Discontinued The Splinter by RBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising
@Other Side , wtf man !?!?! Get over it!! If referring to me being a troll , nobody sent me, I'm a hairy fucking 30's guy with a beard who can talk and have a opinion of my own! If referring to @Alan or @Bravesst in regards to ripping off ideas or whatever , why do you take it with them through PM or let Ryan and them deal with it on their own. We dont see any of those 3 guys making accusations but you ! I took your bullshit (laughed off) on Vapelife forum when you bashed me and accused Mike of stuff, but I don't need to take it here... you are just making yourself and RBT look bad in the process !

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Hey there Fat Freddy. Maybe you missed the piece where I stated he was moving. If you look back again you will see it. So with that he will be taking some time to get his affairs in order and set up his production lines in his new spot. So no he will not be producing everyday like your scenario states.

As for QC. Well you see this is an original design just like the rest of RBT's offerings. He is not blatently ripping off ideas, technology, breaking agreements with others, sending trolls (best customers) out to do his dirty work, taking parts he didn't pay for nor sucking knowledge out of other people in the interest of serving himself.

Maybe you are not accustomed to new product launches but many times the first batch of products have bugs. Ryan has already identified a few issues that didn't come up in the beta testing. So yeah now he will be working to address those things and deliver the build quality that matches the vapor quality of his products.

:rofl: Your handle isn't 'other side' for nothing, I guess!

I think maybe you've misunderstood the tone of my post. The questions were asked in complete earnestness. Five to six units per day seems quite ambitious! That's why I asked about the QC given the time alloted.

Andreaerdna

If God is the answer, then the question is wrong
Well you see this is an original design just like the rest of RBT's offerings. He is not blatently ripping off ideas, technology, breaking agreements with others, sending trolls (best customers) out to do his dirty work, taking parts he didn't pay for nor sucking knowledge out of other people in the interest of serving himself.

Do you call out yourself here? are you The best customer doing dirt work? Looks like

As for original design not ripping anyone technology look at firevape. They used wayyyyy before rbt a mesh screen as convection on demand heater ... soo, what again?
Edit: flashvape http://www.planetvape.ca/flashvape-stage-2-kit.html

Last edited:

MAbud

@Other Side , wtf man !?!?! Get over it!! If referring to me being a troll , nobody sent me, I'm a hairy fucking 30's guy with a beard who can talk and have a opinion of my own! If referring to @Alan or @Bravesst in regards to ripping off ideas or whatever , why do you take it with them through PM or let Ryan and them deal with it on their own. We dont see any of those 3 guys making accusations but you ! I took your bullshit (laughed off) on Vapelife forum when you bashed me and accused Mike of stuff, but I don't need to take it here... you are just making yourself and RBT look bad in the process !

You seem pretty paranoid. Guilty conscience?? I didn’t see @Other Side say anything about you

P.A.M.

Vapo Rising

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer

Get over what? Just speaking the truth.

But since you are here I should mention that it appears you are commenting without all the information you need to have an informed opinion. How do you know that no action has taken place? And Ryans silence on the subject isn't for a reason? And who says it's just Ryan? I have many friends in this industry and some of the stories might surprise you and which people need to know.

Beyond that your post history speaks for itself so I'll just leave it at that.

:rofl: Your handle isn't 'other side' for nothing, I guess!

I think maybe you've misunderstood the tone of my post. The questions were asked in complete earnestness. Five to six units per day seems quite ambitious! That's why I asked about the QC given the time alloted.

Lol you ain't lying about the handle. It really has a lot of meanings (which many close members to me here know) but I do have a low tolerance for bullshit so yes the other side comes out from time to time. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a fucking asshole sometimes but I stand up for what I believe in and try to live my life in an honorable way which is more than I can say for some.

As far as the numbers Ryan can produce, his focus is setting up a Lean (speed) Six Sigma (quality) production environment to improve both the build quality and throughput. He is getting help with fabrication on some of the parts and will implement changes based on feedback and years of trial and error. Time will tell on how many can be produced in a given time but I do know his priority will be quality over speed.

