The Sports Thread

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Was just reading over the hockey v cricket posts from the previous page and I must say that it's perfectly possible to like both! They're pretty much polar opposites but they each clearly have their own merits. Cricket is much more similar to baseball, in that the fans are often stat-happy and don't mind sitting and watching a very long game!

I won't go on about why I love cricket because Wat already did a pretty good job (will add that you probably
have to be brought up with it to really 'get' it though) but I will say that, being rather balance-challenged myself, I have always marvelled at the grace and ability of ice hockey players to do what they do, on ice! Can see the sense in JD's points about fights in some ways making the sport safer too.

Now the sport I will ramble on about is football! Real football I mean - that is the sport where you actually use your feet to kick the ball more than 4 times a game!
Not meaning to insult American Football fans because I actually quite like it ever since I was in NYC for that Giants superbowl win a few years back - but I've always made fun of the fact that there's 3 teams on each team, and they play for about 10 seconds each before you have a commercial break! Watching American sports sometimes makes you wonder if they had commercials in mind when they were making up the rules!

Footballers over here play 45 minutes solid, then have a 15 minute break before playing another 45 minutes. All their manager can do is shout from the sidelines and trust in his set-up. Of course you can make fun at how pussy some footballers are these days though - trust me I hate all the diving and faking more than anyone - but every sport has its downsides.

I'm an extremely passionate Crystal Palace FC fan as I'm originally from near south-east London - you're supposed to support your local team in the UK - no matter how shit they are!

Recently we played Manchester United (who even if you've never seen a game in your life you must have heard of) in the League Cup (where teams from lower leagues compete with those in the Premiership) at their ground, and we fucking well beat them! I cannot stress just how incredible (or unlikely!) this was, and how amazing it was to be at the game myself! One of the best nights of my entire life.

Made even better by having probably the best goal I will ever see scored by one of ours. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E20IjFPmo_s
(Vid is a bit skippy but the TV company keeps taking the vids down so you have to make do - it is a fucking brilliant goal)

I know Americans make fun of the fact that you can play for 90 minutes and still not see a goal, or have a winner. But that's because fans don't need non-stop scoring to keep them entertained - I have been to see almost every major sport live (including baseball, NFL football, and NBA at MSG) and can say without doubt that football fans are the best in the world for their passion, singing and atmosphere.

Plus only scoring once or twice a match means that when a goal does go in you go fucking crazy because it's a rare event - especially one like in the video above! He banged it in from 40 bloody yards for christ sake! I will literally be telling my grandchildren about that goal one day.

Anyway apologies for the long-winded post but I just really wanted to show off that we beat Manchester Utd - who I have hated with a burning fury since I was tiny, mainly for all their glory-hunting fans that live on the other end of the country to the team and have been to like 2 games in their lives.

As I said at the start - it's possible to love all sports. I like snooker - I also like UFC. To me they're just two sides of the same lovely sporting coin.

:2c:

wilf789,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
Well, all I have to say at this point is, GO DUCKS!!! :argh:

NIKE-Oregon-Ducks-Rose-Bowl-Uniforms-33.png

First images of the NIKE Oregon Ducks Rose Bowl Uniforms 2012

t-dub

t-dub,

treecityrnd

Best Rose Bowl ever t-dubs. That Orange Bowl was something else! Can't wait for W. Virginia to be in the Big12 next year. Actually, this week has had some great games (and really bad field goal kickers).

Anyone actually watching the BCS Champ "Return of the Field Goals" game?

BIG weekend for the Lions. They should be happy to be there...but I think Stanford and Megatron want more. Should be interesting since its in a dome.

treecityrnd,

t-dub

Vapor Sloth
I think the gloves are my favorite part of the uniform. We love our Uncle Phil, he and his company (Nike) help make some pretty cool things happen. What I love about college football is watching the development of the kids into adults. These programs build character, teach valuable life lessons, and help mold future leaders. The kids leave it all on the field, every time they play. Chip Kelly has taught me this:

The goal is to compete. Victory is a luxury afforded by proper preparation. If I beat you, you didn't train hard enough. Its that simple.

When LaMichael James trained growing up in Texas he would drag tires, using chains, up hills.

t-dub

t-dub,

treecityrnd

Ok FC, its SuperBowl time! I realize most outside of the NE could care less about this game...er,rematch, but its still the biggest sporting event in the US.

