The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Dynavap is basically conduction, but there's a difference between low temperature (more heady) and high temperature (more body) effects. And Tinymight is basically convection and its heady effects always make me smile, but a light roast in the Anvil does the same.
I just wanted to sort of explain what I meant when using the terms discussed above....

I haven't got a heavy body stone from the Tempest yet, its hard to play with the conduction aspect of the Tempest without all the temperature features and its rare that I can achieve that from a conduction only vape (subjective personal experience only).

My first hits of the day with the Tempest are as you describe with the Tiny Might 2, they are heady and make me smile, I can achieve this same thing on different vapes, with different temps and hybrid signatures, the one thing I haven't felt is the excitability I usually associate with convection vapes when using the Tempest.

Its that lack of excitability, while still having a heady/cerebral signature, that I was referring to as grounded and really useful for PSTD and pain.

Jojofernz

A silly topic imo as everyone’s experience is their own experience. It’s great to relate but then it becomes a mess to disagree. I think best to agree to disagree and we all have our experience no matter how different or related they are.

But my opinion, is even with combustion days, I would experience a much different high from normal pipe to a bong to a joint to a blunt to a gravity bong. I don’t see why the same wouldn’t be true in the vape world. I think it’s just apparent that different devices can provide different highs with the same weed.

All this talk though only makes me want to test the tempest more. This wait til arrival will be rough. I almost wanna get away from my phone entirely to find better distractions from thinking about it.

Ann_evans96

A silly topic imo as everyone’s experience is their own experience. It’s great to relate but then it becomes a mess to disagree. I think best to agree to disagree and we all have our experience no matter how different or related they are.

But my opinion, is even with combustion days, I would experience a much different high from normal pipe to a bong to a joint to a blunt to a gravity bong. I don’t see why the same wouldn’t be true in the vape world. I think it’s just apparent that different devices can provide different highs with the same weed.

All this talk though only makes me want to test the tempest more. This wait til arrival will be rough. I almost wanna get away from my phone entirely to find better distractions from thinking about it.
This is it my friend. When it comes to differences in subjective experience? Agree to disagree.

Trying to “disprove” someone’s subjective experience is a foolish endeavour. Not everything you disagree with needs to become a debate or construed as a critique of your own experience. It’s tiring to be like that.

Finally back on topic, did you manage to snag one? MH offered me an opportunity to get one, but I’ve decided to wait till the next drop as I also want a reload and some other things

Jojofernz

This is it my friend. When it comes to differences in subjective experience? Agree to disagree.

Trying to “disprove” someone’s subjective experience is a foolish endeavour. Not everything you disagree with needs to become a debate or construed as a critique of your own experience. It’s tiring to be like that.

Finally back on topic, did you manage to snag one? MH offered me an opportunity to get one, but I’ve decided to wait till the next drop as I also want a reload and some other things
I did manage to get one, I was waiting on the timer haha! So glad I did, also picked up a factory seconds reload gen 2, only have a gen 1 so glad I’ll have 2!

I think this was the last drop before full release though?

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
So, I ended up having to work during drop time so I missed my opportunity to compete for one. It's too bad, but not a big thing. Better than getting in the Gladiator queue and not succeeding, I guess. I will get it when it is released. I will probably cut back on my reading of this thread just to keep my lust level in check. I have plenty of other vapes to keep me entertained. And buzzed... ;)

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Will there be an official titanium WPA in 18mm? Would be nice!

Are there any other options atm, besides BB6 that's 10/14mm? Wooden WPA would also be nice.

BushRanger,

grognard3r

I have a question about the following bullet point:

• Bowl screen is low quality, hard to use in half bowl setting

This is from https://madheaters.co.uk/products/tempest-titanium-kit page in the red box, the pre-release info.

Can you use a Dynavap screen (or any that are same in size) to replace the "low quality" one that comes with the kit? My general MO for vaping in my Revolves is half a bowl. That preserves taste imo.

I generally do not like Dynavap screens a much prefer mesh from a place like DDave Mods (like https://www.ddavemods.com/store/p86/VapCap_Mesh_Screen_Replacements.html ).

I eagerly await my Tempest but would like to try and get a better screen so that when the Mad Magic arrives, I can use half bowl settings.

grognard3r,
Reactions: chanceus

Cannabiker

I've had my Tempest for over a week now without having much to say; I feel like a kid who failed to turn in a book report. I guess after weeks of following this thread, especially @VapingYogi's questions and @RedZep's answers, I don't have anything to add.

I can sum up my feelings about the Tempest this way: when @Brenyo posted a surprise mini-drop a few days ago, I had one in my cart. I decided that was just a little too greedy, so I released it, but I'm sure I'll have another someday, just so I always have a clean Tempest ready to go.

