Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

OF

Sry, ill elaborate. I noticed w/smooth flow, like other drip tips, the male insertion end(take'er easy), I think is a little long for Omi-carts and creates suction of the medicine down below(my PF filled up when on a problematic old cart). So, "take a little off", would be me and my grinder(Im a surgeon) having some fun.. Spark, spark! I kind of remember you or vitolo doing that to some drip tips...IIRC.

Thanks, dude, got it now. I missed the 'new topic' flag somehow.....

Never tried to fit it to Omicron before. It does look like some careful shaving on the bottom with some countersinking will clear it up to seat down. I may try it with a piece of hose to confirm it works before surgery (don't know why it wouldn't). I use a half inch piece to couple my Iolite stem to the mouthpiece from the Vapor Genie. Works great, even if it does look a little funny. It's nice to have a little 'give' when I hit my mouth off center too.....and that happens.

Sorry, though, no sparks. Looks like Nickle plated brass to me.

OF

OF,
Yer call, of course, but understand it's NOT a filter. The big old hole goes straight through the mouthpiece like normal. It's just the walls are lined with a sleeve of water soaked ceramic, moisture is stripped out of it by the hot air, cooling the air in the process. I tend to look at non recurring hardware costs in a different light than expendables. We're talking about the price of a couple of grams of herb. I see it as adding to the enjoyment in good measure if it works well, and IMO this one does a great job with the T1 (if you remember to add a few more drops of water from time to time.....

I can't advise a guy how to spend his hard earned bucks, but I'm confident you'll like it better on T1 than the filter.... The results are, I think, better and you don't have to fight it to get a hit.

OF

Im behind you on that one. I was very skeptical about $30 for a non filter, but I am very impressed with it! For the enjoyment you'll get, and the supposed longevity, its not a bad buy. I may have to get the Pure Flow to compliment(stack together I think) it.
The EVO on the other hand.... Im am going to refrain from posting my thoughts until I have given it my full attention for a couple days in a row, I'm sure I'm missing something... Would safe chemistry IMR's give me a noticeable performance gain over a trustfire-protected batt?

havealight101,

JoeKickass

The EVO on the other hand.... Im am going to refrain from posting my thoughts until I have given it my full attention for a couple days in a row, I'm sure I'm missing something... Would safe chemistry IMR's give me a noticeable performance gain over a trustfire-protected batt?

So far I've tried the LV EVO on a imr 18650 & 14500 and my advice is yes, you almost need imr's (for the LV version at least). Even then give it a good long initial heatup and between hits... I just end up holding it on for the entire bowl lol

Thanks, dude, got it now. I missed the 'new topic' flag somehow.....

OF

I guess? I'm Sry, I thought PF's and SF's were the topic of the last 10+/- posts. So I thought I was continuing w/that. I was originally trying to speak with out mentioning other products, but if I read correctly this EVO is made for "any 3.7 power source w/o cut off", witch leads me to believe the conversation about using it with another product, was not out of line. Not ment as an attack at all, just how I feel.
Edit:reading back through, I may be a little over sensitive today, sorry.

havealight101,

OF

Im behind you on that one. I was very skeptical about $30 for a non filter, but I am very impressed with it! For the enjoyment you'll get, and the supposed longevity, its not a bad buy. I may have to get the Pure Flow to compliment(stack together I think) it.

For sure Evolution is high strung. My V2 just won't make it go. Warm, but not hot. Worse, I think, than trying to make Dart work with it. Without a doubt those IMRs do a bang up job in the TV power supply. Even that bitty little 10440 in the Ultra. I can't recommend it, only a hit or two at best and hard on the battery at that, but IMO mighty impressive. Some LiIons can do pretty good, the 17670 used for 3.7 Volts for instance, but the IMRs don't blink at current levels others dream of. What power supply are you putting those batteries in?

OF

OF,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Yer call, of course, but understand it's NOT a filter. The big old hole goes straight through the mouthpiece like normal. It's just the walls are lined with a sleeve of water soaked ceramic, moisture is stripped out of it by the hot air, cooling the air in the process. I tend to look at non recurring hardware costs in a different light than expendables. We're talking about the price of a couple of grams of herb. I see it as adding to the enjoyment in good measure if it works well, and IMO this one does a great job with the T1 (if you remember to add a few more drops of water from time to time.....