Pats in a landslide. They are still pissed from 2008. Belecheck won't lose this same game twice. He's too good of a cheater...er, coach.

treecityrnd,

GO!!bot

No way, not with the way that Giants front is playing
pats might win, but it WILL be close and exciting

GO!!bot,

Stone__Man

well not sure about a landslide as you put it for either team. I think the game is gonna be one of the best super bowls ever and who ever scores last is gonna win. turn overs will be key and I foresee both teams with at least one turn over.

the NFL days of "3 yards and a cloud of dust" are long gone. the NFL is a passing league.

we have two skilled quarterbacks that can produce the last minute come back win.

I'm very excited about it to be honest and I'm not a fan of either team, very much looking forward to it. the last thing I wanna see is an ass whoopin' by either team, those games are BORING, well not for the fans of the team that's doing the whoopin' lol

@tree funny avatar lol made me smile as my mind started to recite words lol

Stone__Man,

treecityrnd

27-14, Pats. Don't like the choice (or choices for that matter), but that's what my statistical brain is telling me...

treecityrnd,

GO!!bot

I'm hoping the Giants can pull it off somehow, but I do have a bad feeling

GO!!bot,

treecityrnd

Stone__Man said:
funny avatar
Ditto. I've gotten many a Rhesus monkey "stoned".
Stone__Man said:
my mind started to recite words
Better than Ice, Ice Baby, which has been stuck in my head all day. Someone was playing this morning and I am still repeating, "Stop, collaborate and listen..."

treecityrnd,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
Worst fucking season ever. Cutler broke his thumb, I was dry for AFC/NFC Championship weekend, and now I have to piss at the end of the week, so my first non-green Super Bowl in a long, long, time.

That said, it should be a great game. Both teams definitely deserve to be there. I'm betting the Giants put the Pats secondary to the test very early on. 1st or 2nd drive, Eli will go loooooong.

Both QBs have chips on their shoulder and something to prove, so I'm excited.

Magic9,

Ymir

wilf789 said:
Was just reading over the hockey v cricket posts from the previous page and I must say that it's perfectly possible to like both! They're pretty much polar opposites but they each clearly have their own merits. Cricket is much more similar to baseball, in that the fans are often stat-happy and don't mind sitting and watching a very long game!

I won't go on about why I love cricket because Wat already did a pretty good job (will add that you probably
have to be brought up with it to really 'get' it though) but I will say that, being rather balance-challenged myself, I have always marvelled at the grace and ability of ice hockey players to do what they do, on ice! Can see the sense in JD's points about fights in some ways making the sport safer too.

Now the sport I will ramble on about is football! Real football I mean - that is the sport where you actually use your feet to kick the ball more than 4 times a game!
Not meaning to insult American Football fans because I actually quite like it ever since I was in NYC for that Giants superbowl win a few years back - but I've always made fun of the fact that there's 3 teams on each team, and they play for about 10 seconds each before you have a commercial break! Watching American sports sometimes makes you wonder if they had commercials in mind when they were making up the rules!

Footballers over here play 45 minutes solid, then have a 15 minute break before playing another 45 minutes. All their manager can do is shout from the sidelines and trust in his set-up. Of course you can make fun at how pussy some footballers are these days though - trust me I hate all the diving and faking mo
re than anyone - but every sport has its downsides.

I'm an extremely passionate Crystal Palace FC fan as I'm originally from near south-east London - you're supposed to support your local team in the UK - no matter how shit they are!

Recently we played Manchester United (who even if you've never seen a game in your life you must have heard of) in the League Cup (where teams from lower leagues compete with those in the Premiership) at their ground, and we fucking well beat them! I cannot stress just how incredible (or unlikely!) this was, and how amazing it was to be at the game myself! One of the best nights of my entire life.

Made even better by having probably the best goal I will ever see scored by one of ours. See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E20IjFPmo_s
(Vid is a bit skippy but the TV company keeps taking the vids down so you have to make do - it is a fucking brilliant goal)

I know Americans make fun of the fact that you can play for 90 minutes and still not see a goal, or have a winner. But that's because fans don't need non-stop scoring to keep them entertained - I have been to see almost every major sport live (including baseball, NFL football, and NBA at MSG) and can say without doubt that football fans are the best in the world for their passion, singing and atmosphere.

Plus only scoring once or twice a match means that when a goal does go in you go fucking crazy because it's a rare event - especially one like in the video above! He banged it in from 40 bloody yards for christ sake! I will literally be telling my grandchildren about that goal one day.

Anyway apologies for the long-winded post but I just really wanted to show off that we beat Manchester Utd - who I have hated with a burning fury since I was tiny, mainly for all their glory-hunting fans that live on the other end of the country to the team and have been to like 2 games in their lives.

