The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

ezpz

Can anyone speak to the shipping times? I'm from Hawaii.
Hawaii native here. I ordered 3 times from madheaters and all packages came in 3-4 weeks.

Actually, when they become available I'm more likely to just get a second head so I don't have to keep taking it apart to use it on glass.
You could just get a second bowl since the oven is easily swappable. But, I’ll be getting an extra oven because, like the TM in its infancy days, I feel the Tempest is that good, that I’ll “need” a backup (just in case).

HaggisHunter

Or it’s a very helpful informative post. Thank you. It just doesn’t help the vas, now I need sugar soap, a metal tea strainer, and a selection of 2.5mm boro and ruby balls for science.
It is at least cheap, I think I get the bottles of liquid for about £1-£1.50, I don't use it all the time and I reuse it. I've had my most recent bottle well over a year :)
Not boring at all (for sad sods like me anyway). Thanks for confirming I had heard of it and it's not dementia (yet!).
You were right, used for cleaning walls before wallpapering, I got that bit wrong, I said it was for good removing it, maybe it's good for wallpaper removal too :)

General Disaster

A Country Member
It is at least cheap, I think I get the bottles of liquid for about £1-£1.50, I don't use it all the time and I reuse it. I've had my most recent bottle well over a year.

You were right, used for cleaning walls before wallpapering, I got that bit wrong, I said it was for good removing it, maybe it's good for wallpaper removal too :)
Aw! Whose splitting hairs! 😁
I now recall as a kid we used to move a lot, mostly old victoria houses, mostly with about 4 or 5 layers of ancient wallpaper! The folk's would strip most of the paper and leave the the hardest little bit's for us kids, then it was on with the sugar soap in an effort to get some paint to stick to the resulting mess! (never let kids do a pro's job! 🤔🙄).

Unfortunately I have what's known as Severely Dysfunctional (or is it Deficient? I can never remember! How ironic!) Autobiographical Memory, so I have no actual memories of what I did, only the semantic memory that I did something (great for avoiding ptsd!). So it could well have been used for the paper too, though I think at the start it was mostly soaking with water and scraping hard! I think it was mainly for when nothing else would shift the shit, whatever it was.
Jeez! What am I talking about in a vape forum???!!! I blame the drugs! (again!)

Back on the topic of cleaning the head (the Tempest, not mine! Though now you mention ...) I also had a thought that if iso or other suggestions weren't ideal, there's a wide range of industrial detergents that range into things so strong they'll strip much of the skin of your hands if you spill it on them, and they may make a great cleaning solution, especially if warmed up to soften the residues. But MAD would have to confirm that wouldn't damage any non-metal parts, plus someone somewhere is going to end up hurting themselves by getting the wrong type or not handling properly - "It's only detergent! I wash-up with that every day! Can't be that bad can it?".
Hmmm, maybe it's not such a good idea! 😖

Edit:
The spirit moves me with my new device!

An Ode to Mad Heaters Latest Beta Vaping Device!
The 'pest, o 'pest! Thou art the best!
Thy shit all over all the rest!
I have to admit that I'm impressed,
And this I do not say in jest!
And as you may have rightly guessed,
In just one day, my head is messed!
😤😵🥴

Last edited:

HaggisHunter

Aw! Whose splitting hairs! 😁
I now recall as a kid we used to move a lot, mostly old victoria houses, mostly with about 4 or 5 layers of ancient wallpaper! The folk's would strip most of the paper and leave the the hardest little bit's for us kids, then it was on with the sugar soap in an effort to get some paint to stick to the resulting mess! (never let kids do a pro's job! 🤔🙄).

Unfortunately I have what's known as Severely Dysfunctional (or is it Deficient? I can never remember! How ironic!) Autobiographical Memory, so I have no actual memories of what I did, only the semantic memory that I did something (great for avoiding ptsd!). So it could well have been used for the paper too, though I think at the start it was mostly soaking with water and scraping hard! I think it was mainly for when nothing else would shift the shit, whatever it was.
Jeez! What am I talking about in a vape forum???!!! I blame the drugs! (again!)

Back on the topic of cleaning the head (the Tempest, not mine! Though now you mention ...) I also had a thought that if iso or other suggestions weren't ideal, there's a wide range of industrial detergents that range into things so strong they'll strip much of the skin of your hands if you spill it on them, and they may make a great cleaning solution, especially if warmed up to soften the residues. But MAD would have to confirm that wouldn't damage any non-metal parts, plus someone somewhere is going to end up hurting themselves by getting the wrong type or not handling properly - "It's only detergent! I wash-up with that every day! Can't be that bad can it?".
Hmmm, maybe it's not such a good idea! 😖

Edit:
The spirit moves me with my new device!

