Discontinued Thermovape Cera

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
How do I get those pictures up and running? I copied the forum link from imageshack where I uploaded them as messageboard files.
Fix your tags, you have the file url correct but it goes inside img tags, not url tags. Remove the errant [/url] and they should be fine near as I can tell. Neat idea!

Cheerful Dub,
Reactions: NoName
Fix your tags, you have the file url correct but it goes inside img tags, not url tags. Remove the errant [/url] and they should be fine near as I can tell. Neat idea!

Thx, I think I got the picture adding down now. (Edit: Actually not as it still links to imageshack but you can see them at least)

Yeah I think it's a good enough idea as well and it does work as intended:)

Vaporiffic

nickzzzx

Can anyone tell me if something is wrong with my Cero EO? I've got oil inside the core and I can tell because the top ceramic plate is wet looking. I've got a stock 2900 3.7 Fully charged battery and it's definitely making contact. The problem is I have to hold the button for atleast 15 seconds before I see vapor. When vapor is produced, it's very thin and wispy. The core gets very hot but the switch doesn't seem to be getting hot like others have said. I recently wiped down all battery contact areas and the spring is extended enough to make a full contact. I don't know what's wrong. I'm scared to add more oil because it definitely looks like its filled and it's only been a couple days..

nickzzzx,

OF

How much (weight wise) oil do you have in there?

Does it pass the foil test?

My initial take is you don't have any concentrate inside the core???

OF

GR

Just got my second Cera. No more UFO or ceramic cap and just a Delrin tip. I noticed that is what the pics showed but I had come to like the UFO, oh well still have my original one. Looks like if you order the LL Cera or the LL cart you get the UFO and ceramic top. Not sure how I feel about paying the same and getting less.

toros23

Just got my second Cera. No more UFO or ceramic cap and just a Delrin tip. I noticed that is what the pics showed but I had come to like the UFO, oh well still have my original one. Looks like if you order the LL Cera or the LL cart you get the UFO and ceramic top. Not sure how I feel about paying the same and getting less.

That's a bummer. I noticed they changed the pics but the prices were still the same so I didn't think anything of it. I think I would be really disappointed, that mouthpiece is a huge selling point IMO. Even with the EO carts.

jpdnkstr

That's a bummer. I noticed they changed the pics but the prices were still the same so I didn't think anything of it. I think I would be really disappointed, that mouthpiece is a huge selling point IMO. Even with the EO carts.

I agree...... mouthpiece should come with all styles. Might just wait for the "light", but I really want to try the EO core now!

jpdnkstr,
Reactions: Tom Funk

OF

I agree...... mouthpiece should come with all styles. Might just wait for the "light", but I really want to try the EO core now!

Last time I was by, they told me about this. It was a bit confusing at the time (as often happens), several things at once, so I might have missed part of it, but what I came away with was this reflects the higher cost of making the EO core over the LL one. There's still a lot of hand fiddling to get the four rings seated with the heater in the center and the 'return' (lead from the top of the coil back down the outside of the stack to the base for attachment). The parts are bitty and the space very tight, and since the walls are metal not ceramic like with the LL core alignment has to be perfect. I've made LL cores, but balked at the EO when I found out that 'everyone' scraps a lot of parts learning to make a reliable one (where the stack doesn't shift over with use and hit the wall).

They didn't want to change the price of cores or complete units, so this is their 'fix'. The idea is it's a replacement core, or an additional one. They now have the experience of making a lot of cores and Ceras and know that while the assembly cost for the LL cores came down as expected the EO ones did not. They reasoned (correctly I think?) that guys would rather have lower prices (unchanged) for the cores and systems than have an extra cap and MP and higher prices that reflect true costs (which you can still buy?). The labor is a major element here, if I understood right the last two runs of cores took the same two guys twice as long to make 50 EO cores over 50 LL ones. That's domestic labor, which is not at all cheap. The cost of the four porous rings and plate is a fair bit more than the (molded and fired) ceramic body of the LL unit. As expected.

