only reason to suggest this guy in our opinion at the Vapor Bar.

BTW, that wasn't the first time hitting that vaporizer on camera...we tried it at the bar with several clients over a couple of days..we do a standard 3, 5, 8 count when we review these things..check out the atmos Raw one we did to compare how we do it. Also, if a Vape needs 10 seconds of pre-heating, it should be NOTED in the instructions...We're looking for something easier to get perfect hits.. if you just pass this to your buddy in a circle, you don't want to have to EXPLAIN it do you? every person, every time?

---"just hold that switch in for 10 seconds, but don't hit it yet, then do a quick draw, but don't overheat it or it gets too hot, but make sure you shake it between each hit so it doesn't scorch"..."taste good?"

So overall it was too much WORK to recommend. I understand the manual heat technique vs electronic thermocouple...we UNDERSTAND preheating and we tried that too, ( we heat it for 5 or 6 seconds as a preheat before drawing..somewhere during the video to show that too) just hitting this thing for 15 seconds felt kinda like poor operation, not a great new style of vaping...I'd actually prefer the NO2 to this thing as far as predictable vapor production at a much cheaper price...

i TOTALLY agree that it may work for certain people in certain situations...its a tough little mother, but
doesn't quite measure up BECAUSE of the flavor, 10 minute battery life, and heat regulation issues..

question for you: how is your battery life/expectations...happy?

I'm actually VERY HAPPY that it works for some people..I can see scenarios where it would rock, just has to stand up to some other vapes out there when it comes into my showroom...thanks for discussing in a sane manner bro...
JJ
love this forum..should spend more time here...

theVaporSpot,

Bluntcrush

Director of Vapor Research Labs™
Your quote said: "With the Thermovape it seems you have to hit it HARD on the button and keep it pulsed every few seconds to maintain heat ranges...not light at all..
as for air draw of fast, slow, quick, or slow....we tried them all, and i wouldn't agree that it makes THAT much difference...just want to point out that we tried different methods, none of them producing that magic hit we were looking for.." IMO This does make THAT much difference. I normally am a much heavier user and today three bowls from the TV worked as well as the equivalent of almost a full cyclone bowl on the EQV.

Another quote: "Have you tried a Solo yet Stu? now THAT"S easy vapor with some flavor...swing by the Vapor Bar, calling ahead of time if you can, so we can set up a consultation for you..we can test drive if properly equipped..." It seems clear to me that you like the Solo better. I disagree, the taste of the TV is far better than the Solo. But differences are what makes the world go around. I still say you should give this a little more time just for the service to your customers. :2c:

Bluntcrush,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Watched your review and your technique was way off. Bowl too full, many hits with no stir . . . you will find better flavor, vapor production and more even ABV with better technique. Sorry to be so short worded but it is late and I am tired so I apologize.

t-dub,

theVaporSpot

Retailer
Well let's put it this way...
the Thermovape is sitting here at the Vapor Bar in Los Angeles...we're open till 9pm...
Come down and try them all head to head...Thermovape, Solo, NO2, Atmos Raw, MFLB..it'll be fun!
I can only give you the opinion of the 8 people that have tried it here at the bar, and my staff.
But 12 is a pretty good sample group wouldn't you say?

I'll take the Solo vs TV challenge for flavor anyday...glass and ceramic vs metal..puh-leeze..
Taste IS subjective..I will continue to try some techniques from you guys this weekend, but I'm scratching my head why you guys dig this thing that much...durability and stealth aside..

especially the flavor comments...are you guys cigarette smokers by chance? Still smoking blunts and such? I KNOW my sense of smell and flavor is pretty good by most standards ...haven't smoked in 13 years and am a foodie, but I can't believe this much love for the TV flavor..

i'll try it again this weekend and update my review if needed. I'm really OPEN to the comments. I WANT this thing to work...but i feel the herb chamber is an afterthought to an OIL concentrate intended device..
waiting for that oil concentrate attachment to review..

new draw and heating techniques to be implemented in the Vapor Bar at your request..keep the advice coming, and i'll report if it impacts the decision..
thanks all
JJ

theVaporSpot,
Top Bottom