Honestly can we just talk about the vape in the thread instead of not so subtly attacking other vape makers?

These accusations are tiring. I thought we were here to talk about vapes.

Yes this absolutely works both ways. And again the history speaks for itself.

And these are not accusations. This is truth and there are so many clues out in the open much less what you all don't know behind the scenes.

I have also kept my comments on the appropriate threads. I haven't made it a habit to put unnecessary negative remarks on threads for vaporizers I have no intention of purchasing.

Do you call out yourself here? are you The best customer doing dirt work? Looks like

As for original design not ripping anyone technology look at firevape. They used wayyyyy before rbt a mesh screen as convection on demand heater ... soo, what again?
Edit: flashvape

Ha! Funny you should show up! I would encourage folks to examine your post history as well. Especially a while back. To this day I still don't exactly understand what Ryan ever did to you for you to have such harsh feelings toward him. I am pretty confident in telling you that I believe if you spent time getting to know know Ryan a little bit you might feel differently. I know that will never happen, but my point is that there is more to story and more to the Vape Nazi who was in a very dark place not that long ago.

Who I am is a man standing up for a friend. Someone like me, who can be a bit of an asshole himself. Ryan is far from perfect. He has blown up, said some dickish things to people, made some really bad decisions and taken way longer on things than he should have. But again, I know there is more to the story. I know of a friend watching his world implode and I'm not talking about his vaporizer company. I know of the financial struggle to keep RBT going given his personal situation. I know a very generous man who does really care about his customers and his products despite what his critics may believe. I know of a creative man who sometimes can't help himself and that's not always a good thing.

As for the Flashvape. Ah yes, I own one of those. Never could get the hang of it. You think RBT products are a rip off of the Flashvape? Let's see....

The FV is conduction not convection. So that is different. Not sure if you knew that but I suspect you might not.

The FV is aluminum not wood. So that's different too.

If you are talking about the button you should know that yes that is the same button on the RBT units. You know how that came about? I do. It was a reccomendation from Pak since he is familiar the Flashvape and helped Ryan source a button that could stand up to years of firing.

And are you really trying to say that the FV has more similarly to ANY RBT product than your beloved MiLog, oops I mean I heat, or that other one that looks strikingly like the Milaana. And where did those original buttons come from on that one? :hmm:

Yes I agree. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.......

Let's talk Splinter.

And I also have resisted the urge to use that second emoji myself on a few other threads.

Last edited:

little maggie

OtherSide: Your post is ironic for someone who owns a stickybrick which is an uncredited clone As for standing up for a friend- Ryan is great about supporting those developing new products including those based on his work. It's one of the things I appreciate about Ryan and Ed and Alan.
I don't understand what this is all about.
Originally Alan and Ryan were working together on what has ended up being the splinter and iheat. The splinter, even the early version I have, is great.

Other Side

Retailer
Retailer
OtherSide: Your post is ironic for someone who owns a stickybrick which is an uncredited clone As for standing up for a friend- Ryan is great about supporting those developing new products including those based on his work. It's one of the things I appreciate about Ryan and Ed and Alan.
I don't understand what this is all about.
Originally Alan and Ryan were working together on what has ended up being the splinter and iheat. The splinter, even the early version I have, is great.

Yes I own the Daisy. As well as the rest of the Triihouse collection. I also own the whole SBL collection with the exception of the OG brick which of course is bit redundant with the Daisy.

I am also familiar with the story including details I don't believe you have been made privy to. Including the fact that Tommy and Kenny ultimately squashed any issue there may have been.

You are right, @Alan and @RastaBuddhaTao did set up an agreement to work together AFTER the Splinter had already been created. Alan was to create the power supply for the Mi Log (remember that). Instead came the I heat. There are a lot of details that I know of (I have tons of emails) but I'm interested to hear what @Alan thinks about how all this came about. About the ideas and similarities between the his product and Ryan's. About the coil design the vape guru designed. About the material his coil is made of and how that was selected. About the shape and any similarities to Ryans work. About the reaction from Ryan when he kept going down this road. Yes he was a dick I'm sure. But the reason why is what's relavent here.