An Ode to Mad Heaters Latest Beta Vaping Device!
The 'pest, o 'pest! Thou art the best!
Thy shit all over all the rest!
I have to admit that I'm impressed,
And this I do not say in jest!
And as you may have rightly guessed,
In just one day, my head is messed!
😤😵🥴
Our parents did the same, we got all the nasty bits they didn't want to do.

"I bet you can't get these bits off kids!"

"I BET WE CAN!"

I can hear the Charles Montgomery burns in them now "excellent" :lol:

I do a little anodising as well, sugar soap and one of those little white 'magic eraser' sponges is what I use for cleaning the parts I anodise before sending to customers, they do a good job of bringing the coloured parts up to a lovely shine.

General Disaster

A Country Member
Our parents did the same, we got all the nasty bits they didn't want to do.
Ha! Did they make you do all the weeding and digging in the garden, ready for them to do the fun bits of planting etc? 🤣
I've hated gardening ever since!

Kids are great for exploitation! Can't even fight back half the time! I knew I should have had more! One, my friend, just isn't enough to keep me in the style to which I aspire! And she buggered off to the smoke as soon as she had the chance! (don't blame her either! Woulda done the same! 😏)
Ha! Just realised - The Smoke - should we call London The Vapour now? More in keeping? 🤔

" little white 'magic eraser' sponges" ¿Not come across that, do tell?

If it's not a rude or inappropriate question, what do you make/do? (just curious, no real reason)

General Disaster,

rebelFarmer

I was very tempted to pick up one of those green ones but I decided I would wait and let everybody get their first one before I got my 2nd one... ;)

Actually, when they become available I'm more likely to just get a second head so I don't have to keep taking it apart to use it on glass.
Same as man! Want a second head for the glass and a wood stem for the cold and looks when they drop and the upgrade kit is out. This thing is daily, love it.

Woolf

Hi!
March is coming. Do you think the tempest will be released in march or is there probably a delay 😅.
Nice Greets!

Woolf,

General Disaster

A Country Member
Hi!
March is coming. Do you think the tempest will be released in march or is there probably a delay 😅.
Nice Greets!
I believe the latest word from MH is late March, but if you want an almost release ready, you may just get lucky on the MH website between now and Sunday. But if there are a few more to come, I think it's done on a first come first served basis, with little warning that there may be some in stock (for a fleetingly short period).

But bear in mind end of March is a projection, if any changes or issues whatever, they'll wait until it's ready. They seem to be perfectionists (i.e. they don't put out products that are not 100% ready for retail, unlike certain other companies who may rest on their reps). I guess you'd call that good business rather than perfection, but these days, it seems that's rarer and rarer (good business, that is).

[Edit:]

Beware The Ides Of March!​

(Oh, hang about, wrong play! 😖)

Last edited:

Brenyo

Manufacturer
But MAD would have to confirm that wouldn't damage any non-metal parts,
There are only metal parts in there apart from the balls. Should be fine :)

Hi!
Nice Greets!
There will probably be a delay, the preorder might start around the end of march

General Disaster

A Country Member
There are only metal parts in there apart from the balls. Should be fine :)
Good to know! Thanks.

(not so) Quick Q. if I may, are there any parts in the head, and I'm really thinking about the top of the cap where the temperature indicator sits, that could be sensitive to over-heating? I know that's a bit ambiguous (what the hell does "over heating" mean? 🙄).
What I'm thinking is about possible ways to heat it up, and what the danger areas may be, to give some idea of what could work, and what could leave me crying, with a twisted half melted Tempest cap in my paws! (ok, being a little facetious there).

I suppose what sparked that off (apart from daydreaming about making a simple IH) was I was holding the 'pest last night, admiring it in my stupor, and noticed the (currently redundant) TM2 on my desk, and thinking, that oven would be a nice fit for the 'pest... Hmmm...
Now I wasn't quite stupid/stoned enough to actually do it! (plus, I think some sort of lining may be in order anyway)
But it did get me to thinking about what could work outdoors that would be pocket sized not wand sized, and the TM2 does seem to be an excellent source of rapid high temperatures. Some sort of adapter?
Induction's old hat, butane's a pain, but has anyone come up with any other way to heat? Does the idea of an electric oven sound feasible in your opinion? (just idle speculation, won't take it as gospel and complain afterwards! 😏).