I can't advise a guy how to spend his hard earned bucks, but I'm confident you'll like it better on T1 than the filter.... The results are, I think, better and you don't have to fight it to get a hit.

OF

Good point. I guess the real question is how much better is it really? Does it seem to cut down on the dryness/throat irritation for you? To be honest that's why I bought the pure flow, but its a LOT of work for the T1 IMO. Probably best as you've said for the revolution. I just don't want to spend more on it and not notice the difference. I'll have to see if I can come up with some extra money.

darkrom,

OF

I guess? I'm Sry, I thought PF's and SF's were the topic of the last 10+/- posts. So I thought I was continuing w/that. I was originally trying to speak with out mentioning other products, but if I read correctly this EVO is made for "any 3.7 power source w/o cut off", witch leads me to believe the conversation about using it with another product, was not out of line. Not ment as an attack at all, just how I feel.

Hey, no problem at all. "It's all good". You just lost me, probably because I've been jumping topics and got lost. I think we're back in sync? Yes 'any 3.7 Volt source' should work fine. Electrons are electrons, they don't have license plates or registrations, they just flow and do our bidding.

The rub is, not all 3.7 Volt 'batteries' are equal. Many are designed to never put out more than 3.3 Volts to the load even when the battery is charged higher (so e-cigs always 'puff the same'). V1 and V2 seem to have this feature. You can't get 3.7 Volts into heavy loads like the 1.5 Ohm Omicron cart, Dart (same load) or Evolution (higher still). In fact, the current V2 won't make 3.0 Volts with a 1.5 Ohm cart.

I think 'mix and match' vape parts is Fair Dinkum as they say down under. The makers obviously have no problem with you using their gear on another makers products.....they all sell adapters it seems? One of my favorite configurations is the TV supply with Omicron cart on an adapter. A true hard hitting 'no brainer' that goes a LONG time between charges or other service. You want bitty? Check out the Alpha ultra body with CMG cart. Still fairly long, but skinny as your index finger and 30 or 40 solid hits on demand. Fits in a shirt pocket very nicely.

OF

"What power supply are you putting those batteries in?"
One that comes w/18650 standard.. just not feeling it(EVO LV) so far, in comparison to MFLB. I will try some AW IMR's and give it time before I make a decision if its for me or not. Is aluminum foil "ok" for a temporary battery spacer for testing?

"It's all good". You just lost me,"-- I loose my self sometimes... so its understandable.
Thanks much man, you're definatly an asset around here.

havealight101,

2clicker

Observer
im considering getting a Sabre Touch mod to run my Evo/s. i can run either a single 17670 cell or stack cells for higher voltage. the switch is touch sensitive so will never activate when in your pocket. and you can pick what color body and end caps you want. all different textures and powdercoating... great stuff. these mods are getting rave reviews and are built like brick shit houses.

http://vapormoon.com/The_Saber.html

however the best part about the Sabre Touch is the pass through option. when at home i can use their 6V passthrough system. and cells when on the go. check it out.

http://vapormoon.com/Saber_Touch_Passthru.html

i got my LV Evo yesterday. im still waiting on a couple of 17670s to get here so the only power source i had to try my Evo on was my DA/eGo. i had to pulse the switch, but did so pretty easily. and i got exactly the same results as everyone else seems to be getting. SUPER FLAVOR!!! i could not believe how well you can really taste your botanicals. i was not getting any visible vapor, but the flavor and effects were there. i love clouds, but this makes the Evo very stealthy IMO. but then i notice that after letting go of the red hot metal button on my DA, that the LED ring did not go out. and that the DA was stuck "on" of which worked great for this first bowl. however i knew this was not good for the DA so i tried to turn it off, but couldnt. the next thing i know its back in 3.2V mode and completely dead. so then i plug it in to charge and and it appears to do so. then after about an hour and a 1/2 later the DA appears to be fully charged. so i try again and now im just getting a blinking LED on my DA. im pretty sure its on the fritz and im not sure how to save it. it just wont fire up. just blinks. anyway... until i get my 17670 cells ill have to wait to use my Evo, but my first initial impressions are quite good. i could not believe the flavor.

so far another amazing product from TV.