You see this isn't about vapes that look like other vapes. Logs are the best example of similar products. There are many others too especially in the butane world. Some of the most supported Chinese products have striking similarities to other popular brands.

This also isn't about RBT design secrets. Refernce RBT's open source thread and you'll see he's not all that worried about people getting under the hood. Ryan has no issue with the similarities of @Dan Morrison 's Nomad or @mistvaporizer 's MVT. Both 18650 driven unregulated glass stem units with similar form factors.

This is about how all this stuff went down. And discussions that happened between Ryan and @Alan / @Bravesst .

And now that it's out in the open I'd like to hear their side of it but out here for everyone else to know.

And yeah Maggie the Splinter is great, I agree!

Last edited:

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
This thread is about the Splinter, not about the history and drama that goes along with it, so let's please keep the discussion about the product and not the past. We will not tolerate accusations and assertions toward other members and we most certainly will not tolerate implications of trolling. If you feel that a post violates the rules, then report it and do not engage further in any off-topic discussion.
This is about how all this stuff went down. And discussions that happened between Ryan and @Alan / @Bravesst .

And now that it's out in the open I'd like to hear their side of it but out here for everyone else to know.
I happen to know Alan's side of the story, and while I will not go into it here (it's OT as hell for this thread) let's just say that there are two sides to every story. Having said that, if you want to discuss this sordid history with other members, do it via PM. It does not belong in the Splinter thread.

I've not handed out any warning points for this derail yet (even though some posts are worthy IMO), but rest assured that I have no problem giving points out to those who wish to continue publicly discussing this drama going forward.

Thank you for your cooperation.

:peace:

Summer

Long Island, NY
@AJS, great vid! Informative ... & personable. I enjoyed it. You must have really been wasted if you saw aliens. :lol: Thanks for posting!

BTW, where do you park @ night that you can be so relaxed & not lookin' over your shoulder. I'd like to park there myself. :D

Last edited:

little maggie

Love the video. Aliens huh? Do you have a working cruise control on your splinter? Mine says "cruise control" when I push the button but as far as I can tell it just means that I'm pushing the button. The splinter stops when I let go of the button.

AJS

Calm Consistency
@AJS, great vid! Informative ... & personable. I enjoyed it. You must have really been wasted if you saw aliens. :lol: Thanks for posting!

BTW, where do you park @ night that you can be so relaxed & not lookin' over your shoulder. I'd like to park there myself. :D
Thanks a lot! I appreciate it :)
My friend said the Splinter looked like a ray gun and I may have gotten ahead of myself. Also I'm parked in my driveway at 12:30 am. Safe and sound :)

Love the video. Aliens huh? Do you have a working cruise control on your splinter? Mine says "cruise control" when I push the button but as far as I can tell it just means that I'm pushing the button. The splinter stops when I let go of the button.
Thanks a lot for the kind words :)
I have working cruise mode. Mine is double tap the fire button. Some people it's triple tap. When I press once it says "cruise" but it's not actually cruise. It just stop when I let go. If I double tap it stays on.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
No cruise mode on mine. I'm going to have to look again at your video with the splinter settings.

You have a Cruise mode. In the Vaping menu, the Prot. setting determines the timeout for it. What the firmware is actually doing is hi-jacking the long fire protection timeout and progress bar. The firmware for most box mods sets this to 10 seconds (remember they're mostly used for e-juice atomizers) and they don't provide a way to change it. One of the advantages of the Tubo firmware is that you can change this setting. I have mine set to 20 seconds. When Cruise is engaged, the firmware behaves as though I'm holding the button down for this length of time. I can interrupt it with a click or let it time out.

If you are in TCR mode and you double-click (assuming that you haven't changed the default), you're in Cruise mode. If you are using Power mode and double-click, you still get Cruise mode in the sense that the firmware simulates holding down the button. It's not doing temperature control, however, it's just sending the wattage you've set to the heater until it times out. If you simply hold down the button in Power mode, the bar still pops up and says Cruise, but what it's actually doing is showing the progress towards the long fire protection timeout. The difference here is that once it times out, the mod displays "long fire protection" and you'll have to click once to make that disappear.