As a practical matter, I have used the ceramic cap and MP with EO on Cera, but usually don't (as you'll see n my photos). After one try, I've never used them on cores running on home made adapters. One ceramic cap and MP is all I have to go with all the cores I have. Some of those were Beta test units of course, but I've paid for two EO cores (a spare 'stocker' and a custom high resistance one) and while I could have got Caps and MPs with them, I opted for the drip tips I knew I'd use with them (since I'm using them on adapters, not Cera).

I hope I don't come to regret that, but short of dropping the unit and breaking one I can't see that happening. I only have one Cera.......

While not final, the new design is aimed at the EL and EO users for the most part. All of the drawings I've seen of them have no caps or (ceramic) MPs which I think makes sense when you consider the heat issue is not as big as with LL and the body is no longer ceramic? I would not expect different configurations or pricing there. The same EO core will come the same way since it's not 'model specific'. The reworked EL cores, when ready, will also come without ceramic caps and MPs. I see no advantage in waiting for the 'mini' release.

Upsetting for sure (most changes are, really, including reduction in price.....), but better I think than increasing the cost of the EO cores and systems to provide a cap and MP most guys won't use in the end? This allows them to stick to their plan of no price increases.

Just my take on it, anyway.

OF

Tom Funk

Thanks for the explanation, OF. I had assumed that the LL cores were more expensive to make because of the cost of zirconia, but what you have said clears up my misunderstanding. I think TET has made a good decision.

TF

GR

OF your explaination makes perfect sense, it still doesn't take the shock away when opening a package for a brand new Cera that looks incomplete with out the ceramic cap and UFO., even if it does look less phallic.

I also like to use the Delrin mouth piece for oil. However when being mobile and the Cera going in a pouch and at time in a pocket the ceramic cap and UFO are great protectors from getting debris into the cart.

Also while I see in the accesories the ability to buy the UFO for $50 I do not see an option to buy the ceramic cap, which if I remember correctly came with a purchase of the UFO previously. Maybe this is an oversite even though the text on the UFO accesory says you must have a ceramic cap to use the UFO.

In conclusion if you want the option to have the ceramic cap and UFO at the moment you will have to order the LL cart to get it.

Darb

I have a friend wanting to purchase a EO Cera.
I'm guessing he will have to call if he wants a complete unit?
I don't see the ceramic top for sale on the site.
Might be cheaper to buy a LL Cera with an EO cart and sell the LL cart?

Darb,
Reactions: GR

GR

I have a friend wanting to purchase a EO Cera.
I'm guessing he will have to call if he wants a complete unit?
I don't see the ceramic top for sale on the site.
Might be cheaper to buy a LL Cera with an EO cart and sell the LL cart?
Thats what it seems is the best way of getting it at the moment.
I can accept the EO core and the EL ( when it become available) core when ordering extras not to come with the ceramic, the LL has to have it to use. I can't get behind a complete unit not coming with it, it is not the best choice on TETs part IMO. 6 people that have used my Cera all want an EO version, all of which loved the UFO mouth piece and 4 of them would actually have me buy them the unit. Now with my second strap failure and these changes I have a tough time being the middle man.

I bought this second unit as a gift for a friend, he will not be getting it and I will keep it as a back up until I can work out with TET a way to buy a complete EO Cera with ceramic cap and UFO.

Also I have been in communication with Zeki about my failed Cera with the welded strap since early last week. I am still waiting for a RO# so I can send the unit in. The only saving grace for me right now is I have a working unit which has also allowed me to test all my old cores on ( all work) , to test my old switch (works), and to test the old body with a new core and the new switch (does not work). So while Zeki may not have put much faith in my clamps and wires connecting switch, battery and core together to see if the switch was working or not, which it did prove to me the switch was operational it still didn't get me an RO# in time to mail it before the weekend. All of that is besides the point since I would send my switch in any way for a longer spring added to it, it is 3/8 shorter then the new spring and requires two dimes to make function.