2clicker,
2clicker, I got the "knucklehead" on its way! Nice find, thank you. I will give a pic on Omi/TV products when it gets here Mon/tue.
Saber looks NUTZ, but I have too many power sources as is, but will keep an eye on there products.

havealight101,

JoeKickass

but then i notice that after letting go of the red hot metal button on my DA, that the LED ring did not go out. and that the DA was stuck "on" of which worked great for this first bowl. however i knew this was not good for the DA so i tried to turn it off, but couldnt. the next thing i know its back in 3.2V mode and completely dead. so then i plug it in to charge and and it appears to do so. then after about an hour and a 1/2 later the DA appears to be fully charged. so i try again and now im just getting a blinking LED on my DA. im pretty sure its on the fritz and im not sure how to save it. it just wont fire up. just blinks. anyway...

The sabre should be able to power anything with how big it is, don't you think it looks a bit like a pvc pipe bomb though? :uhoh:

Also, I would get rid of that DA... the heat likely fried the electronics and allowed the battery to dangerously over-discharge... trying to charge an over-discharged battery is how things go boom. :worms:

OF

"What power supply are you putting those batteries in?"
One that comes w/18650 standard.. just not feeling it(EVO LV) so far, in comparison to MFLB. I will try some AW IMR's and give it time before I make a decision if its for me or not. Is aluminum foil "ok" for a temporary battery spacer for testing?

"It's all good". You just lost me,"-- I loose my self sometimes... so its understandable.
Thanks much man, you're definatly an asset around here.

I've got one that uses a 18650, a nice VV thing with good features and low cost (fifty bucks?) which is another good feature IMO. It will not, however, drive the Evolution (does fine with Dart and Omicron carts of all stripes, in fact my current favorite to take to the garden with them, it's nice to dial the voltage up and down on whim.....). If you have the same issue (2.5 Amp current limit) that's probably the problem right there. Stouter batteries won't help, it's a designed in issue in the electronics. No reason not to try if you wish, but I'm not hopeful under these new conditions. Yes, foil would work for a test, but will give intermittent performance at those current levels most likely.

FYI the LV Evolution is a nominal 20 Watts. Divided by 3.7 Volts means we need to provide at least 5.4 Amps, a tall order for a circuit designed to 'hold the line' at half that value. Even the Standard Voltage version won't fly at 6 Volts since 20 Watts over 6 Volts is 3.33 Amps. This is just the sort of limits TV was talking about.

OF

OF,

OF

The sabre should be able to power anything with how big it is, don't you think it looks a bit like a pvc pipe bomb though? :uhoh:

Also, I would get rid of that DA... the heat likely fried the electronics and allowed the battery to dangerously over-discharge... trying to charge an over-discharged battery is how things go boom. :worms:

Good take on the Saber. Interesting unit, but it does have that 'prison made weapon' look. One thing sure, it's gonna draw a question or two from the cheap seats from time to time.....

I agree, the DA might well have been hammered into submission. Too hot to hold onto is death if you're a silicon semiconductor as often as not. The Evolution is several times heavier than the loads it was designed for. Nobody made an 20 Watt e-cig then (or now). We're off onto the uncharted ice here boys and girls. While it would be nice to 'make do' with what you have, if it's not designed for the duty you run risks from having it die when least convenient (there's a sensor inside that determines that) to out and out fire and worse.

I'm sorry to have such a negative take, but your DA might be ready for vape heaven and you need to consider adopting another power supply for your new found power hungry habits?

OF

OF,
I've got one that uses a 18650, a nice VV thing with good features and low cost (fifty bucks?) which is another good feature IMO. It will not, however, drive the Evolution (does fine with Dart and Omicron carts of all stripes, in fact my current favorite to take to the garden with them, it's nice to dial the voltage up and down on whim.....). If you have the same issue (2.5 Amp current limit) that's probably the problem right there. Stouter batteries won't help, it's a designed in issue in the electronics. No reason not to try if you wish, but I'm not hopeful under these new conditions. Yes, foil would work for a test, but will give intermittent performance at those current levels most likely.

FYI the LV Evolution is a nominal 20 Watts. Divided by 3.7 Volts means we need to provide at least 5.4 Amps, a tall order for a circuit designed to 'hold the line' at half that value. Even the Standard Voltage version won't fly at 6 Volts since 20 Watts over 6 Volts is 3.33 Amps. This is just the sort of limits TV was talking about.

OF

Thank you, I follow, and always have. Yet I was hopeful an EGO batt would drive a power hungry EVO, I knew it wouldn't be ideal, and nearly killed a batt in the process(stuck on like clicker...I will throw away just in case...me no want go boom). But, I was prepared, I think, w/a TOMV, which I think has a 5amp switch. Now I have gotten mildly tasty vapor that tastes the same all the way through?weird. Im just a little put off by how much effort it takes to vape so little. I feel I cant tell if effects are from medication or lack of oxygen. I know I have to give it time, and really get through the TV co's learning curve, so for now, I'm chalking it up to New user error/lack of 18650 IMR.
With that said, aluminum foil batt spacer + 18350 AW IMR= safe/ok? Or just order a 18650 and put testing off for a few days.
Thanks for all the help OF!

havealight101,

OF

Thank you, I follow, and always have. Yet I was hopeful an EGO batt would drive a power hungry EVO, I knew it wouldn't be ideal, and nearly killed a batt in the process(stuck on like clicker...I will throw away just in case...me no want go boom). But, I was prepared, I think, w/a TOMV, which I think has a 5amp switch. Now I have gotten mildly tasty vapor that tastes the same all the way through?weird. Im just a little put off by how much effort it takes to vape so little. I feel I cant tell if effects are from medication or lack of oxygen. I know I have to give it time, and really get through the TV co's learning curve, so for now, I'm chalking it up to New user error/lack of 18650 IMR.
With that said, aluminum foil batt spacer + 18350 AW IMR= safe/ok? Or just order a 18650 and put testing off for a few days.

First off, you're very welcome. Glad to help when I can, karma and all that.

Glad you have a backup. And I know you're on the right track because you've identified one of the fun features of this guy, the 'taste profile' goes all the way though the the load not just the first hit. It gets a little weaker of course, but it's still there. I figure it's because the vape is processing the load from the bottom up with no stirring to foul that process up? I got 'more dizzy than stoned' at first too, but then I changed technique and let it run for 15 seconds cold (10 seconds after that) before pulling on it at all. Let the core build up more heat than needed so you can draw off what you want without waiting for it. It then takes me 10 more seconds of medium pull to get it hot in the bowl but it happens. Not an easy beast to master at first, but the rewards are there.

Yes, I've done a fair number of similar foil kluges over the years which is why I'll suggest it. I'd probably fold up a strip as wide as the space is then roll it up to size and trim the excess. A bit of tape will keep it from unwinding. It goes at the bottom, of course. It should be fine for a test, but like I said, the connection will be dicey at best, not fit for general service.

Again, you are very welcome, thanks for the thought. Best wishes in your quest.

OF

JoeKickass

Well I'll tell you, I used the evo lv on the certain tomv that you are talking about twice before I just now did the math. Look at the 3.7v entry for 1.5 ohms:

1.5 ohm, 2.5 amps --- 9.25 watts

Less than 10 watts is already drawing 2.5 amps, so to get the full 20 watts you would need 5.4 amps at 3.7v. Luckily my battery was fully charged and hopefully stayed above 4.0 volts under load (which would keep the switch under 5 amps) but knowing this I'm thinking I should have gone for the regular version and tried to source some batteries for the 6v setup...

I'll try the evo lv on the ultra again and see if I can get a system worked out to avoid burning myself... small bowls maybe?

JoeKickass,

JoeKickass

Can I ask you OF, for your LV version of the EVO, do you keep it turned on for your entire bowl? Or do you let it cool for a few seconds after the first few slow hits?

