Discontinued Thermovape Cera

darkrom

Great Scott!
I like the look of that 4 battery charger. More batteries is the way to go. When I get back from my road trip and can start stacking pennies again I'll think about picking one up.

On another note holy shit! The Liquidizer! I might be ordering an EO cart in the not so distant future guys!

bruno13

insomniac
I finally got a cera EO cart. I could not afford the body so I made an adapter for my persei. I will post here how I did it if anyone is interested. I used a 3/8"-24 nut and a 510-601 adapter.

1. I used a tub cutter to cut down a 510-601 adapter just enough so that the nipple stuck up slightly.

2. I removed the center pin and insulator. I ruffed up the surfaces and soldered with silver solder. I then replace the pin and insulator.

3. Success! I have not used it yet but I tested it and it got hot and glowed red. EDIT: Works fantastic.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
I finally got a cera EO cart. I could not afford the body so I made an adapter for my persei. I will post here how I did it if anyone is interested. I used a 3/8"-24 nut and a 501-601 adapter.
1. I used a tub cutter to cut down a 510-601 adapter just enough so that the nipple stuck up slightly.
2. I removed the center pin and insulator. I ruffed up the surfaces and soldered with silver solder. I then replace the pin and insulator.
3. Success! I have not used it yet but I tested it and it got hot and glowed red.
This is a perfect Ideal.
Looking forward to your results!

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
Nice. I attempted to make one out of delrin with a brass pin, but it wouldn't hold the 510 threads, so when I get time next month I am going to turn one out of SS with an insulated brass pin. I already have the bottoming tap and die set.

If I held it in place to maintain contact it registered 2.7 ohm on my ProVari during the Atomizer Check function, hopefully between the 3-6V power settings it has enough juice to run it, looks killer mounted on there with the o-rings off and with the adapter is about the same OAL as the enormous RBA juice tank.

My problem with the nut solution is it looks too jank, but if it works then that is paramount.

OF

I finally got a cera EO cart. I could not afford the body so I made an adapter for my persei. I will post here how I did it if anyone is interested. I used a 3/8"-24 nut and a 501-601 adapter.

This looks mighty familiar. Here's the photo I posted a while back, you'll see the same thing in brass at the bottom:

It works well. You might rethink the use of the original insulating bushing, it got hot enough on me for mine, enough to melt, so I went to a brass pin and Teflon bushings.

I'm using soft solder (370F or so) and have melted it on heat runs. The Cera cart can get stuff hot. That SS base surrounds the heater on the outside and ducts the heat into the thread area.

With the same battery you'll get a little better performance with TV supplies (less loss) but Cera EO has 'power to burn'. Persei, however, does an excellent job. IMO worth the effort.

OF

bill

Need some help guys. Just got my EO Cera back from repair. The draw on it is really really tight, It is like sucking through concrete and it wasn't like that before. The oil I have passes the foil test and turns to liquid with the slightest amount of heat but the vapor production is weaker than ever. What am I doing wrong?? It seams like I am having really highs(no pun intended) and super lows with my Cera EO. The draw tightens up as soon as it heats up but is looser when it is cooled down. PLEASE HELP!

bill,

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
OK, on the 610 - 3/8-24 adapter...
A little playing around to figure the connection resistance of the base.
First the base connected to the voltmeter w/o load. Cart unscrewed a bit.
voltage-1.jpg

Now with load:
voltage-2.jpg

OK the voltage dropped from 4.22V to 3.63V or a 590mV drop under load. Now to calculate the current.

I measured the 610 - 3/8-24 and the EO cart at 0.9 ohms and my leads at 0.2 ohms (leads have some resistance). So the cart should be around 0.7 ohms (at these low ohm values a typical voltmeter setup is error prone. You really need a 4 wire setup to remove the leads. Also the voltmeter is low current, so if the load needs higher current aka voltage to really measure its resistance this can be problematic. That said 0.7-0.8 ohms is close. I will go with 0.75...

So I = V/R, the voltage under load was 3.63 and the load is 0.75
= 3.63/0.75 = 4.84A

OK now the base series resistance. The voltage dropped 590mV under load so the base onnection dropped 590mV with 4.84A passing through it

R = V/I
= 0.590/4.84 = 0.122 ohms +/- 10% (measurement error)

This of course includes the 610-510 adapter required for the meter. Also there is a 510-610 adapter to connect up the 610 - 3/8-24 adapter to, but that was measured with a ohm meter when the EO cart was measured.

Many thanks to OF for the info on the meter and the 3/8-24 adapter. I am sure he has been down this road at least once, but I though I would travel to see where it goes :)

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
OK, on the 610 - 3/8-24 adapter...
This of course includes the 610-510 adapter required for the meter. Also there is a 510-610 adapter to connect up the 610 - 3/8-24 adapter to, but that was measured with a ohm meter when the EO cart was measured.:)
So once the adapter is made what is you assessment as to the batteries required to effectively produce vapor without burning up the CERA top while attached to a PERSEI body??

ataxian,
Reactions: OF

PhotoRider

Diagnosed with level 11 G.A.S.
So once the adapter is made what is you assessment as to the batteries required to effectively produce vapor without burning up the CERA top while attached to a PERSEI body??

I don't think this setup is any different in battery requirements over the standard attachments or the Cera base. Pretty safe with a 3.7V setup, you just pulse the power. However, it must be a high drain battery that can handle 5A continuos draw w/o issue. The ones TET sells states 10A...

I didn't measure the 610 - 3/8-24 adapter. It was after the meter. I was measuring the base only. Need a 510 to 3/8-24 adapter for that. There are several unknowns here such as that is the resistance of the in-line meter. Under load that will also limit the voltage seen by the load, but since the meter is measuring the input, the current will be reduced with it verses without it and it wasn't in my cart resitance value. For every 0.1 ohm it is causes a 0.1/.75 error (13%)

OF

Many thanks to OF for the info on the meter and the 3/8-24 adapter. I am sure he has been down this road at least once, but I though I would travel to see where it goes :)

You're welcome. Interesting road, just be careful what you step in while sight seeing.....

IMO the same one's TV uses for Cera (for the same reasons). AW IMRs are good as well, but my personal favorite is the 2250 (it's what's in both my Perseis right now).

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
IMO the same one's TV uses for Cera (for the same reasons). AW IMRs are good as well, but my personal favorite is the 2250 (it's what's in both my Perseis right now).
OF

AW 18650 2250?
I have some of these or should a buy a few more?

ataxian,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Need some help guys. Just got my EO Cera back from repair. The draw on it is really really tight, It is like sucking through concrete and it wasn't like that before. The oil I have passes the foil test and turns to liquid with the slightest amount of heat but the vapor production is weaker than ever. What am I doing wrong?? It seams like I am having really highs(no pun intended) and super lows with my Cera EO. The draw tightens up as soon as it heats up but is looser when it is cooled down. PLEASE HELP!

i had the same prob, needed to be sent in, sorry buddy

Bob Loblaw,

bill

Bob answered him. His recently fixed EO seems to be clogged...

Is the clogged EO core common? They just sent it back!

Anyone what?

You're going to have to give me a little more to work with if you'd like my help?

OF

Sorry, my recently repaired(3 days ago)EO core is like sucking through concrete, what to do?

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

bill,

GR

My original EO cart is like sucking a thick milk shake through a straw and always has been. I have two more EO carts and they are a very smooth draw, like puffing on a joint. I have sent the original cart in twice with the rest of the unit for repair specifically asking about the draw of the cart, still the same. This original cart has never leaked oil from the bottom but both of the easy draw carts will leak a bit, although not enough to give up the smooth draw. Bob had his fixed and at some point I will send my original cart in specifically to improve the air flow and to maybe re wind it for less power for new victims, I mean patients.

OF

Sorry, my recently repaired(3 days ago)EO core is like sucking through concrete, what to do?

If it came back that way, send it straight back, it's not going to improve. Either the body is out of spec (unlikely if it worked before) or something has blocked the flow inside. I'm trying to visualize how that might be, perhaps a broken ring in the stack? I never built an EO core, only LL, but I've watched it being done. It's mighty tight in there. Perhaps debris at the very bottom, or the inner insulator washer broken?

Whatever, it's not right, I'd send it back.....common advice?

OF

OF,
Top Bottom