Multiple edits later: I really want to say how much I like the EO carts! They work wonderfully and the more I use it the more I like them. I am 10g into loading with out a full clean out and other then simple curiosity to see how close to original empty weight I can get it cleaned to it really doesn't need a full clean out. Omni carts I tossed after 2g sometimes less before they tasted foul or just performed weaker.

So while I am bitching I am still a big fan of this product. I think my biggest beef is an east coast west coast thing. 7days does not appear to be a big

Edit: I am a big fan of the Cera and the EO cart is the best portable device for oil I have found!
I think my biggest problem is east coast mentality vs west coast mentality. On the East Coast fortunes are made or lost in 7days, that does not seem to be my experience with West Coast business mentality. The we will get to it drives us east coasters up a fucking wall, at least most of us anyway. So I will puff on my functional Cera and chill because I really have no other choice.

Hey guys,

In my eager to try Cera out yesterday I put some concentrate in the EO and fired up, and it vaped like crazy. However the taste and smell was a bit off so I couldn't really get myself to hit it. I opened it up and of course I immediately noticed that there was leftover residue from the extract (forgot to do the foil test - I know stupidity). Now it's soaking in iso and will be boiled later in hope that I can get that residue off again, but I doubt it. Some have gone off but there is still a nasty looking black line across the middle of the top plate and who knows what on the sides and I wonder if it will be smokeable again? Any inputs or experience with this?

What kind of concentrates are you using? Or more specifically how are they extracted?

TIA

Vaporiffic

Vaporiffic,

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
While not final, the new design is aimed at the EL and EO users for the most part. All of the drawings I've seen of them have no caps or (ceramic) MPs which I think makes sense when you consider the heat issue is not as big as with LL and the body is no longer ceramic? I would not expect different configurations or pricing there. The same EO core will come the same way since it's not 'model specific'. The reworked EL cores, when ready, will also come without ceramic caps and MPs. I see no advantage in waiting for the 'mini' release.
After receiving a new body to replace my soldered version, my original EL cart runs so well that I not only prefer to use it without the ceramic collar, I almost have to. If you run it from zero to draw status and let it "rest", I am estimating that it cools down more than twice as fast without the ceramic shroud. The collar & mp were getting hotter than I have ever felt before, way way hotter than with the EO cart.

I have other usability / travel issues with the delrin tip, but it does work better in these instances. If you load the EO cart right you don't ever need to pull claim off the disc surface because it shouldn't ever be spattering that bad, so in that regard it works perfectly with the "restricted" tip off Rev carts.

GR

Hey guys,

In my eager to try Cera out yesterday I put some concentrate in the EO and fired up, and it vaped like crazy. However the taste and smell was a bit off so I couldn't really get myself to hit it. I opened it up and of course I immediately noticed that there was leftover residue from the extract (forgot to do the foil test - I know stupidity). Now it's soaking in iso and will be boiled later in hope that I can get that residue off again, but I doubt it. Some have gone off but there is still a nasty looking black line across the middle of the top plate and who knows what on the sides and I wonder if it will be smokeable again? Any inputs or experience with this?

What kind of concentrates are you using? Or more specifically how are they extracted?

TIA

Vaporiffic

Might be easier if you told us what type of concentrate you loaded?

I use BHO personally. From vaporpedia "EO
High purity concentrates consisting of <20% plant material, paraffins, lipids, etc.
These concentrates may be liquid, soft, or solid at room temperature, as long as they melt when heat is applied"

Things like bubble hash, Kief, and pressed hash which is greater the 20% plant matter I put in the LL cart.

JoeKickass

I would upgrade the delrin 510 tip to aluminum right away, I'm hoping they did the math but the eo cart gets mighty hot and I personally melted a delrin tip on my old revolution... The cart is pretty harsh to hit straight anyway so I always use silicone tubing on the tip to connect to a bong (otherwise yes the metal tip can get quite hot)

But I would never risk molten plastic falling IN the eo core..

Might be easier if you told us what type of concentrate you loaded?

Thx,

Well I tried some apparently bad BHO extract, good thing I didn't really smoke it.