The Splinter (and I assume the Tubo) won't be harmed by a longer timeout. I've had mine up to 60 seconds for test purposes.

Vapsinthe

Absintheur Vaporiste
Hey fellow FCers! I've been procrastinating doing this post out of sheer laziness, and because I knew it would probably be long. I ordered the RBT Splinter last July, I think after seeing @Vape Dr. and @IAmKrazy2's videos, the whole 10% discount thing was too good to pass up. I was #27 on the pre-order list and got my Splinter (v1793) three weeks ago today. The hand written note from Ryan gave me an appreciation for the level of care and craftsmanship that went into this.

I researched box mods quite a bit after ordering but nevertheless have a slight regret about the one I ordered after having seen the performance of mods that use the @funkyjunky firmware as demonstrated by @AJS or after finding out about the Vapeman Steam Engine DNA75 mod. I ordered the the Wismec Predator 228, which I have since upgraded with Arcticfox firmware. I also got 3 pairs of 18650 batteries from Illumn; LG HG2s, Samsung 30Qs and Sony VTC6s. So far, and without any formal measurements, I feel as though I get more juice out of the VTC6s.
fUDlnlc.jpg

(Yes, that's a fidget spinner heat sink...)

I also ordered some stems from @cannabis.pro; the green 2short1long stem bundle as well as a 14mm GonG and some screens. Quick delivery to Canada and great customer service! The long emerald green stem is great for lounging at home, but a bit long to be portable.
QMvU5Ij.jpg

My daily driver's been the 14mm GonG, which I find serves as a more comfortable mouthpiece than the standard Splinter stem, but can then be equipped further as the bowl progresses and the temperature rises.
8hV059b.jpg

Got a few of these on DHgate to serve as a dry or wet vapor cooler, which I believe @DDave once offered with an RBT compatible male joint. Also got a few 14mm hydratubes à la sunshinestore, but even cheaper and with fewer slits... I've used better 14mm hydratubes, but these were like, 8$ a piece:
eKtWWmx.jpg

My go to however isn't very original, the good old, reliable FC-188:
fEuiwyH.jpg

I've had no problems using the Splinter in TCR mode, even before upgrading to the Arcticfox firmware. I had no problems in wattage mode either but Temp Control just heats up quicker and keeps up with my draw rate no matter what. On the standard Wismec firmware, I was using TCR 185 with the coil resistance locked at 0.24Ohm and max wattage of 66.6W, because I'll never completely stop being a metalhead. I did however notice I had to adjust the TCR to 165 after the Splinter's coil resistance which jumped up to 0.27Ohm and which I couldn't actually set myself on the stock firmware. With Arcticfox, I locked my resistance at 0.24 Ohm, use the PI regulation at P=1000 and I=250 and have been using TCR 175 and 75W max. I have been getting a hot spot which I will try to better capture at a later date. This might be remedied with better Temp Control parameters but has been present in Wattage mode as well. Further testing mandated...

8d4E64G.jpg

I really have been quite pleased with the performance of the Splinter so far. Fits in well with my roommate and I's arsenal.

You really are a mad genius Ryan! Thank you so much!

Last edited:

money2

@Vapsinthe
Where did you get the cooling chamber type mouthpiece in the third photo pictured above? And is it a 18>14 reducer adapter underneath?

money2,
Reactions: Summer

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
In wattage mode right? I've never gone above 40w in wattage mode. In TC the wattage usually only exceeds 50w during heatup. I might honestly be wrong though...

Probably fine but it's unclear whether it can damage the heater or not in the long term. The mesh wires can only carry that much current and you don't want to make them glow or worse vaporize altogether.

In the Divine Tribe thread they use for instance a very low max wattage even in TC mode, as several users made their heating element go pop by going too high.

So to be safe, I believe the 50W recommendation applies regardless if it's only during heatup (as in TC mode) or continuous (VW mode)

ZC

I hadn't realized RBT was shutting down, including repairs until April? Guess there's no point sending my splinter in for a while. Oh well.

ZC,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom