Discontinued Thermovape Cera

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Hey OF, could you see any trouble arising from leaving the Cera (body, core, MP) in a freezer for 20-30 minutes (or longer, say if you forgot) prior-to/in-between usage?

nopartofme,
Reactions: OF

OF

quick question about the EO cart. i have noticed that with some oils there is what looks like oil which accumulates on the inner walls of the cartridge and will not vaporize or absorb into the ceramic. are they leftover waxes and other schmaltz that are indicative that i shouldn't use that oil in the EO cartridge?

also sometimes during extended sessions i find oil comes out of the mouthpiece, am i over-filling it?

Howdy, welcome to the Forum and the fun.

Hard to say what you're looking at, but some vapor does condense on the metal and eventually drips back into the core. Likewise it can get up into the mouthpiece but normally should be trapped by the 'UFO structure' (I assume you're using that?). IN either case I wouldn't panic.

I'd also run a foil test on the goods. Put a small bit on some aluminum foil and heat it from below with your lighter. Look for it to quickly and completely melt, flow freely then evaporate off cleanly leaving at most a tiny dark smudge. Anything more will foul the cart earlier than normal, no big deal but it'll mean you'll be cleaning more often than with 'cleaner' goods. If you have debris left, I'd rethink that extract for long term use....

By all means enjoy your EO Cera, it's a good piece of gear for sure.

Best wishes.

Hey OF, could you see any trouble arising from leaving the Cera (body, core, MP) in a freezer for 20-30 minutes (or longer, say if you forgot) prior-to/in-between usage?

No problem I know of, give it a go if you want?

I tried it, but thought the results were poor. Only the first hit seemed cooler to me, I suspect because the surface of the ceramic heated up quickly even though the bulk was still cold? That is frozen on the end I was holding on but 400F inside against the airpath......

OF

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
I actually get a lot of my information the same as you it seems, by experience? A machine I worked on used just such a graphite foil as a beam stripper. It conducted huge heat loads away to the water jackets half an inch from where it was incandescent from beam strike. Pretty amazing stuff, not your run of the mill graphite, a single crystal oriented correctly.

Please don't put words in my mouth, I said "a layer or two in the right place in a ceramic vape body like Cera"..... The body, not the airpath. Big difference.

As far as 'holding the heat' there's really no such thing. It's a combination of two factors: specific heat (how much heat energy it takes to warm the mass up one degree) and thermal conductivity (how fast heat energy moves through it). They combine to form what we loosely call 'holding the heat'. Insulation (thermal transfer) and 'thermal mass' (how much heat per degree is there) are another way of looking at this kind of thermodynamics stuff. You've no doubt seen the glowing Shuttle tiles you can touch? Moderate thermal mass but very very little conduction. Fun stuff, years back I actually got a chance to pluck a glowing block of it out of a bucket of water.....pretty cool (at least on the outside surface).

I'm suggesting tasking advantage of a neat selective thermal conductivity property of the material. A barrier of the stuff should direct the heat to the side like a seawall does to a wave I'd think. I'd use it to transfer the heat from the ceramic bulk outward to the surface then coupling it to a good surface (like dark aluminum) to radiate and convectively remove it before it can conduct itself further downward to your hand and battery. No exposed graphite anywhere, right?

OF
I guess I havn't played with the crystalized carbon, (that sounds like fancy stuff!) My experience with carbon is a little different than yours, I hit it with 1000deg boro, I have paddles,reamers, mavers, and plates all from graphite. You can heat a rod of boro and the reamer of the same diameter and the boro will cool much faster than the carbon. Boro keeps the heat mostly in one place, the carbon tends to spread out the heat. I can see if it were next to a water jacket it could easily disperse heat to the water. But carbon alone will "hold" quite a fair amount of heat. How does this crystaline carbon hold up to stress and does it leave powder on your hands when touched?

OF

How does this crystaline carbon hold up to stress and does it leave powder on your hands when touched?

It's brittle, we broke one installing it. Bloody expensive and took a long time to replace, the boss was mad. Glad it wasn't me. Since it was high vacuum we never touched it (gloves only) but I suspect it's pretty non marking. In practice I think it'd be completely sealed up though so it wouldn't matter.

The graphite you use is crystalline as well, just poly crystal (rather than one big one) and typically pressed into shape rather than grown like the stuff I'm talking about.

Single crystals can be a trip. While the grains in aluminum we know and love are generally pretty small, did you know that high performance turbine blades are typically single crystal? One crystal 6 or 8 feet long without significant atoms out of place. Blows my mind to think such things can be made, let alone a passenger jet might have many hundreds on board?