I am looking forward to having well-calibrated clickers so I can use the Tempest in situations when I don't want to turn up the lights and get out my glasses, but the visual indicator seems perfectly calibrated on my unit. Using the timer on the Wand also produces repeatable results. It's awesome to have so many ways to gauge doneness.

I'm really psyched I got in early, especially because mine is a unique color--I don't think it's one of the final line-up. It's also two-toned, with blue deep in the heat grooves and green everywhere else. When Brenyo offered me the color choice, he just described it as "blue-green", so I assumed it would be straight aqua. The multi-tone effect is striking, as it shifts with perspective. When I get another, I may get raw ti so I can have it custom anodized (though a wood stem is appealing for both aesthetics and heat dissipation).

I'll try to stay engaged in the conversation, and not just lurk in the corner with my Tempest, but for now I'll leave you with this:

53342814590_b859ff1168_c_d.jpg

Last edited:

RedZep

I've had my Tempest for over a week now without having much to say; I feel like a kid who failed to turn in a book report. I guess after weeks of following this thread, especially @VapingYogi's questions and @RedZep's answers, I don't have anything to add.

I can sum up my feelings about the Tempest this way: when @Brenyo posted a surprise mini-drop a few days ago, I had one in my cart. I decided that was just a little too greedy, so I released it, but I'm sure I'll have another someday, just so I always have a clean Tempest ready to go.

I am looking forward to having well-calibrated clickers so I can use the Tempest in situations when I don't want to turn up the lights and get out my glasses, but the visual indicator seems perfectly calibrated on my unit. Using the timer on the Wand also produces repeatable results. It's awesome to have so many ways to gauge doneness.

I'm really psyched I got in early, especially because mine is a unique color--I don't think it's one of the final line-up. It's also two-toned, with blue deep in the heat grooves and green everywhere else. When Brenyo offered me the color choice, he just described it as "blue-green", so I assumed it would be straight aqua. The multi-tone effect is striking, as shifts with perspective. When I get another, I may get raw ti so I can have it custom anodized (though a wood stem is appealing for both aesthetics and heat dissipation).

I'll try to stay engaged in the conversation, and not just lurk in the corner with my Tempest, but for now I'll leave you with this:

eric cartman chef GIF by South Park

Timps27

Feel like I’m winnin’ when I’m losin’ again
I eagerly await my Tempest but would like to try and get a better screen so that when the Mad Magic arrives, I can use half bowl settings

I don't think the included screens are bad at all, and the first time I swapped one out the new one I was fitting popped right in to the half setting. I ended up moving it back to the full setting, but it was working fine in the half setting. I think it's just Brenyo heading off any potential imperfections by stating it is not the final bowl screeen.

HaggisHunter

I managed to snag one yesterday, really pleased about that, never felt so positive about buying a new device if I'm honest.
As others are saying, this is going to be the longest wait for the mail, Haha
I think I might anodise it too before I start using it.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Will there be an official titanium WPA in 18mm? Would be nice!
Eventually, it’s planned. Probably not before the end of next year.
Can you use a Dynavap screen (or any that are same in size) to replace the "low quality" one that comes with the kit? My general MO for vaping in my Revolves is half a bowl. That preserves taste imo.
You can’t use the DV screens. It works is half bowl if you don’t go too crazy on the screen when debowling.

Short time lurker here and first post. I found the Tempest (and this thread) a week ago and have been following this thread ever since.

I'm absolutely over the moon that I managed to snatch one yesterday (18th). I have an DV M+ so it will be interesting to see how the Tempest is in comparison.

Galaktus

Feels like everyone in this thread has a Tempest now, not bitter I promise :lol:. Glad to see so many early users following RedZep and giving more great information and demostration.

Almost kicking myself for not going for an early unit but I know how that would have gone.

I've had both generations of the Revolve and have tried a lot of the configurations but I always come back to it just fully closed, with the helix unit in the mouthpiece. Any of you lucky lot with the Tempest tried that? If not could someone sacrifice a bowl and tell me what the cooling/flavour is like? There's an order of magnitude of heat with between the Ti tip I'm using with my Revolve and what the Tempest will be pumping out, I'm sure it will keep up enough for me but I don't think I've seen anyone try it and I spend so much time in this thread it's unreal.

