The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

Dubber

Do you maybe have a pic of how far you pushed the glass tube into the wand?
From the bottom:

The glass cup is all the way up in the wand. But maybe the coil in my Wand is to high, I don´t know if this is even possible?

For me, on 290C the roast is perfect, light to dark-ish, one cycle full extracted. Airflow 3/4 open, direct tube with SCU, mouthpiece fixed (I only use Wand), direct bypass, closed with finger and the occasional feathering ;)

Feyd2blak

Good luck ever getting that thing back in half setting again. It was no lie about it being difficult. I decided to try full bowl then I tried for a very long time to get it in half bowl again. I thought I finally had it but then it popped out during debowling. Oh well, full bowl it is for now.
Guessing you don't have a reload? I've been switching between half and full bowl using that no problem so far, just with the test kit screens from Brenyo. Did fall out once on half but if you can slot it in stays pretty solid on half for me

Feyd2blak,
Reactions: ezpz

ahm123

Guessing you don't have a reload? I've been switching between half and full bowl using that no problem so far, just with the test kit screens from Brenyo. Did fall out once on half but if you can slot it in stays pretty solid on half for me
same, i have had zero issues with half bowl. i originally intended to keep it in place so i didn’t have future issues because that’s what i prefer but have been taking it out for each cleaning lately because it’s such a breeze. also, didn’t even think to use the tool on the reload. can’t believe how many functions that thing has. been doing a lot of “testing” and was using a q tip to align the half bowl. mad heaters gets me mad high. it’s that good i overlook the genius of it sometimes :clap:

ahm123,
Reactions: Smknbud

Misterhyde

I do have a reload, but only v1. I'm assuming there is something special on v2 for the tempest?

Misterhyde,

Jojofernz

I may well grab a second oven/cap to live permanently on glass. But for the portability of it, I intend to use the stem as well.
Besides, it's fucking gorgeous.

Stemon-Reload.jpg
Did you anodize that yourself or get it anodized? Or were you able to get one of the colors?

Looks great! I hope to find someone or somehow to help anodize my raw titanium sometime

Jojofernz,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Did you anodize that yourself or get it anodized? Or were you able to get one of the colors?

Looks great! I hope to find someone or somehow to help anodize my raw titanium sometime
No, that's how it came. I mentioned that I was gonna wait for release to get my color combo and I think this might have been one of the units with sample colors. I really think it's a beauty and it's very close to the color of my reload as you can see. A little darker maybe but close.

leanpubpackage

I also prefer the direct tube for native massive hits and dense clouds. (+ SCU, cap airflow 2/3 closed, carb on "direct by pass" but closed with my finger).
also prefer direct tube with scu. Carb completely closed. Much better airflow and the vapor is warm but not harsh. Full of flavor and worth the trade off in cooling

Jojofernz

I do have a reload, but only v1. I'm assuming there is something special on v2 for the tempest?
I have both the reloads and don’t actually use it to set the screens, have you tried a different screen that came with it? I have a screen that is almost impossible to fit in the half setting but a couple others I try almost work better in the half setting

Jojofernz,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
also prefer direct tube with scu. Carb completely closed. Much better airflow and the vapor is warm but not harsh. Full of flavor and worth the trade off in cooling
been using this setup for the last 24 hours; its fun just heating it up and puffing on it like a cigar while typing away on the keyboard...

@RedZep 0.5g AVB (x2 so 1g total) from my reload from my Tempest use last night, in the Taroma 360, 1 breath and there was no vapor left and as the first bowl for the day (been having tests done all morning so had to wait until this afternoon so this is the most sober I get :p) and there was nothing in it... so for me at least, a full heat cycle with the Tempest seems to remove nearly all of the actives - even when adding a drop of rosin to the top of the bowl.. Very cool

Last edited:

Feyd2blak

Yep the de bowling tool comes out so you can use it to set the screen on tempest, dynas etc, very handy, and the tool functions as a screwdriver to remove the ball screen on the tempest as well

RedZep

been using this setup for the last 24 hours; its fun just heating it up and puffing on it like a cigar while typing away on the keyboard...

@RedZep 0.5g AVB (x2 so 1g total) from my reload from my Tempest use last night, in the Taroma 360, 1 breath and there was no vapor left and as the first bowl for the day (been having tests done all morning so had to wait until this afternoon so this is the most sober I get :p) and there was nothing in it... so for me at least, a full heat cycle with the Tempest seems to remove nearly all of the actives - even when adding a drop of rosin to the top of the bowl.. Very cool
Great stuff. Yeah it's a very capable low temp vape. Whisper it in the halls but I find it more accomplished at lower temps than desktop ball vapes that seemed to require multiple hits, stirring, and temp stepping.