(Maybe my needing to keep it on all the time is a symptom of hitting the current limit?)

JoeKickass,
Well I'll tell you, I used the evo lv on the certain tomv that you are talking about twice before I just now did the math. Look at the 3.7v entry for 1.5 ohms:

1.5 ohm, 2.5 amps --- 9.25 watts

Less than 10 watts is already drawing 2.5 amps, so to get the full 20 watts you would need 5.4 amps at 3.7v. Luckily my battery was fully charged and hopefully stayed above 4.0 volts under load (which would keep the switch under 5 amps) but knowing this I'm thinking I should have gone for the regular version and tried to source some batteries for the 6v setup...

I'll try the evo lv on the ultra again and see if I can get a system worked out to avoid burning myself... small bowls maybe?
Joe, you just threw me through a loop... I thought I had this all figured out... So a certain TOMV, is NOT sufficient to run the LV EVO?confused...please help me comprehend.
I am also starting to believe "any 3.7 w/o cut off" Needs to be changed. My EGO batt is questionable after 30 sec push(IIRC, tim said you would just have to cycle your buttons w/cut off), clicker killed a DA, IIRC there was 1 more already. Can we get some "specs" that are needed to run the LV EVO @ full power. I am very concerned about 2Clicker's DA, that Joe speculated that it could go boom!!??
Testing on pause for now...
Edit: Not ment as attack on TV at all, just pure, honest concerns.

havealight101,

VAPORIZER22

Im liking the smooth flow a lot. Jury is still out on the cart, though I won't jump to conclusions(mat) to soon. I guess there is a steep learning curve for new TV owners. Will keep at it.

Thanks for the info. The reason I was leaning towards the pure flow was not only to use it with the Rev but also because I find my best hits off the Evolution is with a really slow draw, much slower than my typical hit off the Rev or Omicron, so I would not mind reduced air flow (might aid me with my hitting technique?), as long as it did not render it unusable with it on. Since I have never tried either of them I am just going on assumptions.

If the smooth flow was designed for the T1 it would seem that it would be the best option for the Evolution as well. I'll probably try the smooth flow first and also try it on the Rev and might just end up getting both.

VAPORIZER22,

OF

Can I ask you OF, for your LV version of the EVO, do you keep it turned on for your entire bowl? Or do you let it cool for a few seconds after the first few slow hits?

(Maybe my needing to keep it on all the time is a symptom of hitting the current limit?)

I run it flat out 25 maybe 30 seconds at a shot for a hit. Then I let it coast until the next. My VV supply doesn't even light up with that heavy a load. My V2 lights and heats a bit, but doesn't make it glow or get really hot (got to get in there and measure what's going on...). My new Persei (thanks again G...) does a bang up job of driving it of course (got to put testing it against the TV supply some day on the list too). I figure I have something between 25 and about 50% duty cycle?

I also wouldn't worry about problems happening as the battery weakens. That can happen sometimes in boost converters but generally as the battery fails and voltage drops, current tracks it down pulling power levels with it and everything goes toward cold and dark. In the end, the batteries internal protection (or 'bombproof chemistry like in IMR) saves the day until a charge sets it right again.

In general, current limits are made to work very fast. The idea is a graceful shutdown before smoke and flames. Usually this is measured in the mili second range (thousandths of a second). It doesn't work well if the wiring goes before the fuse does, right?

J
I am also starting to believe "any 3.7 w/o cut off" Needs to be changed. My EGO batt is questionable after 30 sec push(IIRC, tim said you would just have to cycle your buttons w/cut off), clicker killed a DA, IIRC there was 1 more already. Can we get some "specs" that are needed to run the LV EVO @ full power.

I've already posted the specs needed to drive it, I think? Glad to do it again for drill. It's a nominal 20 Watt device (should have some margins since one 5 or 10% higher or lower than average is probably within the specifications of the device? So maybe it could be 21 or 22 Watts? Anyway, 20 Watts divided by 3.7 Volts gives us a nominal 5.4 Amps. Understand we're using nominal values, not actuals. In the real world it will draw more power at 4.0 Volts than 3.7 as this suggests, but for that point (3.7 Volts and 20 Watts) the current is 5.4 Amps. For Standard Voltage we have the same 20 Watts divided by 6.0 this time, 3.3 Amps.