Galaktus,

Singularity Walker

I was tempted when that mini-drop with the colored ones occurred just because those will be one of a kind colors but could not bring myself to even visit the site during the drop as I felt others (congrats) should get to experience how awesome the Tempest is.
For now I just grabbed a Green Maple Revolve stem. I'm already liking it with the Blue Maple stem but eventually that needs to get paired back to the Revolve with the Blurple tip.

grognard3r

Once we manually calibrate the heat disks, will we be able to hear the click(s)? I hope this question does not come across as idiotic. I've tried to find an answer by going back through this thread. Maybe I overlooked something. If so, my bad.

The pre-release info (red box) states (from https://madheaters.co.uk/products/tempest-titanium-kit ):

• Click is not calibrated

Further down in that same box, the following is stated:

"In order to install the calibrated click discs you'll have to take apart the indicator within the cap and follow this installation video to assemble it. (I'm planning to make a better video before release)"

Once we follow that video instruction, I know we will be able to SEE the visual indicator, but I am curious if this ALSO means the CLICK will be audible. I sure hope both. I will make the Tempest work one way or the other, but my curiosity is just eating me up.

One more small request to Mad: in the instillation video, it shows the entire process with the tip already dis-assembled. Will the tip be dis-assembled when we receive our Tempests (ordered on the 18th)? If not already dis-assembled, will there be a "how-to take apart the tip" tutorial of some sort? Taking something apart as delicate as one of the Tempest tips can be just as hard as putting it back.

Thanks again, Mad. I eagerly await the vape! I don't recall being this excited in a long time.

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Once we follow that video instruction, I know we will be able to SEE the visual indicator, but I am curious if this ALSO means the CLICK will be audible. I sure hope both.
Both just like on this video, but the clicks would happen a bit later.

will there be a "how-to take apart the tip" tutorial of some sort?
Yes, I'll make a longer video where I take it apart and put it back together. It will arrive assembled.

Wylie

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Well done to those who went for it this weekend and secured themselves a Tempest. Some anxiety eased for a few I am sure. Fun times ahead!
Personally, while I will certainly be ordering myself one at full release I am not in a hurry. Plus I will get the benefit of the collective wisdom from reading all your tips and tricks about getting maximum pleasure from this great looking vape.

Smile always!

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.

I'm really psyched I got in early, especially because mine is a unique color--I don't think it's one of the final line-up. It's also two-toned, with blue deep in the heat grooves and green everywhere else. When Brenyo offered me the color choice, he just described it as "blue-green", so I assumed it would be straight aqua. The multi-tone effect is striking, as it shifts with perspective. When I get another, I may get raw ti so I can have it custom anodized (though a wood stem is appealing for both aesthetics and heat dissipation).

Ok - I officially talk to much :(

annnnd here I go again :)

I’ve been playing around with the Tempest for a while but I wanted to “science” a few things like, how much of a hybrid is the Tempest, we know it’s convection dominant but how much conduction and radiant heat’s is passed from the cap, which really does retain heat for a very long time, as someone said there is a chance for people to accidentally get burnt and some of my cooling magnets have had the glue that holds them in place melt because of the Tempest.

Regardless, to the science….

One old and simple way of seeing how much conduction and or radiant heat is part of a vaporizers system is to put the herbs into the oven, run a heat cycle, let it cool, and look at the changes to the herbs.

A convection only system, there should be no change to the herb colour after a heat cycle if no air is pulled through the system.

If there is conduction or radiant heat then there should be some change to the herbs, slight browning.

If it’s heavily conduction dominant then the herb should be changed, brown and spent even though no air was pulled through the system.

For comparison I used my Anvil and did the same thing. I heated it using the method I always do. For the Anvil I wait for the second cool down click to empty it, for the Tempest I just waited for both the uncalibrated visual indicator to go all the way down but also I waited until I could undo it with my fingers.

Here’s the results :

The Tempest has some, but very little, radiant heat or conduction.

The Anvil has some significant radiant heat and or conduction (using the 0.1 normal bowl)

** Pictures or it didn’t happen ** (as the kids say)

Last edited:

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
Oh, goodness no, I hope that wasn't my message. Your inquiries have been so thorough that I haven't needed to make any of my own, and you've kept the conversation moving with positive enthusiasm.
if you look now mate I updated the post with a lot of more stuff - I talk to much :p and that's what I do - talk about thing's when I am enthusiastic about something... which doesn't happen as often as I wish it would. Regardless I was playing and I actually really apricated your feedback..

now back to my next experiment

Last edited:
VapingYogi,
Reactions: Zagala

PeePhlegm

if you look now mate I updated the post with a lot of more stuff - I talk to much :p
When you were heating the tempest was it orientated so that the bowl was above the balls like the typical way to use the wand? Wonder would it be different if you heated it balls above bowl?

PeePhlegm,
Top Bottom