Maybe it's to do with having sustained heat, and no wasted material and space. If you think how much extra material is in a desktop bowl. Whether TI or glass there is more material soaking up heat, and more unused space in the bowl. Compared to Tempest and TM2 (similarly effective low temp vape) where mass and space is minimised almost to the extreme. Even at low temps, almost all of that heat is being dispersed over the herb.

What's impressive and unexpected about the Tempest is how at low temps it still maintains the required heat capacity to ensure continued extraction at that temp, until the actives corresponding to that temp are extracted. The fear for me was that drawing on the device would lower the heat capacity to a point that it would not sustain the low temp extraction until the end of the bowl.

With regards to the direct flow tube talk. I used it a bunch last night and it isn't for me. Far too much heat and dryness at the throat. Tried on all airflow settings. However, I tried it with low temps and it was lovely. So as always, I'll be switching up my config and settings depending on use. This thing is a swiss army knife.

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
With regards to the direct flow tube talk. I used it a bunch last night and it isn't for me. Far too much heat and dryness at the throat. Tried on all airflow settings. However, I tried it with low temps and it was lovely.
I was enjoying it last, but I think my go to is still going to be the Helix, but I do enjoy small puff or gentle long draws on the direct, I used it mostly with the air port closed.... but then I realized I had partially opened it accidently and as I wasn't using my hands, I didn't realize it for a while, I just noticed it was harder to get the same amount of vapor and I was wondering what I was doing, but the temp was better managed and it was comfortable (for me)...

@RedZep imo you really need to pay attention on the draw speed when going direct...gentle pull.
what he said - beat me again

VapingYogi,
Reactions: RedZep

lluther

Anyone recommendations on best WPA adaptor? I have a 10mm glass reducer that fits the mouthpiece but it's likely to scratch the mouthpiece over time, unless anyone thinks otherwise from experience?

lluther,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Anyone recommendations on best WPA adaptor? I have a 10mm glass reducer that fits the mouthpiece but it's likely to scratch the mouthpiece over time, unless anyone thinks otherwise from experience?
I have been using a un ground reducer on the mouthpiece and its been fine, that being said I prefer a WPA, I have a couple but I prefer the wooden/lined one 14mm I have, with the second being an Ed's TNT wood, he also has glass ones (which I also have)

Last edited:
VapingYogi,

RedZep

@RedZep imo you really need to pay attention on the draw speed when going direct...gentle pull.
Just tried it. Honestly not for me. Too much heat in lungs. Made me cough after also.
I use it with the BB3 stem when using with J-hook. I really like the tiny airport. Can leave it unblocked and it adds just a tiny bit of air.

I would recommend BB6 over it though, as it gives more clearance for wand re-heats.

RedZep,

lluther

Just tried it. Honestly not for me. Too much heat in lungs. Made me cough after also.

I use it with the BB3 stem when using with J-hook. I really like the tiny airport. Can leave it unblocked and it adds just a tiny bit of air.

I would recommend BB6 over it though, as it gives more clearance for wand re-heats.
I've been using it on the dynavap 'b' stem, on a bubbler. It works, but I feel like the draw could be improved with something thats a better fit for WPA use.

lluther,

Singularity Walker

All this talk of setting the Tempest screen at the half-bowl position. I found the best tool is not a Reload Gen 1, not a Reload Gen 2. The best tool I found was the center post on the bottom piece of a large BCG. It is the perfect size for setting the screen. It also works for tamping down the pack on freshly loaded bowl.

Jojofernz

I use a wooden VonG and it is absolutely perfect.

I originally was gonna sell the VonG once the Tempest came in, but now gonna keep the body just for Tempest use and sell the tip.

Jojofernz,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
All this talk of setting the Tempest screen at the half-bowl position. I found the best tool is not a Reload Gen 1, not a Reload Gen 2. The best tool I found was the center post on the bottom piece of a large BCG. It is the perfect size for setting the screen. It also works for tamping down the pack on freshly loaded bowl.
if it turns, up I will try that

VapingYogi,

Cannabiker

You can get an unground (smooth) adapter; Simrell carries them. Personally, I use a Sneaky Pete Strong Arm, but they're out of stock, and the current version is a step-down joint designed for 14 or 18mm--those are kind of chunky. I see that VGoodiez has a Vaphit versrion for a great price, if you don't mind prominent logos. I think this is a much better option than fouling your Tempest stem--you don't need the cooling it provides when you're pulling through water, obviously.

I know the link address says that it's dimpled with a carb, but that doesn't seem to be the case. For this use I prefer smooth glass and no carb. There's a logo-free version at Ritual Colorado for a bit more (well, twice as much--but it wasn't much to start with):

Cannabiker,
Reactions: lluther
Top Bottom