OF

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
It's brittle, we broke one installing it. Bloody expensive and took a long time to replace, the boss was mad. Glad it wasn't me. Since it was high vacuum we never touched it (gloves only) but I suspect it's pretty non marking. In practice I think it'd be completely sealed up though so it wouldn't matter.

The graphite you use is crystalline as well, just poly crystal (rather than one big one) and typically pressed into shape rather than grown like the stuff I'm talking about.

Single crystals can be a trip. While the grains in aluminum we know and love are generally pretty small, did you know that high performance turbine blades are typically single crystal? One crystal 6 or 8 feet long without significant atoms out of place. Blows my mind to think such things can be made, let alone a passenger jet might have many hundreds on board?

OF

Really? I watched a "how its made" on turbines. Looked like they were billet to me.
Pretty sure those aren't aluminum either, alloy possibly, mabye Ti like our ceras!
I work at an airport and have some pretty gnarly pics of the inside of turbines after a bird strike.
Those fins can take a beating!

Soflo,

OF

Really? I watched a "how its made" on turbines. Looked like they were billet to me.
Pretty sure those aren't aluminum either, alloy possibly, mabye Ti like our ceras!
I work at an airport and have some pretty gnarly pics of the inside of turbines after a bird strike.
Those fins can take a beating!

Yup, I'm sure. Single crystals can be alloys as well, they just have a single grain of huge size. They are grown in billet form usually, by slowly withdrawing a 'seed' crystal from the melt under the right conditions. Silicon is also made this way to make semiconductors. They grow a crystal a foot or so in diameter and several long then slice it into wafers with diamond blades and polish the surface to near atomic flatness. All Si in this case, a single crystal might have a few hundred atoms of everything else in the universe in there.

The Aluminum blades are machined and polished then sometimes coated (which is how I come to know them). When I worked at Airco Temescal years back we ran a coating facility that vacuum coated single GE and P&W blades one at a time. The machine ran 3 shifts, loading serial numbered blades one at a time in the airlock on one side then taking them out of the other four hours later and putting it back in the same box. Boring work, but you could loose your job if you mixed them up, lotta bucks there.

Anyway, if the topic interests you there's a lot of long hair info out there on it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sin...fficial&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

I've never seen a big guy go, but I've been around TMPs (Turbo Molecular Pumps, the electrically driven analog to the compressor section of a gas turbine) when they ate the odd screw. Slow ones are doing 60,000 RPM, pretty spectacular for sure. Nothing but lots of scrap left a few microseconds later.

OF

darkrom

Great Scott!
Well the replacement cera already stopped heating. :cry: Verified with my abundance of batteries.

Wanted to vape some bubble hash I saved for today. Been awake for far too long due to back pain. About 1 more week of hell until I get a new mattress...and now I have to do it without my cera :bang:

Opened a claim with thermovape again.

darkrom,

OF

Well the replacement cera already stopped heating. :cry: Verified with my abundance of batteries.

Bummer indeed. Please refresh my memory here, you just had it die after a few days, send it in and it came back fine only to die again?

Did they tell you what was wrong the first time? I assume the strap? This is a LL core, right? Something's not right here (obviously....) chances of two in a row are mighty slim. Anyone else but you I'd be awfully suspect......

How are you fixed for IMR 14500s? I'm thinking maybe I could mail you one of these springs and you could at least keep it going while sorting it out?

OF

OF,
Reactions: NoName

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
Yeah I love cool science while medicated, I've always wanted to do something with aerogel but it's only affordable as granules: http://www.unitednuclear.com/?ain_page=product_info&cPath=16_17_69&products_id=89
Thats awesome, thanks joekickass

Check this out -------------------------------------->

More futuristic materials

http://lifeboat.com/ex/10.futuristic.materials

Alumina is 3 times stronger than steel and see thru!!!!!!
:mmmm:
JIUlBxp.jpg

Transparent alumina is three times stronger than steel and transparent. The number of applications for this are huge. Imagine an entire skyscraper or arcology made largely of transparent steel. The skylines of the future could look more like a series of floating black dots (opaque private rooms) rather than the monoliths of today. A huge space station made of transparent alumina could cruise in low Earth orbit without being a creepy black dot when it passes overhead. And hey… transparent swords!

Soflo

Only birdshit and fools
Yup, I'm sure. Single crystals can be alloys as well, they just have a single grain of huge size. They are grown in billet form usually, by slowly withdrawing a 'seed' crystal from the melt under the right conditions. Silicon is also made this way to make semiconductors. They grow a crystal a foot or so in diameter and several long then slice it into wafers with diamond blades and polish the surface to near atomic flatness. All Si in this case, a single crystal might have a few hundred atoms of everything else in the universe in there.