So there you have what you always wanted, true enlightenment. Well at least a straight answer? 3.3 Amps at 6.0 Volts for Standard, 5.4 at 3.7 for the LV.

I know it sounds cold and all, but I think the advice is valid? A 3.7 Volt battery without protection (or a hight enough limit) is needed to light this guy up. If the battery can't take the gaff, IMO that's a horse on their team, overloads happen and you should have a better plan than blowing up. I bet TV might even share that view...but at least I bet they'll gladly sell you a power supply that won't cause you grief.....

OF

OF,

2clicker

Observer
Good take on the Saber. Interesting unit, but it does have that 'prison made weapon' look. One thing sure, it's gonna draw a question or two from the cheap seats from time to time.....

I agree, the DA might well have been hammered into submission. Too hot to hold onto is death if you're a silicon semiconductor as often as not. The Evolution is several times heavier than the loads it was designed for. Nobody made an 20 Watt e-cig then (or now). We're off onto the uncharted ice here boys and girls. While it would be nice to 'make do' with what you have, if it's not designed for the duty you run risks from having it die when least convenient (there's a sensor inside that determines that) to out and out fire and worse.

I'm sorry to have such a negative take, but your DA might be ready for vape heaven and you need to consider adopting another power supply for your new found power hungry habits?

well ive still got the Detonator... or Rough Stack Maxi, but ill have to run a 510 extender to avoid the teflon sleeve hitting the button on there. im running the Dart on it now, but the Evos diameter will def be a problem for the button w/out an extender. so for now, when my new 17670s get here, ill run the Evo on the Detonator. then after i sell a few things ill pick up a saber touch.

Mega%20Roughstack%20V2.jpg

i dont think the Saber Touch looks all that different from many other tube mods, but the reason im so interested in it is because of the available passthrough. its seems to be the only tube mod available with that option. and that option is very appealing to me.

also i dont think its that big really...

ScreaminEagleBlackCrinklelarge.jpg

i really wish there were more VV device options available with a passthrough.

as for the DA... im glad you all replied about it because i dont need anything blowing up on me. its getting retired. i was considering getting another eGo battery, but i dont think i will anymore.

JoeKickass

Joe, you just threw me through a loop... I thought I had this all figured out... So a certain TOMV, is NOT sufficient to run the LV EVO?confused...please help me comprehend.
Testing on pause for now...
Edit: Not ment as attack on TV at all, just pure, honest concerns.

I think the tommv (persei rite?) can run the lv evo at like 90% or close to full power. But I wouldn't recommend it because the top gets a bit warm and it probably isn't great for the electronics inside to push their max amps for a full half a minute...

EDIT: OF, don't you find the top gets a bit warm with the LV evo though? Still need to try it again on my ultra to compare performance...

Edit: For Vaporizer22, I guess I didn't quote, and this thread is hopping.

I would agree, but I can't speek on how "restrictive" the PF is. If you typically need to draw slower for it(EVO/T1/many other vapes), than something that restricts it doesn't sound to bad. Good luck, you probably wouldn't be let down by either, but I don't know how many pulls it stays hydrated on T1/evo, I will put it on EVO once I'm back to testing.

havealight101,

2clicker

Observer
2clicker, I got the "knucklehead" on its way! Nice find, thank you. I will give a pic on Omi/TV products when it gets here Mon/tue.
Saber looks NUTZ, but I have too many power sources as is, but will keep an eye on there products.

nice! looking forward to seeing it and what you think of it.

2clicker,

VAPORIZER22

I would agree, but I can't speek on how "restrictive" the PF is. If you typically need to draw slower for it(EVO/T1/many other vapes), than something that restricts it doesn't sound to bad. Good luck, you probably wouldn't be let down by either, but I don't know how many pulls it stays hydrated on T1/evo, I will put it on EVO once I'm back to testing.

Thanks again.

Does the smooth flow lessen the flavor at all?

VAPORIZER22,
Top Bottom