General Disaster,
Reactions: Wozz

unlessFudlic

An oven like the Tm's can heat its own coil in fast time. When you add a component that absorbs and retains heat the way the tempest head will, you demand more from the source. The single battery cannot heat it sufficiently, imo, no matter how much time you give it. I think saying ih is old hat is a curious proposition. For outdoors I'm thinking of something I can set beside a campfire, like the Chaos. Just use it like a flat iron. Holy Joe.

unlessFudlic,
Reactions: TedJones

General Disaster

A Country Member
An oven like the Tm's can heat its own coil in fast time. When you add a component that absorbs and retains heat the way the tempest head will, you demand more from the source. The single battery cannot heat it sufficiently, imo, no matter how much time you give it. I think saying ih is old hat is a curious proposition. For outdoors I'm thinking of something I can set beside a campfire, like the Chaos. Just use it like a flat iron. Holy Joe.
I'm inclined to agree, but where my thoughts were going, was if the TM2 can produce those sort of temperatures at that speed, in a unit that fits the pocket very nicely, and shielded from wind (blah blah) , if it could be done properly (maybe the steel coil heater could be wrapped around a suitable tube (electrical insulator and heat conductor) with plenty insulation to reduce heat loss elsewhere, could it be possible to heat up a 'pest maybe 3/4 times enough to empty a bowl each time? I'd buy that for a dollar! 😄

General Disaster,

rebelFarmer

I'm inclined to agree, but where my thoughts were going, was if the TM2 can produce those sort of temperatures at that speed, in a unit that fits the pocket very nicely, and shielded from wind (blah blah) , if it could be done properly (maybe the steel coil heater could be wrapped around a suitable tube (electrical insulator and heat conductor) with plenty insulation to reduce heat loss elsewhere, could it be possible to heat up a 'pest maybe 3/4 times enough to empty a bowl each time? I'd buy that for a dollar! 😄
Congrats you just invented a IH , welll except the pocket fit!:p

rebelFarmer,
  • Haha
Reactions: simba

Wozz

Good to know! Thanks.

(not so) Quick Q. if I may, are there any parts in the head, and I'm really thinking about the top of the cap where the temperature indicator sits, that could be sensitive to over-heating? I know that's a bit ambiguous (what the hell does "over heating" mean? 🙄).
What I'm thinking is about possible ways to heat it up, and what the danger areas may be, to give some idea of what could work, and what could leave me crying, with a twisted half melted Tempest cap in my paws! (ok, being a little facetious there).

I suppose what sparked that off (apart from daydreaming about making a simple IH) was I was holding the 'pest last night, admiring it in my stupor, and noticed the (currently redundant) TM2 on my desk, and thinking, that oven would be a nice fit for the 'pest... Hmmm...
Now I wasn't quite stupid/stoned enough to actually do it! (plus, I think some sort of lining may be in order anyway)
But it did get me to thinking about what could work outdoors that would be pocket sized not wand sized, and the TM2 does seem to be an excellent source of rapid high temperatures. Some sort of adapter?
Induction's old hat, butane's a pain, but has anyone come up with any other way to heat? Does the idea of an electric oven sound feasible in your opinion? (just idle speculation, won't take it as gospel and complain afterwards! 😏).
Wow ! 😁

I had literally the very same thought myself last night.

I picked up a wand yesterday.
I thought, well the hype has certainly turned out to be well deserved for the Tempest, maybe the wand is as good to use as folks are saying, only one way to find out...

Well , I'm glad I started off with a torch. Horses for courses and all that, but I had no learning curve with my torch. Able to get anywhere from light brown to very dark avb. No issues with a second heat up. N love watching the vi move along.
Happy with my setup, more than happy.
Only time I'd thought of the wand was when gaming or when in bed at a night.
Having to put the lights on etc when I could potentially just use a wand..

First impressions of the wand were not good tbh.

Confused myself with the adapter.
The battery indicator 🤷‍♂️

Very nearly combustion on my 2nd attempt..

So I found myself looking at my TM. 😁
Glad you asked the question 👍

I persevered with the wand, I think I'm about there.
Messing with the adapter and different temps I certainly got through some weed last night 😁

The wand works, but just that it works.
Using it, for me, didn't feel as special/ magical.
Feel more in control and familiar using a torch.

But, it will be handy for gaming and of a night.
Did find it to be two very different experiences wand v torch.

Don't think there is a right and wrong here, or better or worse, just which clicks more for you .