The Aluminum blades are machined and polished then sometimes coated (which is how I come to know them). When I worked at Airco Temescal years back we ran a coating facility that vacuum coated single GE and P&W blades one at a time. The machine ran 3 shifts, loading serial numbered blades one at a time in the airlock on one side then taking them out of the other four hours later and putting it back in the same box. Boring work, but you could loose your job if you mixed them up, lotta bucks there.

Anyway, if the topic interests you there's a lot of long hair info out there on it:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sin...fficial&client=firefox-a&source=hp&channel=np

I've never seen a big guy go, but I've been around TMPs (Turbo Molecular Pumps, the electrically driven analog to the compressor section of a gas turbine) when they ate the odd screw. Slow ones are doing 60,000 RPM, pretty spectacular for sure. Nothing but lots of scrap left a few microseconds later.

OF

Thanks for the link, that is some interesting reading material!
Now lets integrate this technology into the vape word and we'll all be flying high!

OF

Thanks for the link, that is some interesting reading material!
Now lets integrate this technology into the vape word and we'll all be flying high!

You're welcome. For sure a lot of real fun materials out there, and lots of clever folks pushing it back all the time.

Right behind ya boss! This stuff keeps getting better and better.....as it should, After all, we've been good, right?

OF

Shrike

Flower Potted, Maxed, & Rio'd.
Thats awesome, thanks joekickass

Check this out -------------------------------------->

More futuristic materials

http://lifeboat.com/ex/10.futuristic.materials

Alumina is 3 times stronger than steel and see thru!!!!!!
:mmmm:
JIUlBxp.jpg

Transparent alumina is three times stronger than steel and transparent. The number of applications for this are huge. Imagine an entire skyscraper or arcology made largely of transparent steel. The skylines of the future could look more like a series of floating black dots (opaque private rooms) rather than the monoliths of today. A huge space station made of transparent alumina could cruise in low Earth orbit without being a creepy black dot when it passes overhead. And hey… transparent swords!

So...whoever has claimed to inventing this stuff has Montgomery Scott to thank...changing the name slightly won't matter...we're on to you! ;)

Flightrisk

Wanted to vape some bubble hash I saved for today. Been awake for far too long due to back pain. About 1 more week of hell until I get a new mattress...and now I have to do it without my cera :bang:

Opened a claim with thermovape again.

Oh say it aint so. Thats bad news, man. Fills me with hate and rage.

Mines on the way back now.

The device works good (for me about 48hrs until death) but you just get this feeling that "This piece is not gonna last long at all" when using it. Forget about the weight and outside materials, those are proper (and the easy part). Lets talk about the weakest link which is the electronics and the unit working. Every day. Multiple times a day. Indoors and out.

Im gonna need assurance that the warranty is transferable before I sell this with a clear conscience...

Flightrisk,

darkrom

Great Scott!
Sorry for the jumbled response. On my phone.

OF no other batteries anymore, but thanks anyway! Much appreciated. Yes the odds are very bad. I'll buy a scratch ticket tomorrow. I haven't in years.

Flight risk I've got some incredibly bad luck going on right now, but like I said before I know ThermoVape, and I know they WILL make this right. If we come up with a better switch (IMO the weakest part of this device) they would have no problem talking with us about it, or working to make it happen if possible. I remember when people were modifying the ThermoVape evolution, ThermoVape released parts due to popular demand I believe. At least I thought that was where the ufo mouth piece came from. In this case it is technically the most simple part of the device causing issues. Easy to tweak while keeping the spectacularly working carts functioning.

Trust me I'm not a hype man. Read my list of vapes, I move on fast especially with portables. Thermovape is one company worth sticking by.

tavosvo

Oh say it aint so. Thats bad news, man. Fills me with hate and rage.

Mines on the way back now.

The device works good (for me about 48hrs until death) but you just get this feeling that "This piece is not gonna last long at all" when using it. Forget about the weight and outside materials, those are proper (and the easy part). Lets talk about the weakest link which is the electronics and the unit working. Every day. Multiple times a day. Indoors and out.

Im gonna need assurance that the warranty is transferable before I sell this with a clear conscience...

Not much in the way of electronics in the cera. TET purposefully avoided circuitry for reliability.

I forsee enjoying my cera for many many YEARS. With their excellent warranty policy, I can send cera on a little vacation and she'll come back to me working good as new! For life!