I use BHO personally. From vaporpedia "EO
High purity concentrates consisting of <20% plant material, paraffins, lipids, etc.
These concentrates may be liquid, soft, or solid at room temperature, as long as they melt when heat is applied"

Things like bubble hash, Kief, and pressed hash which is greater the 20% plant matter I put in the LL cart.

Actually I thought it needed to be purer than that to be used in the EO. This would mean some residue left when doing the foil test and in the EO cart itself after a session right?

Thank you,
Vaporiffic

Vaporiffic,

OF

I also like to use the Delrin mouth piece for oil. However when being mobile and the Cera going in a pouch and at time in a pocket the ceramic cap and UFO are great protectors from getting debris into the cart.

In conclusion if you want the option to have the ceramic cap and UFO at the moment you will have to order the LL cart to get it.

I'm with you there. Using (and carrying) the EO cores on the various thread adapters I've been making highlights exactly this problem. Early on I'd put the cart back in it's little vial and the MP in a tube for transit/storage. This led to my using a handy size snap top vial that just fits the cart and short MP:
http://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_containers/polypropylene_vials/427

You want the smallest listed one, roughly one by two inches.

My favorite tip, however, is the slightly longer restricted one from Revolution which won't fit the vial installed. After some playing around I came to another solution I like better. I'm using small vinyl caps from McMaster Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#vinyl-caps/=n7vgck

I'm using the standard ones in several places with different vapes, and the high temperature ones in a few (like messing with body insulation for Cera with sections of the one inch ones, and making my NoName inspired 'switch pusher'). Also very handy for capping Omicron carts which have an even worse 'picks up junk in transit problems IMO. The caps are cheap enough (a few cents each) but you have to buy a bag of 100 (still plenty cheap but you get several lifetimes worth that way.....). I keep forgetting to suggest to TV that they include them in the o-ring kits or perhaps as a stand alone accessory pack....maybe include them with all future shipments (and brace for the complaints.....).

Thats what it seems is the best way of getting it at the moment.

Multiple edits later: I really want to say how much I like the EO carts! They work wonderfully and the more I use it the more I like them. I am 10g into loading with out a full clean out and other then simple curiosity to see how close to original empty weight I can get it cleaned to it really doesn't need a full clean out. Omni carts I tossed after 2g sometimes less before they tasted foul or just performed weaker.

Edit: I am a big fan of the Cera and the EO cart is the best portable device for oil I have found!
I think my biggest problem is east coast mentality vs west coast mentality. On the East Coast fortunes are made or lost in 7days, that does not seem to be my experience with West Coast business mentality. The we will get to it drives us east coasters up a fucking wall, at least most of us anyway. So I will puff on my functional Cera and chill because I really have no other choice.

I agree, I think that's an oversight in the never ending 'fix the web site project'. I can't say for sure, like I said ideas far and wide were flying, but I got the impression they were on board with it and planned a fix so guys could get the pieces as accessories. Time will tell?

The East/West coast thing is something I rarely think of. For sure, while there's the 'what have you done for me today' thing alive and well in LA and places 'down there', Northern California is definitley under the combined 'manana attitude' (Spanish for 'tomorrow', a common answer to 'when will it be done...', the Arabs in Saudi Arabia when I was there said 'Bucra', means the same.....) and the general purpose 'laid back West coast thing'. We tend, I think, to take a much longer term look at some things. FWIW the Principals at TV seem to be 'mountain types' from the wilds of the Rockies, they just came to town to do a little business, they're definitely thinking 'past next spring'.....even without a spec of snow in evidence.

Hey guys,

Bummer, sadly I've done this too in the name of Beta Testing and all. Give it a good try with boiling (I suggest first) and ISO a few times, if you're still jammed or fouled up PM me, I've got a 'hasn't failed yet' secret process that involves some risks so I don't want it getting out into general use (how many times did we hear 'I pre oxidized the living shit out of my Omicron cart and tastes bad (or leaks)'? This over the speific warnings...... As we used to say in the dynamite business, "if some's good, more's better".