As I said at the start - it's possible to love all sports. I like snooker - I also like UFC. To me they're just two sides of the same lovely sporting coin.

:2c:

I have to say as a Canadian I've never been a huge footy fan, I tried giving the MLS league (and bought seasons tickets for Toronto FC) but just couldn't get behind our team. The few times I went to see TFC, the fans were too focused on their chants than the friggin match....the rowdy bunch (fan zone) would chant regardless of play or scoring position. I mean, chant away no problem, but if your team is pressing for a goal, pay them some mind and cheer the score attempt. Stupid cunts.
That said, this year I decided to pay close attention to the premiership and pick a team to support. I did my research of the potential top 6 contenders. My wife is Liverpool, her brother is Man Utd. After considerable time reading about various club history, I decided to support Hotspurs and have done the best to immerse myself into the sport and the team.
I have to say that I have taken to the sport without delay and absolutely love the game, the pace, the pass, the ball control, simply awesome.

Ive always been an NFL fan, but this year I'm finding that I'm more selective on what NFL I'll watch and won't take that over a choice to watch the premiership.

Another thing I've tried to watch this year is rugby and Aussie rules football, which has an even tougher pace than soccer. The best part.........the game plays on during most player injuries! The doctor come on the field and the play goes on...... Love it. Any sport that the players use electrical tape as protective equipment, is cool in my books!

hereatlast

Long-time Pats fan here, looking forward tomorrow. Hope to see Gronkowski come back strong but we'll see. Its hard to imagine this game without a Gronk/Welker TD in my book. If Brady has time to pass throughout it's smooth sailing; definitely gotta watch out for big yardage Giants plays as well.

hereatlast,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Ymir said:
I have to say as a Canadian I've never been a huge footy fan, I tried giving the MLS league (and bought seasons tickets for Toronto FC) but just couldn't get behind our team. The few times I went to see TFC, the fans were too focused on their chants than the friggin match....the rowdy bunch (fan zone) would chant regardless of play or scoring position. I mean, chant away no problem, but if your team is pressing for a goal, pay them some mind and cheer the score attempt. Stupid cunts.
That said, this year I decided to pay close attention to the premiership and pick a team to support. I did my research of the potential top 6 contenders. My wife is Liverpool, her brother is Man Utd. After considerable time reading about various club history, I decided to support Hotspurs and have done the best to immerse myself into the sport and the team.
I have to say that I have taken to the sport without delay and absolutely love the game, the pace, the pass, the ball control, simply awesome.

Ive always been an NFL fan, but this year I'm finding that I'm more selective on what NFL I'll watch and won't take that over a choice to watch the premiership.

Yeah mate watching the MLS is not a good advert for the sport at all. We have NFL Europe over here and it's just the same - you're watching and you can tell the players are still skilled athletes etc. but it's just not the same as the real thing played in the right country.

I'm ever so glad you didn't decide to support Man Utd! You also picked a brilliant time to start supporting Spurs as they're having one of their best ever seasons this year! That is if their manager doesn't end up going to jail for tax fraud...

Regarding tomorrow's Superbowl: I was in NYC when they beat the Pats a few years back and the atmosphere in the city after they won was fantastic!
Both me and my betting account are hoping they can do it again this year, although as someone mentioned I'm sure the Pats will be out for revenge this time around.

wilf789,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
"Defense wins championships"

Giants D is naaaasty, Pats D is garbage

Pats O is naaasty, Giants O is pretty good

JD's Prediction: Giants-34 Pats-27, with 2 of NY's TD's coming on defense

Being a die hard Steelers fan, I want nothing more than to see Brady lose :)

JDSupreme,

Ripbongs420

vapiff
Giants d has a good line, their back field ain't shit. That's where it is going to count. Ravens D was much better. And the Pats D may be very bad, but they have been doing better. We are coming with avengence. I say 38-20 Pats.

Sorry your a steelers fan JD. Ouch. ;)

Ripbongs420,

MarcellusWiley

Dab Trotter
Hey guys sorry to burst your bubble but the patriots have the 31st ranked defense in the league.

the giants have the 27th ranked defense in the league.

both have gotten better as the season rolls.

don't expect this to be a blowout in any way.

the giants have given up MASSIVE amounts of points this season, like Rip said. check their backfield.

I'm not cocky as a pats fan because of this but just want people to realize haha. Giants D isnt ranked #1 like the steelers or something. In fact all the GREAT DEFENSES lost this year to even better Offenses.

Year of the quarterback !! (its almost an espn conspiracy at this point)

MarcellusWiley,
Top Bottom