But yeah, I did consider seeing if my TM was up to the job of being a ih 😁 great minds 😁

bupbups

Wow ! 😁

I thought, well the hype has certainly turned out to be well deserved for the Tempest, maybe the wand is as good to use as folks are saying, only one way to find out...

Well , I'm glad I started off with a torch. Horses for courses and all that, but I had no learning curve with my torch. Able to get anywhere from light brown to very dark avb. No issues with a second heat up. N love watching the vi move along.

Messing with the adapter and different temps I certainly got through some weed last night 😁

Don't think there is a right and wrong here, or better or worse, just which clicks more for you .

But yeah, I did consider seeing if my TM was up to the job of being a ih 😁 great minds 😁
What heat and setting had you the wand at?

I keep seeing people say just put the tempest in the wand @575 until time out etc to clear in a hit or 2 but you didn't find it this easy no?

I'm hoping to get my tempest delivered tomorrow and have a wand sitting there so thanks for the code brown 😅

Wozz

I keep seeing people say just put the tempest in the wand @575 until time out etc to clear in a hit or 2 but you didn't find it this easy no?

I'm hoping to get my tempest delivered tomorrow and have a wand sitting there so thanks for the code brown 😅
I think it was at 300⁰c , until time out.
Think I went as high as 350, and low as 270

My issue , I think, was the positioning of the adapter.

In my defence, it's the first time I've used a wand, if you already have one, it doesn't seem alien to you.

Using the torch was just second nature. Felt similar to driving a new car, start slow, get familiar before really opening it.

I couldn't see the vi so the loss of control made an impact mentally. This probably influenced the experience.

Just tweaks and a learning curve which I didn't experience with the torch.

I could fully understand if someone had the exact opposite experience though.

Whatever you are more used to and comfortable with

Wozz,

Wozz

Ahh the joy of FC 😁
That's why sharing is good 😁

I should probably have put many of my ideas on here before trying them in RL, not just on vapes but actual life choices 😂 might have made for an easier ride .

General Disaster

A Country Member
Wow ! 😁

Yup, think we're ina similar boat here. I'm almost certainly going to end up getting a wand come payday, but it rankles, I hate buying something I don't like very much, because I know no better alternative.
I seriously considered buy a £15 120W IH circuit and coil, and a £20 PSU, and just hammered the lot together for a dodgy as possible desktop heater! (which is also what prompted the thought about heat damage to the top of the cap - I presume that indicator is some sort of bi-metal strip, will it warp at a certain temp? (of course it will!)).

Jus' looking at that IH-like hole in the TM2, knowing it get's fuckin' hot in there, was just hard to ignore! Y'know, the way you just can't stop yourself sticking a screw driver in a main's socket when you're young. 😁
If it wasn't for the fact I couldn't bare to lose either device, I would be tempted to see how bad a job it does (i.e. could it actually do this with some modification?).

Thanks for the info on the wand though, good to know not to get too excited until function becomes clear! RTFM?
Next mind-project - a peltier cooler with rechargeable batteries! 🤣
Heat sink? Heat sink! I don need no steenkin' heat sink!
(credit to Houston's Sierra Madre)

Last edited:
General Disaster,

General Disaster

A Country Member
Ahh the joy of FC 😁
That's why sharing is good 😁

I should probably have put many of my ideas on here before trying them in RL, not just on vapes but actual life choices 😂 might have made for an easier ride .
Well I have the huge advantage of relying on others to actually makes good shit, I stick to stoopid ideas that I can reject as soon as someone spots the killa-flaw that I shoulda, and move rapidly on to the next, with a mere funeral service of ashes (well, avb actually) for the last failure, before ramping up stoopid project #2584.5.03 in the squishy ol' database up top.

Howabout this! A modified Reload G2? Like the current model, but extra segments to screw on! A butane torch in one, a grinder in another, maybe a miniature WP in another? Possible one for some spare batteries for the Tempest? (I know! 😉) plus a really special one called the 'Tardis' segment, it can store every other segment in the thing, so you can reduce it to the size of a tiny grinder! It'll have built-in GPS and theft alarm, and a screen for posting to FC.com. The Tardis option came later, when I realised it was about a metre high when assembled, it was that, or a specially design backpack to hold it in, but this addition has solved that nicely! Was rather chuffed with myself for thinking of that!