Quetzalcoatl

DEADY GUERRERO/DIRT COBAIN/GEORGE KUSH
I don't think he's implying add more electronics to the switch, but just to make it better. Perhaps more durable, higher quality, I'm not sure. I don't even own one. Just eagerly waiting to see what the Cera Mini looks like and for the thread adapter so I can get with the EO.

BLAZING OG

Vaping is a way of life!
I don't think he's implying add more electronics to the switch, but just to make it better. Perhaps more durable, higher quality, I'm not sure. I don't even own one. Just eagerly waiting to see what the Cera Mini looks like and for the thread adapter so I can get with the EO.
Have you thought about getting the eo core and build a DIY body like joekickass,OF,Darb and others?
The Cera carts will all be compatible with the cera mini body!!

these pic's are from joekickass's postings!!!
KjFO8xn.jpg

qS5Xgxf.jpg

MD3kLDi.jpg

lGIMhIQ.jpg

OF

I have, but I prefer it on my Ultra, and I don't have the money to spend right now so it's a nice thought to have ;)

Hopefully your patients and loyalty will be rewarded soon with a different adapter body for that Ultra. I'm guessing sub fifty bucks by a fair bit if you swap the switch over (no reason not to), plus an EO cart, of course. Make a neat upgrade for the Ultra (and T1 of course). New adapter, core and drip tip as a set?

I'm guessing it's on the list after sorting out the problems on Cera, and releasing the mini Cera? Since TV no longer leases those lovely Swiss screw machines they'll have to 'buy them out' as their new business model functions or I expect it'd be done already? In the old days, with the machines in the same building, such changes happened amazingly fast.

Hang in there, Brother Q, the Calvary is coming.......

OF

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
No problem I know of, give it a go if you want?

I tried it, but thought the results were poor. Only the first hit seemed cooler to me, I suspect because the surface of the ceramic heated up quickly even though the bulk was still cold? That is frozen on the end I was holding on but 400F inside against the airpath......
Cool.

I had the same experience that you did with pre-cooling, cold hands and no significant benefit to show for it. But, in a party-type situation where you might want to run the thing almost non-stop, throwing it in the freezer to help it cool down quicker could be nice.

nopartofme,
Reactions: OF

OF

Cool.

I had the same experience that you did with pre-cooling, cold hands and no significant benefit to show for it. But, in a party-type situation where you might want to run the thing almost non-stop, throwing it in the freezer to help it cool down quicker could be nice.

Interesting idea, but you could cool it much faster running some water over it in the sink I bet? Water cooling beats air cooling hands down.

OF

mestizo

Does anybody know if TET will sell the Cera at retail stores like the T1 and Revolution.
And if the answer is yes, how much do we expect to pay per a SS unit with one core.
Thanks.

Mestizo

mestizo,
Howdy, welcome to the Forum and the fun.

Hard to say what you're looking at, but some vapor does condense on the metal and eventually drips back into the core. Likewise it can get up into the mouthpiece but normally should be trapped by the 'UFO structure' (I assume you're using that?). IN either case I wouldn't panic.

thanks for the help!

this buildup on the walls seems to be stuff that won't vape, so i'm pretty sure it's waxes and plant matter. i've been able to stick a glass dabbing tool in there and pull it all out with no fuss, is that safe to do, or do i have to do a full iso clean every time i want to clear any muck out?

I'd also run a foil test on the goods. Put a small bit on some aluminum foil and heat it from below with your lighter. Look for it to quickly and completely melt, flow freely then evaporate off cleanly leaving at most a tiny dark smudge. Anything more will foul the cart earlier than normal, no big deal but it'll mean you'll be cleaning more often than with 'cleaner' goods. If you have debris left, I'd rethink that extract for long term use....

i'll do a foil test, but this is a one-time source for oil, and i got a few grams of it fairly cheaply. if it's not going to damage the cera, then i think i'll run through it and then do a full cleaning.

as to the oil coming out of the mouthpiece, i'm using the normal mouthpiece that comes with it, with the thermal cap. oil seems to collect all through the mouthpiece over time, and after a long session it starts to ooze out the top opening.

then i usually get a paper towel or 2, pop open the mouthpiece and wipe all the parts down (the hot oil wipes off easily.) i don't bother to run a pipe cleaner through the holes but i suppose i should. this oozing happens more quickly when holding the cera upside down to connect to a bong, by the way.

the oil is a minor annoyance as it can be wiped off with a paper towel, but it's a waste of oil and unpleasant to get on one's lips. i'm not that upset about it at all, i'm just wondering if there's something that i need to do to keep this from happening, or if others have noticed it, that's all.

llama_lorry,
Top Bottom