The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

borbjorbis

I believe the latest word from MH is late March, but if you want an almost release ready, you may just get lucky on the MH website between now and Sunday. But if there are a few more to come, I think it's done on a first come first served basis, with little warning that there may be some in stock (for a fleetingly short period).

But bear in mind end of March is a projection, if any changes or issues whatever, they'll wait until it's ready. They seem to be perfectionists (i.e. they don't put out products that are not 100% ready for retail, unlike certain other companies who may rest on their reps). I guess you'd call that good business rather than perfection, but these days, it seems that's rarer and rarer (good business, that is).

[Edit:]

Beware The Ides Of March!​

(Oh, hang about, wrong play! 😖)
Quoting Julius Caesar, alluding to The Tempest I imagine, and there's a user named Woolf who liked your post? What a strangely literary turn this thread has taken. Likely all a coincidence, of course, but nonetheless one that presently moves me. The power of the internet, I suppose.

Virginia Woolf, Shakespeare, and vaporizers... what a treat.

rebelFarmer

Just a fuckin' minute there! Are you saying you've actually tried this with your TM2 and 'pest??? Do tell us more! What happened! Did it work well?
Any clue how much heating it took (number of goes per recharge, or something?) How long did it take to get to temp?
I dunno if I'd dare do this (I have a habit of cack-handedly fucking up my best kit - "It seemed like a good idea at the time!" ), but I'm interested to know what sort of effectiveness it gave. I have to wonder at building a little pocket sized conduction heater for the 'pest. (no, I'd never actually do it, but might think out how it could work, just for fun).
Nope, I mean in the wand, sorry if I was not clear. I will say that using a torch I have gotten it red on the band on the tempest cap where my rather large torch was blasting and it did do fine, I rarely use the torch though; only when I run out of battery haha which happens pretty quick sometimes.

I do find the concept of the flare from bfg and yll interesting as a potential upgrade from the wand!

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
And the tiny weeny meeny miney matter of the fact that it doesn't use induction at all? Just conduction?
Maybe you missed that bit?
I think you have answered your question here?
The TM is relying on convection heating. So you need to draw air thru the heater so the heated air can cook the herb.
If you are not drawing air thru it there will be little to no heat transfer and since the coil doesn't touch any metal there's no/hardly any conduction heating going to occur.
Your TM coil will get blistering hot (not ideal when not drawing on it imo) while the balls in the cap will probably never reach vaping temperatures if the cap just sits there on the screen above the coil...
So you basically would have to draw on it to heat the balls first before vaping can happen imo? (Which will be never i suspect :D)
But i might be wrong in this, just thinking out loud...

Last edited:

ljstavy

to the people beta testing the tempest i have a question. Does the tempest allow for me to take a hit or two and put the unit down and come back/reheat at a later time? Like does reheating the bowl affect taste like it would do in a dynavap if i did that. Or since its convection it can be reheated. new to vapes besides the dynavap haha.

ljstavy,
Reactions: Octavia

General Disaster

A Country Member
The best way to clean the balls for a clumsy person (yeah, it sounds horrible)
Hang on, are we still talking about the Tempest? 😉

I think you have answered your question here?
My question was whether there could be a rise of permanent damage to either device, but specifically the Tempest. The point about the method was that I've personally not come across any other ways to heat the fucka (or similar vape), bar butane torch and induction. I was kind of hoping that someone was going to chirp up and enlighten me on other heating devices (not just ih's). The TM2 was really just a thing that triggered the thought - "Hmmm, that get's 'mighty' hot in there, and my Tempest would easily fit... I wonder..." 😊
I did mention it'd at least need a mod of some sort, but better to look at making something based on the heater but designed to heat the head directly (wrapping round tube... etc).
It's really idle speculation. But occasionally, just once in a while, an idea actually comes to something, and I enjoy bouncing things off others too!

to the people beta testing the tempest i have a question. Does the tempest allow for me to take a hit or two and put the unit down and come back/reheat at a later time? Like does reheating the bowl affect taste like it would do in a dynavap if i did that. Or since its convection it can be reheated. new to vapes besides the dynavap haha.
Any vape is going to change the profile of the mix of cannabinoids and terpenes (etc) as you work through the bowl. Obviously, a one bowl hit is a bit different. When you first pull, it'll be more of the lighter boiling point compounds likely to come off first, though not in the a nice clean way (forget those charts showing what temp you get which compounds, doesn't really work like that).

It'll be effected by the temperature, strain, coarseness of grind, density of packing into the bowl, what settings on the stem and cap airflow, not to mention how you pull on it. I'm sure there are other factors too.

Then there's the personal sensitivity to taste and smell, and which compounds you detect over others, I for one, can hardly taste anything at all much of the time, certainly nothing I could describe in any understandable way.

So you certainly can leave some for later and reheat, but I suspect it'll never be quite as good as finishing it on the same cycle. But in terms of taste, I think you need to find out for yourself before anyone else's comments mean a great deal (to you).

Nope, I mean in the wand, sorry if I was not clear. I will say that using a torch I have gotten it red on the band on the tempest cap where my rather large torch was blasting and it did do fine, I rarely use the torch though; only when I run out of battery haha which happens pretty quick sometimes.

I do find the concept of the flare from bfg and yll interesting as a potential upgrade from the wand!
Ah! Sorry, I completely misread you! Was thinking "bloody hell! I bottled out of doing that completely!" 😂

Quoting Julius Caesar, alluding to The Tempest I imagine, and there's a user named Woolf who liked your post?
Well spotted! I did wonder if I'd made it a little too obscure, and no, I have no literary education, or indeed, true appreciation, sad to say, but I'm a sucker for a good pun, incisive quote, or just being bloody silly with whatever I can come up with! I think I also had a Prospero quote in sig for a few days! To celebrate the 'pest arriving! 🤗

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal

Yes. That is mostly how I use it, same as my TM. Most convection vapes can be used that way. Of course the more hits you have taken the less flavor that is left.

vappingallnight

Hey people, I haven't been following the thread for a while and couldn't find my answer with the search tools so apologies if this has recently been discussed.

Is there any benefit or discount for purchasing the first official batch (March launch coming up)? On the 'under construction' webpage it seems only the metal stem version has a discount. Although I was planning on getting the wood sleeve version. Also, before we were getting leather sleeves but from what I'm reading here, that isn't the case anymore.(?)

vappingallnight,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Is there any benefit or discount for purchasing the first official batch (March launch coming up)? On the 'under construction' webpage it seems only the metal stem version has a discount.
It will come with a few extra gifts and that's all I think. The discount is only for the pre-release models which has the extra cost of the updated parts deducted hence the discount.

Also, before we were getting leather sleeves but from what I'm reading here, that isn't the case anymore.(?)
It will be available at launch, still planned just not ready yet.

The wand's set-up instructions in the Tempest Manual is slightly updated now if anyone needs help with it.

bupbups

Tempest and reload arrived this morning, all green looks fantastic just need Mammy to come home from work early so Daddy can log off for a while. 😅
@Brenyo, Do I need to calibrate the tempest before 1st use?

I'm currently following the cleaning instructions but do I need to calibrate anything after cleaning?

bupbups,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
okay okay okay. I've had this thing for over 1 month, and I just realized, the mouthpiece fits a 10mm female joint. I had no idea I could use this natively with a WP, hahaha.
Absolutely doable that way. The upside is ease of use, you just drop it on the WPA and go for it. The other side (down side?) is with glass, and especially with glass and water, you really don't need the cooling the stem provides as much but you still need to clean the goodness that collects in the stem. For me, I think connecting the head only to a WPA makes more sense. YMMV

Last edited:

rebelFarmer

Absolutely doable that way. The upside is ease of use, you just drop it on the WPA and go for it. The other side (down side?) is with glass, and especially with glass and water, you really don't need the cooling the stem provides as much but you still need to clean the goodness that collects in the stem. For me, I think connecting the head only to a WPA makes more sense. YMMV
Your probably right but I like the lazyness and the size of the hit I can take via glass. I never used glass that much before tbh but with this it can be nice for a one and done kinda hit (until I reload!), if I feel like a more jointy feel I pull it off. Granted I want to get a head JUST for the glass so I guess I am just lazy haha!

Feyd2blak

I haven't really done a comparison between native and WPA on glass, do prefer using a WPA, shorter path and keeps the stem clean. Tbh I've barely been using any of the glass I used with the mighty and Dani Fusion, native is just so clean and easy.
@Brenyo lovin the improved instructions, be a big benefit to new users, that 1mm difference in wand depth can really make a huge difference

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Having had lung surgery last March, I find that I can't really take the big hits I used to take. And I also find that my lungs get irritated a little more easily, so I tend to cough more. That is a big part of the reason why I tend to use water and glass when I'm at home. But when I'm out of the house, the Tempest on it's stem is pretty easy compared to anything else I like to use out and about. And before the Tempest, it was the Revolve.
Of course, there are some other vapes I use when out also, like the TM with a nippled J Hook, but the Tempest has become number One.

Top Bottom