Now it's just a matter of finding someone to manufacture it for no more than £3.89, and I'll be rich! RICH I SAY!!!
(It's just lucky you can be rich in things other than money though! (as Freewheelin' always said))

[Edit:]
Is it just me, but whenever I sit there, holding the Tempest in my hand, in a deep contemplative manner, I keep thinking I can hear Air on the G String in the background?
"Happiness..., is a vape called Tempest!" 😤

Last edited:
General Disaster,

Beansuppa

I think it was at 300⁰c , until time out.
Think I went as high as 350, and low as 270

My issue , I think, was the positioning of the adapter.

In my defence, it's the first time I've used a wand, if you already have one, it doesn't seem alien to you.

Using the torch was just second nature. Felt similar to driving a new car, start slow, get familiar before really opening it.

I couldn't see the vi so the loss of control made an impact mentally. This probably influenced the experience.

Just tweaks and a learning curve which I didn't experience with the torch.

I could fully understand if someone had the exact opposite experience though.

Whatever you are more used to and comfortable with

If you guys search Brenyo's responses in this thread, he has a couple posts about adapter positioning as well as temps.

For wand temps, 280c/535f until time out will get you right to the 3rd line on a calibrated VI. 400c/750f until the blinks stop will get you just past the 3rd line. I found these to be great starting spots, and from there you can tweak to your liking.

For the depth of the adapter position, that's better to just reference from Brenyo's post...I don't have the image on hand. But there's a specific spot you can have it at that'll get full coverage of the tip while leaving the entire herb chamber untouched.

rebelFarmer

And the tiny weeny meeny miney matter of the fact that it doesn't use induction at all? Just conduction?
Maybe you missed that bit?

Besides, jus' stoned rappin' anyway! :tinfoil:
Oh that small detail haha! No I hear you, wish we had something smaller and effective and looked into similar ideas with a vape mod etc! The wand is the best for me right now, but I don't like the form factor really either.

And just so I am not totally talking shit! I set my glass adapter so the tempests vertical lines on the cap are at the top of the glass and I run it at 525F until time out, I actually do go a bit beyond the 3rd line on the VI but mine is probably not calibrated (frankly never cared, to timeout on this setting gives me what I want).

rebelFarmer,

General Disaster

A Country Member
If you guys search Brenyo's responses in this thread, he has a couple posts about adapter positioning as well as temps.
Yeah, in fact that was one of the things that made me rather wary about the idea of actually treating it to such rough treatment without having a clue! I wasn't sure how much that was for perfect heat positioning or to avoid heating the mechanism in the cap, and if so, because of risk of damage, or just bad temp indication, or even mis-calibration?

Also, knowing sweet f.a. about induction, I have no idea of the shape of the field and what sort of density profile it has, where it heats most, how the metal may effect that shape, etc etc blah blah... so I was curious about just what is safe and may not be in heating it up.
I honestly believe the heating part of this game is falling well behind the tech of the vapes themselves (re: butane/ih powered devices).
If I had the patience of a normal human being, I would await MH's effusively awaited 'pest friendly heater, but sadly, the wisdom of old age doesn't become me!

General Disaster,
Reactions: Wozz

General Disaster

A Country Member
Oh that small detail haha! No I hear you, wish we had something smaller and effective and looked into similar ideas with a vape mod etc! The wand is the best for me right now, but I don't like the form factor really either.

And just so I am not totally talking shit! I set my glass adapter so the tempests vertical lines on the cap are at the top of the glass and I run it at 525F until time out, I actually do go a bit beyond the 3rd line on the VI but mine is probably not calibrated (frankly never cared, to timeout on this setting gives me what I want).
Yeah - totally! My dissatisfaction with the current efforts on the market was what started this trail I think, plus the depressing thought that it r3eally is going to be a wand for now.😢
And just so I am not totally talking shit! I set my glass adapter so the tempests vertical lines on the cap are at the top of the glass and I run it at 525F
Just a fuckin' minute there! Are you saying you've actually tried this with your TM2 and 'pest??? Do tell us more! What happened! Did it work well?
Any clue how much heating it took (number of goes per recharge, or something?) How long did it take to get to temp?
I dunno if I'd dare do this (I have a habit of cack-handedly fucking up my best kit - "It seemed like a good idea at the time!" ), but I'm interested to know what sort of effectiveness it gave. I have to wonder at building a little pocket sized conduction heater for the 'pest. (no, I'd never actually do it, but might think out how it could work, just for fun).

General Disaster,

kegstandman420

Does anyone know the dimensions of the tempest? I'm waiting on mine but would like to get a leather pen case for carrying/decapping.

kegstandman420,
Top Bottom