Anyway I've got a suggestion or two that bailed me out and has helped a few of our fellow members as well, PM me if necessary I need to swear you too to secrecy before I divulge the secret hand shake.....

OF

GR

Thx,

Well I tried some apparently bad BHO extract, good thing I didn't really smoke it.

Actually I thought it needed to be purer than that to be used in the EO. This would mean some residue left when doing the foil test and in the EO cart itself after a session right?

Thank you,
Vaporiffic

20% impurities will build up over some use however I am finding the EO cart tends to bubble many of the impurities out the loading area when they build up.

I just loaded a new EO cart this morning and doing a full clean on my older cart that has had 10g of oil through it since the last full clean. My oils are more around 90% pure and before this last 10g was put through it had added a 500th of a gram of impurities I have not been able to clean out. I expect that number is higher after another 10g has been through the cart. The nice part of having this extra core is I can spend more time cleaning and soaking the other core. I will report back my findings.

Edit: holy shit, the new oil cart is a pleasure to use. Perfect air flow even with a 1/2 g of oil loaded, heat up time to vape is under 5 sec from cold cart and oil, and flavor is perfect. Very pleasant change, no complaints about the 15sec cold warm up to vape and the restricted airflow until oil warmed from the older cart, but wow!

Edit: thank you OF for the cart case solutions!

I have a cigar caddy 2 which is nice for bag carry. http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Impor...&qid=1371399734&sr=8-1&keywords=cigar+caddy+2

GR

Update to my cleaning of a cart that has 20 g plus of oil through it. So it has been 10 g through the cart since I did a deep clean. My clean has brought me back to within .05 of original weight +\- 0.01. That is the weight I could clean it to before the last 10g went through it. So my torching the cart to red hot previous to this experiment might be the reason that .05g is stubborn to leave.

Happy with the results.

Now will an ultrasonic heated cleaner get the last .05g I seemed to have baked onto away? Lets find out.

JoeKickass

Update to my cleaning of a cart that has 20 g plus of oil through it. So it has been 10 g through the cart since I did a deep clean. My clean has brought me back to within .05 of original weight +\- 0.01. That is the weight I could clean it to before the last 10g went through it. So my torching the cart to red hot previous to this experiment might be the reason that .05g is stubborn to leave.

Happy with the results.

Now will an ultrasonic heated cleaner get the last .05g I seemed to have baked onto away? Lets find out.
Did you actually need to clean the cart (performance drop)?

Or just experimenting?

JoeKickass,
Reactions: NoName

GR

Did you actually need to clean the cart (performance drop)?

Or just experimenting?

It really of could have kept going, but once I loaded a brand new cart and had the smooth draw I wanted to see how a deep clean might improve the performance some. The cart is still soaking and I will keep checking it to see if the .05g that is trapped in there can be removed, it does seem what is still in there is in the nooks and crannies of the airflow.

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools

That is very disappointing,
I only have the EO and that ufo keeps any extra concentrate in the chamber when overfilled or using upside down on a GonG
i would guess that the capacity is diminished as well. Bummer for TeT, seems like lately things havnt been going as good as they had hoped. Glad I got my cera when I did, id Be pretty pissed off if I had waited and received one with a plastic mouthpiece. So what are all of the orings on the cart for now? Kind of a useless eyesore. I think TeT should reconsider that choice...this vape is the most expensive portable on the market, and they want to nickle and dime you over a mouthpiece??? Wtf?

Soflo,

toros23

I'm using small vinyl caps from McMaster Carr:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#vinyl-caps/=n7vgck

Hey OF - Are these the same ones I mentioned a while back that TET uses as a cap for the clear tubes they send out the Cera body in? If so, many people already have them and may not realize it.

Glad I got my cera when I did, id Be pretty pissed off if I had waited and received one with a plastic mouthpiece.

I agree, is an interesting move. Would have expected Tim or someone else from TET to pop in and say something but I guess OF covered it for them.

toros23,
Top Bottom